Wanna Free Trip To Visit Us In Seattle?

First, a huge thanks to those of you who have sent me photos of yourselves with my new book “The Best Camera Is The One That’s With You”. It’s been fun and inspiring and great to see the book in far-off places like Japan and Paris. Lots of new faces and some familiar ones.

But more than that, you’ve got me fired up. I just stumbled across this link on my book’s Amazon.com page (directly beneath the image of the book) that allows you to “share your own customer images”. What? This could be fun. I’d love to see more of these images, and I’d love a place for you to see them…so call me crazy, but I thought we’d pull together a little game.

First, here’s what you can win:

Every week from now till the end of the year (11 weeks) I’ll pick my favorite photo of someone with my book, and I’ll send that person a signed, limited edition print from the book. I’d love to see images of you with the book in fun, far off places or on your couch, in the Sarhara Desert, or heck, at the Apple store (on sale there too!). Think garden gnome. Anything fun/interesting. And then, at some point during the game, I’ll pick one entry that’s the most interesting or fun and I’ll fly that person–all expenses paid, airfare, hotel, & meals–from anywhere in the world, to spend a day with us at the studio in Seattle. We’ll do lunch. And probably some other fun stuff too. “Winners” announced via Twitter and Facebook.

Second, here’s how you play:

[UPDATE: the rules below outline that you must post to both Amazon and Facebook. For those of you that can only post to FB because you're not an Amazon customer, don't sweat it. But keep two things in mind. 1) Don't think of this as a crazy "competition" I'll be looking at both places to find people to send prints to... If you can't post to Amazon, I'll understand and 2) this is as much as possible about having some fun over at Amazon.com... so keep that in mind. If you can post there, please do... now back to your regular programming...]

1. Buy the book if you can or want. (Amazon. B&N.;)
2. Take a photo of yourself with your The Best Camera book (or a borrowed book if you can’t swing one), or just the book if you’re shy but extra points for people in there, and make it fun, interesting, creative, or simple.
3. Upload that image to my Amazon.com “share your own customer images” link.
4. ‘Become a fan’ on my Facebook fan page. And under the “wall” tab in the ‘what’s on your mind’ window atop the page, write your name WHERE YOU’RE FROM and a url if you’d like. Click on the ‘add photos’ icon.

[Click 'continue reading' link below.]

5. Based on geographic location, fun factor, interest level or anything else that catches my eye, I’ll select one “signed print” winner every week from now till the end of the year and I’ll announce that weekly winner on my Facebook fan page and via my Twitter.
6. And at some point during this whole mess, I’ll host one person to come visit us in Seattle – all expenses paid.

It’s that easy. And remember ANY CAMERA. It’s not about the camera – it’s about the fun pictures of you and my art book.

Enter as many times as you like. Entries should start immediately – the week has already begun.

As an aside, I’ve received tweets that the book has sold out from several places, but generally speaking…
_You can find the book online at Amazon, B&N;, and Borders.
_You can find the book at your local bookstore.
_You can find the book at most Apple retail stores (stoked! how sweet/lucky is that!)
_And of course, if you don’t find the book at a place you want to see it, request it. That always does the author some good.

And if you’re liking what you’re reading, I would always appreciate a rate/review of the book on Amazon. Thanks.

Please have fun with this. Spread the word. I’ll love to see you getting clever with this little book (and clever with Amazon – has anybody ever done this?)

[btw, if you're at all worried about what places like Amazon and Facebook can do with your images, then read the fine print. Would they ever use a quirky image of you with my book to "advertise" Facebook? God I'd hope so, but I'd bet my shooting finger that it would never happen in a million years. My hope is that you're not bothered by those things given the context...these are supposed to be fun snapshots of you with a quirky book ;) ]

Get my every move: Follow Chase Jarvis on Twitter
Get exclusive content: Become a Fan on Facebook

48 Responses to Wanna Free Trip To Visit Us In Seattle?

1. Corey Grusden October 19, 2009 at 2:46 pm #

Hell yea!

2. Shelby White October 19, 2009 at 2:56 pm #

First I need a copy of the book

3. Jack Pope October 19, 2009 at 2:59 pm #

This just moved to the top of my list of priorities

4. Squid Vicious October 19, 2009 at 3:00 pm #

lets the games begin!!!!

5. Anonymous October 19, 2009 at 3:00 pm #

I'm well up for this!!! Just to clarify you can take the photo with any camera I am guessing, rather than just the I-Phone?

6. herrgott olav October 19, 2009 at 3:01 pm #

yeah, really nice idea!

7. Zak.Shelhamer October 19, 2009 at 3:16 pm #

Heck yes, your going to have some funny stuff coming your way.

8. Chase Jarvis October 19, 2009 at 3:25 pm #

@ anon: yes any camera. the best camera is the one that's with you.

9. Camden October 19, 2009 at 5:01 pm #

This is an amazing concept. By the way, you should do some events near SF sometime in the near future.

10. Camden October 19, 2009 at 5:20 pm #

Sorry about the double post but I think this guy deserves to win: http://www.amazon.com/Best-Camera-One-Thats-You/product-reviews/0321684788/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints;=0&filterBy;=addOneStar

11. mvastudios October 19, 2009 at 5:29 pm #

Are there any restrictions as to where you'll fly the winner from?

12. Chase Jarvis October 19, 2009 at 6:03 pm #

@mvastudios: no restrictions.

13. Sean Hagwell October 19, 2009 at 6:28 pm #

Quite possibly the coolest contest I've ever seen. Awesome job Chase. Best part? No fine print.

14. jules October 19, 2009 at 6:57 pm #

Sorry to be thick, but do you have to take the pic of yourself with the book, or can someone take a pic of someone else with the book? … you see I haven't yet worked out how to use the self-timer on my camera ;-)

15. Chase Jarvis October 19, 2009 at 7:05 pm #

@ jules: anybody can take a picture with any camera of you with the book anywhere.

have fun with it. some points for geography, some points for fun, originality, hilarity, beauty. easy peasy…

16. Travis October 19, 2009 at 7:07 pm #

Step one- order off amazon.

17. Leo Zuck October 19, 2009 at 8:36 pm #

Seeing as Amazon requires you to have an active account (with purchase history) in order to upload photos, what do I do if I bought the book somewhere else?

18. Tristan Wheelock October 19, 2009 at 10:29 pm #

Man I really wish I could compete this. However, I'm based in Delhi and the odds of me being able to find the book over here in India are pretty low. Especially since Amazon won't mail things to India. Any suggestions? I really like the idea of this project and would love to spend a day with Chase in Seattle…

19. Anonymous October 20, 2009 at 12:49 am #

Wow, you're really putting the comm back into commercial photography, as in comm get my book and make me even more successful and wealthy. I used to think you were all about seeing other people attain what you have but I'm starting to think you're all about seeing other people wanting what you have. I reckon it's time to go back to your roots, btw what are you're roots? Are you rags to riches? Riches to riches? Considering all your exposure we know so little, self taught, Nikon master, hasselblad master, successful commercial photographer, but ultimately your followers want a piece of what you have, how'd that happen for you?

Time to really 'share'.

20. TC October 20, 2009 at 2:31 am #

1… 2… 3… Somebody posting a photo of them self reading this while sitting on the John…

21. Fabio October 20, 2009 at 5:25 am #

Hey Chase, in order for me to be able to post an image on the amazon.com page with the link you mentioned in your post, i have to buy something from amazon.COM, which would be f***ing expensive from germany. So this is kind of a showstopper to the game, because it limits the participants to be US Residents?

22. fas October 20, 2009 at 8:28 am #

Lets get rolling here :)

23. Luke October 20, 2009 at 12:35 pm #

I would actually love this more than anything right now! Damn! No way I'm gonna win though :P

24. myboo October 20, 2009 at 6:29 pm #

I'm having the exact same problem as Fabio and Leo ): I'm fine with paying the extra if need be BUT the shipping takes ages! I want to start asap, so is it possible to bypass the Amazon step….please? (:

25. Tobbe October 20, 2009 at 11:00 pm #

Now I just need amazon to deliver the book to Sweden, hopefully we will se eachother in Seattle

26. Chase Jarvis October 21, 2009 at 1:32 am #

@ myboo
    @fabio
    @leo

i just updated the post. check it out. basically – do what you can. pictures of you with the book is what i want to see. if you can put 'em in both facebook and amazon. that's ideal. we want to have some fun over at amazon. if you can only put pics at facebook due to some particular restriction, then that's fine too. i'll be looking at both place.

peace.

27. naqiewei October 21, 2009 at 10:24 am #

very beautiful.I like it. If have interesting my book,
    please see my web:http://autumn1996.googlepages.com
    there have my some photo and my The Limited Edition Book ‘CARVED STONE ART IN SOUTHERN DYNASTY TOMBS’

28. Ryan Struck October 21, 2009 at 2:47 pm #

Cool contest! Love the book. Can I post only to Amazon and still win? I do not have a facebook account.

29. Ike October 21, 2009 at 6:28 pm #

Chase, I just received the book today! I love the overall message of embracing our inner creative and bending minds. Our cameras capture images but WE create them. Damn technology…although I still adore technology. :)

30. Heather October 22, 2009 at 1:39 am #

Sweet… I'm down! I wanna play around in a studio and learn. ^o^ /heads off to find book.
    Not to mention, the book looks really interesting. :D

31. Oddgeir October 22, 2009 at 6:01 am #

Bought one just now:)

32. TProphet October 22, 2009 at 9:35 pm #

…but what if I already live in Seattle? We're neighbors! Well, your studio and my warehouse are neighbors anyway.

Oddly enough this has been the case for a couple of years now without us knowing one another. Until you shut down the entire street for a block party, that is. Let me know next time you want to make some noise, and I can bring out some reinforcements. ;)

Anyway, I'm going to China in a couple of weeks so I'll try to get an interesting picture there with your book.

-TProphet / Orca Sound

33. mjk_photo October 22, 2009 at 9:59 pm #

Um yeah… thinking the book is a must have!
    Stoked to go check it out Chase!

34. herotactics October 23, 2009 at 12:29 pm #

where can I buy the book in seattle??

35. kellyrountree October 24, 2009 at 9:26 am #

Oh HELL YESS!!!!
    Chase… this is a great idea and some lucky bastard is going to have the time of his or her life…
    Hope its me … pics coming!!

36. Mer Phillips October 24, 2009 at 9:02 pm #

very excited and motivated, see you soon!

37. Chase Jarvis October 26, 2009 at 10:22 am #

@ herotactics: it sells out in seattle a lot, so seems to be in constant re-order. I just heard from someone yesterday that they are stocking it on a table right by the front checkout at U Village Barnes & Noble…

38. islami sohbet October 31, 2009 at 3:57 pm #

Yep I rellay want to be there but there is alot of work to do, I need more time. Thanks dor the idea.

39. punchphoto November 2, 2009 at 9:09 am #

Do we hafta have facebook profiles? I actually lack one.

40. Chase Jarvis November 2, 2009 at 11:19 am #

@ punchphoto: nope. you can upload to the books Amazon page, per the instructions in the post. I'll be watching both places.

41. Corey Grusden November 5, 2009 at 6:40 am #

Awesome, submitted. Lots of cool little shots on the Amazon page already!

42. David November 6, 2009 at 6:16 am #

I actually had a dream the other night that I won this… Actually, there was more than one winner in my dream, and when we got to your studio it was a lot like Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. It was weird.

Guess I have to buy the book and enter now, don't I…?

43. michalgarcia.com December 13, 2009 at 1:50 am #

Dude! I just finished shooting some stuff and it was super energizing. Can't wait to shoot some more. Putting it up on facebook really soon :-)

44. Anthony Perez May 10, 2010 at 9:10 am #

The title of this book has been one of my favourite quotes for a very long time! Think im gonna get it!

45. Bennett Merring April 10, 2014 at 9:00 pm #

I am a smoker for about 6 many years. I really hope that I’ll eradicate this lousy habbit, mainly mainly because of money, not health and fitness.

46. Terry Schul July 31, 2014 at 8:14 am #

I’m impressed, I need to say. In fact

1. There are NO Excuses « 2D Photography Inc. - May 17, 2010

[...] pictures, it’s not as much about what you’re using as what you’re shooting.  Chase Jarvis says it best with his line “the best camera is the one that’s with you” [...]