Wanna Free Trip To Visit Us In Seattle?

First, a huge thanks to those of you who have sent me photos of yourselves with my new book “The Best Camera Is The One That’s With You”. It’s been fun and inspiring and great to see the book in far-off places like Japan and Paris. Lots of new faces and some familiar ones.

But more than that, you’ve got me fired up. I just stumbled across this link on my book’s Amazon.com page (directly beneath the image of the book) that allows you to “share your own customer images”. What? This could be fun. I’d love to see more of these images, and I’d love a place for you to see them…so call me crazy, but I thought we’d pull together a little game.

First, here’s what you can win:

Every week from now till the end of the year (11 weeks) I’ll pick my favorite photo of someone with my book, and I’ll send that person a signed, limited edition print from the book. I’d love to see images of you with the book in fun, far off places or on your couch, in the Sarhara Desert, or heck, at the Apple store (on sale there too!). Think garden gnome. Anything fun/interesting. And then, at some point during the game, I’ll pick one entry that’s the most interesting or fun and I’ll fly that person–all expenses paid, airfare, hotel, & meals–from anywhere in the world, to spend a day with us at the studio in Seattle. We’ll do lunch. And probably some other fun stuff too. “Winners” announced via Twitter and Facebook.

Second, here’s how you play:

[UPDATE: the rules below outline that you must post to both Amazon and Facebook. For those of you that can only post to FB because you’re not an Amazon customer, don’t sweat it. But keep two things in mind. 1) Don’t think of this as a crazy “competition” I’ll be looking at both places to find people to send prints to… If you can’t post to Amazon, I’ll understand and 2) this is as much as possible about having some fun over at Amazon.com… so keep that in mind. If you can post there, please do… now back to your regular programming…]

1. Buy the book if you can or want. (Amazon. B&N.;)
2. Take a photo of yourself with your The Best Camera book (or a borrowed book if you can’t swing one), or just the book if you’re shy but extra points for people in there, and make it fun, interesting, creative, or simple.
3. Upload that image to my Amazon.com “share your own customer images” link.
4. ‘Become a fan’ on my Facebook fan page. And under the “wall” tab in the ‘what’s on your mind’ window atop the page, write your name WHERE YOU’RE FROM and a url if you’d like. Click on the ‘add photos’ icon.

[Click ‘continue reading’ link below.]

5. Based on geographic location, fun factor, interest level or anything else that catches my eye, I’ll select one “signed print” winner every week from now till the end of the year and I’ll announce that weekly winner on my Facebook fan page and via my Twitter.
6. And at some point during this whole mess, I’ll host one person to come visit us in Seattle – all expenses paid.

It’s that easy. And remember ANY CAMERA. It’s not about the camera – it’s about the fun pictures of you and my art book.

Enter as many times as you like. Entries should start immediately – the week has already begun.

As an aside, I’ve received tweets that the book has sold out from several places, but generally speaking…
_You can find the book online at Amazon, B&N;, and Borders.
_You can find the book at your local bookstore.
_You can find the book at most Apple retail stores (stoked! how sweet/lucky is that!)
_And of course, if you don’t find the book at a place you want to see it, request it. That always does the author some good.

And if you’re liking what you’re reading, I would always appreciate a rate/review of the book on Amazon. Thanks.

Please have fun with this. Spread the word. I’ll love to see you getting clever with this little book (and clever with Amazon – has anybody ever done this?)

[btw, if you’re at all worried about what places like Amazon and Facebook can do with your images, then read the fine print. Would they ever use a quirky image of you with my book to “advertise” Facebook? God I’d hope so, but I’d bet my shooting finger that it would never happen in a million years. My hope is that you’re not bothered by those things given the context…these are supposed to be fun snapshots of you with a quirky book ;)]

Get my every move: Follow Chase Jarvis on Twitter
Get exclusive content: Become a Fan on Facebook

Terry Schul says:

I’m impressed, I need to say. In fact

I am a smoker for about 6 many years. I really hope that I’ll eradicate this lousy habbit, mainly mainly because of money, not health and fitness.

The title of this book has been one of my favourite quotes for a very long time! Think im gonna get it!

Dude! I just finished shooting some stuff and it was super energizing. Can't wait to shoot some more. Putting it up on facebook really soon :-)

David says:

I actually had a dream the other night that I won this… Actually, there was more than one winner in my dream, and when we got to your studio it was a lot like Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. It was weird.

Guess I have to buy the book and enter now, don't I…?

Awesome, submitted. Lots of cool little shots on the Amazon page already!

Chase Jarvis says:

@ punchphoto: nope. you can upload to the books Amazon page, per the instructions in the post. I'll be watching both places.

punchphoto says:

Do we hafta have facebook profiles? I actually lack one.

Yep I rellay want to be there but there is alot of work to do, I need more time. Thanks dor the idea.

Chase Jarvis says:

@ herotactics: it sells out in seattle a lot, so seems to be in constant re-order. I just heard from someone yesterday that they are stocking it on a table right by the front checkout at U Village Barnes & Noble…

Mer Phillips says:

very excited and motivated, see you soon!

Oh HELL YESS!!!!
Chase… this is a great idea and some lucky bastard is going to have the time of his or her life…
Hope its me … pics coming!!

herotactics says:

where can I buy the book in seattle??

mjk_photo says:

Um yeah… thinking the book is a must have!
Stoked to go check it out Chase!

TProphet says:

…but what if I already live in Seattle? We're neighbors! Well, your studio and my warehouse are neighbors anyway.

Oddly enough this has been the case for a couple of years now without us knowing one another. Until you shut down the entire street for a block party, that is. Let me know next time you want to make some noise, and I can bring out some reinforcements. ;)

Anyway, I'm going to China in a couple of weeks so I'll try to get an interesting picture there with your book.

-TProphet / Orca Sound

Oddgeir says:

Bought one just now:)

Heather says:

Sweet… I'm down! I wanna play around in a studio and learn. ^o^ /heads off to find book.
Not to mention, the book looks really interesting. :D

Ike says:

Chase, I just received the book today! I love the overall message of embracing our inner creative and bending minds. Our cameras capture images but WE create them. Damn technology…although I still adore technology. :)

Ryan Struck says:

Cool contest! Love the book. Can I post only to Amazon and still win? I do not have a facebook account.

naqiewei says:

very beautiful.I like it. If have interesting my book,
please see my web:http://autumn1996.googlepages.com
there have my some photo and my The Limited Edition Book ‘CARVED STONE ART IN SOUTHERN DYNASTY TOMBS’

Chase Jarvis says:

@ myboo
@fabio
@leo

i just updated the post. check it out. basically – do what you can. pictures of you with the book is what i want to see. if you can put 'em in both facebook and amazon. that's ideal. we want to have some fun over at amazon. if you can only put pics at facebook due to some particular restriction, then that's fine too. i'll be looking at both place.

peace.

Tobbe says:

Now I just need amazon to deliver the book to Sweden, hopefully we will se eachother in Seattle

myboo says:

I'm having the exact same problem as Fabio and Leo ): I'm fine with paying the extra if need be BUT the shipping takes ages! I want to start asap, so is it possible to bypass the Amazon step….please? (:

Luke says:

I would actually love this more than anything right now! Damn! No way I'm gonna win though :P

fas says:

Lets get rolling here :)

Fabio says:

Hey Chase, in order for me to be able to post an image on the amazon.com page with the link you mentioned in your post, i have to buy something from amazon.COM, which would be f***ing expensive from germany. So this is kind of a showstopper to the game, because it limits the participants to be US Residents?

TC says:

1… 2… 3… Somebody posting a photo of them self reading this while sitting on the John…

Anonymous says:

Wow, you're really putting the comm back into commercial photography, as in comm get my book and make me even more successful and wealthy. I used to think you were all about seeing other people attain what you have but I'm starting to think you're all about seeing other people wanting what you have. I reckon it's time to go back to your roots, btw what are you're roots? Are you rags to riches? Riches to riches? Considering all your exposure we know so little, self taught, Nikon master, hasselblad master, successful commercial photographer, but ultimately your followers want a piece of what you have, how'd that happen for you?

Time to really 'share'.

Man I really wish I could compete this. However, I'm based in Delhi and the odds of me being able to find the book over here in India are pretty low. Especially since Amazon won't mail things to India. Any suggestions? I really like the idea of this project and would love to spend a day with Chase in Seattle…

Leo Zuck says:

Seeing as Amazon requires you to have an active account (with purchase history) in order to upload photos, what do I do if I bought the book somewhere else?

Travis says:

Step one- order off amazon.

Chase Jarvis says:

@ jules: anybody can take a picture with any camera of you with the book anywhere.

have fun with it. some points for geography, some points for fun, originality, hilarity, beauty. easy peasy…

jules says:

Sorry to be thick, but do you have to take the pic of yourself with the book, or can someone take a pic of someone else with the book? … you see I haven't yet worked out how to use the self-timer on my camera ;-)

Sean Hagwell says:

Quite possibly the coolest contest I've ever seen. Awesome job Chase. Best part? No fine print.

Chase Jarvis says:

@mvastudios: no restrictions.

mvastudios says:

Are there any restrictions as to where you'll fly the winner from?

Camden says:

This is an amazing concept. By the way, you should do some events near SF sometime in the near future.

Chase Jarvis says:

@ anon: yes any camera. the best camera is the one that's with you.

Heck yes, your going to have some funny stuff coming your way.

herrgott olav says:

yeah, really nice idea!

Anonymous says:

I'm well up for this!!! Just to clarify you can take the photo with any camera I am guessing, rather than just the I-Phone?

lets the games begin!!!!

Jack Pope says:

This just moved to the top of my list of priorities

Shelby White says:

First I need a copy of the book