We’re on A Rocketship

“The good thing about being young is that we are not experienced enough to know we cannot possibly do the things we are doing.” – Gene Brown

How dope is this? I hope I’m not alone in thinking how amazing it is that there’s a cross section of our culture that’s getting to make stuff like this in public high school film & media classes. (Note: this was probably inspired by an earlier lipdub vid from some college students…)

On a daily basis I feel lucky to be in the middle of what I’d call a typhoon of media democratization, opportunity, and creativity. But give these teens in Mr. Mitchell’s 4th period class (at nearby Shorecrest High School) a couple of years and some more technology, and they’re gonna bottle up this current typhoon and eat it for an after-school snack. And I freakin’ love it.

I’m totally inspired and optimistic for the future of creativity. And I think you should be too. (Or at least dancing with these kids from Shorecrest.)

Get my every move: Follow Chase Jarvis on Twitter
Get exclusive content: Become a Fan on Facebook

explanation says:

Excellent goods from you, man. I’ve take into accout your stuff previous to and you are simply extremely fantastic. I really like what you have got right here, really like what you’re saying and the way during which you are saying it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to stay it smart. I cant wait to learn much more from you. This is really a great website.

One clip….pretty awesome! Great job by them!

dan bowen says:

I showed this video to the video production class I teach. My high school kids loved it! Thanks Chase for sharing it.

MD says:

BTW, if you watch the behind the scenes video of the Canadian "I Got a Feeling" production, you can see that they used a stedicam. Not a very substantial one none-the-less since the video is definitely more jumpy than this one.

Chase Jarvis says:

@kollino: nice job on the steadicam man.

Kollino says:

Hey i did the steadicam work for that. Email me if you have any questions

Kollino@comcast.net

Kollin O'Dannel

Ryan Smith says:

Great stuff! I smiled the whole way through it just thinking about how much fun this must have been to make. I wish I would of had a class like this in high school.

David Sowers says:

That was one take, does anyone realize how ridiculous that is…insane and inspiring!

Stephen says:

Stephen

You need to get out more around the schools Chase, they start this stuff around age 7 or 8 :D
My kids are doing it around the house and it's amazing just what they come up with.

Jim says:

Trent: Great Stuff !!!
Anonymous: Lets see your stuff.
Chase: RAD. Tnx.

i want to go back to high school!

Dustin says:

The creativity coming from students these days is amazing. Media will just get stronger and better as time goes on. A friend of mine is a Spanish teacher at a junior high. Last year she gave her students an assignment to make their own music videos to Spanish songs. Some of these videos blew me away with their creativity and their use of different editing and shot angles. I never put this much effort into any of my assignments when I was in junior high. She is the most creative teacher I know and her enthusiasm rubs off on the kids.

There are some examples of the videos at http://www.teachertube.com/viewVideo.php?video_id=115962&title;=La_Bamba&ref;=Barksdale

The Te Amo one, although not a lipdub, is awesome and one first place among the kids voting: http://www.teachertube.com/viewVideo.php?video_id=115857&title;=Te_Amo&ref;=Barksdale

Keep in mind, this is not even for a media class but for a Spanish class.

Anonymous says:

MAoPLD (Massive amount of people lip dubbin).

Life is full of "you had to be there" moments, and this was no doubt one (or many) of those. It matters little how many times something has "been done," what might matter more is when you actually go out and do it yourself. There are few substitutes for experience and in terms of media production specifically, wrestling with content can be a beast. This is a nice example of setting up an objective, completing it cooperatively, and putting it out there. Right on!

Adam says:

I teach high school photography. I thought this post was great, inspirational and relevant. What Trent and his 4th period class pulled off here is really difficult to do at a high school. I like the energy, and you have everyday people doing their best.
@Chase: Thanks for posting.
@Trent: Nice job on this. I was sitting here wondering how you got not only your whole class but a big part of the rest of the school in on this. It is a logistical nightmare. Love it. Nice job. Your students did a really nice job. I can confirm that if I tried to do this at my school, White River High School, it would take a lot of planning, and my students would have to really work hard to pull it off. I'll show this to my classes and send you some of there comments.
Lastly, if there is some anonymous teacher out there that does better than this on a regular basis, I'd sure like to see it… :)

Wow, a 4 minutes scene… amazing! :)

"I'm totally inspired and optimistic for the future of creativity."

I couldn't agree more! It's great to see these kids having such fun and coming together to do something creative.

batgeek says:

Original or not, authenticity counts! And what I also got from this is that it didn't matter if color was properly right or if I was watching it on HD… I had fun, I was entertained. The music plus the visuals took me emotionally to another place in the middle of a workday at the office. Photography and Video have that power. Technical aspects became low priority… Love it!

Anonymous says:

if you are unprepared for criticisms you should not put your work out for public consumption, and as I am the only person to critique it without glowing praise, you should take comfort in that my opinion is in the minority – focus on the positive, not the negative. You should simply be graceful in thanking me for my comments and reaffirming your stance regarding your pride over this project. That being said, this video fails "for me" to live up the the claim to bring inspiration and optimism to the future of creativity. it is in fact simply a video of a group of children jumping around and lipsynching with no apparent purpose or creative theme. what does the power rangers suit symbolize, or was it worn to be "wacky"? same question for the ties around the head, its just kids being "goofy" on camera.

And you are in fact, incorrect. I am a faculty member who teaches new media development at the collegiate level, not a grumpy old man trying to float his house away with balloons, which may explain my criticism, its what i "do".

Trent says:

Anonymous: want you saw as unprganized was planned. I don't know how else to explain it to you. You don't have to like it, but you act like you know what they did and how they prepared, which you do not.
Two weeks of my class was spent preparing for this video so no, you're criticism on their EFFORT and preparation is not just. It even seems more unjustified when you consider the age of these kids. You obviously don't teach and/or know anything about working with high school kids because you're comments reflect a complete lack of understanding of their abilities and efforts.
I will not reply or read this thread anymore because I am seriously disappointed in it's direction.
We will be posting the "making of" on youtube soon which will really show the true effort of these kids,

Anonymous says:

trent,
i appreciate your response. i feel my criticism was just. this video was presented as some great inspirational hope showing the promise of the creative possibilities of the future, and i disagree. It did not live up to the hype, that was my criticism. I did not see hours of rehearsal and dry run throughs, i simply saw a group of unorganized students jumping around mugging for the camera in a chaotic fashion. They simply saw what someone else did and copied it with a complete lack of creativity or originality on their own part. That is not a bad thing, but it is defiantly not an inspiration to me or does it somehow instill in me this great glowing reverence for the creative promise of the youth of today. If the students had organized on a Saturday to do this, that might impress me a bit more, but kids will do anything to get out of class.

I respect your opinion and your efforts as a teacher of the creative arts to our youth, please do not take my criticism personally. But this is neither creative or inspiring, not for high school students or even for trained circus animals for that matter. two thumbs down.

Trent says:

It's funny, we watched the Harvey Danger video in class and we weren't very impressed. I'm still not actually, but that's just my opinion.(I've been a professional videographer for almost 15 years so my standards are a bit high.) The students felt this video was fairly boring, amateurish, and pretty easy to do. Plus, the SC kids organized and directed 200 other students during the middle of the school day, which is quite a feat in itself and much more difficult than getting 30 people to buy into your concept.
That being said (or, "having said that" for you Curb fans out there) I, unlike my students, absolutely LOVE the energy in the Harvery Danger video.

Sometimes I have to remind myself you can't reinvent the wheel every time you make a video because almost all videos, like music and photography, are derivative of something else.

Bone says:

This one – http://www.vimeo.com/173714 – done so well 3 years ago sets a standard. In fact, it's still getting almost 1,000 new views a day.

I am proud of the students for creating something fun and using it as a learning experience. But, three years later, I would be more inspired not by them rehashing what's been done, but showing me something I haven't seen before.

- Bone

1berto says:

Trent, ill show 2 thumbs up for what you said.

Anonimous, i respect your opinion, but you analized this work by a wrong point of view.

I think that anyone is special.
And work like those can bring these "kids" for a new word of creativity.

You can like or not, but you MUST respect the anothers work.

Best regards.

Trent says:

Anonymous: You have no idea how long it took to make this video. Literally hours upon hours of work. The storyboarding, the camera-free practices, the memorization of parts, the rehearsals (this was take 9), the creation of signs, and of course trying to block properly. This was an assignment for my class. It was in no way an attempt for my students to get famous. You can see my running around with a megaphone throughout the video.
Thumbs down to you anonymous. Ignorance is bliss sometimes I suppose, but your comments show absolutely no understanding of what these kids did.
Next time before you reply to a thread like this, you might want to consider knowing what your talking about.

John Wormdal says:

Warmed my heart! So energizing and cool:) Thanks for sharing Chase!

-John

Anonymous says:

i am neither inspired nor motivated by this. there was no plan, story boarding or extensive creative work done in this clip. To me it was simply a group of kids who have no jobs and lots of free time who came up with a quick and unispired way to try to "get famous" in today's celebrity obsessed culture.

In reality, you are acknowledging the complete opposite of what you are hoping for, you are acknowledging a sloppy unispired poorly planned video piece done by individuals simply looking for attention and notoriety. "hey, if we jump around to music and be goofy we will get on tv." this is the same mentality that makes kids swear and act obnoxious in the mall…for attention. just because they filmed it doesn't make it special.

i'm sorry, but two thumbs down.

Erebus says:

Wow. Totally lightyears beyond anything I or anyone I knew could/would have been capable of at that age. And all one LONG shot (I'm a fan of long shots)

Frank near Toronto

Cynthia Wood says:

Wonderful. Adorable. Inspired. Inspiring. And so apparently all-inclusive…which seems to run counter to all those stereotypes about high school being a war zone for "difference" among kids, and a veritable pressure-cooker for conformity. I didn't see much (if any) evidence of that here, and that part probably warms my heart the most. Thanks for sharing!

Cynthia Wood says:

Trent says:

Hi there,
This is Trent Mitchell. I am the teacher of the Shorecrest Video class that made the lip-dub video. First, of all, thanks Chase for posting the video. Coincidentally, we have linked to your page quite a few times in my Digital Photography class to show examples of local photography.
Secondly, I liked to explain something to the people here that have thrown around the word "copy." We didn't copy anyone. If you look on youtube you can find hundreds of lip-dubs, all of which use one tracking shot with multiple people lip sycing. Many people think the Quebec version is the original lip-dub. It's not. There have been hundreds before it and there will probablly be hundreds more. If you look at all the lip dubs on youtube you will see the students in the Quebec video borrowed a ton of ideas from the others. We did as well. In the Quebec video we specifically liked how all the students met in one spot at the end of the video, and we definitely wanted to do that as well.
Third, believe it or not, our video was about as organized as you will get in high school while trying to shoot during a short class period. We were so fortunate to have a bunch of cool teachers at Shorecrest that enabled "extras" to help make the video.
The notoriety the students have received after making the lip dub has been very similar to that of a team winning a state championship. The kids have been on TV, the radio, and all over the Internet. And most of them are only 16. I can't even put into words how happy I am for the kids.
Thanks again for posting the video and keep spreading it around!
Trent

Merwen says:

My mind is open to other Country, i Come from France.
AND after some research on the net, i,ve finally found several french business school versions !!

1berto says:

Merwen, if you see the original video, you will see that is a much better version than the american copy.

I don´t want depreciate the american version. Is beautiful, but this version doesn´t have the impact of original.

And we are in globalize world. We can find great ideas in USA, French, Brazil, Canada, German, Paquistan and in all another countries.

Don´t close your eyes.
Open your mind for foreign ideas.

Best regards (and sorry my poor english).

Merwen said…
I love USA for that, you'll never see that in France…

1berto says:

The canadian video is much better, because in this case the director planned each take carefully. In american version we can see a caotic structure. For me, this version was filmed without a plan.

But is amazing how the internet is a teacher for all this young students. They can acess ideas from all world and assimilated to create new things in video, photo, cinema and another arts types.

Sorry my porr english.

Best regards for all.

Jack Pope says:

One of the coolest things I have ever seen! Incredibly inspirational, especially as I am in high school!

Jack Pope says:

One of the coolest things I've ever seen! Incredibly inspirational, especially as I am in high school!

Tyler Austin says:

Unbelievable planning/storyboarding and execution skills. Especially at the high school level. I agree with Jarvis, excited to see these kids and generation progress.

Merwen says:

I love USA for that, you'll never see that in France…

Here's a lipdub from the CEGEP students in Montreal on I Gotta A Feeling.

Awesome stuff!

Truly awesome and inspirational! I want a class of teens to teach this stuff to! Yeah!!

Moises E says:

Are this lipdubs in anyway inspired by this old one? http://www.vimeo.com/1287067

Chris Plante says:

AWESOME! 23 years ago, we didn't anything near that cool in HS.

Duluk says:

Now that was cool. And creat….organized.

I can't decide if my favorite part is the "lend me some sugar" with the guy tossing a cup of sugar in the air, or the credits: "Starring/A lot of people".

Nice. Thanks for sharing…and the other links.

Not exactly like Improv Everywhere, but it's somewhere in there…

that is quite awesome :)

I can only hope that the progress being made is shared worldwide(and i mean all over the world) and not restricted to a few pockets. THAT's where the real explosion's gonna come in!

Amazing creativity and coordination – more than a life altering experience for all involved. Would LOVE to see a bio of the kids 10 years from now. Thanks for posting – the bar is now higher…

mugget says:

haha – what a sweet vid.

good to see a whole bunch of kids having fun and jiving around. like it alot!

Tom says:

Awesome video and very creative! One thing that most people don't understand is all the prep work to create these videos. Thanks for sharing this.

Hey Ya!

Chase Jarvis says:

@ jordan. no relation, but he did send me the link!

Jordan Demer says:

I noticed there is a kid with the last name of Jarvis in the credits…. Any connection to you?

thats awesome that it is one constant clip. no screwing up and organizing that many people is pretty rad

Zach Hodgson says:

Chase, I just wanted to thank you for sharing this. As adults in society, we tend to take ourselves too seriously. It's easy to get caught up in success and drive and forget to have fun. Thanks for this little reminder of what a little directed youthful ambition, passion, and excitement can lead to. It's important to let go of maturity every once in a while. I'll keep this in mind in my future work and play.

Chase Jarvis says:

yeah, but they're canaaadian. ;) j/k

totally love the UQAM vid and just giving a shoutout to the locals here in Seattle. but it further supports my point. these kids are in highschool. they took something and built on it. and they used a steadicam ;)

it's a new era of creativity and media literacy.

Alain says:

Have you seen the lipdub from the students of the communication department of UQAM?

Probably the best considering it was the first one to hit it big. I just wished they rented a steadicam!