$10,000 For 2 Images

Wanna make $5000 for an image? Check it.

Hopefully you remember the campaign I shot for SanDisk down in New Zealand last autumn. The images were a blast to create and–if you recall–SanDisk was cool enough to let me blog/tweet/facebook about shooting the ads in real time, which made it the first global campaign of its kind.

We made a whole lotta videos and did a several follow up posts, and I received a ton of great feedback from this community about how beneficial this was. If that was true for you, then this might just be the gift that keeps on giving…

SanDisk has decided to give back to our community in the form of pure cash money. They partnered with the kickass crew at Freeskier and Snowboard magazines to bring you The Best Photo Sequence contest. Simple idea: the best skiing and the best snowboard photo sequence selected from a panel of judges that include the photo editors from both magazines and yours truly, will EACH win $5000 bucks cash and have their image run in the mags. Contest just started and runs thru April 1. So get your gear and some gloves and go make some magic.

[update: possible good news for international readers. we're hearin' ya about the US only thing. That said, SanDisk is being SUPER cool, there's a bunch of legal hoops to jump thru here in the US to make contests avail in other countries, but they're working on it. If the legal team can get it pulled together this week, we'll let you know. Stay tuned!]

As an aside, this is sorta cool. We had this crazy idea to create a TV show outta our trip down under making this campaign. We pitched it to The Ski Channel and Resort Sports Network and they BOTH went for it. So if you find yourselves… [click the 'continue reading' link below]

…with on-demand cable or you’re in areas where RSN is a featured program (detail forthcoming), check it out and send us your feedback. It will also be available as another episode in a forthcoming podcast, later this week.

Lots more info at www.bestphotosequence.com.

Related videos + posts from the SanDisk job to further whet your palette for $5-$10,000 bucks:

[Now You Know, Sandisk Extreme Pro]
[Photo Gear Mania]
[Chase Jarvis CURRENT: SanDisk Q&A; Follow-up]
[Behind The Curtain: Guts of a Commercial Shoot Video]
[Video Report From the Heliworks Barn]
[Video: Packing Quick 'n' Dirty]
[Chase Jarvis RAW: NZ Basecamp]
[UPDATED behind-the-scenes snapshot gallery]

Get my every move: Follow Chase Jarvis on Twitter

Get exclusive content: Become a Fan on Facebook

28 Responses to $10,000 For 2 Images

1. Mark Gregory January 25, 2010 at 11:34 am #

Uh oh… I'm going to have to find a place with snow. Anyone in Colorado want to invite me to their cabin for a fun shooting weekend?

2. Nik January 25, 2010 at 11:36 am #

5 inches yesterday…looks like the crew will be out and about this weekend!

3. mark salmon January 25, 2010 at 11:44 am #

No love for us European people?, Contest only open to US citizens!

4. Mike January 25, 2010 at 11:56 am #

I'll change to Lexar, no contest for us canadian also !

5. Allen January 25, 2010 at 12:13 pm #

Just when I was looking for a project! Thanks for sharing. Excited to see the winning images (yes, even if they're not mine:) – http://blog.hardcastlephotography.com

6. Budski Photography January 25, 2010 at 12:20 pm #

shoot, looks like I gotta make a road trip up north to the snow!

7. John Hildebrand Photography January 25, 2010 at 12:27 pm #

wow this so killer great idea. I will go on this shoot for sure

8. Chase Jarvis January 25, 2010 at 12:41 pm #

we're hearing what you're saying about US only and here's what I can tell you is that SanDisk is being SUPER cool, there's a bunch of hoops to jump thru, but they're working on it. If the legal team can get it pulled together this week, we'll let you know!

thanks for standing by!

9. Baummer January 25, 2010 at 12:53 pm #

Good think I'm heading to Breckenridge this weekend!

10. John P. Castro January 25, 2010 at 1:32 pm #

Errr… I live in Key West, wanna take my kiteboarding sequence???

11. Trudy January 25, 2010 at 5:10 pm #

I don't know anyone who does this sport but it is a good contest idea. Also, I love the fact that you refer to the prize as "pure cash money." LOL. Nice.

12. M. S. January 25, 2010 at 6:03 pm #

Hey dude,

Tell you what, finding this web site/blog has been the coolest thing since buying my camera a month ago. Thanks for the inspiration and continuous "giving back" to the photog community.

I keep meaning to check out your studio (I live down in Graham) and maybe even run into you. Good luck to all the entrants & can't wait to see the submissions!

13. David Porter January 25, 2010 at 6:58 pm #

Wanted to say thanks for trying to open it up Internationally (esp. Canada).

14. Marshall January 25, 2010 at 8:04 pm #

Thank you thank you thank you for being part of the one photo contest I've seen recently that isn't just a dern rights grab.

- Marshall

15. Mike Yip January 25, 2010 at 9:17 pm #

there's no contest n no snow for us here in south east asia :(

16. Paul Buttle January 26, 2010 at 3:04 am #

Thanks for trying to open it up internationally…

If it can't be done, can us 'International' people enter anyway and IF we win, ask Sandisk to put the prize money towards the Haiti fundraising???

Lets us enter no matter what and would put it towards a good cause?

17. Fred January 26, 2010 at 10:36 am #

Am I misreading or is this look like a work on spec for the next Sandisk ad campain ? Even if there will be written "photo from our big winner blablabla…" on the print, this will still be an ad.
    In that case $10K is a very low fee for that type of shot….
    but at least they pay something…
    I doubt Chase's budget for the shot in NZ was so low…
    Just quick thought, but I may be wrong.
    Fred

18. Chase Jarvis January 26, 2010 at 10:02 pm #

Fred: yes, you are wrong. it's a contest to give away $5000. have fun. try to win.

19. David January 27, 2010 at 2:31 am #

Hooray for potentially being international contest :D

Too bad it's 30+ degrees here haha. However, my buddy is going to Japan for a snow trip so I'm going to force him to enter this hehe x-D

20. Anonymous January 27, 2010 at 2:47 am #

Flights from Australia, lift passes, rental gear, few dinners for friends putting me up. Hmm. Already running out of prize money ;) Good luck guys. Looking forward to some great shots

21. Bluestill January 27, 2010 at 12:04 pm #

I just got off the phone with someone who snowboards FINALLY!!! Lookout world it's Lights, Nikon, Action!!!

22. david January 27, 2010 at 4:46 pm #

can we do the shoot but since i live in Houston there is no snow can i show them skiing snowboarding in urban setting

23. andresjb.com January 28, 2010 at 6:25 pm #

Too bad we don´t have ski resorts in Colombia, South Am!!! can it be another sport?? Mountain bike Downhill perhaps??

24. cheap r4 dsi January 30, 2010 at 3:58 am #

I just love skiing. Somebody pls invite me. So far havent try skiing. I am leaving in S.A.

25. syd February 10, 2010 at 4:04 pm #

Any update on the International eligibility front?

26. Leroy Ulbrich April 18, 2012 at 4:39 pm #

Excellent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely fantastic. I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it sensible. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is actually a tremendous web site.

27. Tyron Loeffelholz December 22, 2012 at 9:48 pm #

Always good to find something new and interesting to learn from. Great website you’ve got here.

28. Sheryll Jeffcoat June 10, 2014 at 10:08 am #

I wrote a brand new LiveJournal blog post about 20 a few minutes ago, and still have Facebook set up to import my websites. It’s currently imported all my previous ones; how much time does it take regarding Facebook to check for new web sites, and to help import those to my Zynga notes?.