Chase Jarvis RAW: Innerspace Photo Roundup

I really dig that we’re in a new era of photography where like minded shooters enjoy gathering to learn. I prefer to shoot photos rather than give classes or seminars, but I DO like to create these environments that allow photographers to experiment, socialize, and learn together.

That’s what this little evening was all about. Our hardworking crew rounded up an InnerSpace indoor skate part, handful of semi-pro skateboarders (mad respect!), a whole truckload of Broncolor lighting gear, and a keg of tasty Pyramid beer–and then we stayed up way too late shooting pictures and talking shop with photographers who had flown in on their own dime from NYC, LA, Toronto, and elsewhere. It was a real treat getting to meet a bunch of new people and rally around self-learning.

We’ll keep doing these sorts of things when I can muster a free day or two. These are usually short notice based on my schedule, so following me on Twitter and becoming a fan on Facebook are the best ways to find out the where, when, how. I’m on the road more than I’m home, so if you’d be interested in me pulling together resources for one of these little underground meetups in your home town, let me know. [click continue reading link below]

Get my every move: Follow Chase Jarvis on Twitter
Get exclusive content: Become a Fan on Facebook

47 Responses to Chase Jarvis RAW: Innerspace Photo Roundup

1. Matthew January 13, 2010 at 10:41 am #

great idea. thanks for sharing that with us, but, more importantly the photography community in Seattle. you could see how much fun people were having.

2. Nicholas Critelli January 13, 2010 at 10:43 am #

Fantastic stuff Chase, love when you put it out there for the community. Knowing how busy you must be, it sets a great example for the rest of us (who aren't producing for back to back, multi-million $ campaigns) to get out there and give back.

Keep up the love.

-Nicholas

3. Nicholas Collister January 13, 2010 at 10:43 am #

Looks like a great event you put on Chase. I'm hoping to put together some events similar to this in Toronto this summer. Really dig the idea of the dinner meet ups you have put together. Keep these post coming I love reading them.

4. Marcin S. January 13, 2010 at 10:43 am #

This stuff is awesome. Thanks so much for doing things like this. How long ago was this? Just joined the twitter-mania within the last month, dang it. Hoping I don't miss the next one. –M

5. Corey Grusden January 13, 2010 at 10:46 am #

I'm pissed I don't live closer to things like this when they happen! ha!

Awesome job putting that together!

6. Kiriako Iatridis January 13, 2010 at 10:47 am #

Man, I remember the day you sent that out, I didn't send an email cause I couldn't get the time off work and I didn't want to loose my job. I ended up quitting and started my own Photo business. I regret not sending that email now! …maybe next time

7. Botunda January 13, 2010 at 10:47 am #

Hey anyone know what that light was being used at 1:45? It is handheld and full of friggin awesom!

8. lizsong January 13, 2010 at 10:58 am #

amazing…90 seconds?!

9. caleb January 13, 2010 at 10:59 am #

That is awesome. I wish I could have come down for this, if only the gear was up to par.

10. Will January 13, 2010 at 11:03 am #

CHASE! AWESOME! Thank you for posting this! I hope I can check out the next cool event you set up soon.

@Botunda I think it was a normal speedlight (idk brand) with a tiny soft box attached…

11. Philip Thomas January 13, 2010 at 11:13 am #

I'm definitely going to keep my eye on your twitter stuff more closely. I would've been "pee in my pants" excited about getting to do something like this.

12. Andy Aupperlee January 13, 2010 at 11:17 am #

@Botunda that's actually me holding the light at 1:45… thanks for noticing! It's nothing too complicated—just a Nikon SB-800 with a LumiQuest softbox and using CLS to trigger.

13. Jim Powell January 13, 2010 at 11:20 am #

bummed i missed this. It looks like it was a great time!

14. Nightwhisper January 13, 2010 at 11:45 am #

Well done!!

Aren't you making a trip to Italy soon? :D

15. Photobby January 13, 2010 at 11:45 am #

Bunch of kids having fun! Perchance next time my e-mail trigger finger will be a bit faster…

16. Stan January 13, 2010 at 12:59 pm #

next time the Netherlands!!

17. Nathaniel 'Flannol' rosa January 13, 2010 at 12:59 pm #

JEALOUS :)

Looks amazing, so inspiring that you actually do this Chase!

18. Matt Beaty January 13, 2010 at 1:05 pm #

Nobody beats Chase and his crew – Top notch events, just because he can!
    Keep doing what you do Chase!

19. Scott MacKenzie January 13, 2010 at 1:29 pm #

Extremely cool, yet again.
    Is the mic on the camera used to make the video a Rhode (Rode?) Stereo? Just curious.
    Thanks for posting!

20. Jean Gonzales January 13, 2010 at 1:34 pm #

Once again an awsome video! To bad i live on the other side of the world.

One question tough; does anybody know what cart Chase uses to put hes computer on? I've seen him (and other pro's)using them. I would like to buy one myself :)

21. Clark Griffiths January 13, 2010 at 1:41 pm #

Chase your the man! I love this concept! sort of the anti-workshop.

22. Christopher-Beckman January 13, 2010 at 1:52 pm #

I think its really cool of you to spend your own time and money to put something like this togeather to help out other photographers. The rest of the world could take a lesson from this.

23. Simon January 13, 2010 at 2:02 pm #

By the way, why don't all of you (Hobby, McNally, Kelby, Jarvis, etc.) do some workshops in Canada ? I live in Montreal and would sell my girlfriend to attend one of these workshops !

24. Jed January 13, 2010 at 3:43 pm #

Fantstic. I agree with @Mead Norton. If you do something like this the next time you have some free time in New Zealand, I'm there.

25. David January 13, 2010 at 7:44 pm #

That is the coolness. You gotta bring yourself to Brisbane!

26. TeeWebb January 13, 2010 at 8:19 pm #

@Nicholas Collister let me know how that planning is going, I would be there in a heartbeat. Would love to help set that up.

@Chase, great work, these kinds of things embody all the hope I have for the coming decades of social-cultural growth

27. thinking January 13, 2010 at 8:39 pm #

Chase, please come to Orlando FL and do one of these…there are a lot of cool places…

Thanks as always for being so accessible and wanting to give back!

28. cornicello January 13, 2010 at 10:26 pm #

Thanks, again for the event, Chase. And happy new year! Here's a link to one of my favorite images from the night (I recently dropped off a print at the skateboard park):

29. Theis January 14, 2010 at 1:52 am #

Damit there is a long way to the states to be part of something like this. Wish I could be a part of it.

But I wish even more that I had the possibility to create something like this for people.

Big thumbs up for taking time to do stuff like this for people, just wish I could do my part you know :)

30. Sam Fifer January 14, 2010 at 4:38 am #

Our state has been struggling with how to use social networking (sn) (and still hasn't got it right). This is a shining example of how to use sn. AWESOME!

31. Rick Lohre | Photography January 14, 2010 at 5:11 am #

Yo Chase, let me know if you make it through Cincy anytime and maybe we can collaborate on one. I've got a large studio just a short walk from the riverfront so maybe we could make it happen there or someplace near.

Anyhow, shout if its something you'd like to do.

Cheers,
    Rick
    ricklohre.com

32. Jason January 14, 2010 at 5:47 am #

come to the UK… well if you do let us know..

33. Alexandra January 14, 2010 at 7:24 am #

Awesome.

34. Chase Jarvis January 14, 2010 at 8:00 am #

@ scott – yes the mic is a rode stereo

35. fotogenique January 14, 2010 at 9:03 am #

What a fantastic opportunity for the local 'ish photography community. Wish there was stuff like this going on locally to me. I could do with a pre-tweet (if they exist) lol

36. jeroennieuwhuis January 14, 2010 at 9:07 am #

Chase, when do you come and shoot in Holland?
    When you do, I will be there!
    You're a great and inspiring photographer, learnt allot from you.

Keep up!!

37. Wendy January 14, 2010 at 12:24 pm #

How about a trip to New Zealand? We would welcome you!

38. Grifter January 14, 2010 at 12:34 pm #

I had a great time at the Innerspace event. Loved being able to talk and learn from other photographers. Learned quite a bit, especially for a film guy like me who doesn't handle digital cameras that often.

39. Nicole January 14, 2010 at 5:48 pm #

Wow that looks like a great time! What a cool idea. You really are providing amazing opportunity for others. So nice to see.

40. Maxim January 16, 2010 at 6:38 am #

wonderfull great!!!
    i want to see him in moscow city!!

41. Gordon The Photographer January 17, 2010 at 1:12 am #

You are a pretty cool dude, dude…On behalf of all the folk who didn't go and couldnt go I'd like to say thanks for doing it for everyone else anyway!

Gordon fae Glasgow…

42. ty January 17, 2010 at 2:25 pm #

chase, it would be super cool if we could put a photo roundup together in milwaukee or chicago. i live in milwaukee, but am down in chicago all the time and i would love to learn from you. i am always looking for tips on getting perfect exposure.

ty

43. Darien Chin January 17, 2010 at 4:31 pm #

Dayumn! I don't know how I missed this. Looks like it was a helluva good time, and even though I didn't attend I still thank you for putting on things like this. Damn sweet get together for sure. Enjoyed the video.

44. professional photo editing January 21, 2010 at 5:38 am #

A great way to learn photography free from the confines of a class! I would certainly love to attend one of these meets!

45. Chase Jarvis January 24, 2010 at 10:12 am #

@tyron: I may do a couple of these outside seattle in 2010.

46. Alexis January 26, 2010 at 6:20 pm #

Wow! What a wonderful event for you to put on. I'm inspired.

47. Marcel Levy June 29, 2012 at 11:27 am #

Most lenders can look for clients having a great credit rating. Cash advance loan companies will not utilize your own credit rating because just cause in order to refuse authorization. The actual criteria regarding approval status is much diverse from the financial institution or even credit score union.