Michal Garcia Wins Trip to Our Studio from Hong Kong

If you were tuned in here during the 8 weeks before the New Year, then you knew that I was giving away roundtrip airfare and accommodations to come visit us here at the Seattle studio from anywhere in the world. Here’s the original post. All you needed to do? Post pictures of you with my latest book The Best Camera Is The One That’s With You to my Facebook Fan page and/or my TBCITOTWY Amazon Page.

The winner? Michal Garcia. And he’s really hurting my pocketbook, because we’re bringing him all the way from Hong Kong. But it’ll be worth it. Please give a shout out below.

Hundreds of entries came in from all over the world. I was blown away, humbled, excited, sometimes even a little freaked out. People effing basejumped while reading my book! People also jumped out of airplanes, played fetch with their dog, ATE it, fed it to insects, slept with it, played music with it, read it while buildings exploded in the background, and traveled to the farthest corners of the earth. People took it rock-climbing, camping, road-tripping, and more. They even made mock Geico ads with it. You really should take a moment to poke around some of the thumbnails of the gallery of images that came in via Facebook. And a couple hundred more here at Amazon.

It was fun, funny, and inspiring. In the end, while lots of people entered lot of images (there were some insanely creative ones that came in) and actively participated in the conversation, it was Michal Garcia–with photos of TBCITOTWY and sleeping security guards, kids playing in the street, rooftop antics and highrises in Hong Kong that took the cake. What helped him win? He entered a ton of images, he traveled with the book, he was active in the conversation and really got into it. In short, he participated deeply and had fun with it. We’ll be sure to fill everyone in when he comes to Seattle…

If you haven’t bought a copy of the book yet, I’d be honored if you’d drop your $13 on The Best Camera Is the One That’s With You here at Amazon.. Beyond that, thanks so much to all of you who participated, and check out a few more of Michael’s entered images after the jump…

Get my every move: Follow Chase Jarvis on Twitter
Get exclusive content: Become a Fan on Facebook

23 Responses to Michal Garcia Wins Trip to Our Studio from Hong Kong

1. the life of chris February 3, 2010 at 5:48 am #

Congratulations!!!!
    what must I do to get such an awesome Price

2. SirRodSpode February 3, 2010 at 6:49 am #

Well done Michael, I'm sure you'll have a great time with Chase and co.
    If you've never been to Seattle, let me just say you're in for a treat – it's one of the best cities in the world IMHO. It would be awesome if you could blog about your trip or maybe even stick a video on YouTube so we can all live vicariously!

3. Jai Jacob February 3, 2010 at 7:12 am #

I can imagine his reaction when he heard he won. Like a little kid going to Disneyworld. lol. Can't wait to see the pictures of his visit and the next contest.:)

4. Scott MacKenzie February 3, 2010 at 7:25 am #

Congratulations! I know it will be great. Well Deserved!

5. Vineet Modi February 3, 2010 at 11:07 am #

Somehow missed this contest post and feeling guilty I did not participate! :( But congrats to Michael.. You are one lucky bas***d, have fun with chase!

6. Timothy Lusk February 3, 2010 at 11:21 am #

Congrats to Michael. What a great gift to spend some time with Chase and co. Hopefully the weather here improves by the time he arrives.

7. mugget February 3, 2010 at 1:03 pm #

nice one, congrats Michael!

i liked that Hong Kong rooftop image as well. good stuff!

8. michaellacombe February 3, 2010 at 1:25 pm #

Ahh shucks. I wish I had known of this contestant. It would have been considerably cheaper to get me out there. Then again, it would have been cheaper to get anyone in this country out there. lol

9. michaellacombe February 3, 2010 at 1:26 pm #

*contest*

I fail. lol

10. Chase Jarvis February 4, 2010 at 12:16 am #

just had the idea of sending michael a video camera and having him document his adventure btwn hong kong and seattle. we'll see if he's up for it!

11. Queenie February 4, 2010 at 7:33 pm #

It's Michal~~ not Michael~~ it's my turtle!!! Congrats Dear Michal!!! u r awesome~~~~love ya!!! >3

12. michalgarcia.com February 4, 2010 at 8:25 pm #

Hey Chase, I would be up for the video camera idea and much more! @JaiJacob I did sound like a kid when I found out I won – like a kid at HK Disneyland in front of the Buzz Lightyear statue. @ScottMackenzie Thanks for the note on facebook. Big, big thanks to everybody and please send me a note about how to follow up on this.

:-)

Michal (without an "e")
    michalgarcia.com

13. Rebeka February 5, 2010 at 6:28 am #

Great Job Michal! Your photos are fantastic and soooo creative!

14. Joan February 5, 2010 at 10:48 am #

We recognized your creativity in photography and your talent and musical ability and expected it would take you a long way. This is great! We are very proud of you. Next time you call to announce some exciting news, don't say, "guess what I did". It is too suspenseful. All kinds of ideas went through our heads. We are delighted for you for this accomplishment. See if you can have a stopover in San Antonio. Love you lots. Mom & Dad

15. Martha February 5, 2010 at 11:18 am #

Congratulations, Michal. Keep up the good work.

16. Corey Grusden February 7, 2010 at 1:47 pm #

Ahhh! Congratulations dude!!!

17. Anonymous February 7, 2010 at 8:26 pm #

congrats michael!

18. Ellis February 7, 2010 at 11:50 pm #

That is one simple and cool photo. Well deserved. Congratulations Michal!

19. virtual worlds for kids February 8, 2010 at 1:16 am #

Congrats! Fantastic pics. You deserved to win!

20. hooky February 8, 2010 at 8:05 am #

Congrats from hooky & rome. Great photos, mucho talento. Felicitaciones to your parents also.

21. Britt Chudleigh February 8, 2010 at 1:03 pm #

very cool. live it up! :)

22. mjk_photo February 8, 2010 at 1:28 pm #

Very cool, Congrats Michal!

1. Interviews & Conversations: Michal Garcia – Photographer, Musician | Sachin | Khona - September 21, 2010

[...] (I live in Asia) because I won a contest they hosted for an innovative book Chase published titled “The best camera is the one that’s with you.” Big shoutout and thanks to Chase and his amazing team Kate, Scott, Dartanyon, Erik, Mikal, Jerard [...]