Michal Garcia Wins Trip to Our Studio from Hong Kong

If you were tuned in here during the 8 weeks before the New Year, then you knew that I was giving away roundtrip airfare and accommodations to come visit us here at the Seattle studio from anywhere in the world. Here’s the original post. All you needed to do? Post pictures of you with my latest book The Best Camera Is The One That’s With You to my Facebook Fan page and/or my TBCITOTWY Amazon Page.

The winner? Michal Garcia. And he’s really hurting my pocketbook, because we’re bringing him all the way from Hong Kong. But it’ll be worth it. Please give a shout out below.

Hundreds of entries came in from all over the world. I was blown away, humbled, excited, sometimes even a little freaked out. People effing basejumped while reading my book! People also jumped out of airplanes, played fetch with their dog, ATE it, fed it to insects, slept with it, played music with it, read it while buildings exploded in the background, and traveled to the farthest corners of the earth. People took it rock-climbing, camping, road-tripping, and more. They even made mock Geico ads with it. You really should take a moment to poke around some of the thumbnails of the gallery of images that came in via Facebook. And a couple hundred more here at Amazon.

It was fun, funny, and inspiring. In the end, while lots of people entered lot of images (there were some insanely creative ones that came in) and actively participated in the conversation, it was Michal Garcia–with photos of TBCITOTWY and sleeping security guards, kids playing in the street, rooftop antics and highrises in Hong Kong that took the cake. What helped him win? He entered a ton of images, he traveled with the book, he was active in the conversation and really got into it. In short, he participated deeply and had fun with it. We’ll be sure to fill everyone in when he comes to Seattle…

If you haven’t bought a copy of the book yet, I’d be honored if you’d drop your $13 on The Best Camera Is the One That’s With You here at Amazon.. Beyond that, thanks so much to all of you who participated, and check out a few more of Michael’s entered images after the jump…

Get my every move: Follow Chase Jarvis on Twitter
Get exclusive content: Become a Fan on Facebook

mjk_photo says:

Very cool, Congrats Michal!

very cool. live it up! :)

hooky says:

Congrats from hooky & rome. Great photos, mucho talento. Felicitaciones to your parents also.

Congrats! Fantastic pics. You deserved to win!

Ellis says:

That is one simple and cool photo. Well deserved. Congratulations Michal!

Anonymous says:

congrats michael!

Ahhh! Congratulations dude!!!

Martha says:

Congratulations, Michal. Keep up the good work.

Joan says:

We recognized your creativity in photography and your talent and musical ability and expected it would take you a long way. This is great! We are very proud of you. Next time you call to announce some exciting news, don't say, "guess what I did". It is too suspenseful. All kinds of ideas went through our heads. We are delighted for you for this accomplishment. See if you can have a stopover in San Antonio. Love you lots. Mom & Dad

Rebeka says:

Great Job Michal! Your photos are fantastic and soooo creative!

Hey Chase, I would be up for the video camera idea and much more! @JaiJacob I did sound like a kid when I found out I won – like a kid at HK Disneyland in front of the Buzz Lightyear statue. @ScottMackenzie Thanks for the note on facebook. Big, big thanks to everybody and please send me a note about how to follow up on this.

:-)

Michal (without an "e")
michalgarcia.com

Queenie says:

It's Michal~~ not Michael~~ it's my turtle!!! Congrats Dear Michal!!! u r awesome~~~~love ya!!! >3

Chase Jarvis says:

just had the idea of sending michael a video camera and having him document his adventure btwn hong kong and seattle. we'll see if he's up for it!

*contest*

I fail. lol

Ahh shucks. I wish I had known of this contestant. It would have been considerably cheaper to get me out there. Then again, it would have been cheaper to get anyone in this country out there. lol

mugget says:

nice one, congrats Michael!

i liked that Hong Kong rooftop image as well. good stuff!

Timothy Lusk says:

Congrats to Michael. What a great gift to spend some time with Chase and co. Hopefully the weather here improves by the time he arrives.

Vineet Modi says:

Somehow missed this contest post and feeling guilty I did not participate! :( But congrats to Michael.. You are one lucky bas***d, have fun with chase!

Congratulations! I know it will be great. Well Deserved!

Jai Jacob says:

I can imagine his reaction when he heard he won. Like a little kid going to Disneyworld. lol. Can't wait to see the pictures of his visit and the next contest.:)

SirRodSpode says:

Well done Michael, I'm sure you'll have a great time with Chase and co.
If you've never been to Seattle, let me just say you're in for a treat – it's one of the best cities in the world IMHO. It would be awesome if you could blog about your trip or maybe even stick a video on YouTube so we can all live vicariously!

Congratulations!!!!