Mike Relm Slays It

Not sure what “it” refers to in the title of this post, but whatever “it” is, Mike Relm‘s blowing “it” up. I had the good fortune of getting to know Mike last week at Sundance. His live DJ performance mixing both audio and video, was one of my highlights from the festival.

Turns out Mike is also a solid director too–one you should know about–as evinced by the video above. I’d had a similar idea before, but Mike executed it far better than what was going on in my beany little brain. Make sure to watch the whole vid to “get” it. Enjoy this viewing pleasure on a happy Monday.

After the jump, another piece Mike just directed–starring himself–to help launch the Google Nexus One phone…

Keep up the great stuff Mike.

Get my every move: Follow Chase Jarvis on Twitter

Get exclusive content: Become a Fan on Facebook

24 Responses to Mike Relm Slays It

1. Will February 1, 2010 at 9:00 am #

WOW! He is the "it" director! All joking aside those videos are way to below 0º, while being really complex. Thank you very much for posting this Chase!

2. Alexandra February 1, 2010 at 9:04 am #

Absolutely loved watching this!

3. jabberpics February 1, 2010 at 9:05 am #

dope. oh so dope.

~jabber

4. Scott MacKenzie February 1, 2010 at 9:26 am #

Loved Everytime. Going to forward it.
    Classy to give a friend a prop like this–touting another phone.
    Good on ya!

5. randy February 1, 2010 at 9:35 am #

that was seriously cool. great music too. extremely well executed all around. chase, thanks for sharing this!

6. Bryan February 1, 2010 at 9:35 am #

haha… that was awesome. Sinister, but awesome.

7. Masterkft February 1, 2010 at 10:42 am #

Here's another cool Mike Realm video, an hommage to actress Kristina Klebe:

8. Mason Herring February 1, 2010 at 11:25 am #

I saw Mike live a few years ago. This guy has crazy skills. His show was one of the most original things I've seen at any concert. Very entertaining!

9. Christopher-Beckman February 1, 2010 at 1:07 pm #

loved the vid i know I wouldn't cheat on her

10. mugget February 1, 2010 at 1:40 pm #

awesome stuff!

i was wondering where that first vid was going, seemingly more than half over with still more than half the run-time left. very interesting.

11. jkeiffer February 1, 2010 at 6:31 pm #

I saw him open for the Wiggles in San Jose CA.

12. ed Hidden February 1, 2010 at 7:48 pm #

Awesome video. My first thought when she got out of bed was, she is gorgeous. Then it clicked… she was the model in one of my favorite Flickr photos.

Gotta love a beautiful model that puts a Star Wars tattoo on her hip!

Also, I saw Mike Relm open for Blue Man Group on tour. Your right, he is really talented and seeing him live is a major treat!

13. Chris February 1, 2010 at 10:47 pm #

Well done!

14. M.Kruter February 2, 2010 at 9:51 am #

I'm sorry, am I missing something? Both these videos are indeed cool but they are not terribly complex and don't really warrant too much enthusiasm. Compare the first video to Michel Gonfry's "Sugar Water" for Cibo Matto. Gondry's video oozes with complexity. Relm's concept and plot are fairly strait forward and could easily have been executed on the first take. I can barely dream of the planning that goes into each of Gondry's shorts. Throwing a beautiful woman in does not make you a genius.

The second video is certainly cool but doesn't do anything unexpected. The guy the background could easily be the body in the phone. Why is it a big deal if they dance in sync. Sure it looks cool (I really do like the video and think it's perfect for the music) but if the head did things contrary to the body, or if the head was in sync with the female -that would have been interesting. The only part I enjoyed from a creative aspect was the humor of the body not having a head itself (when the phone panned down).

Good stuff, but no masterpiece.

15. Rothstafari February 2, 2010 at 11:35 am #

Super cool! Thanks for sharing it!

16. brandt abner February 2, 2010 at 5:09 pm #

Well done!
    I wonder what editing program he uses?
    I can't believe someone mentioned
    Cibo Matto [a band I played keyboards in], though I'm not in the Michel Gondry video.

17. Anonymous February 3, 2010 at 2:30 pm #

WOW loved how it twisted. THank you for posting. Amazing work.

18. Adam February 3, 2010 at 10:46 pm #

Everytime rules.
    I'll say it too.
    Mike Relm Slays It!
    Cool.

19. virtual worlds for kids February 4, 2010 at 1:43 am #

Awesome vid! Keep me in suspense and wanting to know more and rewards with some form of a plot in the end. Great music too! I love it

20. Net February 5, 2010 at 11:13 am #

That was totally awesome. Well done!

21. Anonymous February 8, 2010 at 3:13 pm #

Damn, can believe people this this is rad, it´s been done to death!

/ O

22. Tim Skipper October 5, 2010 at 5:03 am #

Figures if she’s hot she would turn into psycho bitch

23. Donna Laba March 21, 2012 at 4:10 am #

Missed a few days over the Mother’s Day weekend. Now its Tuesday and I think I only see 2 eaglets. Am I right? What happened?

24. recommended site June 29, 2012 at 11:33 am #

Many lenders will look for consumers having a great credit history. Pay day loan loan providers will not use your own credit history as merely trigger to not allow authorization. The criteria for acceptance standing is significantly diverse from a financial institution or perhaps credit score partnership.