R.I.P. CR Johnson

Just got off the phone with some good friends at Freeskier and Snowboard Magazines and learned some painful news. The news of the sudden death of a friend and one of the great skiers of our generation, CR Johnson. I feel compelled to share this here, in large part because we connected through photography.

According to eyewitnesses, CR got caught up on rocks going off a cliff on Light Towers at his local Squaw Valley, went over the handlebars and hit his head and neck on rocks on the landing. According to Squaw Valley spokeswoman Amelia Richmond, witnesses immediately notified ski patrol and medical personnel arrived on the scene within minutes. Despite efforts to revive Johnson, who was wearing a helmet at the time of the incident, he succumbed to his injuries.

CR, you will be missed.

I had the good fortune of getting to know CR by way of photographing him extensively through his meteoric rise to skiing fame in the early part of last decade. We spent a good bit of time together on movie segments in Alaska as well time at his first X-Games appearance many years ago. (I grabbed the above shot of him at X-Games practice in 2003. Check the amplitude and style, even 7 years ago…).

I can say with conviction, he was a person of enormous character and will be dearly missed. Words from his one of his recent social media posts say it best: “Live your life, love your life. Don’t regret… Live, learn, and move forward positively.” -CR

I’m thankful that photography connected us.

Great messages at Freeskier.com as well as news story at ESPN.com if you’re interested in reading more. Respect.

Get my every move: Follow Chase Jarvis on Twitter
Get exclusive content: Become a Fan on Facebook

36 Responses to R.I.P. CR Johnson

1. Kirsten Shield February 24, 2010 at 11:10 pm #

Sorry to hear of your loss, skiing/snowboarding's loss and the world's loss. Love to his family, friends and other fans like myself who will miss him from this day forward.

2. javajive February 24, 2010 at 11:12 pm #

I'm very sorry to read this, Chase. May your friend rest in peace.

3. CHADAMS February 24, 2010 at 11:14 pm #

It's sad to see such a terrible event occur especially in someone who has an amazing talent as his. As sad as it is, at least his family and friends can say he died doing what he loved.

4. Gerry Hanan February 24, 2010 at 11:17 pm #

Chase – I am sorry to read of your loss. I will pray for you and for your friends family.

5. Keith February 24, 2010 at 11:36 pm #

I'm sorry to have not known this man personally.
    He had the courage to truly live.
    A rare individual, indeed.

6. Matt February 24, 2010 at 11:43 pm #

I'll keep his friends, like yourself, and his family in prayer tonight. That's tough… I've only gotten into freestyle skiing recently, so I'm not too familiar with all he accomplished, but he sounded like a man worth knowing, on and off the slope. May he rest in peace.

7. Charlie February 24, 2010 at 11:51 pm #

that quote from him is awesome – the world needs more people with that attitude. Really sorry to hear you lost your friend, Chase and I'm also sad for the rest of us that someone with such an excellent positive outlook has died. The world needs more people like that, not less.

8. Timothy Lusk February 24, 2010 at 11:54 pm #

Sorry to hear this, Chase. May his contributions to skiing live on through the images you capture. RIP, CR.

9. Glyn Dewis February 25, 2010 at 12:14 am #

So sorry to hear the news Chase.

Thoughts are with his family & friends.

Glyn

10. Francesco B. February 25, 2010 at 12:43 am #

So sad

My thoughts go to his family and friends
    RIP, CR.

11. Andy February 25, 2010 at 12:49 am #

R.I.P. brother.

12. Scott Kennedy February 25, 2010 at 2:24 am #

I remember meeting CR when I was an Intern at Powder in 2001 – we were at the opening of one of the TGR ski flicks and he was there. Well actually he was outside – he wasn't old enough to get into the bar that was showing the flick. he waited outside all night to hear what we thought of the movie. He was so stoked and thrilled to be on the cusp of 'making it'. well he well and truly made it. He fought back from serious adversity and showed an amazing amount of courage and strength. nice guy, amazing skier and a bright light that will be missed.

Scott Kennedy
    writer – photographer – filmmaker
    Queenstown, New Zealand

13. Chris Stampar February 25, 2010 at 5:11 am #

So sorry to hear this news Chase. It's a wonderful story how the two of you connected, and although CR may not be here In person, he and his legend can live vicariously through your wonderful images. I too lost a close friend recently and it's a rough time but I hope that you're ok. My thoughts are with CR and his family, he sounds like an incredible individual and I have a lot of respect for someone who could live so freely doing what they love despite the risk. RIP CR.

14. PJ February 25, 2010 at 5:27 am #

I followed CR for year in his ski videos. He was super talented. May he rest in peace.

15. Benny February 25, 2010 at 5:44 am #

Message from CR left on his MySpace on 2/23:

LIVE YOUR LIFE, LOVE YOUR LIFE. DON'T REGRET… LIVE, LEARN, AND MOVE FORWARD POSITIVELY. -CR

God grant him passage into a great reward. Much respect.

Ben

16. rob February 25, 2010 at 6:52 am #

I'll say prayer for his family and friends… My God bless them

17. Mikey February 25, 2010 at 6:59 am #

That is such sad new!! My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends!

18. yo_sarrian February 25, 2010 at 8:10 am #

So sorry to hear about your friend's death. Much love to you, his family and the rest of his friends!

19. Mike Wilson February 25, 2010 at 8:11 am #

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. My thoughts go out to you, his family, and his friends. It's always a tragedy when someone so young passes.

20. Guillaume February 25, 2010 at 8:39 am #

I join you in this sadness as I lost a friend last saturday in an avalanche in Mont Blanc du Tacul (couloir Jager). The mountain is stronger. Sorry to read of your loss Chase.

21. Anonymous February 25, 2010 at 10:10 am #

R.I.P.

More info here: http://antifluzone.com/

22. Peter February 25, 2010 at 11:44 am #

This is very tragic!

23. Anonymous February 25, 2010 at 12:34 pm #

I never met CR personally, but was a fan. Great post, Chase.

-Scott MacIntire
    The Art Institute of Seattle
    Photography / Digital Film & Video
    206-239-2337 | smacintire@aii.edu

24. The Stevens February 25, 2010 at 3:31 pm #

I read about this earlier today. I am terribly sorry about your loss. I pray that his family and friends will find peace.

25. Darien Chin February 25, 2010 at 5:54 pm #

The good die young. RIP CR

26. CallumW February 25, 2010 at 7:17 pm #

Sorry to hear about your loss :(

27. Jonny February 26, 2010 at 8:34 am #

Another legend passes… Shane McConkey last March, now CR. It's been a rough year for our sport. RIP CR, you'll be missed.

28. Joel February 27, 2010 at 10:28 am #

Whereas, I'm sad for his friends and family, I'm also very glad he lived. And he definitely LIVED.

29. kids games March 1, 2010 at 1:39 am #

What a terrible accident. My sincere condolences.

30. Chase Jarvis March 5, 2010 at 2:43 pm #

Thanks for all the kind wishes – means a lot to me and my friends in the ski/snowboard industries, and most importantly, to CR and his family.

31. اعلانات مبوبه July 3, 2010 at 12:53 pm #

LIVE YOUR LIFE, LOVE YOUR LIFE. DON’T REGRET… LIVE, LEARN, AND MOVE FORWARD POSITIVELY. -CR

32. Virtual Worlds For Kids July 19, 2010 at 7:21 pm #

CR was the man. He is already missed.

33. Club Penguin Gang August 25, 2010 at 3:34 pm #

Oh how awful!

34. Hugh Victoria January 17, 2013 at 6:02 am #

There’s noticeably a bundle to hear in relation to this. I take upon yourself you ended positive clear points in options also.

35. website January 29, 2014 at 1:59 pm #

What’s up Dear, are you in fact visiting this website regularly, if so then you
    will without doubt get nice knowledge.

1. Positive Energie. | visuelleGedanken.de - July 6, 2010

[...] ehemaligen Free Skiier C.R. Johnson, der tragischerweise dieses Jahr schon im Alter von 26 Jahren gestorben ist. Aber er hinterlässt ein sehr positives Zitat, das jedem ein Vorbild sein [...]