Who Says You’re A Great Lover?

In any business, some people are better at getting their name out there than others. Artists are no exception.

Advertising, Marketing, Public Relations, or Branding? Don’t know the difference? These cartoons should help.

Are you strong where you want to be? Are people talking about your work, your creativity, your vision? This is laced with some humor, but we artists have a good bit to be learned from this, actually. The rest of the options after the jump…where do you fit in? [click the ‘continue reading’ link below]

So which bucket are you in? If nobody is talking about you being a great lover, I suggest you think about ways to change that. Errr…you know what I mean.

Happy Friday, everyone. Thanks to the zig blog for the cartoon.

Get my every move: Follow Chase Jarvis on Twitter
Get exclusive content: Become a Fan on Facebook

Nerissa says:

Good day, I found your site after i was exploring Bling for internet sites connected to this content. I wished to tell you, your internet site is nice. I just like the style far too, its good. I don’t have time now to totally browse your website but I have bookmarked it and that i also signed up for the RSS feed. I’ll be back inside of a day or two. Thanks for your good website.

Though this type of project used to be done primarily by specialists, many roofing companies are
now able to include solar panel installation into a residential roofing project plan. Having a roof
repair won’t cost big money, but it would better for those who have all your funds prepared should the repair
is bigger that that which you are expecting. Contractors can see the total cost for a building based on different types of building materials.

click here says:

My G, Domino Presley is no contest the hottest actress on the scene!

likes is extremely easy, really don’t avoid above steps and save your Facebook Webpage Likes. Also check out Here you can check how to divert your Facebook Webpage traffic to you Web-site Connect with TricksWindow on

fkawau says:

I have been browsing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours Who Says You’re A Great Lover? | Chase Jarvis Blog. It’s pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all site owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before.

gamefly says:

I simply had to thank you very much again. I am not sure what I could possibly have sorted out without those tips and hints discussed by you directly on this field. It truly was a very daunting setting in my view, nevertheless being able to see a professional tactic you resolved that took me to weep for happiness. Now i am happier for your information and even hope you are aware of an amazing job you were providing training some other people by way of your websites. I am certain you’ve never met any of us.

I’m commenting to let you understand what a fabulous experience our child experienced reading your webblog. She came to understand too many pieces, which included how it is like to possess an amazing giving nature to get other people easily completely grasp a number of hard to do matters. You undoubtedly exceeded our expectations. Thank you for rendering such invaluable, healthy, informative and in addition easy tips about the topic to Lizeth.

Frankie says:

Severely satisfied i discovered this wonderful web site, are going to be guaranteed to e-book mark it so i can look at out frequently.

THASHIN says:

“I AM A GREAT LOVER BUT I CANT BE GREAT HUSBAND”
COULD U PLS POST WATZ THE REASON??

sundeee says:

I stumbled upon this man. I have never heard of him before.
Apparently cheesy and obviously common sense.
I mean, his book is free.

But you are correct. Artists sometimes fall into the "letting my art speak for itself" mindset. But you have to offer something unique on top of your already unique artwork as well.

Especially for commercial photographers you have to show something that they can not find anywhere else. Whether that be more affordable prices, the style in which you shoot, or your absolute passion for what it is you are shooting.

I have found that my best advertising tool has been to overly show how much I love photographing bands to my friends and then having them basically be my public relations to all their friends.

Networking. Networking. Networking.

Anonymous says:

At least in photography you can show someone your portfolio…

david says:

I know for a fact that my girlfriend tells her girlfriends what a great lover I am. I'm sure that's good PR and I could get a ton of work, but sadly I've agreed that my girlfriend is to be my only client.

kids games says:

LOL that was creative! I had a good laugh

I can prove I'm not a great lover but let me love u

So, the hidden message is talk about myself to any girls with curly hair, and I hire a girl with a ponytail. Good post though, thanks.

Jonny says:

@John B @Shelby White

I don't think someone can have great work while being a generalist. Great work (at least by my definition relating to photography) is only great because it stands out amongst a sea of mundane. Then again, it depends on what level we aspire to be at I suppose.

John B. says:

@Shelby White

I may be picking nits here, but I'd say that having consistent, identifiable work is more important than having "great" work. Obviously there should be a minimum level of quality, but I'd wager that being a great generalist is less lucrative than being a decent, recognizable specialist.

Jonny says:

For me, it has been 99% word of mouth, 1% cold calling or cold advertising. My philosophy (that has been proven to me over the last year) is if you do really good work long enough, and back it up with a solid online presence, people will find you.

I had a girl come up to me this year who said over 10 people had recommended me to shoot her wedding… now I don't really want to shoot weddings so much anymore, but it was nice to see my reputation preceded me, and it's always a good launch pad to do work for someone who isn't in your usual network of clients and friends.

shahzad says:

Very Interesting representation and difference.

Anonymous says:

What about a good 'ol show don't tell approach Chase?

nice but i don't think the distinction between advertising, marketing, public relations and branding is that simple, marketing and advertising done correctly incorporates elements of social proof such as testimonials, case studies, etc…

gee says:

hahaha i like the illustrations, it really encapsulates things well and it has great visual impact and it'll stay with me for a long time.
thanks for sharing.

Indian Girl says:

nice and effective

Luis Bonilla says:

Very cool way to make it clear in a visual way

sarah says:

Networking,and getting myself out there has been a journey in self discovery. I give myself pep talks "Your a great lover. They'll think your a great lover…" It helps, but what really has made the difference in my business is showing everyone 'I am a great lover!!'
I am Private Chef and I make my best food and hit the streets with it. Best advertising I know!!

Amy says:

Well put. I'm young so am in the "shameless self-promotion" stage (I'm a great lover x10!!). Although it's all kind of been put on hold while I travel through South America to build my body of work… (updates on my blog! http://amyrollo.com/brookland — see? shameless self-promo.)

Phong says:

hahaha. great examples. this post helped it very easy to understand. Thanks Chase

Francesco B. says:

Thanks for the post, Chase, very cool and to the point. Have a great weekend, ciao!

F.

mirsec says:

Good post….I guess it has to start with you believing you're a great lover—and even if your not….believing that if you stick with it and honestly give all you can… you will be.

wavetooly says:

I think this is from the book, "The Brand Gap" by Marty Neumeier. Good read. "Zag" by the same author is also excellent.

Shelby White says:

Ahhh very interesting indeed. Self promotion is tricky.

@Joshua & @Buddy
I think the simplest and most effective answer to making yourself known or successfully promoting yourself is to A.) have undeniably great work and + or B.) sell an aspect of yourself along with your work (ie. personality, ties into communities).

simple, concise, and accurate. thanks for sharing!

oi_creative says:

Cool 'toons… but the marketing one is a classic misconception… Marketing is about understanding your market… he should be asking her "Do you want a great lover?"

Otherwise it's still advertising – but less aggressive…

Anna says:

I am a great lover, really… ask my lover! Three more times! Great post! :)

Elliott says:

I've made a career out of telling people what great lovers other people are with little or no evidence to support that.

Al says:

This is great! Never been so eloquently put.

Buddy says:

I have a hard time managing that fine line between humbleness and self promotion. Any tips?

Mike says:

I'm a great lover. Trust me, I'm a great lover. Soon you will understand the magnitude of my loving.

Did I mention that I was a great lover? You really should hear this at least 3 times: I am great lover.

Johnyw says:

nice one, and interesting..
Exept, there is no "continue reading" link below!?

Joshua says:

AS it stands, I mostly rely on word of mouth and generally meeting clients through other clients. I have cards that I give out to almost anyone – and those have helped out more than anything else, I think.

I think a lot of people [obviously, myself included] are trusting too much for something to catch us rather than chasing it ourselves.

What do you do to get around each of these parts of making yourself known?