New iPhone Photos in My Portfolio: Be My Editor

I began posting portfolios of images shot with my iPhone more than two years ago now. And my love affair isn’t wearing off, it’s growing stronger. The best camera still is–and always will be–the one that’s with you.

I post iPhone snapshots everyday to my twitter, facebook, and www.thebestcamera.com, but I haven’t updated my iPhone portfolio page in quite some time.

Until yesterday.

I dug through a huge pile of images and completely refreshed the gallery with some new favorites. Scott and I are in a little disagreement as to which ones are hot and which ones are not. As such, I’d love some of your targeted feedback. Please visit my new iPhone portfolio page here and tell me in the comments below which image is your most favorite AND which is your least favorite image. We’ll did this crowd-sourced edit once before and it was really helpful. We’ll make some changes if a pattern emerges.

Since there’s work involved in your edit, I’ll give some shoutouts and send a signed book or three to some randomly selected people who are willing to lend a hand with editing thoughts. Thanks in advance for your time.

[Shameless plug: In case you're new here or just wondering, I created--and shared--most of these using the app I developed last fall called Best Camera, available on iTunes.]

149 Responses to New iPhone Photos in My Portfolio: Be My Editor

1. David duChemin March 30, 2010 at 6:31 am #

Fav single image is #17, fav pairing is #12. The pairings are what make this work for me, same with the book, man. Love them.

2. seanporter March 30, 2010 at 6:35 am #

I dont really like the side on view of that van has been done before lots… i much prefer the abstract ones that make you wonder how the hell did he do that… and make you think and try to guess how you did it. But i love your iphone gallery thanks for sharing.

3. Mike March 30, 2010 at 6:35 am #

I love number 22. Such abstract and it was taken with an iPhone. Very impressive.

Least favourite was number 27, didn't see too much impact compared to the other photos you had on your portfolio.

4. Andrew de Vera March 30, 2010 at 6:35 am #

I really enjoyed the spider web/broken glass and the airline flight attendant photos. Combining 2 similar pictures adds to the "personality" of the pictures as oppose to them being alone. Also the flight attendants just speaks what the airline business is all about: on the move always moving along. Great work! Cheers!

5. David Peacock March 30, 2010 at 6:36 am #

Chase,

As edits:

I nominate the #4 diptych and the #11 diptych as candidates for removal based on them not being particularly strong images to me.

#16 is absolutely *tremendous*, I love it. Taken from the first live photoshoot if I'm not mistaken? Bump this one up to the #1 slot.

Great stuff Chase.

David Peacok

6. Juan Pablo March 30, 2010 at 6:37 am #

Least favorite is #14. Favorite is harder, but I think I'll stick with #9.

7. Bi Hong March 30, 2010 at 6:46 am #

My fav is #5 spider wed aka broken glass.
    #15 din get my vote. the two van seem a little bit too normal. That my take :)

8. Mary March 30, 2010 at 6:47 am #

My least favourite is the left image from #27. Feels out of place in there.

I absolutely adore #16! Just a fantastic shot all around.

9. Casey March 30, 2010 at 6:47 am #

3, 5, and 6 right are not hot imo.

Absolutely love 16 and the last shot. I look at them and my mind starts to wonder what the story is behind them. Nice stuff man! And you can keep the book, I already own one ;) .

10. Michael March 30, 2010 at 6:48 am #

I think the strongest images in the series are by far the abstract and close up shots. I love the pairing of the images that create diptychs. I like the first van picture but not the second. Also I am not sure that I love the landscape of the mountains because the iphone doesn't seem to hold the quality and is blurry even where it suppose to be crisp. As a fine art picture it seems that the technology in that case limits the subject matter. But for your abstract images I think they are killer. LOVE following your blog!

11. ylDave March 30, 2010 at 6:49 am #

Hey Chase – you asked for comments on your gallery:
    1) Interesting composition
    2) Taxi – just a blur, not that interesting. Like the color of the jet engine.
    3) Raindrops? Not that interesting.
    4) Like those; probably the cinematic look
    5) Spiderweb – been done before. Like the colors on the right. Is that shattered glass?
    6) ?
    7) Like the colors. Interesting shot on the left; right is cluttered.
    8) Don't know what they are but I like them
    9-12) Yes – interesting compositions
    13) Interesting. Is that an after and before pic of Babe?
    14) meh
    15) Cowboy wisdom yes, graffiti no
    16) Yes. Yes. Oh yes
    17) Like the composition and the lighting but I'm wanting it to be sharper
    18) Yes. Is there some tilt shift going on?
    19) No
    20) Left – no; like the pattern/lines on the right
    21) No. Not much thought in comp
    22) Left – yes, interesting pattern; right no.
    23) Left, no; right interesting comp
    24) Left, interesting comp; right no
    25-27) Neither one
    28) Right yes
    29) meh
    30) Left no, right maybe
    31) Definitely yes
    32) Interesting composition

Now you do me:

Thanks!

Dave

12. Seb March 30, 2010 at 6:55 am #

Nominates for removal are
    #9. I'm put off by the tilt on right image.
    #13. Greasy and out of focus.
    #14 Nothing special there.

By-all-means-a-keeper are
    #5 for the powerful composition and dialogue between the images (soft versus hard matter).
    #10. There is a story being told. Cartoonesque.
    Agree with D Peacock, #16 should be bumped to number one spot.

Quite like #20 as well, esp. the smiley in the left frame.

13. Jacob Wessler March 30, 2010 at 7:00 am #

I really enjoyed the pairing of the photos. It was fun to try to find the common theme (splashes of light, lines, flying birds with footprints, etc). Those were very nice.

My favorite photo was #16. The ethereal light with the slightly crossed legs. The guitar case in an airport gave the sense of waiting for something big to happen. The whole photo was comforting with a sense of being on the verge of…well…something!

Least favorite was #13. I don't think an out-of-focus shot of bacon next to a painfully sharp pig head adds to the portfolio. The rest of the photos have a dreamy quality to them and this one really jarred me out of the whole experience.

Close behind #13 was #14. I didn't get it. It was two photos of vans side-by-side. Maybe the vans have personal meaning, but the photos just didn't grab me the way the other ones did.

Thanks for the chance to offer feedback to a great photographer who clearly doesn't need my humble opinion!!!

14. Greg Sanders March 30, 2010 at 7:00 am #

Hi Chase,

My least favourite would probably be pairing #6. They seem just a little anonymous next to the rest of them. While I remember most of them from your tweets when I see them again, those two left me having to really cast my mind back, which suggests they didn't have that great an impact on me the first time around either. They're not "wrong", but they also don't leave me thinking "oh man, I remember that awesome picture…"

My favourites would probably be #16 &17, because they're strong images that probably best capture the philosophy that it's "not about the gear you shoot with". You've captured great composition with those, and the equipment used is of insignificant value, which to me is the way photography should be appreciated.

The left hand image of spread #23 is another one I like- the strength of the yellow tape against the dark background makes the picture "pop". I'm always drawn to pictures that aren't of "something" but manage to combine colours or shapes or textures in a way that holds your attention way more than it normally would if you just walked past it in the street.

Just my 2¢. :)

15. v. March 30, 2010 at 7:02 am #

- Favorite single image: #16 (legs & luggage). I can come up with so many different stories looking at that one.

- Least favorite: #14 (vans). Cool, but not as great or with such interesting contrast as the others.

16. batgeek March 30, 2010 at 7:05 am #

#16 is one of the sexiest photos I have ever seen.

Chase, I'm wondering what is your batting avg. 333? 400? I mean, if you take 1K iPhone photos a day, would you say 4/10 are hits? 2/10???

Thanks for everything you share.

17. vlatkojk March 30, 2010 at 7:06 am #

May I be a male chauvinist pig and say. "the legs"? Just kidding. :) It's not even close. But the legs are very pretty. Khm, anyways…

The kite flying is the best. That holga look goes well where there's not much colour.

Very close are the mountains.

Pretty close is the "25" on the road. But just that one, not its pair. The handrail, the same situation.

The worst are the vans. It's simply… meh, why did he bother?

But I'd really like having the kite on my wall.

18. Adrian Young March 30, 2010 at 7:07 am #

Favorite: #16
    Love the framing and lighting, it is a gorgeous photo.

Least Favorite: #07 right
    Confusing, cluttered, doesn't grab me.

19. Kevin March 30, 2010 at 7:08 am #

Diptych #12 sticks out as a favorite for me. I like the anonymity of the flight attendants and the bright colors of their uniforms. Paired with the woman wearing the high heels, it gives traveling more of an allure, rather than showing the usual hectic and stressful feelings that travel can entail. Sort of like the same sense I got when watching the movie "Catch Me if you Can." Diptych #23 was a close second. The photos read well together: wintry road conditions, spin out, car crash, body shop.

Least favorite is probably #3. Don't really get the pairing (other than the rain being a common element), and if it was intended as a "texture" shot, I think your other abstracts are much stronger.

As an aside, I also really loved the first image and Diptych #25. What is the photo of on the right in #25?

20. Scott March 30, 2010 at 7:22 am #

the least hot are,

#3
    #24
    #2

I liked most of the other shots, with #31 and #17 being the better of the group.

21. Raymond March 30, 2010 at 7:34 am #

#16 for certain

I think the bacon-pig combo is great! Quite jovial, in a great satirical sort of way.

I think #28 doesn't quite portray the same thoughts, despite the effort. I'd rank that one as #32 of 32, if not remove it from the 'folio.

22. the Doug March 30, 2010 at 7:39 am #

My absolute favorite is the last one #32. Whimsical, fun, makes me wish I didn't have to work today.

Least favorite, the pairing on #8, I'm just not getting it. And while I get it, #13 makes me reconsider breakfast…

23. Jose Betancur March 30, 2010 at 7:40 am #

I don't Like the pair #13 the Left photo.

I love #17.

I do believe that the best camera is the one with you.. and love take photos with my iPhone..

24. SB March 30, 2010 at 7:47 am #

#16 – Love it…great light/composition, interesting story.

#23 (right) – OK, Cai Guo-Qiang's show at the Guggenheim was fantastic, your photo of it makes me sort of annoyed…over-processed, and it doesn't say anything about the work; it's aesthetically interesting but not because of your photo, but rather because the work you photographed is interesting.

25. Immaculate Images Photography March 30, 2010 at 7:56 am #

Fave photo is legs and luggage and fav pairing is spider web and broken glass, both such great photos in so many ways.
    Least favorite is the vans, justy boring to me nothing interesting at all, my grandma, my aunt, my dad, my dads dog all have pictures like those!

26. Jeff March 30, 2010 at 8:00 am #

The best of the lot is 16, though I also like 17 but wish it was a little sharper. Least favorite is 30, just a blur of lights that does nothing for me except give me flashbacks of a bad case of the spins.

27. Taylor Perkey March 30, 2010 at 8:00 am #

Here are my thoughts/opinions on all of the pics. Sorry they might be a little hard to read, but I hope you get the main ideas. Thank's for all you do man! You are truly an inspiration!

Taylor

1 is funny. I like it.
    2.1 is alright…2.2 is way cooler though! the colors are amazing and i love how only a slight part of the wing/engine is/are showing.
    3.1 and 3.2 these look like raindrops on a window. everyone has them. I'm sure you have way cooler and better work than these
    4.1 & 4.2 I have a soft spot for sun pics or whatever you'd call these. 4.2 is far better I believe though. there's more texture and more element in it vs. 4.1 where there's only clouds and light poles. it's cool don't get me wrong but you could do better with that one. its not breathtaking.
    5.1 & 5.2 I really really like these. 5.1 has that shallow depth of field look and 5.2 is just awesome. these are definitely keepers!
    6.1 & 6.2 I love these. they're very simple and very subtle, yet they are very artistic-esque-ish? I like them
    7.1 is freaking awesome! that is DEFIANTLY a keeper. 7.2 is cool too. lots of textures and has a grungy feel. wasn't that your dad?
    8.1 is alright. reminds me of legos. even though yellow is my favorite color, I don't see anything too amazing in this. 8.2 is pretty cool though. i like the redish/orangeish color. hood ornament right?
    9.1 i love the lines in this one. and the colors. and the reflection. KEEPER. 9.2 has cool colors and lines and what not, but everyone has this type of pic. it's not different. I'm sure you have a better one!
    10.1 i like this one! the detail in that one bird is amazing for flying and being taken with an iPhone…but I guess that just goes to show how amazing of a phone it is! 10.2 is cool. nothing pops out at me but its alright.
    11.1 and 11.2 are really cool! In 11.1 I love again how only part of the subject is showing. I'm sure there's a name for this but I love it. Also how the red really pops on a rather dull background color. If i remember this correctly, I think the besc.am link to this one had JEWS in it somewhere. haha! (yup. found it. http://bestc.am/JEwS ) 11.2 is really cool also! I love the lines from the pipes and the colors of the two…round things?
    12.1 is cool. lots of lines and the feet are pretty awesome. 12.2 though isn't doing it for me. yes, it's cool because they're all dressed the same and have the same bags, but its not popping out at me in any way. this one could use replacing.
    13.1 & 13.2 are in the book I believe. LOVE the captions you had. Keepers for awesome points!
    14.1 is alright but 14.2 is so much better!
    15.1 is good. funny saying. cool colors. 15.2 is really cool. the colors really pop in this one. i'd keep it
    16 Love this one. definitely deserved the single image across. her legs are breathtaking and yet again, you are only showing part of the subject. LOVE that. I also like how the left side of the picture is cluttered with cases and instruments etc, but the right side is super clean and all that you see is her legs. KEEPER KEEPER KEEPER
    17 is good. love all the bottles. you got a lot in this picture which is cool. not as awesome as a pic as 16, but it still acts well as a full page image. I'd keep it.
    18 is pretty decent. I wouldn't have used it as a full page image though. You've done ones way better than this one. I'm not too sure if I'd keep it.
    19.1 and 19.2 show many lines and are very stylistic. i really like these. definite keepers.

-continued in second post-

28. Taylor Perkey March 30, 2010 at 8:01 am #

-continued from previous post-

20.1 i love the grunge in this one. reminds me of a face. i like it! keeper! 20.2 is really cool also. love the lines created by the road and snow. keeper.
    21.1 I'm not even sure what this is. a guardrail and something yellow. caution tape maybe? I really like it because the yellow really pops! keep. 21.2 is really cool too. love the allusion given by the building and the repetitiveness of the windows and lines. keeper.
    22.1 is really cool also. very similar to 20.2 but is still really awesome! 22.2 even though this one is completely crazy, I really like it. The thing is though, many people have pictures like these. I'm sure you have something more creative and different.
    23.1 lines = amazing. 23.2 floating car + sparks flying = FREAKING AWESOME and definite keeper.
    24.1 is that all painted on he wall? I almost said I love the architecture in this one but as i looked more closely, thats insane! keep! 24.2 is full of lines which I love and the division of them by the pole is very appealing to me. I like it.
    25.1 love the repetitiveness of this one! 25.2 the colors are amazing. I'm not even sure what these are but I think its really really awesome. Keep.
    26.1 looks like a rocket ship. it's kinda dull though. just sayin. 26.2 hmm…where have I seen this one before…hmm….LOVE it. always have always will. KEEP IT!
    27.1 is so awesome! i love the softness of the colors and how they're interrupted by the white thing. what is that? 27.2 Is pretty cool. I like the colors but the image itself doesn't really pop out to me…
    28.1 is awesome. I love the contrast between the bird and the blinds. Awesome pose for the bird too! 28.2 is awesome too. the yellow and blue really stick out and pop very nicely. keeper!
    29.1 the colors are amazing! They really pop! Keep it! 29.2 the fish have a interesting color to them and I think I like it. I'd say keeper.
    30.1 & 30.2 I have no idea how to describe these and tell you how I like them, but I love them. Definitely keep them!
    31 awesome shot. simply put. keep. definitely worth the full page pic but still not as good as the model's legs.
    32 awesome picture! love silhouettes. keep it. BUT still doesn't beat the legs pic.

29. marcus grip March 30, 2010 at 8:02 am #

plane on nr 2, and bird guy on 11 was my favourites. they seem to have a story to tell and have interesting compositing and colors.

the one i did like the least(almost everyone was in one way or another interesting and good) was the meat on nr 13. the image feels flat and just like a photo to just help you remember what you had for dinner. hard to explain but like a boring documentary picture. it shows what you are cooking, no more. no interesting angle, no story, feeling, colors or so. i have taken those kind of pictures myself and i get the exact same feeling.

so i would try to maybe vignette and maybe unsharpen part of the picture to bring the interest of the eye to the food and another angle would have been cool, showing like in the background what´s more.. like maybe an unsharp bowl of soup or something that shows what you are cooking for, or to who, when, where and so on :)

Thanks for an super inspiring blog!

30. Henrik Joensson March 30, 2010 at 8:23 am #

My personal favorites is: Image #8 (it grabs me by the ankles and pulls me in), #13 (simply because it's raw), #1 (it's a pretty neat portrait). I don't really like image #14 (can't really say that i get it) and #20 (same thing as the other one). As for the other pictures i feel a bit confused, some i like more than others. BUT i do feel that all the images have something to say and what makes them good OR bad is in the eye of the beholder.

Best regards Henrik
    h.joensson@hotmail.com

31. Zak.Shelhamer March 30, 2010 at 8:31 am #

Holy flipping Cow! 16 is theee best, Such a sick photo, tells an amazing story 10 and 12 are legit and 32 has a really good feeling to it. I would say my least favorite is 15, just doesn't do much for me, the one on the right isn't to bad but the one of the left is just a picture of a funny picture, cool but i don't know if it deserves to be in your portfolio. Cheers! Keep up the inspiration!

32. Ken March 30, 2010 at 8:33 am #

My favorite is number 12.

My least favorite is number 4.

I think the photos chosen for each pair play really nice with one another. Very cool.

33. Karl Sonnenberg March 30, 2010 at 8:35 am #

These are the ones that stood out to me in one direction or the other:
    2, 4, 8, 11, 14, 15: too ordinary
    5: I like the pairing
    7: interesting
    9: shoes I dig, hallway not so much
    12: love the left shot, the right not so much
    16: awesome
    18: really like this one
    22: left, one of my ALL time favorites
    you've done
    28: great pairing
    31: powerful photo
    32: like this one a lot

You are the one that motivated me to go out and shoot with my iPhone 3GS. The Best Camera book has been on my coffee table for months!

34. Blake Ricks March 30, 2010 at 8:40 am #

First, I really like how you've paired complementary photos. That's powerful.

Favorite photo is the left side of #12/32. Airports and the people in them are so mundane yet so intriguing.

My least favorite photo is the pairing at 7/32.

35. Rob Chinn March 30, 2010 at 8:51 am #

Chase – some awesome pics, as usual. I really like the idea of pairing two images together and presenting as one, especially 5 (spider web and glass), 7 (arm & not user what), 12 (moving sidewalks), 13 (pan & pig – disturbing, but definitely attention getting), 19 (fence shadow and box edges), 22 (snowy roads & light trails)

I really like #9, the shoes with yellow laces on the yellow stripes, but not as crazy about the image on the left with it.

Really like the light (and the legs) in #16.

36. tim March 30, 2010 at 8:54 am #

Fav = high heels + flight attendants

Least fav = frying bacon + porky's head

37. Benedict March 30, 2010 at 8:59 am #

Favorite: #16, with the #4 diptych a close second for the lovely light and color, and the #12 diptych for the great motion.

Least favorite: #13. Many of the subjects here work well with the "lo-fi" look, but food is not one of them. I might like the pig with some different processing, but the bacon is just bleh. Second least favorite would be #14: vans with a vintage look seems like a picture anybody could take.

38. Dave Keating Photography March 30, 2010 at 9:05 am #

17 is my fav. I think this is from the band shoot you broadcast? If so I think I remember you taking this shot. But that has nothing to do with me liking it. I love the composition on this shot. You have the instruments that appear to be packed, a lovely lady that appears to be looking out the windows longingly, waiting. The light reveals the shape of her body just enough to let your imagination do the rest. It makes it sexy, slightly erotic and dirty all at the same time. This should be the album cover. Great image.

While you did not ask for a #2 fav, that would be #18 for me. Another great image of life. It would look like the calm before the storm. For me the motion in the image conveys anticipation and preperation for the coming crowd. I love it.

My least favorite, and really not an image I dislike, just the least favorite of the batch would be #3. Not any good reason, and not a bad image, just my least favorite.

39. Brian Solano March 30, 2010 at 9:08 am #

The side shots of the vans don't fit well, in my opinion. But #16 is amazing!

40. Anonymous March 30, 2010 at 9:13 am #

My fav is #18 i'm a sucker for bw landscapes.

#10 i'm not sure what it is, but i like it.

#29 i like the colors.

#32 there's something peaceful about it.

41. teko March 30, 2010 at 9:21 am #

Fav:
    - Page 17

Least favs:
    - Page 3 right image: too blurry and noisy. I'm guessing that the purpose of the blur is for showing movement, but the image looked poorly shot.
    - Page 6 right image: too ordinary, and there's no story to tell. Compared to the left image, the right one feels lacking.
    - Page 30 right image: too noisy

42. michalgarcia.com March 30, 2010 at 9:21 am #

Girl with a kite on a hill. B&W.; I dig it!

43. Skip Hopkins March 30, 2010 at 9:23 am #

Favorite: tie between -
    #16 Composition, lighting, LEGS!
    #30b Amazing, great color

Least Favorite: #15b

44. phussann March 30, 2010 at 9:24 am #

While there is quite A LOT to like here, only because you asked I'll give you the ones that didn't thrill me as much.

#4 right- meh.

#7 While I understand the relationship between the two images, the image on the right doesn't work for me so much. I am however totally intrigued by the tattoo on the left.

#14 the vans- not so much.

#27 Interestingly became a Rorschach inkblot test for me in trying to describe it. At first blush, it looked like Jesus to me. Then, it became a penis. I'm not sure what that says about me. ha!

The images that provided the most visceral reaction were:

#6- loved the line and space relationship.

#13- probably the biggest reaction. Love it. Dear Piggy, I have seen your future…

#16 LOVE the image but feels like a commercial shoot where after the fact you pulled out the iPhone?

P.S. I'd like to see Scott's choices

45. Howard Haby March 30, 2010 at 9:28 am #

I think the portfolio on a whole is pretty cool. My least favorite is #27, particularly the left side. Just doesn't do anything for me. My favorite is #17 however, and that is awesome! #16 is a very close second – sexy but with a lot going on in the photo… the bags and instruments, the light through her dress – good photo to look at and think about. #2 was also really cool, particularly the engine – great color and grainy looking. Nice. Hope I can get a book!! :)

46. JoeH March 30, 2010 at 9:32 am #

The pairings really pulls what could be a mundane photo (on its own) into a "whole" that is something much more interesting.

That said, the vans in #14 are my least favorite.

Also fun to note that it looks like most folks found it easier(?) to find their least favorite since they made that comment first?

Much harder to pic a favorite. Something I'd want in my living room, a PC wallpaper, somthing that moves me in some other way?

With a personal preference for landscapes, # 18 is really good. But #16 is probably my favorite. The model is obviously a big draw, but composition playing with the gear to the side makes me wonder about the rest of the story.

47. Peter March 30, 2010 at 9:47 am #

Favorite is 30 with 23 a close second and 5 in the third place, least favorite is probably 13, the photo of the steaks just isn't doing it for me.

48. Matt & Julie March 30, 2010 at 9:51 am #

Favorite is #16 – just an amazing shot that draws you in. There is so much there on multiple levels.

Least favorite is #25 – just doesn't seem like much to it. Especially after looking at some of the other image pairings, it is just uhh.

49. Matt & Julie March 30, 2010 at 9:51 am #

50. snoop March 30, 2010 at 9:53 am #

Favourite is 16, I love grainy beauty shots.

Least favourite is 18 – I hate the way it has been blurred.

51. Myshel March 30, 2010 at 9:54 am #

My faves are 4 and 6. The colors and sunbursts in 4 really grabbed me and the repeated pattern of 6 is soothing and lovely. I really enjoy your work, Chase – thanks for sharing.

52. snoop March 30, 2010 at 9:54 am #

The last shot is also awesome.

53. Thomasflight March 30, 2010 at 9:55 am #

I would have to go with #7 as my least favorite. They struck me as almost gross, and not really that interesting.

#17, on the other hand is phenomenal, I'm still amazed at the pictures that you get out of that little phone.

Just my thoughts…

54. Scott M March 30, 2010 at 10:11 am #

I've never been good at picking my most favorite of anything.
    These are the one's that made me stop and explore:
    2 (both)
    3 (first one)
    5 (both). I'm a texture freak and loved the textures
    10 (both)
    16 the obvious grab was the girl, but the more I looked the more I enjoyed the overall shot
    Least fav: 13. Just kind of gross with nothing that grabbed me visually to make up for it.

55. Aimee Greeblemonkey March 30, 2010 at 10:28 am #

ooohhh fun! I feel like Simon on American Idol.

Taxi / plane – both awesome
    Man in drizzle – no real focal point, looks like just a background texture
    Blurry Cone – OK, but I don't like the composition
    Cloud Sun(s) – Awesome, but #2 much better, has more range
    Webs – both awesome, esp # 2 (
    Street & Blue – #25 stronger, more range of color and better composition
    Arms – good together, #2 would be a bit of a mess separately, without context that it was an arm it would be hard to tell what it was
    Yellow & Red – yellow is meh, red is awesome
    Hall and Shoes – meh
    Birds & Sand – Man is awesome, perfect moment captures, sand, again is hard to tell what it is without context – and the compo/texture is just OK alone
    Truck & Pipes – Truck meh, Pipes are fantastic, great color and composition
    Airport – highheels awesome, flight attendants, wish one part of them was a little more sharp or oomphed
    Bacon & Pig – bacon, nooo. Pig, hilarious
    Vans – neither
    Signs – Cowboy no, orange yes
    Guitar Legs – lovely
    Bar – awesome
    mountain – boring
    cardboards(s) – awesome
    rust & curve – awesome
    yellow & building – awesome
    snow & lights BW – awesome awesome awesome
    tracks & car – awesome
    building & railing – building meh, railing good
    buildings – meh

And then I think I am back to older stuff and I really need to get to lunch and I have probably pissed you off enough already but it was done with much love and respect. xo ;)

56. JeMaGa March 30, 2010 at 10:55 am #

Hi Chase,
    My favorite photo : #16, the one i like the least is #26 left (even though i think you put it to contrast with the right photo).

57. Anonymous March 30, 2010 at 11:00 am #

+++17
    -26

58. chiave March 30, 2010 at 11:03 am #

i really like the picture number 19, i really like abstract picture with some geomtry inside… if you want take a look to franco fontana a master italian photographer and specially to the "asfalti" work. some simple picture but really really beautiful…like your iphone art his simple picture of asphalt teache to us that camera is not the image…thank's

59. Kris Arruda March 30, 2010 at 11:05 am #

Most Amazing, #16

Meh, #3 on the right

60. Jake Rohde March 30, 2010 at 11:30 am #

Fav – #17 at the bar

Least – #27 right side

61. Nicolas March 30, 2010 at 12:35 pm #

FAV: 2
    Least FAV: 11

62. Baz March 30, 2010 at 12:35 pm #

most favorite: #16
    least favorite: #13

63. Honey March 30, 2010 at 12:41 pm #

Hard to pick a few, but here it goes… My top favorites: 16, 22, 23 & 24…Least favorites: 14 & 18. On a separate note 13, 15 & 28…I just think they're fun.

Great work Chase, thanks for sharing!

64. Loon March 30, 2010 at 12:50 pm #

Really really like how you've placed the images together. Last picture, although singular, is very powerful! The one on the blurry cab didn't really sing to me.

65. Ivo March 30, 2010 at 12:52 pm #

Well, my favorite is #06, I like the graphical quality and nice abstract view.

The hardest part is to choose the worst.. I think I dislike the #14, since it's such an outlier in the quality of the other images

66. Ed Bortoni March 30, 2010 at 1:01 pm #

Best #16 without a doubt.
    Least fav #14. Didn't invoke any response for me.

67. Stephan Mantler March 30, 2010 at 1:02 pm #

Fav: hood ornament (#08 right). the pairing with #08 left doesn't really work for me though.

Least fav: the vehicles in #14. They just speak one huge empty bit of silence to me. Closely followed by #13 left and #13 right.

Couple overall comments: Generally, I like the more abstract images (eg #30, #24 right, #22 left, #23 left, #19) better for iPhone pics.

Some images are nice (eg. #17, #18, #32) but in my opinion they don't show anything particular to the iPhone and (or any in-phone app edits). They could have been very well been taken with any other camera without anybody noticing, so I'd say they'd also be candidates for replacement.

68. Jerry March 30, 2010 at 1:15 pm #

Favorite – 16 – looks like a Polaroid
    Least favorite – 3 – there's just too much going on.

69. Seb March 30, 2010 at 1:40 pm #

Fav page 16, least fav page 11 number 2

70. Sebastian March 30, 2010 at 1:56 pm #

Looks like 22b is in Chicago Airport?

Favorite – 16. Not just for the legs (although they are very nice) but overall lighting and suggestive pose. I like it a lot.

32 and 33 are runner up for me.

71. Chuck March 30, 2010 at 2:02 pm #

Not loving the left image in diptych #9 – it seems out of place.
    13 seems a little cliché
    And I see the reason #32 is the last one – amazing shot

72. MJ March 30, 2010 at 2:05 pm #

16 and 6 are my definitely my favorites. The two van shots are the only ones that don't have something "wow" about them to me. Looking at your iPhone photos makes me feel so inspired!

73. Tyson March 30, 2010 at 2:33 pm #

Hi Chase & Scott
    Top favorites
    Kid with Kite
    Legs at the air port….Wow
    Cowboy Wisdom Juxtaposed with Tag

Least favorite
    Rainbow / Fish
    25 road / iced windshield (I like the texture that the two shots share, but you asked us to choose so….)

Good luck with the critique.

74. Jorden March 30, 2010 at 2:38 pm #

Would have to go with #8. Can't figure out what it is, so keep going back to it….hmmmm

75. EddFirm March 30, 2010 at 2:43 pm #

Image 16 for me is the standout pic. I shoot people and the pic evokes so many questions. Its also damn sexy. If I had to choose the one(s) I like least it would be image 14. The vans dont work so well for me personally. They seem a little erm, I dont know how to describe it, a bit too much like adverts from craiglist… Great sets of pairings otherwise. I do love pic 16……

76. Eugene Mak March 30, 2010 at 3:27 pm #

Favourite #16 – The composition and mystery really draw me in :)

Least Favourite Pair #14 – Nothing in this image really draws me in and it's perhaps a little plain?

77. Jeff Ambrose March 30, 2010 at 3:30 pm #

12R is my favorite with 16 being a close second. I think 25 is my least liked paring, it just doesn't do anything for me.

78. Brennan Sheremeto March 30, 2010 at 4:03 pm #

Page 4 is my favorite, love the two images. It just barely beats out page 16 (im a sucker for those legs)

and page 14 would be my least favorite, just boring

looking forward to a new book from you

79. Hector Velarde March 30, 2010 at 4:26 pm #

just amazing, all are my favs.. simple as that… but if i have to say one.. mmm the least would be 1 and 14… the favs mmmm 2, 3, 4, 16, 17, all the rest

80. Ben McCallum March 30, 2010 at 5:19 pm #

There are many ways into photography. Courses left right and centre, and then there are the photographers that do it on their own account.

While courses are great because they give you some technical know how, they alone will not make you a good photographer. Imagination and a good eye for what looks good is critical to being successful. I don't write this to say that if you don't have a good eye not to become a photographer, I write it to tell you that courses are only a part of the learning curve. Getting outdoors and snapping away is the best way to grow your imagination and find what works for you.

Many photographers take a photography course and expect to be great, unfortunately they haven't taken the time to get out and about and experience the practical side of the art. Practice makes perfect, and while no photo is perfect, and not to say my photography is either you need to take the time to roll off 10,000's of photos to get to be in a position such as Chase and his team.

Even after rolling of 10.000s of photos you will never know everything, so when you get the chance, pick photographers brains when ever you can. You will be surprised how many times you have overlooked something simple but extremely effective.

81. Tyson Habein March 30, 2010 at 5:31 pm #

I'm going to break it down into the ones that gave me a def. gut reaction one way or the other.

Keepers:
    pair 17
    pair 21
    pair 31 (epic!)
    pair 32
    pair 12 (a favorite)
    pair 4, 3, 2 are classic "that's a Chase Jarvis" images

Toss 'em:
    in pairs
    18, doesn't give me anything new
    14, same
    13, doesn't move me in any way
    8 (specifically the shoes. I've seen it before, with more interesting kicks)
    7, I'm left thinking that this could have come out of anyone's cell anywhere and that means it kind of fails.
    6 no feelings. no feelings=bad.

thanks for the chance to continually see what you're working on.

82. Paul Charette March 30, 2010 at 5:51 pm #

17 is definitely my favourite. Had a much harder time picking my least favourite.

Least favourite going with 13. I appreciate the pig/bacon thing, but the state of the bacon just visually turns me off. Never would of thought I'd be saying no to bacon in any form.

83. Curtis S. March 30, 2010 at 6:15 pm #

Dude…love number 30 – the colors are awsome and number 13 is pretty crazy….it's the other white meat!

84. Suselek March 30, 2010 at 6:40 pm #

If I have to choose one of each, I love bar (#17) and I hate pig (#13).
    I have few more favorites,like shuttered glass (#5), 25 on the road (#6), and both roads from above (#20 and #22). I don't particularly like flight attendens (#12) and the cars (#14) are so lifeless….
    Overall, these is a great compilation of some really interesting images. Thanks for sharing them.

85. Mer Phillips March 30, 2010 at 6:59 pm #

8- not so much, it didn't really strike anything up in my brain.
    12- I loved the flight attendants! very classy in my books. i thought it was a friendly picture.
    14- not feelin' the white vans so much
    22- this is insanium in the cranium! loved eveything about both pictures, and loved them even more right next to each other!
    31- one of my favs, in fact i want one of those!
    hope this is helpful!
    mer

86. Travis Fellows March 30, 2010 at 7:58 pm #

16 is my favorite… the pic of garbage on 7 is my least favorite. I love most of the pairings. Keep up the awesome work!

87. Marshall March 30, 2010 at 8:14 pm #

Well, opinions being what they are, I guess I'll have one (or 30…)

I must admit that I miss a few of the hits from the original set of iphone pics. I totally agree with refreshing, but keeping a few of them might be ok, too.

But, on to the new set:
    1: A fun little intro
    2: left side better, but they work together well because of the angles
    3: I like that the left one rewards inquisitive study
    4: Like the right side better, though the combination works.
    5: Clever combination, but the shots aren't as strong individually
    6: left side great; right side meh
    7: feels "real", but not very appealing (how does this fit with the overall portfolio?)
    8: meh (hey, they're just opinions)
    9: interesting visual trick
    10: strong: fits the overall aesthetic
    11: strong: lovely balance
    12: for the travelers, this will speak
    13: again, not necessarily appealing, but creative
    14: teasing at eggleston with a polaroid
    15: nicely seen, but not that interesting visually. meh.
    16: a little alien, but will appeal to many viewers, B
    17: great angle. The set really starts to take off here.
    18: nice variety in the set
    19: graphic and visually exciting
    20: nicely seen
    21: also fun
    22: great clean graphic on the left side, a little undone by the right
    23: left side of this with the left side of 22. The rights aren't as strong.
    24: also a nice graphic
    25: meh, piecemeal
    26: Nice variety
    27: Nice play on simple subjects, though not my favorite in the set.
    28: that's a fun comparison in the vein of the pig/bacon one. Like this one better.
    29: great motion in the diptych
    30: a really nice follow from 29
    31: Favorite of the set: a lot better than what most people are trying to do with their iphones at concerts
    32: Great ending shot

Short form: out if I'm being a rough editor: 5, 6.2, 7, 8, 13, 22.2, 23.2, 25.

Now about that random drawing… ;-)

Love what you're doing overall with the simpleCam.

- Marshall

88. iklash March 30, 2010 at 8:29 pm #

#16 would be my fav photo, there is something about this photo, something deep, #16 ROCKS!!!

89. Christopher Skow March 30, 2010 at 8:55 pm #

No.6 is my favorite. No. 16 is amazing. The whole thing is totally inspiring – thanks.

Christopher

90. Damien Tepe March 30, 2010 at 9:01 pm #

I really enjoyed the moving side walk double. cool texture really shows the motion

91. Marc March 30, 2010 at 9:25 pm #

16 and 5 are my favs. I think the two van pictures can go. A great gallery all around though.

92. Tristan Jud March 30, 2010 at 10:03 pm #

I like #16, I think #13 should go.

I also like #03, but there are so many I could put down as ones I like.

93. jules March 30, 2010 at 10:11 pm #

Brill: The yellow lines and yellow laces

Meaningless: Women's arses – this includes the 2 shots of headless women, taken from behind (no.12 and no.16).

Crap: Right hand side of no.7 What is it? No idea.

94. jules March 30, 2010 at 10:19 pm #

tee hee. I posted my comment before reading any others. I see all you boys find women's bums extraordinarily interesting. It is so weird – the way people are blinded by sex…

95. jewelrose March 31, 2010 at 5:52 am #

#16 Best
    #13 Not

96. Danny Postawa March 31, 2010 at 6:00 am #

I'd have to say my most favorite photo out these newly posted would be #7, which is the photo with the sun bursting through the clouds with the lightpole in front of it. I like the colors and how they fade from black to a "sunvisored" blue.

My least favorite image would be #6. Although a clear photograph isn't always the best, The photo just didn't strike me in ways the others did.

97. backwoods photography March 31, 2010 at 6:07 am #

I love the picture with the man in plaid taking photos of she sea birds. It's relateable because I'm from a small coastal town and I do this all the time, hoping I won't get crapped on.
    My least favorite, just because of the content, was the dead pig. I just ate my breakfast which was coincidentally saussage and toast. *holds back, gulps*

98. mjpoolephotography March 31, 2010 at 6:07 am #

99. joseph March 31, 2010 at 6:18 am #

Shoe laces over painted floor: cool
    number 25 on the ground: ehhh

Triplets pulling luggage on escalator: cool
    bacon in pan + pig face: ehhh

Orange textured surface: cool
    corrugated cardboard: ehhh

Yellow showlaces over yellow stripes on floor is my favorite in this set. Let me know if when you need my mailing address for my book :)

100. Felix March 31, 2010 at 6:27 am #

Hi
    I loved #5

101. ReneG March 31, 2010 at 6:47 am #

Favorite is #16. Looks fantastic. (31 and 32 are amazing too)

Least favourite is #14 – it looks too plain.

102. Chad Jackson March 31, 2010 at 7:02 am #

Hot: #30
    Although you have a lot of great shots in this gallery, Im really drawn to graphical elements and this pairing kept me coming back for more. The colors, motion, and angles really stood out to me over many others.

Not: #4
    This pairing seems so overdone and cliche that I barely noticed it was there. The colors are interesting to a degree, but it looks like any joe on the street type image. There is nothing creative, different, unique, and most of all…no life in the images.

Hope that helps. Love your work Chase!

103. Anthony Luke March 31, 2010 at 7:12 am #

Hey Chase,
    I always enjoy reading your blog. Great work!

In regards to the iPhone pics; Bad news first….my least favorite is 14/32
    (vans). Nothing special going on in my opinion. *But* my favorites are
    16/32, 2/32, 5/32 and 20/32.

Cheers!
    Anthony

104. Anthony Luke March 31, 2010 at 7:12 am #

Hey Chase,
    I always enjoy reading your blog. Great work!

In regards to the iPhone pics; Bad news first….my least favorite is 14/32
    (vans). Nothing special going on in my opinion. *But* my favorites are
    16/32, 2/32, 5/32 and 20/32.

Cheers!
    Anthony

105. Jon March 31, 2010 at 7:17 am #

Even though you already chose #2 to show off your gallery, it's still my favorite. I think #15 is slightly funny, but it's my least favorite.

106. Brian Davis March 31, 2010 at 7:21 am #

I really like the airplane engine out of the window on #2. The composition is really interesting and the colors make it pop.

On #5, I really like the glass cracking. The pattern has an abstract pattern that is interesting, but you're still able to tell what it is. I also like the extreme contrast that it has.

On #6 I like the shot with the 25 painted on the street. The composition is fantastic and I love the highlighted and shadowed areas.

Some of my least favorites are the tanker on #11 and the vans on #14…to me they just aren't that interesting. The simple composition and muted colors just don't match some of the other great images you have in your portfolio.

107. Erin Wilson March 31, 2010 at 8:04 am #

I jotted down a list of my favourites as I scrolled through, but I'm not sure listing them would be particularly helpful after 104 other comments.

The common element to the ones I preferred was that they seemed to take full advantage of what they were… images made with a camera. The images felt like they were made in those times and situations on the margins.

108. Kris Heylen March 31, 2010 at 9:18 am #

Favorite: 16
    Least favorite: 14

109. Mark DiJulio March 31, 2010 at 9:37 am #

Chase,

Least favorite: 13 and 15

Favorite: 22 and 32

110. Linda March 31, 2010 at 9:39 am #

2 are really fantastic. (car and airplane)

5 are really fantastic (spiderweb and shattered glass)

not a fan of the second image in 7.

111. Barney Walsh March 31, 2010 at 10:53 am #

The one that stands out for me as the worst is #25. All the others made me 'feel' something – a thought, an emotion, a memory, a smell, a taste, even a sound. But the building shot in #25 seemed out of place – my mind went blank, nothing happened. I wanted the patterns to emote something, but after several reviews, it still felt flat.

The best is a tie between 16 and 18. 18 reminds me of more famous black/white images of mountains and clouds, and makes me wonder where is that and how can I get there. #16, aside from the obvious masculine reasons, made me wonder what airport was she in, where was she going and why did she have so much luggage.

Great shots, great feelings.

112. lenij March 31, 2010 at 11:45 am #

Contrary to popular opinion, I won't vote for 16. Good shot but its too easy to make a model look good. My preferences are for 5right – love the abstract, 17 for great lighting and the way my eye is drawn into the shot, 25right for the colour and lines and 32 for the great story.

113. Dietmar Bachmann March 31, 2010 at 12:33 pm #

Chase, your new iPhone gallery is just great! Happy eastern! Didi (@bildwerkstatt)

114. Jake Whitish March 31, 2010 at 2:26 pm #

I think my least favorite would be the set of the guys arm/marker or the two vans. They dont really seem to fit in with the rest of the portfolio. I really like the comparisons made in your pairings though, especially the spider web/glass and the two sun flares.

115. Jonathan March 31, 2010 at 4:32 pm #

Morning Chase..

OK least favourite is 31, I can see what your trying to achieve but the iphone cam at concerts is just awful (both in my experience and with this shot).

Favourite is 13 because, well, who doesn't love a tasty slice of pig?!

Have a good Easter mate.

116. GM March 31, 2010 at 5:27 pm #

I found that I was most impressed with the texture and movement of #5/32 as well as with the pairing in #9/32.

My least favorite would be #11/32 and #27/32 as the pairings just seemed flat next to the others.

117. Cynthia Wood March 31, 2010 at 7:13 pm #

My favorites: #5, #12, #13, #19, #20, #22, #28, #30

Least favorite(s): #3, #4, #7, #8, #15, #21, #25, #27

Overall, I prefer the pairings* as they seem to 'say' more than the stand-alone images — and for me I actually think this has a lot to do with image quality…

I am in complete agreement with you that pixels and such have little to do with how an image is perceived or even valued…and that the best camera truly is the one you have with you. (I am and have been a practitioner of this philosophy long before the advent of the iPhone! I simply use [and have always used] my point-and-shoot in the same way you use your iPhone.)

However, I think the pairings* tend to pick up where the pixels/shortcomings of the iPhone's camera leave off, and they ADD something –add value, if you will– to those images. Whereas the stand-alone iPhone shots are more like crappier versions of what might otherwise be good (or even great) photos had you been using better equipment. Does that make sense?

*Some of the pairings are truly amazing, or really visually interesting, or else witty, etc. They make connections, which is what we all, ultimately strive to do (right?). :)

118. Andrew Rasmussen March 31, 2010 at 7:17 pm #

faves: 5 right, 13 right and 32.

Not so strong, 2,3,4 right,7,9,14
    I don't get what people like about 17. The warmth of the light flooding in jars with the attitude of the figure behind the bar.

12 and 16… I can see both sides of the argument on these.

I think you want two really strong images for a pairing. For me, several of the pairs has an image that would be just as good or better on it's own.

119. Noah April 1, 2010 at 1:58 am #

Apparently I went a little overboard… Part 1/3

1) I like these. The photo being held up serves as "inverse framing" for the portrait.

2) These pair well, a nice travel theme.
    Left: The horizontal tiltblur is an interesting concept, but it messes up visual cues.
    Right: The colours really sell the plane. It makes something that can often be a pain fun and playful.

3) Left: The slight lack of focus makes it hard to look at. It also lacks structure to some degree.
    Right: This one evokes a feeling of the streets, and would probably fare better with a different pairing.

4) Left: I like the colour bands, though the trees on the bottom right are somewhat disruptive to the composition.
    Right: This one is cool, though would probably fare better with a more future-industrial partner. Its also a little more earthy, which I don't find complements the tealish colour on the left.

5) These are cool. I like the radial/explosive nature of the lines in these ones. The saturated red on the right lends to this. The b&w; vs colour is a nice juxtaposition here.

6) At first I wasn't sure about the one on the right, though it grew on me. I like the duplicated shadow/line in these images. As well, the grain in both of these complement each other nicely. The tiltblur in this one (left) looks much better, probably because its in line with the large shadow.

7) These leave the viewer questioning what they see, though in a good way. They both have a sense of "I wonder what this situation was" in them.

8) The oranges and reds in these are nice. The left has appealing patterns, I love the glint on the right. The composition on the right is especially nice, I like the sharp edges between highlights and shadows.

9) The yellows, browns in these pair nicely.
    Left: Obvious yet abstract. I really like the filthy colours in this one.
    Right: I love how this ones from the lululemon shoot. Can't let money overpower art. I admire your devotion to personal work. As for the image, I like the yellow lines, and how they draw the eye up and down the image.

10) Left: This ones funny, caught in the act of taking pictures of terribly common birds… Though even so, the colours are great, and the blown out sky pulls this one together.
    Right: The beigey browns match the left, and the footprints are appropriate.
    This pair is one of my favourites. Reminds me of the awe often found in a photographer whos just beginning. Awesome stuff.

11) I like the size difference between these two. You have almost a golden ratio between the horizontal widths. It makes for a really appealing diptych.
    Left: this ones a bit compositionally weak. I want to like it, but the truck really draws the eye off the image, since its intersecting the right edge.
    Right: I like the narrow cropping on this one. Very industrial, very cool. I like the contrasting wall colours, cool stuff. This one could probably use a better pair.

12) These are a good pair. Reminds me of the hustle and bustle of flight/travel.
    Left: the horizontal lines are nice in this one. The moire is a bit annoying but understandable given the situation.
    Right: The bold jackets in this one draw the eye up the page, in line with the moving sidewalk. Its a cool effect.
    These are another of my favourites.

13) An excellent juxtaposition. A shocking pair. Reminds me of http://www.boingboing.net/2010/03/29/philip-pullman-on-ce.html "No one has the right to live without being shocked."
    Left: A bit blurry, but it gets the point across.
    Right: Filthy and gruesome. It's excellent.
    That said, for these two, I think they might work better in opposite positions. Western viewers will tend to look left to right, and I think "gruesome pig head -> noooo, not my beloved bacon" works a bit nicer than "oh look bacon -> eww, a pig head". Also, since the bacon is a bit blurry, flipping them gives a bit more initial impact.

120. Noah April 1, 2010 at 1:58 am #

Part 2/3:

14) Left: cropping a bit off the left would strengthen the symmetry in this one.
    Right: this ones cropped a bit too tight. I find the scene somewhat dull to be honest.

15) Left: The lines form a nice backwards Z across the photo. The slogan is pretty funny. Always fun to find absurd stuff like this.
    Right: The line of pure red is a bit much. This might work with another picture, but I think the saturation differences are a bit too much for this pair.

16) I see this one's taken in your studio. More personal work during commercial work it seems. The blown out sky simplifies the image. I like how the light hits the bag, it gives a neat minimalist feel. And of course, the lovely talent adds nicely.

17) I love how the clock and bartender are blurred, and the world is seemingly melting away. Works very well considering the location. I also like the way the light highlights each of the bottles on the shelf. Great framing on this one.
    Another one of my favourites.

18) The diagonal tiltshift effect doesn't work with this one. Again, it throws off the balance in this image. The b&w; definitely works well though. Tiltblur might work in this image however, maybe have blur on both sides vertically and have the treeline on the left in focus?

19) B&W; is definitely key in these, colour would just distract. I love how the patterns almost mimic each other in these. A great pairing.
    Left: The high black point makes this one, I love the solid bars of black across the image. The background texture makes you want to look around this image again and again.
    Right: For a picture of cardboard, its about as good as it gets. Again, the black bars are great, and the corrugations match up nicely with the fence chainlinks.

20) Left: the colours are interesting, but the subject matter really isn't. However, I cant help seeing a face in this one.
    Right: the square format works great with this one. The road curves nicely and the framing is great. That said, this photo doesn't really match up with the one on the left. The left image is somewhat full of decay, while this ones inspires more of a "Boards of Canada" feel (BoC the band, if you haven't heard of them, I recommend the album "Music Has the Right to Children"). This image could be made that much better with a stronger pair.

21) Left: slightly abstract, though I like the lines. The colours contrast nicely with the background, and go well together.
    Right: These photos are a good match. I especially love how this more urban photo is "spilling over" visually into its more rural pair. Good stuff.

22) Left: I absolutely love this photo. This photo is like painted obsidian. Very painterly, very gorgeous. The lines are great, the tones are glassy. Amazing.
    Right: It's a somewhat interesting picture, but I find its lacks structure to some degree. If the image was panned down a little, and the floor was included a bit more, that might "ground" the image a bit more.
    The pairing is ok, though the left photo far surpasses the right photo.

23) Left: The silvery b&w; is awesome. The lines are manic, but work nicely together.
    Right: The car and sparks are pretty cool. The white bars would be distracting if this picture was by itself, but in this case work decently well to tie this image into its pair.

24) Left: I like how this scene is almost crosshatched with lines, very cool. The angle pulls the viewers attention nicely across the image.
    Right: The image could use a slight rotation, but it's not that big a deal in this case. I love how the light hits the railing, and how it cuts a path of white and black through the striped background. Some people might not like the gray-orange under the bar, but I think its fine.

121. Noah April 1, 2010 at 1:59 am #

Part 3/3:

25) Again, I like the ratio between the image widths. Both of these images are neat, with just a few colours each. The left looks very industrial design, and the right looks like film stock. Its a neat duality. My one complaint is the floating elements on the sides and near the top of both images. They're distracting and lessen the impact the images would otherwise have.

26) Left: this photo is very exotic-futuristic, with a touch of steampunk. The muted colour, and grain in this image works nicely. However, while it wouldn't be an issue if this photo was by itself, the flagpole in the other image makes the Burj Khalifa look crooked.
    Right: I like the framing and contrast between the blues and red. The noise/grain ties this image into its pair. However, like I said, this image throws of the balance in the other image.

27) Left: The orange as it fades into black looks very cool. The white splotch complements the background nicely.
    Right: The colours are great in this one. Works well cropped to a square like you have it. This image isn't bad, but I don't find it particularly complements its pair.

28) I like this pair. Each image is ok on its own, but as a pair they really complement each other. Red vs. blue, horizontal lines vs. vertical lines, bird of prey vs. rubber chicken. It works out nicely.

29) The colours in these match up nicely. The green object on the left is a little teal, but otherwise it seems the colours more or less carry right across.

30) I really like these ones. The colours in each of these are really quite nice, very painterly. Both of these would be quite strong by themselves, but they go really well together. I like how the diagonal motion on the left blends seamlessly into the rotational motion on the right. An excellent pairing. Don't change these at all.

31) The image on a whole is so so, not great, but I like how the light hits each persons head. It really provides a sense of layering and depth in the image.

32) I like this image. The silhouette works well, and the colours in the sky are muted enough so that they aren't distracting. The sun is a bit blown out, but I actually like how large the circle of light ends up being.

122. John April 1, 2010 at 7:47 am #

Best Image: 16 – It's interesting, sexy, has great composition and lighting and makes me want to know who this lady is.

Worst Image: 18 – "Oh look, mountains." Looks like it was taken from a moving car while driving through the mountains. Beautiful location, uninspiring photo.

123. James Midwinter April 1, 2010 at 7:59 am #

22 is the only one that could be in a 'proper' portfolio section. A superb image regardless of the camera it was taken on.

12 is the only one that says nothing to me.

124. Ryan Bracci April 1, 2010 at 8:48 am #

The airplane engine one is so cliche. I like some of the concept ones, like the pig head and bacon. I think my fav is #16 though.

125. Bryan Mitchell April 1, 2010 at 7:28 pm #

Out – 1 (not a good image to start with),4, 14, 15, 25, 26
    IN – 2, 8, 11, 12, 17, 31

Not feeling strong one way or the other about the rest. Love the feel of 12 and 2 kicks ass.

126. James April 1, 2010 at 9:22 pm #

Love the one with the bar and the clock above it, I think it is the most moving (#17). I also like #5. Nice job.

Did not like the one with the fish and colored lines, number 29, as for me, it seems to lack creativity and wasn't very moving.

All are overall good, thanks for sharing.

127. Styrmir Kári April 2, 2010 at 6:01 am #

16, 17 and 32 are all faves… hard to choose between them.

Least favorite is pairing 14, with the vans, they just seem dull and boring compared to the rest of this great collection.

128. Tai April 2, 2010 at 8:59 am #

Really hard to choose my favorite, but I'm going with #8 of the shattered glass. My least favorite is #23 of the cooking food.

129. Darren April 2, 2010 at 9:37 am #

Love #27. Should say Love the left. The right I could do without. Pairing is nice though.

Hate the right side of #3. The nasty noise does nothing for this photo but make it a photo with noise. Some photos this works with, this one from my eyes looks too distracting and out of place.

130. rumon April 3, 2010 at 7:40 am #

The dips are nearly all dope, but 24's the tops for me (5 a close, though more obvious, second). 16: Dude. Nuf said. Think I'm outest on the piggies at 13 – not 'cause they're shocking, mostly 'cause the bacon pic's just not great.

131. Chad Conington April 3, 2010 at 8:35 am #

Hi Chase and Scott! Thanks for the opportunity to comment on your work and creating such a great online photography/creativity community! Here are a few of my thoughts with regards your updated iphone portfolio:

1 – Fun picture that sets the tone for the rest of the portfolio

2 – Not so keen on the blurred taxi/reflection image but I like the red airplane engine image as it contrasts/compliments with the cool blue

3 – Not my favorites but fun use of texture and reflection with the first image and i like the way the viewer is drawn into the orange cone in the second. I also like the way the blur swoops up and across

4 – Really like both these images. The first highlights both a passing tempremental storm and the fresh calming beggining of sunshine, colours etc. The second image captures a beautiful sunburst (i think in Seattle's gasworks park, not been there!) Like the decaying metal complementated by nature's sunshine and greenery reclaiming the metal.

5 – Both are popular types of shots but done really well. The use of B&W; highlights and emphasises the beauty of a frosted spider's web. The reflected red and subtle green highlight the abstract detail of a broken mirror

6 – Subtle calm images, demonstrate how you can find beautiful shots everywhere if you just use your eyes.

7 – Not so keen on these two images although I like the link between the green text on the arm and the green t-shirt in the background

8 – Lighting and shadows have help create a great sense of shape, structure and colour in these images. I also like the perspective of the second

9 – I like the way the refelected light has blurred in the floor. Its as though you have the clean crisp lines of one world and then the crazy creative other world in the reflection. I like the way the second image has an almost fisheye view. It makes it feel as though it is part of a skateboard shoot and that the person is riding the yellow lines.

10 – I like this shot of the flying birds although not sure if i would prefer it without the other photographer in it and yet the having them in the picture does help to tell a story. Not just foorprints in the sand but lovely lighting that highlights the delicate footprints of a bird and makes you sense the feeling of the soft sand.

1/3

132. Chad Conington April 3, 2010 at 8:35 am #

11 – I like the colours of the truck picture but not keen on the composition. Really like the second. It has great composition, shape and use of colours. The shape and lines of the pipes have great shadows and help create a mechanical man made structure feel etc.

12 – I like what these images are attempting, particularly the first one but maybe could have worked better.

13 – Lots of levels to these two pictures. Sense of fun as in the first picture of the portfolio is continued. Character of the pig next to what he will become. the pig head has a sterile medical forensic feel to it, sort of like a Damien Hirst piece. Tounge sticking out adds humour. I would swap the images around.

14 – Not keen on the van pictures, although that said the first image has a kind of lo-fi retro feel to it that i like. It reminds me of holiday pictures from when I was a kid in the eighties!

15 – Not keen on the cowboy wisdom composition but is in keeping with the fun feel of other images. Really like the blending colours of the brick wall and the complimenting turqoise graffitti

16 – I think this is in your studio. Love the composition and the way the light is starting to burst through under the model's knees. guitar case and other gear give it a rock n roll feel.

17 – I like the feel of this image but maybe too blurred

18 – This is similar to your personnel work from New Zealand, I really like the clouds but the blurred trees in the bottom right are too distracting.

19 – I really like these abstract images. The strong contrasting shadows, lines of the first image work really well with each other. In the second image, I like the way you have picked out something ordinary (cardboard) and shown the beautiful patterns within it through use of subtle lighting,

20 – Not keen on the lighting in the first image but I do like the texture and blending of colours caused by rusting. I like the perspective and composition of the second image.

2/3

133. Chad Conington April 3, 2010 at 8:36 am #

21 – Apart from the ligthing on the yellow thing not keen on this image, but i really like the distorted persective and cropping of the second.

22 – I like some of the ideas with these images (tyre trails in snow next to light trails in bar) but felt they were rushed.

23 – I really like the crazy random tyre patterns, textures and occasional footprint. Reminds me of a Pollock style of painting. The second image is great too, the composition of the car gives it a floating/possessed feel in contrast to the explosion of sparks/light trails.

24 – Not sure if the street in this image is reel or a painted optical illusion? You can see the brick patterns in the glass of the doors?!?! Quite like the second but not that fussed.

25 – I like the art deco/mackintosh look of the second image.

26 – The faded lighting and colours make the building look huge in the distance but not keen on the stuff in the bottom. The second image has lovely blending of blues with the punching contrasting red flag.

27 – I like the blending colours of both images particularly the second where you have browns/oranges and autumnal colours next to the spring like fresh blue of the boat and then within the boat little hints of red. The image kind of represents the blending of the seasons.

28 – The first image is one of my favourites. I love the pinky/red colour of the blind with its highlight lighting alond the edge of each segment of the blind which creates a fantastic abstract/modern/futuristic man made background for the natural beauty of a bird of prey. the irony being that the bird is stuffed and therefore man made. The second image has nice use of colours and framing but i don't think it works well with the first image.

29 – Like previous images I like the way these two capture the beauty, colour and hidden patterns of random objects. I also like the relection of the fish, again not sure if the images work well together.

30 – Again more abstract beautiful patterns. These two work well together as the main focus is the direction of the blur.

31 – Cool gig shot, the burst of light gives the band/artist a god like feel!

32 – I love the composition and feel of this image, the soft gradual sloping of the hill, the seemingly magical floating kite and the silhouette outline of it all next to the soft ligthing of the evening sky.

Thanks again,

Chad

3/3

134. chad Conington April 3, 2010 at 8:39 am #

25 – I like the art deco/mackintosh look of the second image.

31 – Cool gig shot, the burst of light gives the band/artist a god like feel!

Thanks again,

Chad

3/3

135. Marius April 3, 2010 at 2:50 pm #

I dig the image with the plane turbine/motor . you expect Superman to appear nice shot Sir !

136. Bojorchess April 4, 2010 at 12:51 am #

Fave: #17. Great ambience. Lonely bar. Bright light coming through the window. Bar tender walking. Great picture.

Least Fave #9. Good combination of yellow tones in both pictures, but probably one of the simpler-themed pair from the selection. Didn't bring the Wow factor for me, which the rest of them did :)

Great work. Love seeing your daily post.

Cheers,

-Roberto Bojorquez

137. Eliano Imperato April 4, 2010 at 7:02 am #

I love photos n. 32, 31 and 16. In these shots have been represented the emotions with an image!

Best regards,
    Eliano

138. throughHislens April 4, 2010 at 11:39 pm #

Love the pattern and repetition photos. In addition, the in-the-moment shots are epic too, especially the kite one.

Least fav is 27(left)- maybe if I knew more about the place or what it was… just seems bland. I do like the right one on that page for the colors.

139. kids games April 5, 2010 at 2:24 am #

Number 22 is awesome! You've really got a winner there

140. David April 6, 2010 at 1:47 am #

Least Fav is the pig. It's cool for what it is, but less cool aesthetically to me.

Fav is the one with the back of the girls legs and luggage. It just makes me feel like there is a long story that goes with it. I remember you blogging it and it was a model or something during a shoot, but it looks like you could write a book about those legs and where they have been. Love it.

141. Michael Meeks April 6, 2010 at 8:21 pm #

Lose the vans…keep the legs…and the bacon. Everybody likes bacon.

142. Craig Maunder April 12, 2010 at 9:54 am #

My least favourite is #4 with the sunsets/rises. Just seems bland compared to all the others and almost too obvious a pairing.

My favourite is a tie between #2 (which you obviously already like from the blog post) and #5 with the cracked glass.

143. Andrew Ferguson April 12, 2010 at 3:46 pm #

Any chance you’ll be making a version of The Best Camera for the Android platform? Some sources indicate yes (http://www.flickr.com/groups/1176945@N23/discuss/72157622475942245/), but I’d love to hear the official word.

144. Norton Zanini April 13, 2010 at 4:24 pm #

I’d like to thank all of you who contributed with your opinion, thoughts and ideas through this assignment (if you will), it was very important so we could go through each and every comment, and gather everything in a chart and evaluate if there were any patterns, so your opinion will help shape the iPhone Portfolio page.

And as a special thanks, a book is on the way for @ylDave, @Aimee Greeblemonkey, @Taylor, @Chad Conington for your insightful support.

Tip for everyone: For the future If you’d like to win, make sure you provide an email address so we can reach you, perhaps (visible) on your Blogger/Fbook/Flckr… account.

145. Norton Zanini April 13, 2010 at 9:50 pm #

As the one in charge of the contests and prizes here at Chase Jarvis Inc. I’d like to thank all of you who contributed with your opinion, thoughts and ideas through this assignment (if you will), it was very important so we could go through each and every comment, see other viewpoints and also gather everything in a chart and evaluate if there were any patterns, so your opinion will help shape the iPhone Portfolio page.

Thanks everyone!

146. Elisabeth Robson April 21, 2010 at 4:04 pm #

Most Fave: 2
    Least Fave: 13 (mostly because I’m vegetarian and it’s awful to me that people think of animals as “consumables”)

147. Matt April 21, 2010 at 9:41 pm #

Not sure if you are still up for comments, but anyhow..
    The way you use the diptychs is great, i.e. the shattered glass vs. the spider web just sings, hard – soft, wet – dry. I could look at that aspect in the use of the the diptychs and see more and more of that contrast and also parallels in the images throughout the folio.
    That is what ties the whole thing together and makes it work for me.
    The final image is great, even more so if you didn’t set it up and just managed to pull out the phone and grab it.

148. Gene Cotton August 9, 2011 at 7:42 am #

I wish the building where I am at would replace all of their windows with storm impact windows. I don’t want to have to run off to somebody else’s place during the next bad hurricane. That is such a hassle to do that every time a really bad storm comes.

149. how to make money with an iphone app April 15, 2012 at 9:02 am #

Application Trailers seemingly Free of charge and it is a great way to rapidly see and check out the top attributes of an Request,