The Best Photo + Video Locations in the World

In the era before blogs really hit the mainstream, it was very unpopular in photography circles to share thoughts, techniques and insights about the craft as well as the industry/trade. It was taboo. Well, the monopoly on information has obviously crumbled and, while it upset a handful of ivory-towered folks in the photo, film and video industries, we’ve broken out of that paradigm to a new era of more democratized creativity.

Let’s consider doing the same thing with photo and video locations around the world.

It occurred to me some time ago that I’m in the remarkably lucky position of getting to shoot in some of the best photo and video locations in the world: the beaches of the South Pacific, the peaks of European Alps, the deserts of the Middle East, the markets of South America, the warehouses in Brooklyn, the streets of Paris and countless others. It’s a perk of the job, for sure. It also occurred to me that, it would be really cool to share the privilege of the knowledge of these locations with the world and, perhaps in return, get to learn about dozens, hundreds, even thousands of new locations that I’d never known of otherwise.

I’m admittedly in the very early stages of this idea, but I’d love to see if there’s an initial interest from this community such to spark–or help me motivate–a sort of crowd sourced aggregator of cool places to shoot images. If you have an interest, please take a few seconds and list a location or two you love that you’d like to share in the comments below. Whether it’s beautiful… [click ‘continue reading’ link below]

…sublime, gritty, or downright dangerous but fascinating, let me know if this is a good idea by listing a couple of your favorites. I’m looking for not just popular ones, but remote, unknown, etc. Under a bridge, next to a stream, in a warehouse or in an alley, etc. No limits. And the more specific the better. And let go of your fears that this information should somehow be sacred. Let’s turn that upside down.

If there’s a small groundswell around this idea, I’ll put in some more effort. If not, then at least this post can be a cool list of some new locations for those not in the know.

To start it off, I’ll offer a beautiful place I shot some winter lifestyle images yesterday–atop Chairlift 12 at Telluride Moutain Resort in southwest Colorado. An utterly sublime snow scene, with a warming hut not more than 100 meters away to stash gear and get some coffee. The iPhone snap above is sort of dark because we’d just finished shooting, but you get the gist. This was just one view of the backdrop next to the open snowfield (looking northwest).

So do you have a few places you wanna share? Where do you love to shoot?

Get my every move: Follow Chase Jarvis on Twitter
Get exclusive content: Become a Fan on Facebook

Of course, what a splendid site and revealing posts, I will bookmark your website.Have an awsome day!

You’ll be able to find the thing of one’s alternative along with go through the delivered graphic. The software provides you with the whole set of necessary information on an item including selection at extensive, the shapes, shades accessible and other specific features of your product or service. In addition, it comes with a wonderful great diversity of printed clothes for use on your little ones. No matter what outfits product you would like to obtain, you will definately get the application you’ll come to cheap charge. You

What’s up friends, pleasant piece of writing and good urging commented here, I am genuinely enjoying by these.

I think it’s better not to provide social security quantity.Do they called you ans ID?

Heya. I have already been questioning if spam comments frustrate authors like they anger me? I whole-heartedly hope that listing is without spam indefinitely. Great time. I appreciate your opinion.

Heya i’m for the first time here. I found this board and I in finding It truly helpful & it helped me out much. I hope to offer one thing back and help others like you aided me.

Nice post. I was checking continuously this blog and I’m impressed! Extremely useful info specifically the last part :) I care for such information a lot. I was seeking this certain info for a very long time. Thank you and best of luck.

juan says:

Hi Chase, looks like I got to this posting a little late. I just stumble upon your idea and I share the same way of thinking about sharing information.
I have created a whole website where anyone can upload and share the best spots to take pictures anywhere in the world. Is an ongoing resource that is growing.
I would love to share all the details with you. Our purpose is to make available information for everyone who loves to take pictures. Please take a look,T

The website is http://www.picaspot.com

Juan

chamellieon says:

Bay of Fires, Tasmania, AUstralia

James says:

The beach near my place

Also this will help http://freephotoguides.blogspot.com/

Seb says:

I see you've touched the desert already in Dubai. I myself have a fond memory of Timbuktu, Mali. If there is one location I've been where I would love to ever come back, it is the one.

The ride to Timbuktu is quite fun. Count eight to ten hours from Bamako. In a rush? Take the $100 direct flight from Bamako. It's an hour only. Even better ride there and fly back!

Check flickr's most interesting Timbuktu photos:

AGDM says:

The NJ Botanic Garden is picturesque

Ryan Smith says:

Another great idea Chase!

Some of my favorites:
Barton Creek Greenbelt in Austin, TX (especially near the Hill of Life)
The High Line in NYC (near the Meat Packing District)
Guadalupe Mountains National Park, TX (Bear Canyon and The Bowl)

Same idea is being used on a group at Linkedin called location Scouts, check it out.

Though it's an absolute pain in the ass to get out the them, the Pribilof Islands — smack dab in the middle of the Bering Sea, between Russia and the United States — are mind-bogglingly, jaw-droppingly stunning.

I highly, highly, highly recommend a trip to the St. Paul Island (the "tourist" island of the Pribilofs) for the wildlife, and then a visit to the St. George Island (the research island of the Pribilofs) for some of the most interesting landscapes ever — kinda' like Ireland meets the Arctic.

Just be forewarned that it's extremely difficult (and expensive) to get out to the Pribs, and that all travel is weather dependent.

Matt

Rik says:

There are spots along Skyline Drive, in the Shenandoah Nat'l Park (VA) that are great at sunrise and sunset.

If you venture out into the mountains in Transylvania, you get great views, and decrepit mountain citadels, such as those in Rupea and Rasnov, near to Brasov. Sibiu, Romania is also a very charming city, well worth some street photography.

This project sounds like a Google Earth layer or Google Maps overlay….

Akshath says:

few of my fav loc in India..

Kumartuli (in Kolkata), West Bengal,India – http://www.flickr.com/photos/akshath/3414162715

Pottery Town, Bangalore, India – http://www.flickr.com/photos/akshath/1029973622

Coonoor Station, Tamil Nadu, India – http://www.flickr.com/photos/akshath/2688586541

tdw says:

I love this idea, I was just bemoaning the lack of this sort of information a couple weeks back.

I recently did a lot of film noir style portraits, very environmental. So I've dug up some places in San Diego that work for that style:
1. La Jolla Cove: the alley between Ivanhoe and Herschel, running from Prospect to Silverado. Lots of old brickwork and great texture.
2. Balboa park, along El Prado, in the buildings/courtyards north of MoPA.

About half of these:
came from there.

On the southwestern coast of Jamaica, near a place called Junction, there was an old, creepy hotel that was bought and renovated into a school for troubled teens. They named it Tranquility Bay and offered "crisis intervention" services. The place was rich — high walls, creepy interiors, intimidating exteriors, and gorgeous sunsets and turquoise waters through barbed wire fences.

I made a short film about it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwUmc_Aoykc

Google map of it here: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source;=s_q&hl;=en&geocode;=&q;=tranquility+bay,+jamaica,+w.i.&sll;=18.020201,-77.809296&sspn;=0.243882,0.307961&ie;=UTF8&hq;=Tranquility+Bay&hnear;=Tranquility+Bay,+Jamaica≪=17.878778,-77.642441&spn;=0.488152,0.615921&z;=11&iwloc;=A&cid;=478921161229910463

Agrafa Mountain Region, Greece

Zagorochoria Region, Greece

Pineios River delta, Thessaly, Greece

Mount Olympus, Greece

Kalymnos Island, Greece

Landmanalaugar, Iceland

Anonymous says:

There is something very similar that is being done with a group on Linkedin called Location Scout. Same cancept and still in infant stage but aimed a bit differently.
you can find the group @http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=728907&trk;=myg_ugrp_ovr

kids games says:

You should check out Bugis Street in Singapore. Lotsa Asian flavor there. Shophouses and stuff

Arrogant Swiss Photographer says:

ANON SAID: West coast of Scotland, from Aberdeen down to Edenburgh

That is the east coast of Scotland. The west holds the charming Hebrides.

Kelly Ng says:

Steveston in Richmond BC… lots of historical shipyards, the boardwalk, farms, and quaint little areas.

Emily says:

A few people have mentioned Budapest already, and I'd have to agree. Not only does the place feel warm and friendly, it also offers some beautiful scenes and sites on both sides of the river…

Living in Australia, I can't go past the Whitsundays and all of Tropical North Queensland. Every sunrise and sunset is different up there, and different for every single beach (of which there are many!)

Love this idea, by the way :)

Anonymous says:

the best location is the one you have with you. :)

Anonymous says:

I got to go to American Samoa after the tsunami in October. What a beautiful place and what welcoming people!

Jiri says:

old jewish cemetery in Prague, Czech Republic. Magical place in the autumn

West coast of Scotland, from Aberdeen down to Edenburgh

Norby says:

There's a little rickety bridge along the highway between Santa Fe and Taos that always catches my eye. I can't imagine that people actually cross it with vehicles, but there appears to be a home and farm still populated on the other side …

Regarding collecting this information, I'm betting that somebody with some flickr API skillz could whip something up similar to the "Wildlife in your Neighborhood" app for this. Geotagging + examples in your face == browsing inspiration.

Liam says:

The shores of Lake Superior and Acadia National Park for landscapes.

Bosque del Apache NWR, New Mexico, USA for bird photography.

Ricky says:

Krabi, Thailand

kids games says:

Mentor Headlands Beach in Ohio please!

Justin S says:

Vail, Colorado
Gunella Pass, Colorado
Actually, anywhere in CO

Canadada says:

Nice idea …
Colorado is a wonderful spot for mountainscapes, but I think the foothills of the Rockies in Alberta are an unsung gem: in many respects, it remains untapped 'cattle' aka 'cowboy' country.

Likewise, just about anywhere in Canada is evocative. You can get the best of both worlds – urban/rural – within a very short range. Fresh or salt water venues are plentiful as are long expansive deserted wild beaches in the western B.C coast, or along the eastern shores of the Gaspe. All National Parks provide superb natural environments. Meaning, the further you 'walk' (or canoe) the better the shots and ops for wildlife … (Power boats are readily available for down and dirty commerical work…:)

Then there is 'The North'. Shooting north of the tundra is something on my 'hit list' – every shot/video I've ever seen from that region has 'beckoned' in a head/heart-tugging way. It's on my 'wish list'…

I'd like to shoot Iceland too, just after the spring thaw, when shorebirds and aquatic life re-emerge from winter's slumber…

ah, the more I think about this, the more I think there's no particular place that 'stands out' – cuz if the mind/eye is open – anywhere and anything can, with a sensitive eye, be WUNDERBAR!

Jeffrey says:

MR CHASE….YOUR BACKYARD! WHY HAVE TO GO ANYWARE, BUT HOME. THE CASCADES RANGE ARE THE BEST & I THINK WE HAVE SOME PRETTY GREAT PHOTOS TO PROVE THIS FACT! JEFFREY GILPIN JR.

Cam Cope says:

Nice topic Chase. The best location I ever shot at was on a sailboat. I didn't go anywhere, all the locations came to us! There was also the wild waves, the different moods of the ocean, amazing beaches and remote islands. Not to mention the onboard action, gusts tearing through, hair flying everywhere etc. Of course it didn't hurt that we were sailing up the coast of Queensland, north eastern Australia. Simply an amazing place. If anyone is interested in the shots from the voyage you can check out my website.

Cheers,

Cam.

Pionertown, California. It's just outside of Joshua Tree (also amazing). There is a great movie set from the 40's/50's that is fully intact, along with a great hotel that is very accommodating.

Benoit says:

kenscoff, haiti

Christchurch and the surrounding area, New Zealand

LINK says:

GPS technology is amazing, it's being incorporated into everything (cameras and video). Locations are mapped into sites like Flickr, so you can find that location and go shoot similar photos. Just amazing.

The Biocore prairie on the campus of the University of Wisconsin – Madison. Sunrise and sunsets are amazing.

http://blog.monkeymetal.com/2009/09/rebecca-on-the-prairie/ (NSFW)

knh771 says:

Two suggestions for a photographic road trip… US-26 from Riverton, WY to Jackson, WY through Grand Teton National Park or US-14 from Sheridan, WY to Cody, WY through the Big Horn Mountains.

corey says:

Also, a Wiki style photo spots website where people could add example photos on a map would be incredibly popular I am sure….

corey says:

I love the lookout on mont royal in montreal. again good warming hut where there are often 3 or 4 photographers waiting for the sun to set.

Landscape Shooter says:

Cumberland Island, Georgia

Wrangel Island, Russia

Logano, Switzerland

Turks and Caico's

Beaver Creek, Yukon

Greenland Ranch, California

Rogers Pass, Montana

Peter’s Sink, Utah

Sue says:

Love the West Bottoms in Kansas City AND my lakeside backyard!

1-Banff and Jasper National Parks in Canada
2-The south island of New Zealand
3-Paris

1 & 2 are perhaps the most incredibly beautiful places on earth for the natural wonders.

Paris just rocks for a million different reasons. From La Defense's modern sky scrapers to the Gothic style of Notre Dame and all the perfectly quaint areas around the city.

You can see a lot of why i feel this way on my website and blog:

Now all I have to do is go to everyone of the places recommended here to do a shoot!

burkjackson says:

I would have to say that the village near Lake Manosovar in western Tibet was one of the most intriguing places I'd shot. They had not seen many photogs a decade ago and were not jaded by the camera but curious as to who I was and what I was doing.

MJ says:

I haven't had opportunities to travel far out of Washington state, so my favorite place to photograph is Rialto Beach on the Olympic Peninsula near Forks.

Such a beautiful beach with fantastic rock formations out in the distance. In order to get to the beach you get to drive through the Olympic Rainforest, which in and of itself is gorgeous.

Christian says:

I love the Scottish highlands, Isle of Islay and loads more. I've got the most beautiful landscape in front of my house!

TOK says:

Cocora Valley in the Department of Quindio, Colombia (South America). Not necessarily my favourite place, but nowhere else in the world will you be able to see Palm trees growing at over 2000 metres above sea level.

Rick Joy says:

Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, anywhere here looks good. If you go to the beach in Empire, MI you can get a brand view of the northern and southern section of the dunes. There is also a feature there called the ghost forest with dead trees and fallen timbers where local photogs take photos of nude models. Virtually any spot in the dunes is a good place to shoot.

Stuart says:

Jericuacuara and Fernando de Noronha are two of the most interesting beaches in the world and both are in Brasil; San Blas Islands off the Caribbean Darien coast of Panama offer great locations with exotic people in fantastic native costumes; Narvik, Norway offers great mountain backdrops and drop-dead gorgeous people; and Ushuaia, Argentina, the Southern-most place in the Americas, offers great light and pristine, interesting locations.

Blue 3 says:

Nuremberg Germany around the old wall. You can go from markets to places kids should not go.

Steven says:

Austria! Specifically any location on/near lake Worthersee.

Definitely Iceland. The nature offers so much diversity. From glaciers to volcanoes, geothermal energy hot spots, deserts, aurora borealis (Northern lights) etc.

Trivoxphoto.com

Alex says:

Great idea Chase…

How about the roof of the Duomo in Milan, Italy at sunset or the hike between Amalfi Town and Ravello on the Amalfi Coast. I visited both locations last year and it was amazing! I have images if you would like to see them.

Nick Hall says:

Seems like Seattle locations are a little slim, so I'll chip in with one for you Chase. I recently shot a triathlete on his road bike under the West Seattle bridge. Amazingly, there is a car park that runs down the middle of the on and off ramps that take you down to Alki. Was a perfect little run for pacing and shooting from a moving vehicle while the triathlete cycled. There is a photo on my blog here if you wanna see: http://nickhallimages.blogspot.com/2010/02/urban-triathlete.html

Great idea mate!

First off I would like to say that this idea would be crucial for an up an coming photographer like myself. I could just imagine going on my iphone and it knowing where I am and telling me some cool places to shoot! wow! remember me if you make this app.

Cool places I've shot at:

San Francisco – Golden Gate bridge west side on the left peak. you can go all the way up to the old forts. epic on a good day.

Miami Florida – under 395 bridge maybe have seen this shot in the Lil Wayne vid.

Dominican Republic – Santiago Mountains.

Bryan says:

There is an old railroad warehouse in LaGrande, Oregon that has some interesting artists using it that makes for a fun place to shoot. Here's my blog post about it.

The Visitor says:

Winchester Avenue/60th Street, Chicago

Mount Elliot Street, Detroit

St. Nicholas Avenue, New York

Lamar Avenue, Memphis

7th Avenue, Miami

PLACES NOT TO SHOOT – WORST CRIME AREAS IN THE USA

James says:

There is this great abandoned dairy farm in Fort Wayne, Indiana at these coordinantes: 41.087113,-85.207949. There is a barn that was turned into offices that has been boarded up. So I would suggest not breaking into it. But the other building is open, and full of amazing photo opportunities. The only down side is that it is on private property.

I think more specific locations need to be posted as opposed to favorite regions/countries. I would love to find more abandoned buildings to shoot.

In no particular order, just as they popped into my head. They are all terrific! Here's my top ten:

1) Whitsunday Islands, Australia

2) San Gimignano, Tuscany, Italy,

3) Ngorongoro Crater, Tanzania

4) Maasai Mara, Kenya

5) New York, USA

6) Dingle, Kerry, Ireland

7) Connemara, Galway, Ireland.

8) Dublin, Ireland (Hometown!)

9) Wine Region of South Africa

10) Portofino, Italy

Regards

C

Backside Adler Planetarium/Northerly Island – Chicago…1hr before/1/2 hour after sunrise…check out some of my photos to see why..

Beatrice says:

I love to shoot the town where I spent all my summers while a child, Mystic, CT. It has all sorts of wonderful things to photograph: Clipper ships, an old apple mill that still is in operation, beautiful old buildings, a light house, and great wildlife.
Here are some of my photos:

Andrew Ptak says:

Somebody needs to make sense of this – indexable by subject, location, mood etc.

To be of any use it also has to be specific – Spain, Jamaica etc., are far too general. Specific locations by name, address, coordinates etc.,is the only way to fly. A flickr group would be a good idea to show samples, but an index by various criteria is a must.

Any takers?

nelson says:

One great location- Ellwood Beach in Goleta, CA. These beautiful bluffs above the Pacific and Channel Islands offer a fantastic, sun-splashed, Private, and amazing location for video or still.
Nelson Auge'

Abel says:

Montreal, Canada to me is the best spot. Especially, the Old Montreal where you have the French influence architecture. Then, you can go to different neighborhoods and have a completely different vibe from the Little Italy to to the Rich and Famous Westmount neighborhood.

Liquid Earth says:

One of my favorite locations is Gansbaai, South Africa, for its beautifully rugged coastline: http://vimeo.com/5676077

Another favorite is Cape Agulhas, the southernmost point of africa. See this blog post a few pics:

And last but not least: South West Australia, especially the area around Dunsborough, where the light has a sort of magical soft quality about it.

Great idea of sharing these locations by the way. Maybe we should all put them on a Google map.

Cynthia Wood says:

Hmmm. I feel like most of these "tips" are missing Chase's point entirely… Does it really count to name an entire city, country, or national park…? (Especially really obvious ones like "Paris" or "Yellowstone"?) Or an iconic location that has been photographed a BILLION times, like the Golden Gate Bridge??? Come on. Those aren't location TIPS!

I was going to offer up a really awesome and very specific location that I know about (in Texas) but where I haven't even had the opportunity to do a "proper" photo shoot myself… But never mind, I think I'll keep it to myself a little while longer!?

Meanwhile, I'll suggest this: Stark Alley in the Chinatown part of San Francisco is a great little location that truly lives up to its name — if you're looking for something tight, gritty and urban.

Home for me is always the best spot to shoot. I know all the spots that people drive by everyday and dont look twice at. Sure you can spend a lot of money going some other place, but I grew up in Washington all my live and never saw 1/10th of the state. Now I live in Oregon and still havent been down every street in my town.

Everyday I am looking for new locations. Whenever its raining or I'm not shooting then Ill just for drives to find something new. I dont like to shoot the same location multiple times, so for me scouting is a never ending job…

mnetv says:

I'd say there are a lot of attractive and good photo locations worldwide. Personally I really enjoyed shooting inside Antelope Canyon in Arizona.

Harkiran Uppal says:

Remarkable Rocks on Kangaroo Island, Southern Australia…the whole island is fab…

Sabi Sabi+the Hamiltons, Kruger National Park, South Africa

Six Senses, Koh Samui & Yao Noi, Thailand

Barefoot, Havelock Island, the Andaman+Nicobar Islands, India

Ken Cavanagh says:

Great idea! Would love to see this aggregated.

St. John, USVI has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world and about 60% of the island is off limits to development.

Closer to home, though certainly not unknown, probably one of the most photographed curving roads, is Hawks Nest Road running along the Delaware river on Rt 97 near Port Jervis, NY.

Flickr samples:

Chuqui says:

just back from yosemite. Few places that beautiful and dramatic:

Damien says:

There are a few great allies in cincinnati that really frame the subject well, 5th street being one of the best looking east from fountain square

Derek Griggs says:

Sax Zim Bog in northern Minnesota for winter bird photography. You find smaller song birds and up to great Grey Owls!

naturalvision-photo.com

renatotarga says:

Chapada Diamantina (a Brazilian National Park)
Lençóis, BA, Brazil

See the Flickr's most interesting photos for the tag "chapadadiamantina":

SirRodSpode says:

It's great at any time of day, but be up for sunrise, and Horseshoe Bay, Bermuda is absolutely stunning.

Anonymous says:

Would love to share location from all over the USA and Europe. To make it useful for anyone else additional information would be needed to access some of the locations, contact person to gain approval for the shoot,location fee and other elements that go into shooting on location. Do you want all this listed as well as who the location scout was in the first place.

Marquette, Michigan is great, specifically the trails on Presque Isle, the wooden water pipe off of Wright St, and any number of location on the shore of Lake Superior.

Heidi Rae says:

My heart lies in Seattle its the best place on earth and i can find so many new things to shoot everytime i go there .. so i have to say Seattle is by far the best place in the world to shoot

Marcus says:

South Island, New Zealand. Crazy mixture of environments and some wonderful light unaffected by the usual Northern Hemisphere artificial light pollution.

Chase says:

Memphis has some great areas other than "Beale Street".

Great industrial/warehouse areas, great river areas.

San Juan Island, WA. Whale Watch Park & South Beach. Also, Hood River Ore. Just to sound exotic like everyone else, I also loved Lake Como. ;)

Amy says:

Oh mannnn this is a tough one… I'm currently traveling through South America so my tendency towards gritty city has turned to luscious landscapes as of recent. Ilha Grande, Brasil is spectacular http://www.amyrollo.com/brookland/2010/01/13/ilha-grande-is-my-lover/

Also, not so accessible is my dear friend's farm about 2 hours outside of Rio http://www.amyrollo.com/brookland/2010/01/08/the-fancy-farm/

But all time favorite scenery has to be Le Cinque Terre, Italy http://www.flickr.com/photos/amyrollo/3184526489/in/set-72157612399561862/

Brandon says:

If you like cliff jumping near waterfalls into crystal clear pools, I know of a sweet spot outside of Seattle that very very few know… and it's 15 minutes away from great milkshakes.

Debra says:

The mountain stages of the Tour de France for great sports shots; color, mountain scenery, pain, effort, spectators; unbelievable!

Rick Lohre says:

Just completed several shoots in St. John – USVI
Great Lamesure Bay turned out to be a hidden little gem with a bit of character and even some ruins of an old sugar plantation.

I agree with 'Felix Features dispatches' and 'hansenfoto.no' As a northern european and scandinavian why go to New Zealand when Norway is right near by.

Rave says:

The beautiful city of Esfahan, Iran. It has more sites and locations than any in the world. It is really an amazing place to shoot culture, architecture and people.
Take a look below. I have quite a few more shots that I will be adding to the gallery soon.

Lewicka says:

I have three favorite locations:

first is in Poland in a place called Borne Sulinowo, which is abadoned town waking to live again, with a lot of mysteries.
and pics here:

second is just 10 minutes away from the place i Live in Oslo, and it is a nice (as for Norwegian standards) beach called Hvervenbukta:

third: is whole area around Sognefjord in Norway:

angela says:

Cuba – Havana, Trinidad
Morroco – Marrakech, Fes, Meknes

Simon says:

Loch Rannoch and Rannoch Moor in Scotland. Empty and desolate but absolutely beautiful. Also the north coast of Ireland is a fantastic coastal area – sandy beaches, crazy rocks and not too bad for surfing either!

Norway has some spectacular scenery, Naeroeyfjorden in Gudvangen, Lyngsalpene way up north, Svalbard even further north, skiing from mountaintops ending in on the beach. I´ll get back w more links if U want. Here are two: 1)http://www.visitnorway.com/us/Articles/Theme/Mountain-wilderness/Mountain-guide/Lyngsalpene/
2)http://www.visitnorway.com/us/sponsored/com/articles/Norway-in-a-nutshell-/

Hannah says:

Godrevy Beach in Cornwall (UK) and the forum in Rome.

Lillian Patz says:

any location ideas for an edmonton photographer in canada here?s

Lillian Patz says:

the alleys of vancouver.

Bram Vranckx says:

The fjords in Norway are a magnificent place to shoot! Some great views as wel as snow, rock formations and great water.

Nightwhisper says:

Sigillo, Italy, where I shoot this http://thedrjazz.deviantart.com/art/Umbria-23-Wheat-21428809

write me if you are going there, I'll gladly take some days from work to guide you!

DazMSmith says:

I'm a lover of the natural world, so all of these are wildlife or landscape orientated shoots.
The Okavango Delta (Botswana)
Namib Desert, Skeleton Coast (Namibia)
The Whale Trail, Otter Trail and many others (South Africa)
The Masai Mara, Amboseli, Serengeti and more (East Africa, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda and …)
Galapagos Islands
Antarctica
Cape Point, Cape Peninsula (Cape Town, South Africa)
The Wild Coast (South Africa)
Fish River Canyon (South Africa)
Kilimanjaro (Tanzania)
The Winelands (Boland, Western Cape, South Africa).
The Zambezi River (Zambia, Zimbabwe)

I could go on and on and on. The beauty of photography, is that it is less about the location itself, but about the experience at the time, where-ever that may be. Some of the greatest shots taken, have been in the most unprepossessing of places. But the emotion of the moment is the story.

Sergio says:

Great idea Chase!
A couple from me:
- the Menara gardens in Marrakech, by the artificial lake looking West towards the Atlas mountains
- the Beijing Opera House building from the edge of the pool. Any (wide) angle will do

examples here: http://www.sergioamiti.com

markus says:

northern norway was one of my favorite spots. especially lofoten and the other islands.

iceland is also really cool it´s like an other planet

tripleman says:

The Cinque Terre. Sea-side Italy is ridiculously beautiful.

jLorenzo says:

Tuscany, Italy my absolute favorite especially around June. Weather is perfect there are Hot Springs there that made a beautiful location shoot with models.

South Western Australia – best to be there when the flies are dead and gone. The outback is something to see especially the red dirt and skies in Kalgoolie, WA.

In San Diego, America Plaza trolley station has interesting geometry, and is a great place to shoot people too busy to worry about some nut with a camera.

Also in San Diego, Chicano Park has beautiful, intense murals about the area's Latino heritage.

Downtown Fallbrook, California, has small-town charm and great afternoon light less than an hour from San Diego.

In Northern California, Bridgeport has a lovely covered bridge over the South Yuba River. I always find something interesting there.

G says:

The back road vineyards in Paso Robles, CA.

alvin t says:

I've been compiling a list of photo
locations in the SF Bay Area for the
past few years along with images
for most locations on a Google
map:

K7FZO says:

My three favorite places have always ended up being literally out my backdoor.
Today: Alpine Lakes Wilderness surrounding the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie.
A few years ago: The Enchantment Lakes especially at dawn.
In another life: 7 years and 7200 images (Kodachrome 25) living on upper lake Chelan. (Lucerne, Holden & Stehekin)
Just can't beat where you live as being the best place in the world to photograph!

Ken Toney says:

Share the wealth is what I say. (a saying from a touring golf pro buddy of mine).

marcus says:

I had a similar idea of setting up a wiki-style site for people to post their favorite photo locations. This would be incredibly useful to pros and to the weekend warriors, like business people who find themselves traveling with evenings and/or weekends free to get out and shoot.

Ideally the information would need to be specific about location (not just Atlanta, but the abandoned paint factory off Howell Mill), access rights, public vs. private property, etc., and the best times of day/year to shoot there.

That said, here's one of my favorite places to shoot: N34° 44.85', W83° 28.84', Elevation 1856 ft. Best time to shoot is early spring, second best is autumn. It's always in deep shade, so you can shoot any time, if you want to photograph anything other than the landscape you'll want to bring some lights. It's in a national forest, so commercial shoots require special permits.

Byer_M says:

Anywhere in Nepal. The grittiness of Kathmandu, around the valley, Chitwan, The remote villages on the Annapurna circuit, and of course…the Himalayas. You just can't go wrong with Nepal.

Kaleb says:

Cabrillo National Monument in San Diego, love the views from there. Also, Three sisters is a group of 3 waterfalls (one on top of another), that can provide some amazing shooting opportunities. So many more in San Diego, but i'd start there.

Pol says:

Sherbrooke Forest, Melbourne, Australia

The Flinders Ranges in outback South Australia… awesome scenery, and lots of variation all within a relatively small area (by the rest of Australia's standards)

Valley of fire, Nevada
Great desert

flowergeek says:

Essaouira, Morocco: Very picturesque city on the coast. Old fishing port with small blue boats. Old fort. Many craft shops in old city with lots of color. Ocean, rocks.

I really love this idea if it can develop into a full blown resource database with maps etc.

SEIClimbing says:

The crags, streams, lakes, and mountains of Idaho

Panya C. says:

Okutama, Tokyo, Japan! Great scenery, with lake (actually it's a dam), and mountains. The best time would be during Autumn, in Tokyo it's around mid September to late November. If you can read Japanese try checking out the "Maple Info." in Yahoo-Japan or some other websites. Or, you can just ask me ;)

Scott says:

Great idea!

"King's Chair"
Kuranda, Far North Queensland, Australia

"Bora Bora"
French Polynesia

Regards,

Scott
Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Mark says:

When I was in my late teens I took a trip to Southern China (Yunnan province). While I was there, we took a terribly long bus ride to this special mountain. During the drive, we passed this area with these really cool erosion patterns. Being an aspiring photographer, I took a mental note of the location. After finally getting funding, and spending a lot of time researching where exactly we were when I saw this area, I was finally able to go back there a few months ago. I think that the shoot I did there is some of my best work.

So yeah, China's by far my favorite place to shoot, especially the south.

Fairy Chimneys in Goreme, Turkey
Ephesus, Turkey
Loch Ness, Scotland
Bergen, Norway
Hanging Lake, GlennSprings,Colorado

Jason says:

Gyeongju, South Korea has the most amazing assortment of cool historic sites in Korea! Not to mention cheap food!

Linda says:

The boardwalk and anywhere else in Atlantic City, anywhere, any time. A wide range of a cast of characters… old, new and bad architecture (Blame it on 'The Donald'), whales off The Pier on occasion (seen a humpback there myself) and dolphins… tucked away neibhorhoods such as the North Inlet, the South Inlet, Bungalow Park, the Marina District, Venice Park, Ducktown, Chelsea, and Chelsea Heights, and last but not least… a visit to the Irish Pub on St. James Street. And yes, there actually is a Marvin Gardens (in Ventnor)

Swiss Photographer says:

Wallingford Avenue, Seattle

Church Hill, Richmond

Logan, West Virginia

Cypress Pond, Ontario

leonjsy1 says:

Jersey (Original), Channel Islands. Not the New(Shitty)Jersey.

Lustu says:

Greetings from the Philippines ! So various places, from rice terraces in the far wild mountain, to paradise beaches and amazing diving spots in Palawan… So great smiling people too ! Guys, take your stuffs and come, you'll be amazed.

Manila will be your starting point :
Sunset over Manila
Smile, lesson of life

Cheers !

Andy M says:

Around the Stanley Dock area in Liverpool England.

Great area for gritty shots.

Some of the new Sherlock Holmes film was done there!

So who is writing this iphone app…?

A few years ago someone started up web site called Outdoor Photo Op where you could submit outdoor/nature locations and have them show up on a map for sharing. Was kinda cool, though not that helpful as I was the only person from Australia to submit locations. Anyway seems the site has shut down now but I've wondered if something like this would re-surface.

Now a location… How about Abbotsford convent in Collingwood, Melbourne, Australia. It's a great old building with lovely grounds that you can use for a whole bunch of different types of shots/settings.

Marc says:

Perast, Montenegro – the jewel of Kotor Bay and one of the most stunning examples of natural beauty I've ever seen.

Grandfather Mountain, North Carolina…
Campbell Hill, and all around Logan County, Ohio; (Bellefontaine, West Liberty)

1. Toronto, Ontario, Canada – great architectural structures, and lots of street events to shoot like the film festival, latin fest, buskers, caribana, fashion week, MMVA's etc.

2. St. Jacobs, Ontario, Canada – lots of culture at the Farmers' Market, Mennonite Farms, nature trails, tourism, etc.

3. Country of Panamá – town of Las Tablas, province of Los Santos for it's famous yearly Carnival; town of Portobelo, province of Colon for the ruins, the Caribbean Ocean and Islands, and the Congo Festival; town of Chorrera, province of Panamá for the annual town fair, and Easter Sunday celebration; Chiriqui mountains and rainforests; Bocas Del Toro & San Blas for the marine life, the locals and indigenous peoples; Panamá City for the architecture, the "diablo rojos", the city skyline view from the Pacific Ocean, Old City Ruins, European villas & Cathedral with golden alter, La Cinta Costera, the Cosway and Yacht Clubs, rainforests and eco-tourism, the famous Panama Canal, etc.

4. Grand River Trails in Waterloo Ontario, Canada, for the nature (and the golf). It's beautiful during all 4 seasons.

5. Algonquin Park, Ontario Canada – great camping, beautiful nature landscapes.

If you ever visit any of these places, I get to be a tour guide and practice as one of your Photography Assistants during that time. That's the deal! ;)

Ashvary says:

Nothing better the India as a shooting place for anything and everything..

David Shirk says:

Sloss Furnaces in Birmingham Alabama. An old steel mill that is now a "museum" – old, dirty, spectacular natural light. . .

After that, the crumbling sections of Detroit are spectacular. I would love a week to shoot there.

MacGyver says:

Here in Maui, Hawaii there are lots of different places to shoot, not just the typical beach or waterfall.

This was shot on the side of the road – it is the remains of a railroad bridge foundation.

There is another place in Kapalua called Dragon's Teeth that is a favorite of mine:

Jay Tolbert says:

The Alvord desert in SE Oregon. Remote, dry lake bed with the 9700 ft. Steens mountains bordering the west edge. The diversity of terrain in this region is amazing.

Anonymous says:

British Columbia, especially at stops if your taking a train through the mountains. :)

Anonymous says:

lofoten islands norway…surreal mountains rising out of the sea, tucked in little colorful villages, incredible sunsets above the arctic circle

Hunter W says:

New York, I think it is self explanatory.

Anonymous says:

Hello Chase, Nikonians dot org has an Iphone app along these lines, taken a step further you take a snap with your phone and then up-load the location.

Love the parks and lakes in north west louisiana, SW Ark; NE Texas

Robert

gcmandrake says:

Santa Fe, NM. Perfect lighting and subjects all year round. Christmas At The Plaze Nuff said.

Neil says:

Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake. Beautiful, rugged and undeveloped.

Casey Prout says:

Chase and crew this is a great idea, I will add more locations when I am sitting in front of my laptop and google earth. Though there is one location I can always remember and speak about, Paramount Ranch.

Btw this would be great fodder for a new iPhone
app. I keep a log of locations on google earth but they don't synch into my iPhone. I would love to have a portable list and a way to share locations.

Too many.. But the top 4 is:
1. Budapest, Castle of Buda – gorgeous and almost untouched district
2. Cliffs of Moher, Ireland – endless grass fields, beautiful countryside and giant cliffs
3. Botanic Garden, Sydney, Australia – if you have a look at any Sydney wedding photogs website, you will def see some shots from here. Perfect location!
4. Whitehaven Beach, Queensland, Great Barrier Reef, Australia – OMG! You've never seen as white and endless sandy beach and turquise water than what's there!

Brence says:

I have created an online collaborative map. Simply add a pin with a thumbnail image and/or link to useful information. This way we can create a global map that everyone can benifit from.

Here is the Map:
The BEST photo and video locations in the world

Nathan Petty says:

Shooting water image in the ocean has been a new found excitement again here in San Diego. A lot of amazing water imagery comes out of the cameras of guys in Hawaii and other cool locales in the world but shooting in the ocean period, and specifically waves, is really a blast for me.

A few to peruse – http://www.nathanpetty.com/#water-f487a

Nathan

Sandy Cay, British Virgin Islands

The Bathes, Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands

Nathan Smith says:

Salem Oregon is NOT the hot bed of photo activity but we do what we can. I've been "collecting" locations for awhile now, some are obvious and others not so much.

One of my FAVORITE places to shoot is an old car park downtown across from the convention center. I have had a strobist meetup there and also recently shot photos for a band there. You do need to call and get permission to shoot there but the owner of the property has been very nice and allowed it to be used on multiple occasions free of charge.

Here are some photos from the interior of the garage. They do not show a lot of the interior but you will get the general gist. Very dark areas with no natural light and areas that have big windows with loads of natural light.. and VERY BIG!

________________________________________________

Another location in Salem Oregon that is very fun to use the is the walking bridge between Salem and West Salem. It is an old train bridge that was converted to a walking/biking path and was only opened in the last year or so. Its a great location for portrait or scenic shots. It is over top of the Willamette River and has views of the paddle boat that is docked just an down the back.

Here are a couple photos to give you an idea of the location.

________________________________________________

Last but least is the Mt. Angel Abbey in St. benedict Oregon. This is a beautiful and fully functioning abbey. While it might be hard to do a "big" photo shoot of any sort here without gaining permission you can, more or less, have full access to almost the entire grounds and buildings for smaller stuff. There are of coarse some private and sacred locations that or off limits but there is more then enough to work with without the need of those locations. On a spring or fall day you will be treated to the cherry blossoms on the trees or the fall colors. There is architecture, scenics, interiors, and even monks that all add to the locations beauty.

Here are a couple photos to give you an idea of the location.

'There is no place like home' – Dorothy, Wizard of OZ.

Mark Elliott says:

Hi Chase,

The English Lake District. Lakes, mountains and 'chocolate box' villages.

My blog gives details of some of the best locations in the area.

Best wishes,

Mark

Laura says:

So many, many places. I loved the
>Peak District in the UK
. Our hiking day was drizzly and foggy, all moody – equal parts wuthering heights and american werewolf in london. The clouds lifted towards the end of the day and we were treated to a beautiful sunset.

Morocco was grand, from the medinas to the dunes.

Paterson, NJ offers great studies in urban decay.

Raymond says:

Beyoğlu, Istanbul

Or Kapalıçarşı (the Grand Bazaar) in Istanbul.

Teeming with people and colors and culture.

Carolina says:

There's a lot of really interesting graffiti a long the Caltrain tracks in the southern part of San Francisco.

Also, there are several small coves and beaches along highway 1 near the Russian Gulch State Park, CA. Really great around an hour before sunset.

topfloor says:

And Lomography.com has just published their first city guide (Vienna)
which is filed with pictures by Lomographers and theier comments, missions and tips.
Just a great example of community work for photographers by photographers :-)
I am in no way connected to the Lomography company etc., of course.
Greetings from Germany, Carsten

topfloor says:

Hey from a frequent traveler and streetshooter. I browsed through the comments and want to say that tips such as 'Cologne, Germany' are a joke. Not the whole town is a cool or special place, I'd love to see specific locations that I can google and go to, please.
Okay, now I want to contribute two infos. No 1 is the Lomography.com site that has a location finder (with more than 3000 locations in the system already) for photographers. The system is linked via Google.maps and everybody is welcome to contribute.

You can find this thing here
and an example here (Riverside of Cologne, one of 8 locations in the Cologne area
Each locations has several example pics.

No. 2 is one of my fav. locations in Kassel, The Drahtbruecke over the Fuldariver (runs between Auedamm and Sternstrasse). An example pic, shot by me can be seen here
and the next kilomter on the east side of the Fulda river is a great photowalk.

Great idea, Chase, and greetings from Germany,
Carsten

Well for me, underwater of course. Preferably warmer water but it's not a necessity. You get one lens at at time and need to make it sing so you have to think.
Janice

pete says:

St Peters Seminary Cardross Scotland. Brutalist architecture at its best reclaimed by nature, a modern day Angkor. Virtual tour here http://360degreessouth.com/virtualTours/CardrossQuicktimes/cardrossTour.html
Thanks for the constant source of inspiration and guidance.

Pieter Gatehouse

For nature, landscape and animal shots – Sweden!

To mention a more specific place, Nynashamn in Sweden offers archipelago shots like no other place..

David Kenna says:

One of my favorite locations, Dublin Bay…. by Moon Light especially…
Check it out:

David

Matt says:

Well, you're in Seattle, so these probably aren't anything new to you (Chase), but Pikes Place is fantastic for portraits or photojournalism. The market and surrounding streets and alleys are so "raw." I'd love check out the metro bus tunnel, too, for the lighting… Pretty much anything in that city is incredible in some way, to me at least.

Lights says:

A NH lake road in autumn

Coinneach says:

Chase,
I'm tempted to say Scotland but will narrow it down to one special spot.
Glencoe.

here's a shot from the weekend

I can also recommend Yellowstone although I've only seen it in winter – so far :)

Anonymous says:

This is a famous temple in Thailand.

Kavin J.

Dmitry says:

I love shooting on Coney Island in Brooklyn, in the winter. It's awesomely desolate – the boardwalk is empty, the beach feels wrong, and the rides/attractions are all closed. And the Russians are still fishing.

Moni says:

Jordan is amazing for desert landscapes. Wadi Rum was a film location for Lawrence of Arabia and Red Planet: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22935999@N05/4295881292/

The Dingle Peninsula, Ireland.

From the 1 lane mountain roads to the jagged but lush coastline to the fishing down of Dingle that brings you back a couple of decades, it's so picturesque that you actually don't want to pick up your camera, because you'd have to look away…

Lazerface says:

I love the rocky mountains, and have them at my back door luckily!

Banff National Park, Jasper National Park and Glacier National Park (all in Canada) have the most amazing mountains you'll ever see!

Also, the top of Whitefish mountain resort during an inversion. All the mountaintops just stick out of the clouds!

James says:

The Black Forest in Southern Germany, particularly the Höllental (Devil's valley) and Löffeltal between Freiburg and Hinterzarten http://flickerbrain.smugmug.com/Weather/Winter-Scenes/7085528_Gtt6X#454235612_cGXTA-A-LB

Like it! Would love to see this list as a possible mash-up between google maps and flickr thumbnails. An online location scouting source for anywhere in the world. I smell an iPhone app. Let's brainstorm this.

Chandi says:

Stehekin & Lucerne, Washington

Vladimir says:

Guatemala, we hava a lot of history, we have Tikal (maya city), we have Antigua Guatemala, Atitlan with one of the most beautiful lakes in the world, beatufil beaches both atlantic and pacific.
Contact me anytime you want to come!!

Its been awhile since I've traveled, so I would have to Fayetteville, WV at the New River Gorge Bridge area,Hawks Nest and Summersville Lake, also in WV, Very beautiful…You can see a few of these places in my portfolio..http://gallery.belle-immagini.com/

Kevin says:

Southern Utah, especially Moab. If you are into mountain biking, then you have surely heard about it. It is a seriously amazing place. The rock formations in many areas give you the feeling you have left planet earth and are exploring Mars with an atmosphere you can breathe.

Damien says:

As someone has said, New Zealand, but you would already know that Chase. Also the English countryside is amazing for landscape photos and all the old towns have awesome old architecture and castles

Paul Young says:

Durham City, England.

The Swiss Alps and Yellowstone!

Aaron says:

the Adirondacks of course. Ghost towns, Scenics, Old Cars, Funky Towns, Interesting people, and more. The source for 90% of my work.

Jason Covey says:

Kebbler Pass near Crested Butte, CO has the most amazing Aspen Forests and mountains.

John Jacobsen says:

Rocky Mountain National Park

Oregon Waterfalls

Any large metropolitan city at night.

John

Hugo Martinho says:

Victoria Falls

Debbi says:

Exotic places and national parks are pretty much a no-brainer, but the mountains of West Virginia in the fall are drop-dead beautiful.

William Beem says:

I've had a similar idea for a long time, but it was directed more toward a web service for photographers. People submit images of their favorite locations along with geotagged information so others can find it.

The idea was to have a community-created database of useful locations, and maybe some information on how to get there, particular features, etc.

As much as I like the idea, I don't have the time or resources to make it happen. It would be nice, though, to have a site where I could lookup potential shooting opportunities when I visit another town. I try to use Flickr for that right now, but it's not quite as useful as the one I'm imagining.

AnRb says:

there are some cool locations in this site where generally movie scenes and ads are shot. http://www.wherewasitshot.com

Gettle says:

Just out in Vail, Co. many great spots there. living in the Chicago suburbs Vail is like another planet.

pine3 says:

The Alps in Chamonix, France.
It's really an amazing place where I had the fortune to go on vacations and capture that amazing place in hundreds and hundreds of photos :)

B says:

Doesn't geotagging already pretty much cover this?

Anyway, for anyone who's in upstate New York, the Albany Central Warehouse is a sort of urbex wet dream, with some amazing opportunities on the roof.

filipfinger says:

Phillip Island with it's great coastline. especially in the very western part of the island next to "The Nobbies" there is a nice tectonic formation and heaps of seagulls on the green grass which appears like a huge pattern in the landscape.

Laurence says:

Goree Island, Senegal, West Africa. certain parts of this once horrific site of man's inhumanity to man have a serenity…

Parts of Nevis, West Indies.

filipfinger says:

awesome locations especially during dusk and dawn are along the Great Ocean Road in Australia.
great stone formations e. g. The Twelve Apostles and London Brigde. really nice small beaches and a great vegetation along the way. if you ever consider shooting there – just drive along and stop at every possible situation, there are so many interesting spots!

Steve M says:

Trunk Bay, St Johns in the US Virgin Islands during sunset

Alexander says:

In Stockholm up on Katarinahissen. It is a watchtower where you have a great overview of Stockholm. At night this place gives you the most amazing city light. Go there every time when I´m in Stockholm.

Kevin says:

Well, you already got mine. As I was reading the start of the post I started say "that looks a lot like home". Sure enough- Telluride. It's one of the most amazing places on the planet and an incredible place to shoot. Glad to live here. Glad to shoot here. You almost get spoiled by having this backdrop everyday.

How long are you in town Chase? I'd love to meet you and maybe grab a beer in town. I'm the Terrain Park Soup so I'll be in there and runnin' our new night park/pipe (which is great for shooting, by the way) so if you're on the hill swing by.
-Kevin

santahorst says:

Budapest and Cracow. Both very old cities with a rich and interesting cultural life where a lot of changing is happening right now.

James says:

Tanzania… I've never been anywhere quite as beautiful. I also love the Everglades.

ejpierle says:

My favorite places to shoot are on the Hana Coast of Maui. Waianapanapa, Kipahulu, Koki Beach — you could spend a lifetime on Maui with your camera and never shoot the same thing twice.

Joe says:

The Hill Country of Austin, TX hides the beautiful cratered waterfall of Hamilton Pool. You WILL get in the water with your gear, so plan ahead with drybags and comfy sandals.

Saurabh says:

My favourite location to take photograph is Phi-Phi Island, Thailand.

Jerome says:

I love shooting everywhere. I can't go anywhere and not see at least one place that might be good for some type of image. Time is the obstacle. There are millions of amazing photos to be made, everywhere. You must take the time and just do them. Shoot everywhere!

Jennifer says:

Route 542 or Mt. Baker Highway in WA State. A gorgeous 57 mile drive with fantastic spots along the way. Mt. Shuksan and Mt. Baker are popular to photograph but there are lots of other places along the way that are beautiful. I like shooting at Silver Lake Park and any little pull outs and towns going up the drive.

Other favs:
San Juan Islands
Oregon Coast
Hurricane Ridge/Olympic Peninsula WA
The Provence area in France
The old town in Tallinn, Estonia

Rasho says:

The best I can think off when it comes to little known but great locations is Bunkyo Civic Center bldg. in my not-for-long city of Tokyo. Great view of Shinjuku skyline, open 9-20h, works on weekends, FREE, slanted windows to minimize reflections, neutrally gray-painted ceilings, low crowds…did I say FREE?

Made for photography. Downside – no big tripods allowed, although you can easily get away with a gorillapod or desk-tripod.

Other place I would recommend is e-Link bldg in Ichikawa, almost 360view of Tokyo, Chiba, Yokohama, Ibaraki…

If you visit in winter months, chances are you'll get the mt. Fuji as the backdrop.

Red says:

some of my favorites are the beautiful red rock of Sedona Arizona … the Grand Canyon N.Rim and Moab Utah … and the southern half of the Baja La Paz, Cabo ect.

its a great Idea tho to get a public list of great locations

Nate says:

West Coast Trail…

Paula says:

El Nido in Palawan Island, The Philippines

Joshua says:

Goma, Congo. Beautiful People too much beauty to be found in the midst of volcanic rock.

Jeremiah says:

The French Quarter, New Orleans
amazing!

Erebus says:

Niagara River (about an hour from Toronto) at sunrise. Near driveway #57. Could shoot an entire book there on one morning (although the market for said book might be small haha)

Jacob says:

Wineglass Bay and the Freycinet Peninsula in Tasmania, Australia!

Ray says:

Ft. Casey, Washington.
Besides Ireland, it's my favorite place in the whole world…. (one of these days I'll make it to Ireland)

Asa Schultz says:

Goshen Pass, VA. An amazing mountain pass just north of Lexington, VA

Jobi Manson says:

This is a fantastic idea. Chase you really are a visionary. I love your creativity.

gansbaai, south africa– great white shark diving.

Danny Pack says:

Paris catacombs (not the tour), huge underground network of tunnels and rooms now primarily inhabited by artists:

Various tunnels under London:

Bringsverd says:

Norway! And perhaps especially northern Norway. Varied landscape of lakes, mountains, fjords and snow. Also in summer it is 24 hours with the sun on clear days, and in the winter we have "northern lights".

Do some googlin'/flickrn', and you'll understand.

Jason Tracy says:

Hey Chase,

What do you think about taking this great idea a step further?

I skimmed through the comments and a lot of folks included links to Flickr images and Goggle Maps. Why not create a free account at Flickr dedicated to documenting great locations with GPS tagged iphone photos?

Flickr has that great option of displaying a map of all GPS tagged photos in a set, so it would be really easy. A free account would allow a total of 250 images to be added.

I'm sure you're busy, so I can do it if everyone is interested. What does everybody think?

bikerphoto says:

The New River Gorge in West Virginia.

Chris says:

Hey Chase!

I've always been looking for such a collection of locations, wonderful idea!
Just a thought: It would be really helpful to build some kind of infrastructure for this whole thing in order to offer a good overview/navigation through the collection of places.

Johan says:

Taipei City, especially Chang Kai Shek Memorial.

Here:

Paul says:

I think the ivory tower still stands on a regional level in some places and that's a shame. In my area the pros that are established have their group and do their thing and it's tough to break into those ranks.

My favorite places to shoot are at Mentor Headlands Beach in Ohio, the paths of Holden Arboretum and any of the alleys in Cleveland.

hevrond says:

Mt. McKinley, Alaska…bar none

Gerry Coe says:

Valencia in Spain, the new Science and Arts centre, going there in 10 days time. Also Granada especially La Alhambra (without all the tourists!!!)

Andrew S says:

Maligne Lake in Jasper tops my list.

Definitely shoot in Carbon Market in Cebu, Philippines. It's the best market I've seen in Asia for shooting images:
(and that's after visiting or living in Vietnam, Laos, China, Macau, Cambodia, Hong Kong, not to mention markets in Mexico)
I have more, but that's the only one I'd actually suggest someone shell out cash for a plane ticket to photograph.

:-)

Michal

Exotic: Chor Bazzar in Bombay, India. Shot so much I got "Canon elbow". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chor_Bazaar)

Local: Route 130 near my home in Central New Jersey. I drive it everyday and still find it interesting. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_130)

Tom McKean says:

My favorite place I love to photograph is right around the corner from me. Binky Lee Park right here in Chester County, PA.

Turtleshark says:

Route I-80 Nebraska to Wyoming

Lush farmland to barren Mountain views. Visually the best roadtrip this Floridian has experienced.

Bora Bora French Polynesia

If your vision of heaven is tropical than it would be hard to beat Bora Bora. The water glows blue green and the zen just finds you.

Oltrepò Pavese – Italy

I would have to say my favorite place is my home state of New Mexico.

Where ever you are in the state you can drive an hour or two in any direction and be in a completely different environment. From mountains that are over 13,000 ft to white sand deserts to lava flows.

PhotoJim says:

I've lived out west and photographed many of the National Parks as well as scenic areas in the southeastern U.S., but for me there's nothing like the subtle, intimate natural beauty of the Hocking Hills of southeastern Ohio. It's where I first discovered my love for nature photography as a teenager in 1980 and has become the home of my creative spirit.

Chris Peters says:

There are many historic towns in Central New York State, Skaneateles, Jordan, Elbridge, Weedsport are closest to me, but there are Geneva, Waterloo, Seneca (think Bedford Falls of "It's a Wonderful Life), Rochester, and many others. We have an abundance of waterfalls, from little known gems: Tinker's Falls, Carpenter's Falls to well traveled and photographed: Ithaca, High Falls in Rochester, Watkins Glen (NASCAR fame) and more.

Mark says:

There are lots of wonderful locations down here in Europe.
My favourite is Prague in Czech Republic – wonderful city for wonderful pictures. Great for reportage, fashion, people, street, urban…

Nate says:

I thought quite hard about this and the more I thought about it the more I realized that there is beauty in every location imagineable. You just have to know how to find it/exploit it/photograph it.

That said, there are many hidden gems in the state of Massachusetts. In my hometown of Ware, MA, there is an old bridge on East Street that crosses the Ware River and makes for a spectacular edgy/broken down/depressing type of shot.

Another place you might be interested in, Chase, is Quabbin Reservoir in Central Massachusetts. They filmed a BMW commercial there a few years back and it is a massive attraction for amateur and professional photographers in the area. It's certainly not secret, but worth checking out.

Also the backfields of Hadley and Amherst MA produce endless opportunities for minimalistic but powerful compositions. This is such a great topic to discuss. I could go on and on and on about it. Perhaps we should create a Google Map ?

My personal best was The great wall near by Beijing.

Kelvin says:

Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco, CA. Somewhere like this or this

just about anywhere on the New Zealand South Island – absolutely gorgeous

Matthew says:

There are plenty of places around the world that I'm familiar with, but I'll only suggest places I've actually been. I'd say, hands down, Yosemite. I was there recently, and could barely take three steps before stopping (again) in awe of the sites.

Northern Scotland is great, too.

For cityscapes, San Francisco, London, Edinborough, Chicago and New York. I'd also have to give a nod to my adopted-hometown of Washington, DC (area) there is a great mix of current and historical things to photograph and/or use as a backdrop. However, I've found that some of the best memories of shooting were in small towns and remote villages.

FlyingSig says:

Petra , Jordan

Gerhart Machinery
910 Brunnerville Road
Lititz PA, 17543

All sorts of old rusting cranes, dump trucks, and mining equipment sitting outside in a junkyard.

It might not be my favorite place to shoot in the whole world, but you can easily spend 1/2 a day there and still go back next week and find something new or interesting.

paris and dubrovnik

Lilian says:

Any authentic Asian markets that have not been rebuilt to be "better", especially at its peak in the morning/late night.

linguizic says:

The Sunol Regional Wilderness, which is about 30 minutes south east of Oakland, CA. Probably the best park in the East San Francisco Bay Area by far.

Anywhere on the island of Kauai, but specifically PoiPu Beach, Shipwreck Beach, Secret Beach, Kiahuna Beach, Polihale Beach and Pihea Trail at Koke'e State Park.

Pamela Swan says:

Do I detect an upcoming book titled "The best photo location is the place you're at?"

I've heard that Budapest is lovely…

MTaylor says:

the top floor of the King Edward hotel in Toronto.
It's an abandoned ballroom with various other highly interesting, some creepy, rooms.
You can also access the roof to view the city.

The most beautiful beach I've ever seen is Whitehaven Beach, in the Whitsunday Islands in Australia. The sand bars give this place an extraordinary feeling. You have to treck through the rainforrest for about 15 minutes or so to get to this vintage point, but it's worth it.

Yellowstone – anytime other than summer…

Tim says:

Any of the hillside neighborhoods in my hometown of Pittsburgh PA

Joshua Tree National Park

About a half mile on the Tokapah Falls Trail from Lodgepoll Campground in Sequoia National Park this a steep bank that leads down to the river. For a few minutes during the sunset the river lights up with gold/orange from the mountain reflection. It is very easy to miss and I only noticed the light by accident. I certainly did not do this its photographic justice but here is my attempt: http://www.flickr.com/photos/drprickett/3773462106/in/set-72157621038924474/

vlatkojk says:

Berlin. The one in Germany, of course. :)

Istanbul.

Some little wild places here in Croatia, but with taking care to visit them in different seasons.

loving this concept of sharing locations! 2 of my favorites are Ft. Desoto Beach in St. Pete Florida and the West Bottoms in Kansas City.

Gregory says:

I'm from Providence, RI and our city is small but great. There's a lot of old character in the building and down the alleys. I'm working on a project right now that demands these sort of gritty locations. So here's a few:

Off Valley Street in Providence in the abandoned "Eastern Butcher Block" warehouse.

Off Allens Ave. down near the animal shelter there's a set of extinct railroad tracks and an old junkyard that looks like a school bus cemetery.

I've shot portraits and bands at these locations as well, lots of possibilities.

The Island Terceira and São Jorge, Azores Archipelago :D

Cologne(Köln), Germany
Venice, Italy
Yucatan, Mexico
Sinharaja Rain Forest, Sri Lanka
Ancient cities (Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa), Sri lanka
Anchorage, Alaska

Some selected pics

Probably Yellowstone National Park!

Anywhere where the sea meets the sky or the water meets the sky is bound to look beautiful. Old cities offer lots of surprises. Asia has colours galore.

Nick Jordan says:

In St. Louis, MO.

Union Station, great architecture and many different way to shoot it.

The Butterfly House (In Chesterfield, a suburb of St. Louis). Great place to pull out the macro lens. Be careful though, warm and humid in there, keep that in mind so you don't fog up!

Nick Jordan

Baltimore, MD. It's much more than "The wire"

Andrew Nagl says:

The Austrian Alps. Lush green in the summer, pristine white in the winter. Wonderful people, food and culture.

Ricardo says:

The island of Sao Miguel, Azores :)

Felipe says:

Positano, Italy is my favorite!

Felipe Buccianti