A Conversation on Planning (and Inspiration).

I feel compelled to share with you my latest documentary short film in the series I’ve been commissioned to create for Russell Investments. This particular piece is about planning–a topic that bridges my client to the rest of the world’s day to day endeavors–but it might as well be about inspiration. That’s the primary reason I want to share it here… Not for the commercial message, but because Helen Thayer is one of the most inspiring people I’ve ever met.

She began climbing mountains in New Zealand with Sir Edmund Hillary (first man to summit Everest) at age 9. She solo walked to the north pole at age 50. She has walked thousands of miles across numerous deserts, most notably the Gobi Desert in China, when she was 60 . She has walked across Antarctica. She has lived with wolves in the Yukon for a year. She was a national champion in track & field and luge. She has represented 3 countries in international competition. It came up rather casually that she’s summitted Mt. Rainier more than 20 times. And she most recently celebrated her 70th birthday by kayaking the Amazon River. Oh, and she’s really coming into her own now as a National Geographic photographer. She’s 72 now and she’s showing no signs of any real slowing down.

You’ll see a few shots in the video of her snowshoeing along a snow-capped ridge. I’m buzzing over her shooting out of the helicopter. Immediately following the shots you see, a storm blew in and we had to land and pluck her from the ridge. I’ll never forget this brief moment… we set the chopper down atop the peak…”We gotta get out of here,” I belted under the roar of the rotors. I explained that we were in an emergency situation an that we needed to get out of there immediately. She gave me a wink, and asked if I could leave her up there and come pick her up in a few days time after she’d had some time to look around a bit more. She said to me, as serious as a heart attack, “I’ve got plenty of food and water and I quite like it up here…” I’ll never forget it.

[See the first two documentary shorts I created for the project here. And the 'making of' video which features the RED one camera and Nikon D3s camera here.]

55 Responses to A Conversation on Planning (and Inspiration).

1. Mark April 14, 2010 at 10:27 am #

This is awesome. Thanks for sharing, Chase.

2. David April 14, 2010 at 10:32 am #

thank you, Sir Chase!

3. antwerpenR April 14, 2010 at 10:33 am #

Thanks for sharing – inspirational and thought provoking – R

4. Joshua April 14, 2010 at 10:34 am #

This is the best one yet – in my opinion.
    I love the black and white (great for the snow scenes) and the quasi-slow-motion feel you used for the voice overs. I think that gave it a very nice methodical, well-though out feeling to the overall piece that reflects the subject matter very well.

It’s people like Helen that show us all that there really are far fewer limits to ourselves than we think.

Great job, and thanks for sharing this one!

~Joshua

5. Dan April 14, 2010 at 10:35 am #

Very cool..

6. Adam April 14, 2010 at 10:38 am #

Thanks Chase – great inspiration for a Wednesday at the office. Helen reminds me of my grandmother who turns 90 in June and hasn’t stopped. Great as always.

7. David April 14, 2010 at 10:41 am #

Man, I feel like a lazy sack of crap compared to that woman.

Even her Mom at 91 looks ready to crush out an expedition.

8. Gerry Kong April 14, 2010 at 10:42 am #

thanks Chase for the sharing. Really inspiring!

9. Jeff Caven April 14, 2010 at 10:45 am #

Excellent work Chase. Inspiring. Helen Thayer is an amazing woman, Thanks for sharing! Cheers.

10. Mike Curry April 14, 2010 at 10:49 am #

Woah….. Incredible and inspiring!

Mike

11. Anonymous April 14, 2010 at 10:57 am #

Great, very nice. Thanks for saharing. Lucas _From Argentina

12. gregorylent April 14, 2010 at 11:02 am #

turns hokey with the “planning” talk .. could have done that with a lighter hand ..

13. William J. Ingalls April 14, 2010 at 11:17 am #

Wow. Chase you’ve topped the series by far. Thank you so much for letting the world here these peoples stories. The technical aspects of this piece are jaw dropping, as usual, but the story telling really drove it home this time, more then others. Yet another Amazing gift you have given us.

Best,

Will

14. Krystal Kerr April 14, 2010 at 11:43 am #

Wow, what an amazing and inspiring woman!

15. Jill Rosell April 14, 2010 at 11:59 am #

Thanks for sharing Chase. I am actually a Kiwi myself living in Bend, Oregon. I did not know of Helen till now. They say life begins at 40 but I guess I could change that till later now!
    I enjoyed watching your podcasts of your photo shoot in NZ.
    Keep sharing.

thx
    Jill

16. Howard J April 14, 2010 at 12:14 pm #

Great video Chase! Love Helen Thayer, she’s so interesting and inspiring. This past January she visited Utah and gave a lecture that was broadcast on a local NPR station talking about her Polar trek, it’s free to download the entire audio recording here: http://kcpw.org/blog/local-news/2010-01-20/global-trekker-helen-thayer-opens-2010-nature-of-things-lecture-series/

17. Rick J Bradbury April 14, 2010 at 12:20 pm #

Brilliant,, what a amazing woman. 72 years of age,,, and no sign of giving up. Just awe inspiring.

Very well put together Chase.

Rick

18. Eric April 14, 2010 at 12:23 pm #

Great video, Helen Thayer is an inspiration for all.

19. Anonymous April 14, 2010 at 12:33 pm #

THIS was so wonderful – And I LOVE the one on glassblowing because I can relate! Beautiful work!

20. Eric Naslund April 14, 2010 at 1:00 pm #

Really nice work, guys! Good emotional content and heart-felt, true message. Russell Investments should continue to thank you for such great work. Love to see a BTS, but if not in the cards, no worries.

Thanks again, Chase, for continuing to inspire!

Eric

21. Brian Carey April 14, 2010 at 1:43 pm #

Just lovely!

22. Jason April 14, 2010 at 2:23 pm #

How profound that most of us in our complacency fail to see life as something to be lived, not to be a spectator. I for one have been moved by Helen’s story, and I applaud Chase and his team for bringing it artfully to our attention. I am deeply humbled and plan to “never retire from life”. Thank you Chase.

23. Wayne April 14, 2010 at 3:06 pm #

Thanks for sharing this – further inspiration to overcome the tyranny of “or”!!

24. sarah April 14, 2010 at 3:10 pm #

wow. nicely done.

25. Jack Pope April 14, 2010 at 3:42 pm #

Awesome! I love the shots with the animals- both feeding and walking.
    Just realized you switched to wordpress and remembered Dartanyon’s “did you notice” tweet… Now I get it

26. Styrmir Kári April 14, 2010 at 4:13 pm #

Wow… amazing woman and an amazing video Chase!

Thanks for sharing!

27. Dan April 14, 2010 at 7:14 pm #

I’m not sure about some of it to be honest. Perhaps I need to see it in context to the broader group of films to come (I assume its a series). I dont think its a hugely effective piece of communication (in terms of its commercial purpose).

The cinematography is perfect (with the exception of the shot where you ‘split lit’ her face -not something I would choose to do to a woman in her 70s). I guess my main beef is ultimately with the directing (possibly the piece is a bit too long and there is no ‘progression’ of pace in the underlying message.

I think the selection of the musical score is the weakest element here. Obviously this concept has been done many times before (concepts of financial wealth creation related to real life) therefor the bar is set quite high.

If it were me I’d cut it to 3 minutes tops and re work the music score (something with more direction (yet still maintaining that timeless/traditional/elegant feel you wish to convey).

You also need to convey more emotion. Its important for consumers to see laughter and enjoyment (even when you are communicating such dull concepts as theories of financial instruments).

Overall though its still high class work and impressive visually. You need to be brutal though in your analysis to ensure it is effective communication. The key points I would contest at this point in time would be the length of the piece and the music score. Good luck with the project.

• Russell Harrison June 10, 2010 at 8:36 pm #

I can see why Dan may have found it a bit long. It comes in in between that three and ten minute mark which is hard for the “average” viewer to hold onto. More a problem with the American attention span than anything else.

Personally, I found myself so captivated by how visually striking every shot was and how inspirational she is I was left wanting more. I loved it and wish you’d been financed to expand this into a full mini documentary.

28. Joseph from Pittsburgh April 14, 2010 at 7:17 pm #

Incredible! It was great to put a face to the woman I remember listening to in a Rick Steve podcast interview. I really enjoyed the video; especially the black and white, and how the story went very well with the visual editing. Nice work Chase!

29. Greg April 14, 2010 at 11:02 pm #

Really inspring… It reminds me of an inspiring Mallory & Irvine tribute vid. (They climbed Everest in 1924) check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y0dRYjH7fE

30. Emma April 15, 2010 at 1:25 am #

Thanks Chase.
    My dad died just 2 weeks ago, its been tough, but listening/watching Helen has really helped me. A beautiful film thank you.

31. Howard Haby April 15, 2010 at 5:23 am #

Wow. That was great. Very inspirational. Beautiful video.

32. Dov April 15, 2010 at 6:29 am #

Cool!!!! Let’s some great behind the scene footage!!

33. Anthony Bellemare April 15, 2010 at 6:45 am #

Thank you Chase for this post. I can see why you are inspired by Helen. Her planning, approach and ability to think through problems has allowed her to minimize risk and push the limits of what is possible in her own life. A lesson we can all learn as human beings and photographers.

34. GRADY LAYMAN April 15, 2010 at 7:50 am #

Well done Chase,
    I really like how rich the b/w looks. How did you end up working with Russell, or any large company for that matter? Are you still out knocking on doors or do they just come to you?

Thanks,
    Grady

35. Larry April 15, 2010 at 8:32 am #

As an old guy hitting 50 this year, this is an important and motivating post. Thanks for bringing Helen to the attention of your readers.

36. Alexandra April 16, 2010 at 2:19 am #

Loving this post :) Very inspiring.

37. Joe Federer April 16, 2010 at 11:42 am #

Great work – well ‘planned’ to every detail, it seems. Thanks for sharing.

38. Michael Nguyen April 17, 2010 at 1:16 am #

” A problem is only a problem until it’s solved! ”

Loved that!!!!

39. Chase April 17, 2010 at 8:23 am #

@grady: it’s simply called inertia… ;)

40. Ajani April 17, 2010 at 9:23 am #

Once again.. impressive and inspiring work.

Well done.

41. Todd April 17, 2010 at 12:24 pm #

Just had my first big break with a branding firm. They want to do a “talking head” segment, much like what you’ve done here. Less personal story and more financial stability talk. 3 minutes max per person. I am scrambling to put together a bid to account for all the unknowns and equipment I need for video. I will use either a pair of D300s or D3s. Sound is just as important as well, so I am having to cover the bases on mic equipment too.

A super long reach, but are there any quick bullet points/lessons learned that you would expound as critical information that you’ve learned and thought were vital when dealing with the video side of things? Whatever tidbits would be amazing.

Thanks,

Todd

42. Omer Faragi April 18, 2010 at 3:29 pm #

Always great to see people who can see their own goals and targets crystal clear!!
    thanks for sharing Chase :)

43. Richard April 19, 2010 at 10:20 pm #

Thank you Chase – this helped me allot – more than you can imagine. This has given me a new meaning to life and would enjoy meeting her some day. Not to put to fine a point on it, but you have helped me too with photography. Thanks to both of you. Regards, Richard

44. Anthony April 19, 2010 at 11:26 pm #

As many others have said, thanks for sharing this. Have already re-shared it with my own mother who is in need of a little inspiration like this. Cheers.

45. MCJ April 21, 2010 at 6:39 pm #

This is one of your best short films yet. I loved the detail in the closeup shots, especially the one toward the end with feeding the llama. Excellent job, Chase. And thank you for sharing it with us. Cheers.

46. Game Critic April 22, 2010 at 6:46 am #

The beginning is just breath taking and this women really inspires me.

47. karl bratby April 23, 2010 at 5:17 am #

inspirational stuff…

48. tony s May 10, 2010 at 8:34 am #

i glad i saw that.

49. Persönlichkeitstest January 17, 2012 at 2:37 pm #

Something else is that when you are evaluating a good internet electronics retail outlet, look for online shops that are constantly updated, trying to keep up-to-date with the most current products, the best deals, as well as helpful information on goods and services. This will make certain you are dealing with a shop that really stays atop the competition and offers you what you should need to make intelligent, well-informed electronics expenditures. Thanks for the significant tips I’ve learned from your blog.

50. Everette Appana January 3, 2013 at 7:34 am #

Excellent blog! Solve you have some suggestions for aspiring writers? I’m hoping to start my own website presently on the contrary I’m a insufficiently deep in thought resting on the whole lot. Would you recommend preparatory with a emancipated platform like WordPress or go for a salaried option? Near are accordingly scores of options out at hand that I’m perfectly baffled .. Any tips? Appreciate it!

51. Harris Newsted January 4, 2013 at 3:08 pm #

I ran athwart this information earlier at present period in the office. Same useful. Sent the url to myself and will almost of course bookmark it after I get home.

52. Marlin Tischner January 5, 2013 at 12:02 pm #

Thanks used for your write-up. I would like to opinion that the vastly formerly thing you will necessary to accomplish is check rider you especially necessary repairing credit. To perform that you need to get your hands on a duplicate of your credit file. That should not ensue tiring, taking into account that the government necessitates that you are allowed to receive one nix expense copy of your identifiable honor details all year. You just have to ensure with the acceptably men and women. You can either browse the website with the Centralized Trade Charge or else perhaps drop a line to one of the major thanks agencies directly.

1. Helen Thayer, a living ledgend. | excitations - April 14, 2010

[...] View the Helen Thayer video here. [...]

2. A conversation on planning | Luca Sartoni - January 11, 2011

[...] cool video produced by Russell Investments, filmed by Jeff Jarvis, featuring Helen Thayer. [...]