This Wednesday – Copyright and the New Economy

chase jarvis - copyright is complexI want my work to be protected and used only when I want and how I want. But I also want it to be consumable in the new media. Confused like the rest of us?

If you make art for a living or are interested in the rapidly evolving rights for people who create stuff–and especially if you live in/around NYC–then point yourself at this FREE day-long symposium brought to you by the fine folks at ASMP. It’s on WEDNESDAY of this week. I’ll be presenting, talking about my personal experiences in the legal system as well as with the new media. But perhaps certainly more useful, there will be a panel and I’ll be lucky enough to be seated alongside the esteemed Harvard Law professor/founder of the Creative Commons, Lawrence Lessig, plus a whole bunch of other talented and smart people above my pay grade and moral standing.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010. TimesCenter, 242 West 41st St. New York, NY 10018

It’s FREE. Register here to attend. Schedule details and a list of my co-panelists after the jump

Morning Session – 9:30 AM to noon
9:00 am Doors open
9:30 am Welcome — Eugene Mopsik, ASMP Executive Director
9:45 am- 10:30 am Overview of Copyright Law — Victor Perlman, ASMP General Counsel
10:45 am – 11:30 am Storytelling in the Digital Age — Brian Storm, President of Media Storm

Lunch Break

Afternoon Session – 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM.
1:00 pm Introductory Remarks — Richard Kelly, ASMP President
1:15 pm- 4:00 pm Panel on Issues & Trends — Jay Kinghorn, photographer & Moderator; with Panelists Lawrence Lessig, Harvard Law School Professor & Founder, Creative Commons; Jeff Sedlik, Founder & CEO of the PLUS Coalition; Chase Jarvis, photographer; David Carson, U.S. Copyright Office General Counsel; Liz Ordoñez, photographer; and Darrell Perry, former Director of Photography, Wall Street Journal.

26 Responses to This Wednesday – Copyright and the New Economy

1. Jim Goldstein April 19, 2010 at 9:57 pm #

I hope the “revolution” is televised… or at least recorded for later viewing online. Glad you’re getting the chance to finally cross paths with Lawrence Lessig. This is one panel discussion I regret not being able to attend in person.

• Anonymous April 20, 2010 at 5:24 am #

I would like to watch it too. :)

2. Miranda Eubanks April 19, 2010 at 9:59 pm #

I hope ASMP will record this and post it like they’ve done with their last two conferences! I’d love to see it, but I live in Washington.

3. Donovan Williams April 19, 2010 at 10:03 pm #

I’m glad to hear about this! Photographers need more rights as creatives. Hope to learn a lot from this!

• Jim Newberry May 18, 2010 at 3:06 pm #

You can have all the usage rights you want–that’s up to you when you negotiate for the job. The problem is there are too many photographers and not enough work, plus a sour economy and ailing print media. So it’s difficult to get work unless you take less pay or less rights or both. Supply and demand…

4. William James Ingalls April 19, 2010 at 10:07 pm #

Ahh Man! Stuck in Buffalo on a movie set for this, oh well! Audio or video recording?

Thanks for posting this Chase!

Best,

Will

5. Becka April 19, 2010 at 11:10 pm #

Wish I wasn’t in Florida. Since it’s free will there be an audio download or something available after? This info is invaluable!

6. Christopher Guess April 20, 2010 at 12:15 am #

Is a video of the panel and your speech going to be posted online? It would be very appreciated by us young photographers that can’t quite afford ASMP memberships.

7. Game Critic April 20, 2010 at 1:23 am #

Please post this online on youtube or vimeo? I won’t be able to make it on Wednesday.

8. Michal Fanta April 20, 2010 at 5:27 am #

I live in Europe and it is kinda difficult to get there but watching it online would be helpful.

9. Steve Munoz April 20, 2010 at 6:54 am #

I hope there will be a video recording of this for later, or at least audio. Will it be streamed live, or hosted later?

Thanks

10. douwe April 20, 2010 at 8:40 am #

great! sound exiting

as much as i love to make a trip to NYC… it gonna happen.
    but i hoping for a recording for us europeans ;) that would be super

11. Michelle @CVImages April 20, 2010 at 9:08 am #

I’m willing, but not able, to be there! Like others, I too hope that this will be available to watch and/or listen to later. Thanks again, Chase, for all you do! (I’m loving creativelive.com!)

12. Jack Pope April 20, 2010 at 3:21 pm #

Doesn’t look like my parents will let me venture into the city alone- Maybe next time!

13. Will Austin April 20, 2010 at 4:27 pm #

“above my pay grade and moral standing” Ha- love your sense of humor Chase!

Wish I could be there, go get em’ mate!

14. Rick Lewis April 20, 2010 at 5:59 pm #

We really need to take a serious look at this issue! I’m Glad ASMP is taking the lead on this. Thanks Chase.

15. Aimee Greeblemonkey April 20, 2010 at 8:42 pm #

Oh I so wish I could go.

And holy crap you moved to WordPress. Was it painful? I am still on Blogger (did the stupid migration and everything) and seriously considering jumping ship.

P.S. THANK YOU for the book. We need to discuss an image in there – of the AMC tower, which you call Acme Tower. Was that shot in Denver?

• Chase April 20, 2010 at 10:03 pm #

chat up my digi guru @dartanyon. he made it all happen seamlessly. i couldn’t be happier! been a long time comin’…

16. Game Critic April 22, 2010 at 2:11 am #

WordPress>>>>Blogger

17. Wholesale April 22, 2010 at 2:28 am #

I’ve been to China travel, in my opinion chinese people are very freidly, and i especially like the city of beijingshenzhen, i have a friend from china, i ike her blog discount china, now she is in Jewish, just now, she send me a Jewish Directory website, i think the it is very useful.

18. Chris May 5, 2010 at 2:41 pm #

I’ve been selling stock photos for several years now and about a year ago began studying arguments against intellectual property, and my eyes were pretty much torn open. You should really listen to this audio book (its free!). It’s really helped me understand something rather simple: you can only reliably sell the things you can reliably control – and “intellectual property” just isn’t one of those things. It’s time for creative individuals to start thinking differently.

“Against Intellectual Property”:

• Jim Newberry May 18, 2010 at 3:12 pm #

Yeah, remember how music labels reacted when the iPod was first released? Of course you don’t want to totally cave and give everything away, but on the other hand if you don’t adapt to change you’ll screw yourself.

19. restaurant City December 27, 2010 at 12:55 am #

A neighbour of mine told me to check out your blog three weeks ago, since both of us enjoy the same things (yeah we’re close friends, clone heads, been 24 years) and I seriously got to say that Im majorly impressed. Me and my friend were actually considering to launch an identical website just like yours, however, we had some struggles. 1st, neither of us both is a technology-savvy individual, 2ndly, we don’t really know where to start…. I know alot of people managed to get their dot coms on the web just recently (due to cheap prices, and so on) but we are still having difficulties. I would really appreciate it if you recommend to us a place to begin from, because we don’t have a clue L0L. Indeed it sucks being 33 year old internet literates… or should I say dot com literates?

20. Sandie Huggett November 22, 2012 at 3:02 am #

Always good to find something new and interesting to learn from. Great website you’ve got here.

21. Cory Mio January 4, 2013 at 2:08 pm #

An fascinating chat is value analysis. I consider that you should enter more on this topic, it might not live a inviolable focus except typically those are not ample to speak taking place such topics. To the next. Cheers

22. Sprinkler Start Up Highlands Ranch CO March 20, 2014 at 5:18 pm #

I will immediately clutch your rss as I can not find your email subscription hyperlink
    or newsletter service. Do you have any? Please permit me recognize so
    that I may subscribe. Thanks.