FREE LIVE Event: HDDSLR Cinema with Vincent Laforet

chase jarvis blog_vincent laforet classHey hey. Reminder that over at creativeLIVE.com, we’re bringing in my good buddy Vincent Laforet for a FREE all-weekend-long workshop about making videos with the new breed of HDdSLR cameras.

[update: we're LIVE now! check it out. And... you spoke, we listened. For those who couldn't catch it, every night there is a full FREE playback starting 8pm Seattle TIME (gmt -8)...still pay to download if you wanna keep it...]

Starting tomorrow, from 9am to 6pm on Friday, Saturday and Sunday (yes that’s THIS weekend, all day long, all weekend long) Vince will be delivering a firehose of instruction that will help you + any first-time filmmakers and photographers making the transition into video understand the core building blocks necessary to make their first videos and short films. This is a soup to nuts how-to course, from gear, to theory, to execution, and all you need is an internet connection to participate. Live chat with the classroom and conversations via @creativeLIVE on Twitter included.

Register in advance here. The daily schedule is posted here. Drop in when you have time, or stay for the whole weekend. As with all creativeLIVE classes, the live feed is free. Pay to download if you wanna put it on your hard drive, ipod, or wherever you want.

Course Information

* Course: An introduction to HDDSLR Cinema.
* Instructor: Vincent Laforet
* When: Friday, April 30 – Sunday, May 2 (9am – 6pm PDT, GMT -8)

And FWIW, I think I’m gonna drop in one day to pay a visit in person. Hope to catch you there.

25 Responses to FREE LIVE Event: HDDSLR Cinema with Vincent Laforet

1. Nik April 29, 2010 at 8:46 am #

This is the one I’ve had marked on my calendar since creativeLive was launched (or at least, since I heard about it!).

2. Patrick April 29, 2010 at 8:52 am #

How much would it be if we buy it?? will we be able to buy it after the Live Event??

• Chase April 29, 2010 at 8:55 am #

you can pre-buy the video download DURING the live event for $79 for the entire weekend course. after the course is over it will be $129. vince’s courses normally go for $2000 or more

reminder you can watch for free live.

• Anonymous April 29, 2010 at 1:36 pm #

thank you for the reply Chase. i think i will just have to buy it becuase i have work during that weekend. thank you again.

3. Luke April 29, 2010 at 12:44 pm #

Hi Chase, I randomly stumbled across your work a few weeks ago, and have become quite a fan; I really appreciate your work and the approach you take to the art. I wanted to thank you for making your perspective and experience as well as others like Mr. Laforet available for us to draw from as we work to refine our craft.

I will definitely tune in this weekend…I was wondering, how does one become a part of the audience? Assuming this event will be hosted in your Seattle studio, I live down the road and would love to be present at one of these events to ask questions. I have been put in an interesting position, I have been tasked with building (from the ground up) and managing a video/photography/audio department at the company I work for, and I run into questions all the time. Outside of creativeLive events, do you ever consult? Are you open to intern/apprenticeships? Your thoughts?

Thanks again.

4. Jeff April 29, 2010 at 2:48 pm #

Can’t wait to learn… then go MAKE STUFF!

Thanks Chase!

5. Martin-O April 29, 2010 at 3:03 pm #

this look pretty good chase!

6. Jim Powell April 30, 2010 at 12:50 pm #

I’ve had this event on my calendar for almost a month. Unfortunately I can’t really sit around watching this video all weekend, but I am REALLY excited about this course so I bought it this morning. I wish I could participate live, but I’d rather be able to break it up and watch it when it’s convenient. I can’t wait to check it out though. $79 bucks is an insanely good deal!

7. Matt Timmons April 30, 2010 at 2:06 pm #

Thanks for the info. I think I’ll purchase so I can keep a copy since I can’t watch it the whole weekend. Are there instructions on how to buy the download?

• Matt Timmons April 30, 2010 at 2:10 pm #

Oh just found it right there on the event page. Duh. Cheers, -M

8. John April 30, 2010 at 2:22 pm #

It’s actually a very nice and welcome move away from the blurb of the first Adobe CS5 sessions… I’m REALLY enjoying it so far. The tech aspects are boring if you are already familiar with them, but welcome if you aren’t, and the rest is awesome. It’s great to be able to follow a talk by Laforet like this. Very interesting insights!
    Kudos!!

9. Rick Lamb April 30, 2010 at 8:50 pm #

Hey Chase! Thank you for making the Creative Live thing happen with both you and Vincent! My wife and I sat from 9am to past 7pm in total awe of the info-sharing! What a wonderful giveback!!

10. Steve April 30, 2010 at 9:45 pm #

I’m trying to listen to the rebroadcast but I get a forbidden warning when I go t to any of the creativelive.com addresses? I’ve tried both Safari and Firefox browsers.

11. jeremy May 2, 2010 at 4:01 am #

Awesome stuff, i’ve been enjoying it all weekend, and starbucks is making a fortune from all the coffee i’ve been drinking this weekend to stay up to watch it.

I did get a little sad though when i saw you on the session showing the video capabilities of the nikon….its so depressing how completely inadequate the nikon video capabilities are compared to the canon, and the only way to get manual control is to purchase the super out of my league d3s? Right now, if you want to shoot dslr video, canon is the only way to go because it seems like nikon either doesn’t care or cant get it right.

12. Danielle May 2, 2010 at 6:17 pm #

I’ve been thoroughly enjoying the broadcast (at Starbucks, too!) The commentary from you and Vince today was particularly helpful. I’m learning so much and will watch the downloads to catch anything I missed!

13. phil southern May 3, 2010 at 7:37 am #

loved seeing the workshop.I liked it enough to plug it on a free photography contest I host online that gives a lot of money away internationally.

14. Jonny May 3, 2010 at 9:50 am #

Watched about 1/2 of the livecast… very good stuff! Thanks to everyone who made this happen. I make a living in photography & advertising/marketing, and I still walked away with heaps and heaps of insight and knowledge. A lot was relatively simple/fundamental, but to have such a comprehensive package of everything Vincent covered is nearly invaluable. Too often we get away from the fundamentals, and for that alone, this was excellent.

Anyone considering buying the seminar: Don’t hesitate… It’s worth every penny.

15. diala chinedu May 3, 2010 at 11:49 am #

Thanks for this Chase

16. Benny Smith May 3, 2010 at 7:17 pm #

hi chase. I love the sound of this one, unfortunately was unable to catch it tho, due to copious amounts of uni coursework. Was wondering if any student discounts are available on the downloads? My student loans unfortunately don’t stretch very far..
    Peace, from the other side of the pond! Benny.

17. John May 4, 2010 at 2:50 am #

Now that it’s over, thanks heaps for this! It was really great!!

18. Kevin Winzeler May 4, 2010 at 12:33 pm #

Hey Chase-
    I just purchased this and looking forward to it. Is there a higher resolution downloadable version than the “ipod”? Say, for the iPad for instance?

Thanks!
    Kevin
    Advertising Photographer

19. Tony Obfenda May 7, 2010 at 11:11 am #

Vincent Laforet! Chase Jarvis! Awesome workshop. so much valuable information I have to watch it over and over! Can’t wait to use this information for upcoming projects.

20. Padraic Deasy May 25, 2010 at 6:47 am #

great workshop! invaluable information thanks a million.

Padraic Deasy
    Ireland

21. lincolncasinousa.com October 1, 2014 at 9:02 am #

I cling on to listening to the news update talk about getting free online grant applications so I have been looking around for the finest site to get one. Could you advise me please, where could i acquire some?

1. Creative Live HD DSLR Workshop - May 3, 2010

[...] to complete their principal photography, complete with a commentary to camera from Laforet and Jarvis. The difference between the two shoots was day and night, as the eight participants magically [...]