Below The Surface: The Underwater Project

The Underwater Project 10 by Mark Tipple

The most powerful images in documentary photography projects are rarely the ones on the surface of the issue, they’re the ones that go deeper. Australian documentary photographer, Mark Tipple, has taken this concept quite literally in a new series called “The Underwater Project”.

I’ve always been intrigued by what happens below the surface, like what’s happening where we can’t see. Coming from a surfing background I used to wonder what happens when we’re duck-diving, like, what it looks like from a different angle…I used to surf with a small video camera and housing attached to my helmet…but that sucked. I looked for a new approach to capture what I was seeking, which basically meant getting off the surfboard.

His approach applies to us all. More gorgeous images from Mark, plus a video after the jump

Mark Tipple Screen shot 2010-05-20 at 10.25.31 AM

Mark Tipple Screen shot 2010-05-20 at 10.31.03 AM

Mark Tipple Screen shot 2010-05-20 at 10.30.35 AM

Mark Tipple Screen shot 2010-05-20 at 10.43.50 AM May 20, 2010

Mark Tipple Screen shot 2010-05-20 at 10.12.09 AM

39 Responses to Below The Surface: The Underwater Project

1. Richard May 20, 2010 at 11:04 am #

Wow – some of those shots are insane! Thanks for sharing.

2. Hiram May 20, 2010 at 11:08 am #

Very interesting pictures. The crashing of the waves look like clouds.

3. Barbara May 20, 2010 at 11:13 am #

Thanks for sharing! Emotional

4. Mickael Tannus May 20, 2010 at 11:24 am #

Wow … amazing photos!

5. Tom May 20, 2010 at 11:38 am #

One word “Amazing”
    Also on his website you will find some great photography.
    The music in the movie gives it a great touch. Well done!

6. Albert May 20, 2010 at 11:43 am #

Amazing photos and great project!!

7. Dan S. May 20, 2010 at 12:09 pm #

This is the most beautiful work I’ve seen in months–years even.

8. Khashayar May 20, 2010 at 12:54 pm #

wow.. . amazing mind he have !… I adore the project !

9. Pedro May 20, 2010 at 2:18 pm #

This is ridiculously great. I’ve always loved how waves look from underwater, and thought that it would be really cool to take pics. These are just amazing.

10. Taylor Verde May 20, 2010 at 3:49 pm #

Very interesting shots! Love this creative think-outside-the-box style. Dont see these shots ever!

11. Robert May 20, 2010 at 3:55 pm #

All respect to Mark Tipple, but this also reminds me of Trent Parke & Narelle Autio’s project, “The Seventh Wave”, from 1999-2000…

Also Narelle’s subsequent series, “Watercolours” and “The Place In Between” –

Still beautiful work, though!
    R

12. Alex McIntyre May 20, 2010 at 5:57 pm #

I love the shots but have a look at Australian photographers Trent parke and Narrel Autio.

13. Glyn Dewis May 20, 2010 at 9:43 pm #

Fantastic series of images and video Chase, thanks for sharing.
    My fave has to be #1 … real drama in the photography enhanced by the colour and tone of the wave as it rolls overhead.

Great stuff.
    Glyn

14. Tony Novak-Clifford May 20, 2010 at 11:32 pm #

Stunning images. More here, just as stunning… images made nearly 20 years ago the incredible Wayne Levin:

15. Maya May 20, 2010 at 11:59 pm #

Amazing work.

Two other Australians – Narelle Autio and Trent Parke did a really interesting project called The Seventh Wave. Check it out when if you have a chance.

16. Rufat Abas May 21, 2010 at 12:17 am #

The first one is awesome!!!

17. Kris Mitchell May 21, 2010 at 12:31 am #

Jeeeesus! Talk about making yourself stand out from a crowd! Stunning pictures, and what a fantastic concept!

18. Benjamin Schneider May 21, 2010 at 7:15 am #

Wow – Really awesome shots, generated by a great idea! Thnx for sharing!

19. Brian Palmer May 21, 2010 at 8:40 am #

Wow, just Wow! Never would have thought about doing that! Great work Mark! Great showcase Chase… Love the images! I would live to buy one for my office wall!

20. Jh May 21, 2010 at 10:36 am #

Does anyone out there know of Trent Park and Narelle Autio’s book on the same subject
    First published in 199/200…
    have a look at it, its amazing
    J.

21. Mike Yip May 21, 2010 at 7:27 pm #

Beautiful shots.
    Always like underwater photography but with fear of drowning. It’s something scary that I’d have to overcome if want to venture out to big waves.

22. Anthony Perez May 22, 2010 at 4:10 am #

These pictures are absolutely awe inspiring, i love the way the waves almost look like ash clouds and i think its one of the very few photoshoots that catch people’s true expressions as they wont be thinking about the photos just escaping the waves, wish i could get into surfing hopefully this summer!

23. azrull May 22, 2010 at 8:26 am #

That was amazing dude !

24. Arpad Ronaszegi May 23, 2010 at 9:09 am #

Chase,

Thank you for sharing Mark’s amazing photos! A seemingly simple idea but with a stunning and creative execution!

25. Lindsay May 23, 2010 at 4:53 pm #

These are absolutely amazing! Thanks for sharing. I’m so ready to get in the ocean this summer. I featured Mark Tipple as photographer of the week on my blog.

26. nick wilson May 25, 2010 at 11:57 am #

Chase – these are pretty cool – thanks for sharing!!!
    peace.
    nick

27. GLEN SCOLAN May 26, 2010 at 6:01 am #

magnifique, wow, impressionnant. Bravo pour cette superbe série !

28. Susan June 1, 2010 at 12:19 am #

amazing and beautiful

29. Matthew T Rader June 1, 2010 at 7:44 pm #

Amazing and beautiful photos! When I take photos I try to take photos of things people find annoying like power lines and show how they are part of our lives and landscapes.

30. m June 22, 2010 at 2:21 pm #

like others, i’m a big fan of the “seventh wave” that narelle autio and trent parke did. and mark tipple’s work is ok… not nearly as dreamy or as impactful though.

my favorite underwater stuff by an american photographer has to be josh ritchie’s “fluidity” project… he, too, was influence by trent and narelle, but found a way to make it his own. it’s cool gritty b&w stuff all shot on a nikonos under florida’s surf…

31. Robby Pandy January 29, 2012 at 7:41 am #

Good blog! I really love how it is simple on my eyes and the data are well written. I am wondering how I could be notified whenever a new post has been made. I’ve subscribed to your RSS which must do the trick! Have a great day! “If you are going to do something wrong at least enjoy it.” by Leo C. Rosten.

32. Taylor Shifflet April 5, 2012 at 10:37 pm #

An eco shelter sets off this mashing override. FarmVille Cheats conjectures this undetectable rehabilitation alongside some sort of contentious ointment. FarmVille Cheats sets the front door beneath the considerate make meals. The particular headscarf rattles about the professional.

33. Chad Norn May 4, 2012 at 2:43 am #

I needed to put you one little note so as to give thanks the moment again with the unique views you’ve shared on this website. This has been certainly seriously generous of people like you to offer unhampered all many of us could have offered for sale as an e-book in order to make some dough for their own end, particularly considering that you could have tried it if you desired. The points likewise served as a great way to fully grasp that other people online have the identical eagerness similar to my very own to understand very much more regarding this matter. I am certain there are lots of more enjoyable opportunities in the future for individuals who looked over your blog.

34. Yolonda Trafford November 15, 2012 at 7:02 am #

This post is in fact a nice one it helps new web people, who are wishing for blogging.

35. Reed Gamby January 4, 2013 at 2:42 pm #

Does your site have a contact page? I am having problems locating it yet, I would prefer to shoot you an email. I’ve obtained some suggestions in your weblog you might ensue questioning about hearing. What’s more method, polite internetsite and I glare forward to seeing it explain more than time.

36. Jenniffer Lemos February 14, 2013 at 5:56 am #

Im no skilled, nevertheless I see in your mind’s eye you emphatically completed the finest peninsula. You naturally identify what youre talking about, and I can certainly get at the back that. Thanks for being so straight and accordingly genuine.

37. Charlotte home insulation January 24, 2014 at 5:40 pm #

I rarely leave a response, but after reading a few of the
    responses on The Underwater Project: Mark Tipple photographs below the
    surface | Chase Jarvis Blog. I do have 2 questions for
    you if it’s allright. Is it only me or does it look like like a few of these comments come across as if they
    are coming from brain dead individuals? :-P And,
    if you are posting on additional sites, I’d like to follow anything fresh you have to
    post. Would you post a list of all of your social community sites like your twitter feed, Facebook
    page or linkedin profile?

1. The Underwater Project: Mark Tipple photographs below the surface « Un Espacio en mi Escritorio - May 20, 2010

[...] The Underwater Project: Mark Tipple photographs below the surface 20 05 2010 via blog.chasejarvis.com [...]

2. The Underwater Project by Narelle Autio « WWU Photography - January 3, 2012

[...] http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2010/05/below-the-surface-the-underwater-project/ [...]