Sagmeister on Keeping It Real

sagmeisterWhereas in ancient times a big waistline was an indication of prosperity, today it’s not. The same goes for your creative business.

“The conventional wisdom in our business is that you have to grow and keep moving to survive. We never grew, always stayed tiny, and it serves us very well over the years, allowing us to pick and choose projects, and keeping our financial independence from our clients. We actually have a rather good track record, because we do select projects carefully. Most of our ideas don’t eat dust but glimpse the light of day because we find it much more helpful to spend some serious time and effort before we start working on a project, rather than suffer through it afterwards.” – Stefan Sagmeister, Designer

Your client list can get big. Your staff can get big. Your hopes can get big. Productions can get big. Even invoices can get big. But none of that means a thing unless you’re doing work that you believe in and doing it well. And only you can measure that for yourself. Where do you want to go and what do you want to do?

Bigger is only better when you’re talking vision.

[thx to the lovely blog the99percent]

36 Responses to Sagmeister on Keeping It Real

1. Mike Tittel May 14, 2010 at 10:19 am #

I couldn’t agree more. Thanks for sharing.

2. Stephen D. Smith May 14, 2010 at 10:26 am #

Thanks for sharing this. Today, of all days, I truly needed to read this.

3. Jonny May 14, 2010 at 10:54 am #

Very true. I think our small company size is an asset, not a hindrance. Doesn’t mean we think small project wise, but it allows us to serve our clients better than many.

4. David Killingback May 14, 2010 at 10:55 am #

Spot on. :-)

5. Joshua May 14, 2010 at 11:11 am #

This made me smile today. It’s always great to see that the being good at what you do can trump numbers/power/money/resources.

6. Marcin Retecki May 14, 2010 at 11:13 am #

Well said, very well said.

7. Dylan Haley May 14, 2010 at 12:09 pm #

Chase, I’ve had more offers in the past couple of weeks on different projects then I have ever had in my career, and only one of them do I want to do, and none of them do I need to do. For some reason I’ve been stressing on how to get them all done by mid-June, which seems to be around the time of all their deadlines…in short, I needed this post. Thanks buddy.

8. Lauran May 14, 2010 at 12:28 pm #

Agree with you Chase … But none of that means a thing unless you’re doing work that you believe in and doing it well.

9. Donald E Giannatti May 14, 2010 at 1:53 pm #

I went from single photographer to staff of 8 in the early 80′s. Cut back to only two over a period of two years… just hated the shooting towels and garage door parts and such to make payroll. Then added design to the business and by 2000 we were the 2nd largest ad agency in AZ (OCEAN Integrated Media) and had 20 people working for me and my partner.

I am back to only one… thanks to the dotbomb and 911 and a crookedasswipe of a partner, but I love it. I really do. My clients love me, and I deliver exclusively to them. I agree with Sagmeister 110%… I love keeping the overhead small and the work large.

10. Matt May 14, 2010 at 7:39 pm #

“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of a cancer cell.”

- Edward Abby

11. Leif May 15, 2010 at 8:41 am #

Agree 100 percent – can we share this with Wall Street

12. Roberto May 15, 2010 at 9:27 am #

Ótimo texto. Vem ao encontro do momento de transição profissional que vivencio.

Quem quer, faz. Não importa o que terá que superar. Simplesmente faz. Mas saber como fazer é sempre fundamental, diferencia.

13. David Dvir May 16, 2010 at 10:13 am #

Couldn’t be more true. My first, and perhaps last, business partner always talked about expanding and dominating by hiring more photographers and branching out. But I just wanted to be really awesome at what I do. No reason other than greed to go overboard. Thanks for sharing.

Dave

14. Duckrabbit Digital May 16, 2010 at 10:28 am #

Thank you for posting this. It’s cheering to hear that quality is still appreciated. So often small business owners are encouraged to stop providing services that are time-consuming when, really, taking the time to perform those services are what keep people coming back. And it’s a lot more rewarding to work with the same small and dedicated group of people for years, getting to know them and developing friendships with them, then it is to have a lot of customers but constant turnover.

As it turns out, bigger is not better.

Tempest

15. Claudia Hung May 17, 2010 at 9:26 am #

Wow, totally needed to hear this (again) today too. I had a meeting with a potential client today which was an absolute struggle. Was tempted with financial fears and the counter-intuitive nature of saying “No” to work. Reading the quote above was a needed reminder of learning to draw the line and maintaining artistic integrity.
    Thanks!

c.

16. Mirko Vukasovic May 22, 2010 at 3:00 pm #

Awesome entry from an awesome designer. We designers (chilean designers at least) have a tough time once we finish college because amidst the huge ammount of useless courses made for money earning only, we never get the lessons that are related with marketing and business. Fortunately, I’ve managed to learn it quite smoothly.

Big ideas, big vision, selected projects make huge products.

Saludos Chase!

17. Matthew T Rader June 1, 2010 at 7:40 pm #

I love that philosophy! Thank you for sharing! It’s about quality and that’s my goal in my work too.

18. Sherlyn Ledl August 21, 2011 at 7:27 pm #

lolllllll

19. Prawo pracy Warszawa November 23, 2011 at 10:25 am #

I’ve been exploring for a little bit for any high quality articles or blog posts on this kind of area . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this web site. Reading this information So i’m happy to convey that I have an incredibly good uncanny feeling I discovered just what I needed. I most certainly will make sure to do not forget this web site and give it a glance regularly.

20. 土屋 茉絵 May 24, 2013 at 4:50 am #

Victorious one CSN Coyotes basketball group.. alot more energy.

21. Hilaria Baldassarre June 23, 2013 at 11:00 pm #

You put your good friends information for shipping address.

22. top10blog January 26, 2014 at 1:16 am #

I love this article. Thanks for all the great ideas! I actually have implemented a lot of these and so far, they have worked tremendously for my business! Thanks Freelance Switch…!

23. 3 week diet June 16, 2014 at 1:47 am #

Hi, anyone ever hear about that electrician in Tribeca called New York Electrician, 94 Chambers St, New York, NY 10007 (646) 415-6723

24. Garfield Tresca July 4, 2014 at 9:55 am #

You could certainly see your expertise within the work you write. The world hopes for even more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to say how they believe. At all times follow your heart.

25. liamswaden.wix.com August 20, 2014 at 5:58 am #

Wonderful site heaps of terrific steam shower knowledge here

26. Aidan August 21, 2014 at 8:12 am #

Awesome web site, just lately been searching forever and a day for ideas
    on the very best rattan furnishings for our
    home and in our garden. This site truly helpedgreat blog some great info here

27. Brooks August 21, 2014 at 4:59 pm #

28 oz Delmonte Chunky Diced Zesty Chili Style tomatoes or equivalent.
    Gluten is the protein commonly found in Barley, Wheat and Rye.
    The more pronounced this process gets, the more serious the
    digestive issues grow into.

28. corner steam shower August 22, 2014 at 2:19 am #

Was in actual fact searching for just a traditional shower enclosures
    when I came across this page, wouldn’t even know there was
    any such thing as a ‘steam shower enclosure’, really, may just may have to have one

29. berita August 23, 2014 at 12:39 am #

saya pikir sudah masuk dibenak pengguna, dan banyak orang juga mulai ‘terkontaminasi’ (dalam konotasi positif) dengan visi
    ini, kalau dari sisi perkembangan strategi bisnis bagaimana.
    Pertama, belum lama ini dikabarkan bahwa RIM tengah mempersiapkan sebuah browser Black – Berry
    terbaru dan jika tidak ada halangan maka browser ini
    akan diperkenalkan pada masyarakat luas di akhir
    tahun 2010. As the search for the missing Malaysia Airlines plane — Flight MH370 — entered its
    fourth day, the Malaysian military issued a statement noting that the airplane, which
    was scheduled to land in Beijing, China, for some reason changed direction.

30. girls nude videos free August 23, 2014 at 6:10 pm #

Spot on with this write-up, I truly think this web site needs a great
    deal more attention. I’ll probably be returning
    to read more, thanks for the advice!

31. Google August 23, 2014 at 6:25 pm #

I read this piece of writing fully concerning the resemblance of
    newest and previous technologies, it’s remarkable article.

32. Comment pirater un compte facebook August 24, 2014 at 6:29 am #

Hey there! I understand this is kind of off-topic but I
    had to ask. Does managing a well-established website like yours
    require a lot of work? I’m brand new to operating a blog
    but I do write in my journal everyday. I’d like to start a blog so I
    can share my experience and feelings online. Please let me know if you have any recommendations or tips for brand
    new aspiring blog owners. Appreciate it!

33. denver snowstorm 2012 August 26, 2014 at 12:17 pm #

When I lived in Britain, my kitchen was full of labour-saving devices,
    but some of the things I used to use just once a month over there, I now see being used every day.
    Nevertheless, having correctly coated chocolate anytime you want doesn’t mean that you can indulge in them indiscriminately.

This can be a nifty little device that squeezes whole potatoes into perfectly cut fries which are instantly ready for frying.

34. pool floats amazon August 28, 2014 at 7:53 pm #

obviously like you web site but you have to test the spelling on sevesral off your posts.

Several of them are rife with spelling problems and I to find it
    very bothersome to inform the reality however I’ll surely coome again again.

35. fury key west August 30, 2014 at 3:36 am #

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting
    my own blog and was curious what all is required to get
    set up? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?
    I’m not very web savvy so I’m not 100% positive.
    Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

36. gluten Free bread Recipes August 30, 2014 at 2:05 pm #

You don’t need to go to the beach for this favorite treat.

Learning you have celiac disease can be very overwhelming, particularly as the ‘cure’ is not one or two pills, but a very strict gluten-free diet.
    Xanthan gum is currently used to international thickening,
    suspension, emulsion, stable in in one body.