Superfad Delivers the Superdope for Sony

I really enjoy the integration of live-action and motion design production. Turns out that my good friend Will Hyde–the ECD over at Superfad and all around super-talented guy with whom I co-directed a music video a while back (not near as supercool as this stuff here…but fun nonetheless)–has really outdone himself in the latest Sony campaign called “Eye Candy”. Great little behind-the-scenes piece here showing the amazing work of Will and his Superfad crew on the Phantom HD cinema camera at 1000 frames per second. I realize we don’t all have these means, but it’s to fantasize about what’s possible

See the 2 minute finished piece after the jump…pretty amazing when you can create. Great imaginations + budget + tools + vision = tasty bits like this. I’m both inspired and exhausted just watching it.

Props to the team. Credits: Client: Sony Electronics. Video Program Manager: Lisa Gonzalez. Agency: chickINchair Productions Executive Producer: Kim Tierney. Live Action Production Company: Superfad. Director: Will Hyde. Director of Photography: Martin Ahlgren. Production Designer: Jason Puccinelli Wardrobe Design/Stylist: Heidi Meek
Make Up: Bryin Smoot. Line Producer: Scott Ludden. Design & Animation: Superfad. Executive Creative Director: Will Hyde. Creative Director: Carlos Stevens. CGI/VFX Director: Dade Orgeron. 3D Artists: Tom Oakerson, Phiphat Pinyosophon, Andrew Butterworth, Yas Koyama. Alex O’Donnell, Dimitri Luedemann, Billy Maloney. Compositors: Tom Oakerson, Paulo Dias, Loren Judah, Dorian West, Sohee Sohn,. John Stanch, Soyoun Lee, Dimitri Luedemann, David Holm. Editor: Ryan Haug. Flame Artist: Andy Davis. Head of Production: Chris Volckmann. Executive Producer: Rob Sanborn. Music: Matt Hutchinson

Lenderman says:

magnificent issues altogether, you simply gained a logo new reader. What would you suggest in regards to your put up that you made some days ago? Any positive?

No. it’s not enough.

Simon Flaggs says:

likes is very quick, never avoid above steps and save your Facebook Page Likes. Also check out Here you can check how to divert your Facebook Web page traffic to you Internet site Connect with TricksWindow on

Wow, brilliant weblog structure! How slow have you been running a blog for? you compose organization a blog look straightforward. The complete give the impression of being of your web situate is vast, allow alone the content!

I truly got into this post. I identified it to be interesting and loaded with unique points of interest. I like to read material that makes me feel. Thank you for writing this great content.

I would like to convey my admiration for your generosity in support of men and girls that have the need for assist with this specific concern. Your particular dedication to getting the message all over had been wonderfully productive and have all of the time produced specialists a lot like me to attain their dreams.

I have been exploring for a bit for any high quality articles or blog posts on this kind of area . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this site. Reading this info So i am happy to convey that I’ve an incredibly good uncanny feeling I discovered exactly what I needed. I most certainly will make certain to do not forget this web site and give it a glance on a constant basis.

there are no words to describe the video !

Patrick S says:

This is just amazing! Thank you for sharing chase..

RV says:

Sorry to spoil the cheer, but really, this is nothing compared to The Third & The Seventh
It’s one man production, Alex Roman, entirely in 3D. He wrote the music, did the animation, post, compositing, modeling on a PC. It’s most photographic video I’ve ever seen.

Superfad just doesn’t cut it and Sony looses it’s value in my eyes. The real paint explosion commercials were much better, not to mention the million balls in San Francisco.
Even the Japanese Sony Alpha 550 ad was better and more engaging.

Superfad is an example how too much of new toys kills the “spirit”. When I watch this new Sony commerical I see a guy who was paid to wiggle a mop, a model didn’t give a f*** about what she does and poor/fake CGI by todays standards. It could be awe inspiring anything in 1994 maybe…

And Chase, I highly recommend watching this short film by Alex Roman. It’s so photographic, real and beautiful yet done on a home computer with Windows XP running on it (you can see the back-stage stuff in the related). I know Superfad are your friends and all, but see The Third & Seventh and I think you will have no doubt I’m right with my judgment. Maybe Superfad fits better into Hollywood and commercial work on deadlines but by no means this new ad is something worth admiring.

Mike Yip says:

I WANT THE GEARS! Great stuff as always

Adam says:

Speechless…

earl says:

I defiantly like the video…but i feel like “slow motion” is becoming to video what the “flash intro” was for web design…

Chris says:

pretty amazing work..
also great move from sony to get something like this done!

Grady Layman says:

very good stuff… blows my mind the time this takes.

Lenard says:

Boy, that video really reminds me of the movie “The Fountain (2006)”….especially the music.

I think I’m going to loop this all day long. Amazing work, thanks Superfad!
Thanks for sharing this Chase.

Robin Sarac says:

That was so cool it caused me some measure of pain…good pain. Best. Blog. Ever.

Pete says:

Wow, jaw dropping. Thanks for sharing Chase. The parrot clip left me wanting more of birds flying in super slow mo hd….

Kurtis Kronk says:

It would be so much fun to be part of a project like this. Even if you’re the guy mopping up the mess, or handling the catering. So much talent from so many people to create this stuff.

Sony Eye Candy campaign… talk about being in a candy store as a creative… that sounds pretty open-ended in terms of what could be done.

sammy d says:

so sick

Bal Deo says:

Just breath taking. Just pure imagination.

Omar says:

AWESOME !!!
Great ideas running there !!

Another brilliant video Chase. Keep delivering us behind the scenes videos. They’re solid!

holy crap. Superfad is amazing. I wonder what the budget and man/woman hours was. A ton of people created an awesome experience.

Eric Naslund says:

I can’t even create new words to express how I feel about this work. Nothing like Superfad’s work to leave you humble as a Monk.

That is very VERY cool! In fact it’s awe inspiring to watch this level of digital creativity. I know that it is very much the current, but it still seems so futuristic and unattainable even to someone who likes to think he’s ahead of the times!

Even more scary is that most keen amateurs are basically doing the level that pros were working at perhaps 10 years ago. Keen amateurs are going to be doing stuff like this in 10 years, when 1000fps cameras can be purchased for £200-500 and 3d software that can do everything in this AND integrate with video will be sold for £100 or less with a “make your own media masterpiece” written on the box. It’s definitely a “hang onto the coat-tails and enjoy the ride” decade to come!

And if I think anything in the above prediction might be wrong, it’s the mention of it being 10 years away…..

Myles says:

Wicked wicked wicked

When dslrs started flooding the amateur market, everyone started to cry that the days of pros making money were over, yet the best are still making the big bucks shooting awesome images.

And when dslrs and other camcorders started to offer professional levels of video quality, the days of “hollywood” were over, yet the best are still making the big bucks shooting awesome footage, and merging it with amazing cgi work.

Far from being a dead industry, the combined medias are just starting to get interesting!

Jonny says:

Very true. As chase says “a rising tide floats all boats”, and from photoshelter “if you are afraid of the 13 year old with a rebel… you need to become a better photographer and a better business person”.

No one is taking anything from anyone else… however, the natural progression is that the bar is constantly being raised. Unless we progress with the industry, we can fall below that bar in a heartbeat.

Chris Baron says:

I long for the day when I can get 1000fps for a more modest price. That day has to be coming, please tell me it is.

bigmarry says:

Surreal indeed… I don’t even want to think about what this costs! Although I’m sure it’s worth every penny…

Barney D. says:

The only words for that are amazing and inspiring. Thanks for the quality post as always Chase.

jen berry says:

This is sensational. Beautiful. I love these cameras. Althought they were originally made for scientific research, they are adjusting to the film world quite well… we just worked with 3 phantom golds simultaneously for Nike and then for allstate. they are insane. often you have to choose which takes to keep and throw the rest away. So much information… Is that Andy Bethke, the DIT? Thanks for sharing. I love seeing the process.

Super impressive…done really well. They should be proud of this work for sure…..Keep raising the bar fellas!!!

dave says:

I remember seeing this several weeks ago on the BDA (Broadcast Designer’s Association) site and watched it several times. I should have known it was Superfad. Scenes reminded me of the previous Kung Fu shoot. I’m also a motion graphic artist and no where capable of doing something like this, but those guys are extremely talented and creative. Watching stuff like this is really inspiring and only makes me want to push myself harder to reach a higher level.

nir pengas says:

truly inspiring.

1% inspiration – 99% perspiration

and most importantly – impossible is nothing.

thanx for sharing guys.

~nir.

neha says:

oh my goodness!!! this is like WOW incredible! its friggin’ WOW!!!
[jaws dropped]

Mike Tittel says:

superfad=superdope. Thanks for sharing.

really impressive!

Korey says:

That was sick!!! Left me really inspired…. Just a wealth of ideas and imagination in that one clip!!!!