Two Short Films. Two Amazing People.

Two short films. Two amazing people I’d love for you to meet.

1. Soren. You know TV’s reality drama “The Deadliest Catch” about the world’s most dangerous profession. Well Soren Sorenson has lived that hardcore commercial fisherman’s life for 50 years, and he’s lived it without an ounce of bravado or showmanship, despite his record-breaking catches and the fact that 6 of his boats have ended up on the bottom of the ocean. Now at 72 years old, you can bet he’s seen a lot of change in his life.

2. Krishna. As the world “goes green” most of us are doing our part by finding recycling bins and seeking cars with better gas mileage. Krishna Nadella has taken on a bigger mission. Having emigrated from India to the US at 23 years old, and with inspiration from his grandmother’s primitive recycling efforts back home, he has set out to completely redefine what it means to recycle plastic–and it’s working. By intercepting millions of pounds of “trash” from our landfills and making plastics infinitely recyclable, he’s poised to change the world. By licensing a patent from a US University, and putting it to use for us all, he is one of the most innovative minds I’ve ever met.

Both these 4 minute documentaries are shorts in film series I’ve been commissioned to create for Russell Investments. I’m exploring topics… like Innovation and Change, as seen in these videos, but also ideas around Risk, Planning, and beyond. The rest of the films can be found here. Please check them out. My goal has been to make this series insightful and beautiful. I’d love to hear your thoughts below if any of this strikes a chord.

50 Responses to Two Short Films. Two Amazing People.

1. M.D. Welch May 26, 2010 at 10:23 am #

Chase.

Fantastic work. As someone that has been doing corporate video for over 5 years, I applaud the human element that you have brought into these videos. Something all commercial and corporate companies should use. I am curious if you will blog on the process. How much is done by you, an additional crew, rental gear and such. Also, is this HDSLR video, or Red?

Thank you again for sharing and moving the bar.

M.D.

• Chase May 26, 2010 at 10:27 am #

Hey MD. we’ll likely be doing some more process vids on these, but until then, you can check out our first behind the scenes from this series here which outlines the equipment used and a few techniques.

more to come…

• Marc C. Johnson May 30, 2010 at 11:46 am #

Chase: I second the call for process vids! I also appreciate the time you put into talking with your readers about how you approach the videos, both technically and artistically. Thanks.

2. David Dvir May 26, 2010 at 10:32 am #

Chase + Team,

Well done. You guys have nailed these. I can watch these looking for cinematics, photography, audio or what have you and it looks awesome every way. Mostly though, these are nice to watch without thinking about anything and just getting the message/point of the video; which is probably the goal. It’s great work. Be proud. I know I’m jelly ;)

David Dvir

• Anonymous May 31, 2010 at 4:58 pm #

Awesome, well done videos with interesting narrative! I like the quality of the video, the B&W option reminded me of art movies and the fact that there are no voiceovers. I will be watching these videos to learn more about your shooting technique, photography, lighting, framing, you and your crew are the best.

3. Scott MacKenzie May 26, 2010 at 10:52 am #

Visually, the videos are deep and rich, like pudding. Great use of music as well, I think. It must have been a LOT of work. Beautiful!

4. Daniel May 26, 2010 at 11:03 am #

Chase, nice work, great mini-story, mini-documentary. Getting the point across, very cool.
    You’re embedding from YouTube. What are the factors going into your decision to use YouTube, as opposed to other Video sharing sites? Will this play on an iPad, is it HTML5 based?
    Thanks, great job.

• Dartanyon May 26, 2010 at 11:09 am #

The biggest factor going into our choice of YouTube, was really exposure. At the time when we had to choose it was much bigger than anything else out there. There was a time when we had to post some of the longer stuff on Vimeo, or Viddler, but eventually we became partners with YouTube, which gives us access to some longer run times, and larger file sizes.

YouTube converts all of the videos to H.264, and although the current main page does not show it [there is an HTML 5 Beta BTW] they make all of the content available to iPhone and iPad through the integrated YouTube App.

5. Lou M May 26, 2010 at 11:10 am #

these are fantastic!

6. André Weigel May 26, 2010 at 11:22 am #

Great… !

7. Mike Palangio May 26, 2010 at 12:26 pm #

Very stunning work. I absolutely love this series and have been stoked every time I see a new piece. Keep it up, it is work like this that will help expose the great people on this planet. Plus it motivates me to go out and do something creative. Thanks.

• Chase Jarvis May 27, 2010 at 4:37 pm #

i only wish i had budget and time to do this for 100 more people… so many amazing stories, so little time.

• scott acopulos August 22, 2011 at 11:15 pm #

chase, i was an extra in your short with soren , what an amazing man. i too wish you had the budget to do more of theese stories. i loved how you packaged his story. it was beautiful. you took me with you into his world and showed me his heart. beautiful work. you are an artist. again. i really hope to see more of your work. its really special how you tell stories.

8. William J. Ingalls May 26, 2010 at 12:41 pm #

Chase Jarvis Inc.

The Black and White conversion is splendid! Such beautiful footage, also the sound scoring is awesome. Really well done from the ground up. How long does it take you to find these great people? Not only do they have great stories to tell, they know how to tell them! These videos suggest to me that you acted more as “conduits” rather than “extractors”. Will there ever be a post on interaction tips? You’ve nailed it.

Best,

Will

9. Phil May 26, 2010 at 7:22 pm #

The slowmo from the RED looks absolutely killer. There is just a clarity to it that isnt matched by the DSLR. Everything still looks super killer though thats for sure.

10. john hildebrand May 26, 2010 at 11:43 pm #

nice work the videos are killer.

11. paul sherar May 27, 2010 at 6:31 am #

great stories here, great editing, beautiful images.

12. Chase May 27, 2010 at 8:56 am #

Am I going to be the dissenting jerk by saying I dont care for the lighting or black/shadow compression on the 2nd video of the recycling?

The composition, audio, edit and flow are gorgeous, but the black compression and the lighting during his interviews I dont favor.

Nice work as always tho Chase and team.

• Chase Jarvis May 27, 2010 at 4:39 pm #

naw man. all good. for sake of discussion, the interviews aren’t actually “lit”. they’re intentionally just as is. subject in the world and we’re chasing them around. i could see this stands out against our other “beauty” shots… and ya, youtube can really hammer the blacks.

• Chase May 28, 2010 at 6:39 am #

I was curious if youtube compressed the piss out of the blacks, because they didnt look anything like your other videos toning.

Sweet job and thanks for sharing. Incredibly inspired and have a long weekend to do something with it!

13. sherifa May 28, 2010 at 12:05 am #

very inspiring! keep up the good work…cheers:)

14. Danie Nel May 28, 2010 at 5:37 am #

Absolutely beautiful, Chase.

15. Anthony Perez May 28, 2010 at 6:03 am #

I found the second one ver inspiring, and the black and white composition is beautiful.

16. Kim A. May 28, 2010 at 5:09 pm #

Hi Chase,

great clips, I especially love the first, as it hits home with me personally.

I’m a Norwegian graphic designer living in London, my grandfather on my father’s side was a fisherman (as is my father and as was his father before him etc.) from the age of 14 until he was forced to retire in 1994 due to a heart condition, at the age of 65.

I have just finished writing and designing a short biography (98 pages) on him as my final project for my BA. During the course of my project, me and my grandfather spoke a lot about change and the differences between modern life (like my own) and his experiences. His story in many ways echo the words of Søren, especially on feeling the urge to go back to sea (even at his age of 81) and the change of having to adapt to a life on land. This was especially tough for him, since my grandfather did not himself choose to retire when he did.

For anyone interested, a short clip of the prototype of my book can be seen here: http://vimeo.com/11741924

-Kim A. Bøe

17. Benjamin Schneider May 29, 2010 at 3:27 am #

Great work! I absolutely love how you combine great thoughtful content and good-looking videos into one.

18. jen berry May 29, 2010 at 10:03 am #

proving once again that there is always a different perspective on every project. you’ve taken what seems to have been done already and made it incredibly fresh, emotive and visually rich and stimulating. Love these.

19. DGV May 30, 2010 at 4:52 am #

real game changer here.

20. Matthew T Rader June 1, 2010 at 7:35 pm #

I loved the two videos, the people you choose were fascinating, I love the style as well, great job guys!

• Chase June 7, 2010 at 5:51 pm #

thanks for backing my picks! they truly are great peeps…

21. Doug Robertson June 5, 2010 at 9:50 am #

Chase,
    I totally missed all the technical stuff and was into the stories, the lives of these people.
    In hindsight I appreciate the b&w treatment and the natural light as a means to place the emphasis on the stories being told.

Cheers.

22. Luke June 14, 2010 at 3:19 pm #

A fan of the whole series, been following these for a while, glad to see two more. I especially love this style of documentary, it shows the dedication of the interviewer, film crew and especially the editor to make a story flow by only using the subject as the narrator…I am not a fan of a narrator, a faceless voice, detached from the story interrupting the piece to connect the dots when the subject is far more qualified to do so. It does take commitment, though, to make it work without a narrator…that’s I think why I prefer it.

Question, I’ve seen a few videos like this other than yours, do you think this style of corporate vid will become (if it hasn’t already), the convention, and thus need a new boost of video production innovation? What do you think the new wave might be?

• Chase Jarvis June 14, 2010 at 6:04 pm #

it will only require a new “convention” if people decide to decide to sink the resources and dig deeper than the surface. like within the context of a ‘brand” few companies are willing to take these long views that build brand…most are to focused on the next sale. my gut tells me the trend will continue to follow this. few people rising, many hovering, some falling….

23. Ģirts June 22, 2010 at 12:44 am #

uhh I love camera work in fisherman’s story

24. ange d'andre December 3, 2010 at 7:22 pm #

Soren is my neighbor and friend. I was impressed with the work you did in
    getting him to reveal parts of his life and his feelings about the huge change
    in walking away from what was an essential part of his life. I have a ninety
    year old aunt whom I would like to memorialize with a DVD. She has a very
    good memory would make a terrific subject in a project as you carried out.
    Do you have suggestions as to how I can get you or someone else to produce
    such a recording? Or at least something close to it?

25. Alekssnder December 30, 2010 at 3:15 pm #

Awesome films:) Love the black and white.
    And where in Norway did you shoot the first video?

26. Nichelle Wilcoxon January 23, 2012 at 10:05 am #

I am not very fantastic with English but I come up this real easy to translate.

27. Anna Trimmer December 22, 2012 at 7:48 pm #

I located some data related to construction companies online that you might find an interest about.

28. Woodrow Alessi January 8, 2013 at 2:23 am #

Generally I don’t recite piece resting on blogs, but I wish to articulate that this write-up fantastically compelled me to obtain a look next to and perform it! Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thank you, same fine post.

29. Delana Smyntek April 24, 2013 at 6:47 am #

Wonderful collection, Eric, appreciate it. Bookmarked and shared :)

30. matura przecieki polski April 30, 2013 at 11:26 pm #

I might make Confident I ran the chassis Do VIN prior to purchase . Would not wish to put lots of time and effort and hard work right into a journey and conclusion up with a stolen part . I’m not implying it truly is a negative portion , but because they say buyer beware .

31. Jimmy Choo Discount May 1, 2013 at 3:15 am #

I felt like saying “could you just not tell me what I weigh, sir?” But then I pictured him thinking I had some sort of eating disorder. The message of friendship overcomes is lost on the shallow characters despite the constant reminders from them that, yes, their friendship will win because they said so..

32. ibiza 2013 May 1, 2013 at 6:58 am #

I have observed that online degree is getting popular because accomplishing your college degree online has changed into a popular selection for many people. Numerous people have not had a chance to attend an established college or university however seek the improved earning possibilities and career advancement that a Bachelor Degree grants. Still some others might have a qualification in one training but would like to pursue one thing they now have an interest in.

33. I thought about this May 3, 2013 at 9:10 pm #

Generally I do not learn article on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very pressured me to take a look at and do so! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thank you, quite great article.

34. Don May 4, 2013 at 12:19 am #

Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you writing this post and also the rest of the site is really good.

35. Jeramy Fleites May 14, 2013 at 4:06 pm #

Hi! I know this is kinda off topic but I’d figured I’d ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest authoring a blog post or vice-versa? My blog discusses a lot of the same topics as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other. If you’re interested feel free to shoot me an e-mail. I look forward to hearing from you! Great blog by the way!

36. milfcams June 11, 2013 at 2:10 pm #

What a lovely post – you’ve really made me miss New Zealand! I would love to go for a wander somewhere with such a beautiful rural setting!

37. Janay Aills September 21, 2014 at 6:47 am #

My heart broke when they zoomed in on Nando’s face at the beginning on the match. He looked so sad. I honestly thought he’d come in after the 70th minute or so. I’d like for him to see some action in Munich.

38. spicejet promo codes September 27, 2014 at 3:18 am #

The thoughts put up by you in this blog is quite relevant and comprehensive.

1. PhotoCine News - The definitive destination for Micro Movie Production. - May 27, 2010

[...] Chase Jarvis is an inspirational guy. He inspires a lot of photographers through his blog, as a speaker and by the kind of work he does. He seems to have found the perfect client in Russell Investments who commissioned him to shoot inspirational short films as promotional tools: Both these 4 minute documentaries are shorts in film series I’ve been commissioned to create for Russell Investments. I’m exploring topics… like Innovation and Change, as seen in these videos, but also ideas around Risk, Planning, and beyond. The rest of the films can be found here. Please check them out. My goal has been to make this series insightful and beautiful. – Chase Jarvis Blog [...]

2. VEGA — Inspiration – Soren Sorenson - December 30, 2010