Making Of The Speedo Underwater Ad Campaign

Thought you’d get a kick out of this video that takes the latest Speedo advertising campaign from ideation to creation. I wish it went a whole bunch deeper (pun), but it’s certainly enough to get my attention. Hope you dig. The underwater studio at Pinewood (0:42) is really dope. (I’m jealous…wish I’d have hired that pool for this work I did a while back…)

Also–since the vid doesn’t give any real love to the photographer–It’s my pleasure to do so… It’s been great to discover photographer Martin Brent from this. Check out his work when you get a second – some stellar stuff. Still shot from the campaign after the jump.

martin brent for speedo
[btw, I like the stills and I really like the motion (which I don't think was a part of the campaign, but rather just for this video...can we see more?]

Thx fstoppers.

35 Responses to Making Of The Speedo Underwater Ad Campaign

1. Joe July 21, 2010 at 6:19 am #

So awesome! Keep on inspiring!

2. SACHA July 21, 2010 at 6:26 am #

Thank you so much for giving us this inside view!! It is inspiring to see what you can do if you think BIG and outside the box!!! Keep it up!! HI, from the lowlands

3. Drew July 21, 2010 at 6:46 am #

Great video, I now see why goofing around in the pool (a prior video) was worth the investment :-)

Thanks for sharing Chase

4. Matt Blonde July 21, 2010 at 7:06 am #

beautiful!

5. Adam July 21, 2010 at 8:07 am #

Awesome video!

6. Donnie Bell Design July 21, 2010 at 8:20 am #

That’s a big time studio. Pretty sweet environment to work in I’m sure.

7. Tim Skipper July 21, 2010 at 8:22 am #

Very cool. So much better than the typical Speedo type campaign.

8. JP Sevillano July 21, 2010 at 8:49 am #

Really stunning.
    Great work !

9. Giovanni Arteaga July 21, 2010 at 10:04 am #

wow. So awesome! I wonder much it cost per hour to rent that pool and does it include the underwater lights and housing. :D

10. Sam July 21, 2010 at 12:33 pm #

Pinewood Studio’s is very impressive! The final image is also amazing.

11. Craig Bolen July 21, 2010 at 2:12 pm #

Really great stuff! Been practicing with my housing outside of surf shooting. Really crazy how water really changes the way you think about lighting and other aspects of photography.

12. OceanLightStudio July 21, 2010 at 2:12 pm #

Creatively cool and both hands are clapping !!!

13. André Weigel July 21, 2010 at 3:29 pm #

Awesome !
    Thank you, for this blog post… cheers !

14. ausberto July 21, 2010 at 3:31 pm #

Awesome stuff!!!

15. Patrick Hall July 21, 2010 at 8:01 pm #

Thanks Chase, this video was great and you’ve been such a big inspiration to us starting fstoppers.com Hope to cross paths some point in the near future!

16. Ghislain July 21, 2010 at 8:02 pm #

FStoppers rock. It’s really a place to communicate and exchange ideas. Actually, I’ll use one of Zack’s expression… It’s a place that after a few minutes just tell you to GOYA and shoot lots of pics… It tells you to stop wasting your time, get your head straight and go out and shoot. Spend time with your toys no matter if pro gear or not but just go out and shoot and have fun! :)

17. Michal Garcia July 21, 2010 at 10:08 pm #

I recently had one of those “I don’t have the right equipment to be creative” weeks, then I got off my butt and shot some stuff in Hong Kong. I think underwater photography is the only place where the excuse actually holds up. Still, I might invest in a point & shoot with an underwater housing and start exploring :-)

18. Jon Harrison July 21, 2010 at 11:37 pm #

Top shoot, top photographer. Having worked with Martin in the past, I really can’t recommend him highly enough, should you ever get the opportunity.

19. Greg Brave July 22, 2010 at 12:03 am #

I wonder if the color effect could be achieved in-camera. Maybe if they tried to spill some color carefully on the water and then swimmer would jump right through this color into the water that would leave a colored trail after him/her.
    Interesting what it would look like… they would have to change the water in the pool after that though :)

Anyway, great shoot!

20. Corporate photographer London July 22, 2010 at 3:02 am #

Love seeing the large softboxes underwater- looked really odd to have them in such an environment. Grant

21. Corporate photographer London July 22, 2010 at 3:06 am #

Had a look at his site- really good variety of work – love the army shot

22. callie lipkin July 22, 2010 at 5:58 am #

Awesome – thanks for posting this Chase!

23. Anthony Perez July 22, 2010 at 7:00 am #

Great mixture of photography and illustration! Think you should get some speedo´s on to help the campaign :P I love the bubbles that appear when the guy jumps in at the end

24. Chris July 22, 2010 at 12:28 pm #

the second I saw there was no HD/720p option, I knew this wasn’t a chase jarvis production.

25. Darren July 22, 2010 at 6:37 pm #

I told you that purple stuff they put in the pools was real. Seriously though looks clean. And I’m sure that was on the todo list. /taking notes…

26. jlmiller July 23, 2010 at 8:34 pm #

too cool

27. Calvin W July 24, 2010 at 2:01 am #

Maybe I’m the only one that doesn’t see any value in this little movie. Photographer + Average Illustrator = campaign. There’s no “how we did this shoot” in the video or anything explanation wise into how they go the right shots, how many hours it took, challenges, etc. I would have like to see it broken down more that’s all. Maybe there’s more that went into a couple swirly color graphics?

• Chase Jarvis July 24, 2010 at 11:39 am #

value depends on what you’re looking for i suppose. i found a lot of value, or else i wouldn’t have posted it.

if you found no value….. did you know that there is an underwater studio that you can rent? did you know that you can fire strobes underwater. did you know that the image in the final ad is a composite? did you learn about who the photographer was? were you familiar with their stellar work already?

28. Jmos6711 July 24, 2010 at 11:57 pm #

love the pool.
    check out this video if you like underwater stuff.
    Think spiderman underwater.

29. Kailash Gyawali July 26, 2010 at 10:35 pm #

very inspiring and I loved the background music, can anybody help to find out where can I get that background music please :)

30. Ken Toney August 3, 2010 at 11:45 am #

I love these types of “how did they do it” videos. Your site is visited daily right along side of Scott Kelby and friends!

31. damir September 7, 2010 at 6:00 am #

I had a chance to look at your underwater shots, sorry but your underwater talent is not worth this studio. Even with snorkel that can be achieved by any photographer who gets a chance to use any underwater housing and has a breath for 15 sec. Additionally your shots can be achieved by mid day light in sea even as the post processing may change everything from a real look to dreamy mood like in Zena Holloway’s work. Martin Brent’s underwater trials are no more than cheap post process looking average shots. very simple. I am a fool for writing this isn’t it? but I am not as I talk if I know the subject. :)

• Chase Jarvis September 7, 2010 at 10:51 am #

thx for the feedback and your opinion damir. I’m glad that you don’t hire photographers (or at least I don’t think you do), and glad that opinions are subjective.

lucky for me that people that do hire photographers actually hire me on a regular basis. whew!

32. damir September 8, 2010 at 2:00 am #

Thanks. According to anyone from their point of view, the others may be subjective right. Please don’t get me wrong, whatever I wrote is about your underwater examples.

By the way don’t worry I am not hiring any photographers and if I would for underwater shots, I definitely would not hire you. There are bunch of good amateur/professional underwater photographers in flickr, who has more creative works and who would give better prices than you/your team and your friend Martin.

I am glad to see you are regularly hired and assuming that you are trying to improve your abilities. Maybe sometime later you will show some masterpieces instead of snapshots that are trying to look cool under the water. This is my (objective according to me and subjective according to you) opinion.

whew! (so…………….?)

1. Campanha Speedo: Estúdio Submarino! - Dodô Villar - July 21, 2010

[...] : Ensaios em 21.jul, 2010 Estava acompanhando o blog do Chase Jarvis, um famoso fotógrafo americano, e ele tinha acabado de postar esse video incrível. Um Estúdio [...]