Go Figure: New York Times Shooting Phantom Cameras

NYT tennis
You recall that fancy 1000 frames per second cinema camera called the Phantom that I love so much (that was the feature camera from this project)? Well they’ve got a new one out…the Phantom Flex and it shoots 1250 fps now at full 1080 HD.

Well the New York Times Magazine (that’s right, editorial….) is shooting motion these days. Renowned Director of Photography there, Kathy Ryan, hired photographer Dewey Nicks to shoot some tennis stars.

Although not “new”, this is beautiful stuff. And best of all, they are using this badass camera in the editorial context. Gotta love that. Gotta. Freakin. Loveit.

NYT doesn’t allow embeds of the vids, so check them out HERE.

Another screen shot after the jump…

[Thanks for the tip, Lou.]

21 Responses to Go Figure: New York Times Shooting Phantom Cameras

1. g August 27, 2010 at 10:42 am #

gotta figure how the still images turns out. noisy? or totally badass?
    1250 FPS…. what a crazy shutter speed.
    looking for more infos on that one, that’s insane!

G

2. Alex cornes August 27, 2010 at 10:48 am #

Chase…. You Americans are lagging! Last week I assisted the DOP on a shoot for Lacoste trainers with the Photron camera. Thats the 2000 frames per second HD 1080P camera. We were also shooting with 99,000W lights…

Need I say more.

• Publius August 27, 2010 at 11:20 pm #

Lagging? America has had cameras capable of 10000 fps since the forties :)
      They were used to film atomic test detonations, which amount to 80 trillion watt-second flashes.

3. Sam August 27, 2010 at 11:18 am #

amazing pics

4. favian August 27, 2010 at 11:18 am #

the video is amazing. i love the way the camera captures every aspect of the body in motion. it’s beautiful.

5. Dwayne D.C. Tucker August 27, 2010 at 11:59 am #

How could you not love it!!!!
    I watched those vids about 5 times just now lol. I’m such a nerd..
    But the direction of where everything is head scares me a bit but it’s a good scare because so much creativity just ran through my mind for new shoots. I’ve been shooting crazy here with new works in the shell Chase. My time to shine is coming soon. But keep things like this coming to add to my hustle big bro!

Amazing!

DT.
    Nassau, Bahamas | Miami, Florida

P.S.

Tell Scott he did an awesome write up with the retouch post the other day..I’m not sure if I commented on it or not so I’m going to do it here :)

6. amber snow August 27, 2010 at 12:26 pm #

holy crap that is awesome.

7. Bertrand August 27, 2010 at 1:17 pm #

I’ve seen that! Splendid! Yeah Kim Clijster from Belgium :o )

8. a girl and a camera photography August 27, 2010 at 1:47 pm #

Beautiful indeed!

9. Terence Tam August 27, 2010 at 11:19 pm #

You know, I keep telling my boss we need one at work, for filming “drop tests”. He just laughs.

(Casio EX-F1 is about the only commercially priced camera that can do HS Videos. BTW, how much does it cost to *rent* one of these bad boys for a day?)

10. Charlie Clift August 28, 2010 at 5:53 am #

The BBC do this loads during their coverage of Wimbledon, and they record the images live during the games. I’m not sure what the speed of recording is, but it’s very very slow motion and it looks amazing.

11. Pam August 29, 2010 at 4:54 pm #

As a photographer and tennis freak I have to say F*&$#k yeah. Amazing. Really beautiful.

12. Jules August 30, 2010 at 11:05 am #

Now that’s an expensive editorial shoot. I know those Phantoms are damn expensive to rent ($3000-4000 per day). Not to mention you must have a certified operator when renting them.

13. Donnie Bell Design August 30, 2010 at 4:14 pm #

Makes you appreciate the form and motion of the human body. It’s as if every movement is a symphony in itself.

14. James September 2, 2010 at 7:38 am #

holy crap – that’s amazing. The human form as it goes through the stressors of the game – simply astounding.

15. alluremm September 25, 2010 at 9:34 am #

The Phantom @ a price range of $50k – $150k is not bad. I have cinema acquaintance over seas sitting on a $750k+ camera after the studio folded which is quickly becoming obsolete… 2yr cycles have turned into 2mo cycles.

16. seo lead generation September 10, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

What i don’t realize is in truth how you’re not really a lot more well-liked than you might be right now. You’re very intelligent. You already know therefore significantly with regards to this topic, produced me in my view imagine it from a lot of various angles. Its like women and men are not fascinated unless it is one thing to do with Woman gaga! Your individual stuffs excellent. Always maintain it up!

17. Veterinarian Albuquerque March 9, 2014 at 10:03 am #

If you want to become an equine veterinarian, the
    most crucial thing that you must think about is you must be extremely in love with horses.

Congratulations Oak Animal Hospital for winning the Consumers Choice Award for best veterinarian in Vancouver for the 6th year in a row.
    These are all questions you should ask the clinic in advance.

18. Albuquerque Animal Hospital March 13, 2014 at 10:08 pm #

The homeowner or renter looking for a house sitter doesn’t pay to search these websites, but those looking
    for house sitting jobs do. Regardless of where you stay you would be able to find a good plumber if you start the search from the internet.
    About the author, Toronto Plumber is a specialist in installing and maintaining
    systems used for drinking water, sewage, and drainage.

1. El NY Times filma a 1250fps en FullHD - August 28, 2010

[...] lo que leo en este artículo de Chase Jarvis el New York Times está usando cámaras Phantom, precisamente la nueva Phantom Flex que permite [...]

2. ExquisiteLines » The Beauty of the Power Game - September 2, 2010

[...] You need to check this out. I found this in a post on Chase Jarvis’ blog. [...]