6 Weeks Out – What Happens When Launching a Book [Vlog]

Last week when I announced my newest book, Seattle 100: Portrait of a City, I promised to blog, vlog, report and otherwise share the behind-the-scenes process of what it’s been like so far in taking this project to print AND what’s going on in these final weeks prior to the official “launch”. Lots to report. My hope is that this can help anybody who is heading into a book project or perhaps considering it…

Hundreds of questions poured this week about the process, so in this chasejarvis CURRENT video I recorded last night at 1am, I tackle a handful of those questions and rattle on a bit about what’s going on this week. Bear with me on my yapping. It was late. I was knackered. I’ll be doing one of these every week till the book hits shelves in October, so lemme know what you want to hear more

about… Lastly, I just found out that Seattle 100 is the #2 Black & White photography book selling at Amazon right now, and #1 in Photography Travel section. Check it:

[Update: Since posting this--thanks to you--we're now #1 in b/w and #1 in travel AND #9 in Digital Photography. Majorly humbled and thank you!]

chase jarvis seattle 100 amazon

Huge huge thanks to all you who are purchasing. I’d be so grateful if book stayed high in those rankings…for if you remember, all my proceeds go to 4culture.org. Let’s raise some money for a good cause.

Buy Seattle 100: Portrait of a Cityfrom Amazon.

46 Responses to 6 Weeks Out – What Happens When Launching a Book [Vlog]

1. Martin September 9, 2010 at 2:21 pm #

Very cool; Congrats man

2. Josh Haygood September 9, 2010 at 2:27 pm #

Great stuff chase! Are you going to post previews of the book while we wait for our orders to ship?

• Chase Jarvis September 10, 2010 at 11:21 am #

yes – plan to post some of the guts of the book over the next few weeks..

3. Daryl September 9, 2010 at 2:28 pm #

Awesomeness! Congrats man! Can’t wait to get my hands on one.

4. Kenna Klosterman September 9, 2010 at 2:33 pm #

you’ve done it again Chase! thank you for allowing us to have a realtime peek into your publishing/launch process as you continue to spread the love for creative education to the masses.

along with making the book accessible at $26, it’s ultra fab that you are donating your proceeds to 4culture.org! love love love 4culture.

Happy to help get the new space ready for the show & launch party on 10/21! : )

Nice teaser on Seattle 100 wine & chocolate – yum!

5. Vince September 9, 2010 at 3:13 pm #

THANKS for sharing!!! Look forward to the book

6. Carl Licari September 9, 2010 at 3:43 pm #

What were you using for a mic to record this vid?
    Looking forward to the book! Love SEA!!

• Chase Jarvis September 10, 2010 at 11:21 am #

just the apple headset that comes with iphone…it’s what’s dangling outta my ear.

7. Trevor Rideout September 9, 2010 at 3:56 pm #

Hey Chase… Congrats on the book man! Can’t wait to check it out.

Just wanted to let you know that I am advocating the idea of creativity – with a camera phone… Obviously not professionally, but the idea that people are getting lazier when they make pictures bugs me… I love the accessability but I would love to see more people think about the image they want to create. Be it with a camera phone or Hasselblad.

Check out my recent post on the blog… I gave you mad credit and even included your B&H link for people to check out and purchase gear. My site sees sometimes 200 people in a day, so I hope it will help, even if in the most insignifcant way.

Here’s the link to the post..

Cheers Man,
    Trevor D. Rideout

8. Sam September 9, 2010 at 4:09 pm #

Can’t wait for the book.

9. Jules September 9, 2010 at 5:26 pm #

As someone who worked with a literary agent for many months to find a publisher for a photography-based book, I can say that those of us not at your level of popularity have a much harder time even getting a publisher to notice us. Mush less make an offer. Luckily the hard work payed off and I managed to get a book deal and will be releasing it likely This time in 2011.

As for book production, how much of the design and/or layout did you have input into?

When you did price negotiations to lower it to something you felt people would be more comfortable paying, did you end up making compromises on the book? Cutting # of images or pages? Less copy? Cheaper printing stock? Lowering your commission?

• Chase Jarvis September 10, 2010 at 11:25 am #

first, congrats on getting your book deal. very cool.

second. we were 100% in charge of book design. thanks to my publisher peach pit/pearson. we maintained 100% creative control.

with regard to pricing, it was a pretty simple equation – i was only going to sign with a publisher that would support this kind of pricing. I did put a personal guarantee on the book that it would sell a minimum, but again, my publisher was so cool about this…they GET it. we’re a part of a movement, a tidal wave of people who want to be creative. it’s a new era. (ie read daniel pink’s book “a whole new mind”)

• Jules September 13, 2010 at 11:29 am #

Thanks! I will say that my publisher, Schiffer Books has been very flexible with me in the design area. I’ll own about 95% of it and will have full approval of anything they do. So I feel great about that. I’m glad that you pointed out that published book projects take FOREVER to accomplish. When all is said and done, it’ll have taken about 2.5 years for me to get this book on shelves from the first day I made the concept.

I’ll very likely be at the show opening, so see ya then.

10. Jack Pope September 9, 2010 at 5:52 pm #

Thanks for the update.

Question: If you were to approach a publishing company, who in the company would you contact/how would you present your idea?

• Chase Jarvis September 10, 2010 at 11:27 am #

i’d have a well developed idea and documentation of why it would be a good business move for the publisher. ie, you have a large online audience or a special knowledge or area of expertise that’s under represented in the mainstream… if you can get an “inside contact” that’s even better…someone who works in publishing, or a literary agent, etc, your chance will be better…

11. adam September 9, 2010 at 7:37 pm #

Vitamin R, snot and publishing; keep on rockin’ in the freeworld, you’re making me tired just lookin’ at ya. I’m gonna live vicariously through you, keep it up, rock on man! (Seriously, some day your example will get me off my butt…) Until then….

12. Mike September 9, 2010 at 11:14 pm #

Congrats on the book! I’ve been following you for a while now and it’s great to see this come to fruition three years later. I’ll definitely be picking up a book and hope to make it to the release on Oct 21st here in Seattle!

13. Photo Soren September 9, 2010 at 11:32 pm #

Thanks Chase and congratulation with your book publishing promotion – I think you have the most powerful mechanisms in place for your marketing and awareness rising to your new book.

Your vid record makes me reflect on the big difference between the books I have had published (+20, of which around ten mainly with my own photos as illustrations) and this photography based book about Seattle 100: Portrait of a City.

As I understand it the main difference is if the book’s ‘message’ is mainly the photography or it is the information that is delivered with the combination of the text and the pictures. In essence this seems to be the difference between mainly an art project like in your photography project ending with Seattle 100: Portrait of a City or an information delivery project, in most of my cases for educational purpose.

This difference is also important for the book promotion and whole marketing issue around the book. While in my cases it has always been AFTER the publication of the book, in your case much is done in advance of the publication of your photography book.

Marketing of photography books might be crucial just around the time of publication to help create an awareness of the ‘new thing’ while for educational information books it might be (a little more) the test of time if they are working in practice and readers are contend with their contribution to learn and understand the issue.

I will see if I can fit your book into a case story I can use in my ezine Stock Photo News about pictures and marketing – if any are interested you can see examples here http://www.stockphotonews.com

Good luck with your Seattle book

Soren Breiting
    Denmark
    Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/sorenbreiting

14. MadCancerDad September 10, 2010 at 1:28 am #

Love the book, but I would like the proceeds to benefit something rather than “the arts”, that is so cliche I guess. How about spending some time in a pediatric oncology ward in Seatle, or finding some local kid and their family? September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month.

• Chase Jarvis September 10, 2010 at 11:30 am #

thanks for your thoughts. i’ve done a lot with giving money/time to cancer (both my parents are survivors and it has claimed 3 of my grandparents)… but that said, i felt that a photo book on culture was better suited to give back to arts and culture… after all the org is called 4culture.org. AND they’re a great org. I couldn’t resist.

15. Daniele September 10, 2010 at 2:24 am #

Congrats for the book!! I’ll look up for it on amazon…i don’t know if i can find it here in italy.

Anyway, chase….were u drunk?! Lol, great video it’s always a pleasure to watch you!

• Chase Jarvis September 10, 2010 at 11:31 am #

no daniele. i wish i was. i was just super tired and sick. it was 1am and we’d been working since 7am

16. Michelle September 10, 2010 at 5:52 am #

I have a question for you! How does your family deal with you being away a lot? Do they get to go on these trips with you at all?

• Chase Jarvis September 10, 2010 at 11:32 am #

my wife kate is our executive producer, so we get to spend a lot of time together. no kids in the mix either….

17. IPBrian September 10, 2010 at 6:39 am #

Chase,
    You are a MASTER of self promotion! I love it! P.T. Barnum would be proud. Congrats on the book.

• Chase Jarvis September 10, 2010 at 11:34 am #

i guess this is a compliment, but i’m not sure how this is self promo when I’ve just spent the last 3 years of my life doing a book about other creative people, completely funded the project by myself 100% … to the tune of some serious $, and I’m giving all the money away to support the arts. aren’t i promoting culture, art, and 100 other people?

18. Ricky September 10, 2010 at 8:37 am #

Purchased a copy a few days ago (Pre order)

Just letting you know some sellers seem to be selling more than others…

19. Donnie Bell Design September 10, 2010 at 9:44 am #

Writing any book is a long, arduous process. But you made it through, congrats. And can we get an excerpt to check out?

20. Chase Jarvis September 10, 2010 at 11:35 am #

yes. excerpts coming this week. reminder this is primarily a photo/art book. there are less than 10,000 words…

21. Keri September 10, 2010 at 12:11 pm #

Looking forward to getting my hands on a copy in the UK, shame amazon UK charge us $10 more for a copy !

It would be really cool if amazon had the “Look Inside” feature on the book so we could get an advance sneak peak :-)

Keep up the great work, love your work and all the behind the scenes stuff / video blogs you and your team share with us.

K.

22. Crash Taylor September 10, 2010 at 2:32 pm #

Just pre-ordered the book from the UK.

Keep up the awesome work Mr Jarvis!

Late,
    Crash

23. Andymac September 11, 2010 at 11:56 am #

Hey bro, Awesome work!

just hooked onto you a few weeks back and have gorged on your video’s and blogs, you really have a great way at presenting and explaining your workings, respect mate!
    I just wanted some advice if you have a moment to spare?

My wife is a photographer and at present we are traveling around France shooting a new book which will be released next october, my passion for photography is growing by the day, as I’m with my wife all day i get to see the process from start to finish, its awesome and its very inspiring, but i want to document the project using my NIKON D90 and my Canon Legria HFS10 HD so I can make her a cool video of the trip, and hopefully use some for the promotion footage, (if I can make a decent job of it).

I have a reasonably understanding of a camera and of course Im learning daily from my wife about the basics, but i need help on how to shoot and what to shoot when creating a video about a photography project.

I hope you can help me out in anyway?

Apart from my wife, your a huge inspiration bro, Im addicted.

Merci pour votre temps

Andy

24. David Haut September 11, 2010 at 12:22 pm #

Chase – you’re the man – and your creative vision has inspired me. I’ve been trying to put together a similar project, self-based, after having open heart surgery at 25. I’m now fulfilling a lifelong dream of competing in my first ever endurance event next month. Your book has inspired me to get my ass in gear and finish documenting this stuff in addition to training. Thanks man. Anxious for the book.

Oh, and question: what kind of beer were you drinking? You’ve got some killer microbrews up in that area.

25. Hiram September 12, 2010 at 1:53 am #

Chase, I just saw your vid on the blog and ordered the book. Thanks for blogging about it and for making such a wonderful project happen.

Any news about an electronic copy?

26. jeremy mayhew September 13, 2010 at 9:29 am #

its nice to see you in “real” form, it reminds me that is ok to work till all hours of the morning, sick, unshowered and dishoveled…I’m looking forward to this book, the stevens pass book has been my idea book for alot of what i shoot, maybe someday they will make a pocket version of it that i can carry around with me.

hoping to hear/see more about video from you using nikons. i’ve been following Philp bloom for a while, but he’s all Canon, and your my nikon Guru, so please do some peices on shooting video with nikon when you get a chance? You can see some of my frail video attemps using a d300s here:

27. adam September 13, 2010 at 5:48 pm #

Pre-ordered your book today, plus the best cam & duChemin’s on the 3′fer deal on Amazon. Thanks Chase and Co. for all your posting here, it works as an incredible resource for teaching high school photograph. Keep ‘er up.

28. Alvin September 15, 2010 at 6:49 am #

Hey chase, Just pre-ordered your book from Amazon. But yes. if anyone is interested, you can get it in borders store here. I got my best camera book there. =) Cheers. Love the work you do man. =)

29. Niels September 15, 2010 at 12:01 pm #

What do you think about publishing “Seatle 100″ as an iBook for the iPad?

30. Republic Monetary September 16, 2010 at 10:11 am #

Great stuff – congrats!

31. nick wilson September 18, 2010 at 8:50 am #

chase –
    i have been wanting to create a book for some time – i love the concept of this one and can’t wait to see it. i have never been to seattle but for some reason i’ve had this urge to visit – it just sounds like an awesome place to be. i added a link to your site in the sidebar of my blog as a reminder of where i want to be when i am talking about my ten years of hard work – thanks for giving me someone to look up to!!!
    peace.
    nick

32. Kari J. Blunck September 19, 2010 at 3:16 pm #

Hi Chase,
    My friend Ben sent me your D7000 YouTube videos after I told him I wanted to get a D7000… I love the “Benevolent Mischief” Video!! I just pre-ordered your book at 4am today through Amazon!! I also ordered your iphone photography book. I’m inspired by you and your team, you guys are awesome!! :) Looking forward to receiving your books and hoping to attend your October 21st event!! : ) Kari

33. Rosalind October 2, 2010 at 5:51 am #

I LOVE the idea of your book, am having to wait until it’s released in the UK …..but might work on my swim stroke and endurance for a cross channel swim…next summer!

34. Manual Pozzobon January 13, 2012 at 6:15 am #

I do like the way you have framed this particular matter and it does offer me a lot of fodder for consideration. However, from what I have seen, I only wish as the actual opinions pack on that folks continue to be on issue and don’t start upon a soap box associated with the news du jour. Anyway, thank you for this outstanding piece and though I can not concur with the idea in totality, I regard the standpoint.

1. Tasty Holiday Tidings: Seattle 100 Book, Chocolate & Wine | Chase Jarvis Blog - December 16, 2010

[...] – all my proceeds go to non-profit http://www.4culture.org). I’ve alluded to it in some posts before, but as a side creative outlet and fun promotion we collaborated with two partners and created some [...]