Introducing My New Book… Seattle 100: Portrait of a City

Chase Jarvis book Seattle 100: Portrait of a CityFriends! It’s been a long time coming, but today it gives me great pleasure to introduce to you my third book, titled Seattle 100: Portrait of a City.. From the back cover:

Seattle 100: Portrait of a City is the culmination of a three-year personal project by renowned photographer, filmmaker, and social artist Chase Jarvis. Both a creative project and an insightful ethnography, Seattle 100 shares—via more than 300 stunning black-and-white portraits and biographies of each subject—a curated collection of artists, musicians, writers, scientists, restaurateurs, DJs, developers, activists, entrepreneurs, filmmakers, and more, all of whom are defining and driving culture in Seattle. Some faces you will know, other names you may have heard in passing, and others still have been unknown to you until now. What’s common among them is that they are all innovators, leaders, trendsetters, and pathfinders in their own way.

With this book, Jarvis has carved out perhaps the first ever snapshot of a city’s culture through its people. And it’s inclusive. Descriptive rather than prescriptive. It’s a 100, not an exclusive the 100, and it invites each of us to survey our own surroundings, our lives, our friends—and those not yet our friends—that make up the place we all live, whether that’s Seattle or anywhere else. Individually, the images and words here introduce you to 100 engaging and important people. Collectively, this portrait of a city tells a fascinating, interwoven story about a unique and vibrant place.

Beyond the photos and commentary by Jarvis, there are pithy musings by a select handful of subjects on the topics of art, food, community, region, culture, and film. In addition, each of the subjects shares their favorite things, places, and doings in and around the Seattle that they have explored, discovered, and rediscovered time and again.

So that’s a summary. But there’s 3 important points I’d love to share with you.

1. Behind the Scenes. In an attempt to continue to pull back the curtain, from NOW till launch I will be blogging regularly, video blogging AND answering all your questions that come in via blog post comments, my @chasejarvis Twitter handle, and Facebook page, about the process of making a book. All the steps between today’s announcement and the launch of the book… So ASK AWAY! Nothing is off limits…the press stuff, the promo videos, the closed-door meetings, as well as the craziness leading up to the launch of…get this…an entire Seattle 100 website and the curating and hanging of the Seattle 100 gallery exhibitions, opening in October. If I can legally share it, I will.

2. The book is available for purchase NOW. Please buy a copy today. It will not ship until it hits warehouses on October 10, but the print run is limited and the publisher, Peach Pit/New Riders (Division of Pearson) expects it to sell out quickly. It’s a hardback book, 240 pages, 10″x10″. The publisher initially suggested a retail price to be $70, but thanks to their willingness to help make this book more broadly accessible, we agreed to a suggested retail price of $39.99. BUT, if you buy from one of the online retailers below, you can pick up this book for $26 bucks. Yes. A large format, hard backed art book for $26 bucks. And the kicker? I am donating 100% of my artist proceeds from this book to the amazing non-profit arts and culture organization www.4culture.org. So if you buy the book, you get art and you help support the arts.

Buy from Amazon online here: Seattle 100: Portrait of a City
Buy from Barnes & Noble online here: Seattle 100: Portrait of a City
Buy from Borders online here: Seattle 100: Portrait of a City

3. A few of the images from the project–but not necessarily the ones in the book–can be seen via this gallery on my site: Chase Jarvis Seattle 100.

And the Seattle Times had a nice, substantial writeup that nailed the front page here…check it: Seattle Times on Chase Jarvis and Seattle 100.

Looking forward to turning this process inside out over the next 8 weeks. Thanks for all your support. First look at a stack of proofs after the jump

chase jarvis seattle 100 proofs snapshot

55 Responses to Introducing My New Book… Seattle 100: Portrait of a City

1. Cole B September 1, 2010 at 11:00 am #

That’s very exciting Chase. I’ve been using your Bestcam app for almost a year now, and find your posts relevant and interesting for a small town photographer in Canada. I would love to slap your book on my credit card – but I will keep it in mind for when my book budget is out of the red! In the mean time, a RT :)

2. Viveca Koh September 1, 2010 at 11:02 am #

Congratulations on the culmination of three years’ hard work – it must be thrilling to see your work in print! Will look out for this on Amazon, and best of luck with sales – will do you a RT now :)

3. Chris Cookley September 1, 2010 at 11:07 am #

Great! I’m definitely excited about this. Any idea why Borders is not offering it at the discounted $26 price?

• Chase September 5, 2010 at 2:17 pm #

no idea… not sure about Borders pricing models. I just know that Amazon and B&N take about 33% off cover price.

4. Stephen September 1, 2010 at 11:15 am #

Congrats on the completion of the book–just added it to my Amazon wish-list for my next buying binge–cant wait to read the behind the scenes postings

5. Qua Veda September 1, 2010 at 11:20 am #

Wonderful !! looking forward to laying my hands on it

6. nick lopez September 1, 2010 at 11:20 am #

Congrats buddy. Can’t wait to get it.

7. Chase September 1, 2010 at 11:21 am #

Congrats on the book, Chase. Look forward to viewing it.

Question – You have been active in promoting people gathering and sharing, photography, arts, fellowship.

What is culture to you? Strictly art/creative related? Why the passion for promoting it?

Thanks for sharing all you do with the world, its much needed.

• Chase September 5, 2010 at 2:18 pm #

I promote creativity because i think a more creative world is a better world.

• Chase September 10, 2010 at 7:31 am #

Ditto and thanks for the further expounding on the vlog. Off to order the book.

8. Anonymous September 1, 2010 at 11:52 am #

Congrats on your book chase can we buy your book in uk

• Chase September 1, 2010 at 2:02 pm #

yes. via amazon.co.uk search seattle 100 or my name.

• bobska September 1, 2010 at 11:53 pm #

thanks very much i am on the case lol

9. Gerardo September 1, 2010 at 12:32 pm #

That’s great chase, congratulations!!!!!! that’s awseome, i’m from México; do you think that your book could arrive to México????? i expect yes, because you’re a great photographer and i want to have all of your books. Intersting…

• Chase September 1, 2010 at 2:03 pm #

yes. via amazon. not sure if you have it there, but us amazon shouldmail there.

10. PHILIPP September 1, 2010 at 12:34 pm #

Hy chase – Contrats on the book – great work! just pre-ordered!

11. Chad Adams September 1, 2010 at 12:47 pm #

I cant wait to get the book it looks amazing! little off the subject, do you plan on putting your interviews up on line for later viewing? I get pumped up and excited about taking pictures when I hear the individuals talk about their careers and how they got started.

• Chase September 1, 2010 at 2:03 pm #

yes. all interviews will be dispersed throughout the launch and into the holidays for your viewing pleasure.

12. Tim Skipper September 1, 2010 at 1:37 pm #

Congrats on your book. Hope this is something we will see more of from you.

13. James Stoneley September 1, 2010 at 2:15 pm #

Fantastic, I’m going to order my copy right away. I live in the UK and may never even visit Seattle but I’m fascinated by the concept of viewing a city and it’s cultural landscape through the lives of its people. I’m sure it will stand as not only a snapshot of the Seattle of 2010 for years to come, but will also act as a cultural roadmap to the city for many. It is so easy for people to live in a place but not really know it and not connect with its culture, this book will let people view the city through fresh eyes. Maybe it will inspire people to do the same in their hometowns.

Good work Chase.

14. Marcos G. Meider September 1, 2010 at 4:26 pm #

Great idea Chase and hope the book is a total success.
    Just wanted to point out that Cliff McGrath has an extraordinary look like Pablo Picasso. Have you realized?. Regards from Malaga, where Picasso was born. ;-)

15. Sam September 1, 2010 at 5:04 pm #

I will be getting this book ASAP.

16. douwe September 1, 2010 at 6:15 pm #

Hey Chase. Congratulations on your book. That is great news! Always loved your Seattle 100 photos.

I’m really curious how you edited and arranged these photos. I saw some footage of this in the Seattle times video. It must be hard to find the right order for so many pictures. Would love to hear you speak about that.

17. brett maxwell September 1, 2010 at 6:32 pm #

What a terrific deal at $26! I pre-ordered mine from Amazon, but it says not to expect it until mid-October :(

18. brian sullivan September 1, 2010 at 6:42 pm #

Ordered! Will the gallery opening be at 4Culture? I’ll be in town for an opening in pioneer sq on Oct 14th – hope I can see it then . . .

19. lisa b hammond September 1, 2010 at 9:58 pm #

Congratulations Chase- Its been 3 years of work and well worth the effort!

20. mike September 2, 2010 at 12:46 am #

This is one of my favourite collections of yours Chase and absolutely warrants some gallery time, congratulations on seeing it through.

Question – I’m interested in how you went about finding + choosing your subjects? I’m guessing many were known to you but what about those who weren’t?

21. Bruce September 2, 2010 at 3:27 am #

I understand Photographer and Director but what is a Social Artist?

Congrats on the book.

22. Dale Reubin September 2, 2010 at 7:40 am #

Looking forward to it Chase!

23. Jesus Hidalgo September 2, 2010 at 9:03 am #

That is so awesome, how exciting to see the fruit of a three year labor!
    I really wish you the best of lucks with it.
    Keep up the good work!

24. Alex September 2, 2010 at 9:45 am #

Congrats buddy. It must feel incredible to get this project out of your head and into the world. Gonna run and order the book now before it sells out.

Big ups to the entire CJ crew – it takes a village…

25. Eric Von Lehmden September 2, 2010 at 2:21 pm #

Chase, congrats man. At what point in your process did you start looking for a publisher and what was that process like. Did they interview you and look at concept photos? I would love to hear about the process of having the idea to finding someone to publish it.

great job man and congrats on it all – eric

26. Pepijn September 2, 2010 at 3:12 pm #

Hi Chase,

Got no questions at the moment, but just wanted to congrats you with your new book.
    Also I really liked reading the interview, to get some bio-information of the Chase jarvis. thanks for sharing!

Pepijn

27. AJ September 2, 2010 at 10:35 pm #

Congratulations! Great work. I definitely need to get my hands on a copy.

28. Jonathan September 2, 2010 at 10:50 pm #

great work mate, any australian stores we can buy it from?

29. john hildebrand September 3, 2010 at 12:39 am #

wow made proops i have been working on a book for about 2 years its so much work. can’t wait to see the book goodman

30. Thatcher September 3, 2010 at 10:08 am #

Congrats! I don’t see how you do all that you do. But I’m thankful for all that you do!!

Q:
    • Did you contact a publisher or did a publisher contact you?
    • How long did it take from being talked about to actually being printed?
    • Who designed the book layout?
    * How many are printed?
    • How much will you get from each book sale?
    • Do you ever sleep?

31. Donnie Bell Design September 3, 2010 at 2:09 pm #

Very cool. It sounds like a very interesting read. I think I’ll pick up a copy.

32. David in Seattle September 4, 2010 at 12:45 am #

Awesome! I will definately buy this book! Can’t wait for it to arrive! Congrats Chase!

33. James Bunch September 4, 2010 at 6:07 am #

Hey man, the preview shots look great. It’s great this is finally coming out, I know you have been talking about it for a while, glad it’s here.

Quick question, How did you decided on who you would photograph and then find them? You have such a diverse and seemingly background group of people (with some that are very much in the foreground of society). I remember once you talked about the guy who is a truffle picker and the shot of his feet, those stories, how did you get connected with those kinds of stories?

34. Maximilian Fischer September 9, 2010 at 2:46 pm #

Congrats Chase!
    I want it :-)

35. Jennifer Squires September 11, 2010 at 11:17 am #

congratulations chase! i’ve learnt so much from you! thank you so much for sharing your insights with the world! you’ve actually inspired me to start prying open the lid of the photography industry in my area.

-was your first book, stevens pass, self published? if so, where did you have it done?
    -i’d love to hear more about how you approach galleries. what sort of package do you send them?
    -have you been sending out traditional press releases? how have you been getting the attention of the media?

i agree with thatcher – do you ever sleep?

36. Todd Rutherford September 16, 2010 at 11:08 am #

Congratulations on your new book. It looks very promising. Let me know if you need help promoting it.

37. Andrew November 4, 2010 at 2:01 pm #

Chase -Congrats and do you have advice on getting a picture docu book published for a 1st timer?

38. James Milne November 7, 2010 at 11:31 pm #

Simple comment.

James Stoneley said “Maybe it will inspire people to do the same in their hometowns.”

I will say It has, and leave it at that. Thanks Chase, great work.

Jim.

39. Brooke Maier April 10, 2014 at 8:55 pm #

Bethel Woods Performing Arts in White Lake,NYbr /The original Woodstock 69 internet site!br /They have got a fantastic Woodstock museum! what an awesome put for Jerrys legend to dwell on!

1. Chase Jarvis Announces his New Book, Seattle 100: Portrait of a … | 文心阁博客 - September 1, 2010

[...] this link: Chase Jarvis Announces his New Book, Seattle 100: Portrait of a … 此条目发表在 未分类 分类目录,贴了 chase, culmination, portrait, [...]

2. Seattle 100, ein Fotobuch von Chase Jarvis | visuelleGedanken.de - September 3, 2010

[...] Kurze Meldung zwischendurch. Chase Jarvis bringt im Oktober sein drittes Buch raus. Seattle 100. [...]

3. Chase Jarvis launced Seattle 100 | Geert Janssens - September 7, 2010

[...] out this link for more information. This entry was posted in Publications. Bookmark the [...]

4. News & Events : Spring Hill Restaurant & Bar : West Seattle - October 12, 2010

[...] was asked by Chase Jarvis to be part of his Seattle 100: Portrait of a City book.  This book is amazing and so much fun!  What an honor for Mark to be part of this [...]

5. News & Events : Spring Hill Restaurant & Bar : West Seattle - October 12, 2010

[...] was asked by Chase Jarvis to be part of his Seattle 100: Portrait of a City book (Mark’s on page 36…).  This book is amazing and so much fun!  What an honor for [...]

6. Chase Jarvis – Seattle 100: Portrait of a City - October 16, 2010

[...] halvanden måned siden smed Chase Jarvis en ny bog på gaden, nemlig Seattle 100: Portrait of a City (Voices That Matter). Og siden har jeg faktisk gået og været lidt lun på at få mine fingre i den. I dag tog jeg så [...]

7. Thoughts on Linchpin and Photography » Ahmed Eid - November 23, 2010

[...] they can transport people to new worlds and into interesting stories. A good example of this is Chase Jarvis’s “Seattle 100″ project. Chase profiled 100 of Seattle’s finest and told their stories through one picture and a few [...]

8. Thoughts on Linchpin Creating Your Art | Ahmed Eid 365 - January 2, 2011

9. OCTOBER 2010 - January 14, 2011

[...] Seattle 100: Portrait of a City is the culmination of a three-year personal project by renowned phot… [...]