Nikon D7000: Benevolent Mischief Remix [music video]

Thanks so much to everyone who tuned in to the sharing of my experiences with the new Nikon D7000 camera in this post here, where I featured the behind the scenes video and a new short film: Benevolent Mischief. It just so happens that I’ve been sitting on another little nugget since then that I’m excited to share today: the Benevolent Mischief REMIX featuring MC Victor Shade and MTK.

Without losing you in the details, this remix came about in a completely natural way and was so fun to create. The the protagonist in the video is Ryan Abeo. We cast him for the part based on his look and his acting ability, but he’s also a well-known hip hop MC by the name of RA Scion (you may recall we hosted him on this episode of chasejarvisLIVE a while back…his current project is Victor Shade, but he’s also from Common Market.) While Erik and I were editing the original release of Benevolent Mischief, we were listening to the Victor Shade album and stumbled on a track called “AutoGraffiti”. Since our film was about an automobile getting graffiti’d, we thought we’d give it a listen…lo and behold it matched the film we’d put together pretty nicely – as in was the exact length, with several lyrical references that matched perfectly with visuals we’d already created–PURELY COINCIDENTALLY.

chase jarvis + victor shade + nikon d7000

So, like any curious artists we began playing with the combo–we got in touch with Victor Shade and his producer MTK and asked them to remix in the cello work we’d done with Dan and Joshua. We pulled some footage from the Victor Shade LIVE performance on the earlier chasejarvisLIVE, played around in Final Cut for a bit, and within 24 hours we had ourselves a completely reverse-engineered music video. I love remix culture, and I hope you do too.

So now, for the first time on the interwebs, I offer you Benevolent Mischief – the autograffiti remix featuring Victor Shade and MTK. Which to you like better – the original or this new version? Love to hear your thoughts.

[Get the Victor Shade album here on iTunes.]
[Check out the Nikon D7000 camera here from B&H.]

66 Responses to Nikon D7000: Benevolent Mischief Remix [music video]

1. Jao September 28, 2010 at 9:10 am #

Very catchy and really works well. Great flow of the imagery with the music. I like the original better but that is mostly down to my personal musical tastes I am guessing.

• Franck September 30, 2010 at 3:39 am #

Hi !
      To answer your queston: Wich one do you prefer…?

I’d say I like them both. But not the same way.

The first video posted is a really nice and perfectly mastered Feature movie, while the second one is a really nice and perfectly mastered music video for the singer/remixer.

There is the difference.

Peace,
      Franck

2. Drea September 28, 2010 at 9:12 am #

Would you say that this is better than the Canon 7D movie quality?

3. Yianni September 28, 2010 at 9:24 am #

Sweet! I’m definitely liking this version more then the original. I feel like the music just fits the imagery better. And I love both classical and hip-hop, so I’m not biased one way or the other. Nice work.

4. Luis Murillo September 28, 2010 at 9:25 am #

I love both versions and the new track does add a ton to this video. Was the scenes where he’s singing also shot with the D7000?

• Erik Hecht September 28, 2010 at 11:06 am #

The performance footage was actually taken from a Chase Jarvis LIVE broadcast we did with Ra Scion, so that was shot with a Panasonic HVX200.

• Alexandre November 22, 2010 at 3:39 pm #

Did you shoot the HVX200 in 720p or 1080i?

Either way, am looking to compliment my own HVX200 with my newly purchased D7000… Yes, Benevolent Mischief whet my appetite, but a trip to the Nordisk Filmlabs Lustre Suite convinced me.

Having tested 5D Mark II, 7D and D7000 against a gold master shot in Super16mm Kodak Vision3 500 (on an Arri 416 with Zeiss T1.3′s), they all stacked up, had pluses and minuses, but, for my purposes, the D7000 was king with regards to quality and versatility. In most circumstances the D7000 was both cleaner and more “pleasing” (personal bias) to the eye at higher ISO’s. Oh, and, which other camera maker out there has a body, in 2010, that functions with my pre-AI 85mm 1.8 that’s over 40 years old, straight outta da box!?!?!? That, and small but appreciated bonuses like built-in intervalometer (timelapses baby!), dual card slots, sweet bright viewfinder and well… you know the rest.

P.S. The remix is my personal fav.

5. Donnie Bell Design September 28, 2010 at 9:29 am #

I like this better. It needed this.

6. vernography September 28, 2010 at 9:47 am #

I liked the first version. Now that you’ve remixed it, I like the second so much better.
    The rap version just fits so much better with the imagery. It’s like the song and the video were
    waiting to meet.

7. Scott Madore September 28, 2010 at 9:56 am #

The rapping is good. new music sounds good… but the surprise at the end doesn’t work anymore! Now that I know he’s a rapper. I don’t see him getting mad at the graffiti on the van.

8. Lutz Karau September 28, 2010 at 10:21 am #

Great imagery and a very good example for the D7000′s movie qualities. Do you see any differences between Nikon and Canon HD-Video?

9. Billie September 28, 2010 at 10:34 am #

Prefer the first score! Hit the drama and anticipating moments spot on!

10. Corby September 28, 2010 at 11:08 am #

I just finished watching your live stream so I got a bit of the background story on the new remix. What did you shoot the older performance footage on? 5D/7D? It has a colder color tone like Canons have but the latitude made me think Red. I can’t wait to get my hands on a D7000!

• Erik Hecht September 28, 2010 at 11:30 am #

The older performance video was shot with a Panasonic HVX200. That’s the camera we use for all of the live broadcasts. The HVX has a specific graininess to it that I think serves this piece perfectly.

11. Josh Haygood September 28, 2010 at 11:10 am #

this one is def better:)

12. Jonathan September 28, 2010 at 11:16 am #

I liked this version better, it sort of needed a better purpose I guess… making a video to show a camera’s capabilities is cool, but using the video so an artist can promote himself or having a greater meaning is much better. Loved it!

13. Chris September 28, 2010 at 11:19 am #

Bravo!!! So much better than the first one :) Everything meshed on this one. The attitude, the visuals, the music. Great job :)

14. Tommi September 28, 2010 at 11:25 am #

I prefer the original although the remix does work very well too.

15. Pat September 28, 2010 at 12:02 pm #

Loved the remix version, it had way more impact on me.

16. Rhys September 28, 2010 at 12:36 pm #

This is friggin’ brilliant. Love it.

17. Joe Chahwan September 28, 2010 at 12:46 pm #

I prefer this version, even it’s not my preferred kind of music.
    The music fits better and is energetic as the film ( and the director ).

Thanks for the inspiration.

18. Mark Ingham September 28, 2010 at 1:03 pm #

I think both videos are great but since you asked which one I like the most I would go with the original. I don’t know how you beat having an original orchestral score created to match the visuals. Having said that, everything is better when you add Ra. He is easily my favorite MC out right now and I cant get enough of any thing he is involved with. Thanks for sharing this video and for sharing all you do Chase! Love it!

19. Dude September 28, 2010 at 1:04 pm #

This is all fine and dandy, but until you start releasing some tech specs, like bit rate and color depth from the raw footage you shot, this is all just a big circus.

20. Carlos Plazola September 28, 2010 at 1:11 pm #

Hi Chase! After 3 videos i have to ask you something… Why don`t you publish them on vimeo? youtube does not show the true quality of the video in the D7000…

• Erik Hecht September 28, 2010 at 3:22 pm #

Vimeo is great and their image quality is awesome, but since we’re trying to reach as many eyes as possible, we’ve decided to stick with YouTube as people are generally more familiar with it.

21. Josh September 28, 2010 at 1:53 pm #

Chase, amazing work on the video. Any more stuff would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I crafted this petition to put a little pressure on Nikon. I would really like to see them truly compete in the video arena, and the D7000 seems to be their first real chance…with a few caveats.

As a Nikon user, I hope you can understand my frustrations with Nikon on the video front up until the D7000, and even with the D7000 it seems as if a few things could be improved. As production isn’t my career, I can’t afford to switch systems all together (and wouldn’t want to as I love my Nikons and stills are still my main passion), but would really love to have Nikon be a true competitor on the video front. It seems as if they just may not fully understand what people are looking for.

Here is the link to the petition:

Thanks so much,

Josh

• Mojito Rick October 4, 2010 at 4:35 pm #

I’d be willing to bet that you’ll see greater options in the D700 replacement/upgrade. You’ve got to remember that the D7000 is a consumer body (hard to believe with what they are packing into it for features, but still). The 5D markII has more options, but at more than 2x the cost.

Also, read up on the overheating issue with Sony sensors….you may not want to push 30fps on these things… (especially if they ARE made in the sony Foundry). I think one of the guys here mentioned that they had an overheating issue while filming one segment (I believe it was near Joshua Tree?) Pushing the sensor another 20% might not be the best idea for thermals and reliability. Just saying ;-)

22. Jeff September 28, 2010 at 2:01 pm #

Chase,

Love the remix. I think it’s better than the first.

Regarding the D7000, how does the AF work compared to the D700?

Jeff Weeks
    Colorado Springs, CO

23. Haydo September 28, 2010 at 4:17 pm #

Chase and crew,

I enjoy both. I must say though, the MC Victor Shade and MTK track didn’t reflect the mood of the short film.
    I found the track to be ‘cheerful’ compared with the darker moody cinematography of the short film.

While watching the remix I didn’t get drawn by the film at all and was instead listening to the music while shuffling paper on my desk; however in the original I felt the style of the music reflected the cinematography and I was captivated all the way through.

Great tunes and great guys, keep up the awesome work!

Haydo

24. Julianna Koh September 28, 2010 at 4:23 pm #

I LOVE this!
    (I’m probably bias being a cellist)

25. Leon September 28, 2010 at 5:31 pm #

Dope….the hip hop version is bananas

26. long.david September 28, 2010 at 7:48 pm #

definitely digging this one. im liking this remix with hip hop beat plus the vocals of RA are phenom. But the original music better portrays the video as it was intended in the first place. my two cents.

carlo

27. Javier Freytes September 28, 2010 at 9:42 pm #

Love the film. And the quality is great. That kind of camera is what I’ve been expecting from Nikon for some time now. And the helicopter………..I want one of those :)
    Keep up the good work!

28. Stephan September 29, 2010 at 1:39 am #

Hi Chase, I did love the original version but I found it didn’t have the punch I’m used too with your other video’s. This version is simply awesome. Everything just falls in its place, the story gains on interest, the music is great to. It is simply a great and powerful match of image and music.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Stephan

29. Aviv September 29, 2010 at 2:04 am #

This new version is Hands Down way better!!!
    I liked the first version, but the music was tough for more then a minute with the visuals.
    This is a no brainer in my opinion. I actually like the shots and the cam (LOL) now much better!

30. hussain al sammak September 29, 2010 at 2:30 am #

i am blown away by the amazing effort to put this video together. a job well by the entire team, i am blown away by the capabilities of this camera and its video capabilities. the remix is just right to give the entire production the sharp feel, the classical music sound track added “drama” to the feel. i personally like both especially the behind scenes teaser was mind blowing take how its done.

31. Adam Haworth September 29, 2010 at 3:58 am #

I really enjoyed this video it worked so well and the music was very good I will certainly be buying his album.

32. Ryan Scott September 29, 2010 at 6:51 pm #

I’m convinced – downloading the Victor Shade album as we speak. It’s a great world we’re living in where I get music recommendations from the photography sites I read. Cheers.

33. mahvash saba September 29, 2010 at 11:37 pm #

it was great….

34. Cody September 30, 2010 at 5:54 am #

Not sure if I like this one yet. I still need to see it a couple more times, but I still think the original one is better.

35. dan September 30, 2010 at 7:47 am #

love the remix, probably because that music rocks and it mixes really well with your original “underground” style video.

36. Tomas September 30, 2010 at 10:10 am #

I want the camera and this dudes album!!!! Pure fire!!

37. Jeremy Beasley September 30, 2010 at 6:36 pm #

100x better than the original. It has a purpose, works really well with the visuals and audio. Nice work!

38. Rob Jaudon October 3, 2010 at 8:24 pm #

This video is PHAT!!! Well done on the remake.

39. Keith October 4, 2010 at 4:28 am #

Good stuff. What handheld rig was that you used before he ran up the steps?

40. Mojito Rick October 4, 2010 at 4:14 pm #

Chase & Co.–

What speed SD card did you use for your shoots? Class 4? 6? Faster? Was there a different class required for video vs photos for acceptable performance?

Just looking to buy now ahead of my camera, and I don’t want to go too low on the performance curve.

Thanks!

Rick

41. Eric C. Gould October 17, 2010 at 7:30 pm #

OK it’s clear Chase wants to direct and make music videos and now has a truly great marketing piece. Look forward to seeing them.

42. Brett November 14, 2010 at 10:56 pm #

I believe this question is for Erik. I searched this and the behind the scenes posts (that one had a lot of comments!) and saw a couple questions related to the Merlin Steadicam that you are using in a couple of the shots, so I was wondering if you could help me out with the settings. I have one in the mail and I understand that these are pretty nit-picky… since you have it down pat I thought maybe you could share all your weight and placement settings.

I’ll be shooting with 35 1.4G, 50 1.4, 85 1.4G, 24-70 2.8… feel free to email me if that is more convenient!

Hope to hear from you

43. henry January 28, 2011 at 1:23 am #

Personally i prefer the original version. The opening with classical music is more subtle.That gave me quiet moment to marvel at the captivating scene. From then, the color tune and the tempo of the music fit perfectly till the end. The whole movie seem like a collection of nicely composed snapshot.

In 2nd version, I found the rap song disrupt my focus and appreciation of the visual side of the movie. This might due to the sequence of viewing both video or my personal taste on rap.

P/S: Just one question about the plot. The person who did the graffiti is the van owner’s friend? or the van is just a random target?

44. Funn Foto February 8, 2011 at 10:58 am #

I like the remix. It gives me ideas on setting up shots etc. I am in VA and getting folks that have an interest in me shooting some Music vids since they like the Photo stuff that I am doing. Great work. Any hint on D800s LOL.

45. RP February 19, 2011 at 4:14 pm #

Maybe I didn’t understand your description at the beginning but I was trying to figure out who the graffiti artist is on this video? I read through all of the comments and no one really gives him credit lol… but he’s amazing

46. Dee July 22, 2011 at 8:22 am #

The video feature on this camera is what makes it the best for me.

47. Rasmus Juul August 11, 2011 at 4:15 pm #

I can’t find the victor shade album on iTunes anymore!? Anyone who knows what’s up with that?

48. charly October 21, 2011 at 3:02 am #

hi there
    well i’m still looking for the lenses you picked up for this outstanding video
    can’t find any clue about it …
    so i own a d7k and could anybody tell me which lenses did you use on this movie ?

because i want to shoot in low light and actually i have a
    50 1.4 nikon
    18 200 v1 nikon
    18 105 nikon

i don’t have the chance to own your lens gear
    do you think i can have the same results with my gear ,
    or should i buy another lens so that i’ll be able to get the same result in low light situation

thanks

49. Brandi Moeder March 21, 2012 at 3:50 am #

Thank you for posting this! Exactly what I’ve been looking for. Great info for my latest website project. Will get my client to come and check it also.

50. kostenlose sms ohne anmeldung April 18, 2012 at 1:30 pm #

We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your web site offered us with valuable info to work on. You’ve done a formidable job and our whole community will be thankful to you.

51. Coralie Reshid April 18, 2012 at 4:39 pm #

Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it’s truly informative. I am going to watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate if you continue this in future. Lots of people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

52. Darron Mespelt December 23, 2012 at 12:52 am #

Hi there, I found your blog by way of Google while looking for a comparable topic, your web site came up, it seems to be good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

53. Bennett Redburn January 3, 2013 at 5:47 am #

It?s beyond doubt a fantastic and practical cut of info. I’m contented that you common this effective in rank with us. Delight keep us cheery to date comparable this. Express gratitude you for sharing.

54. top10blog January 26, 2014 at 1:16 am #

wow what a great list, defo be bookmarking this site. thanks

55. Lea Jenning April 10, 2014 at 9:08 pm #

The panel van edition specially manufactured for that British General Put up Office, and utilised by each postmen and telephone engineers was called the Bedford HA110 right here, and had a specially tuned engine. Detuned in fact, so that it produced a mighty 27 bhp! The joke on the time was that it absolutely was reserved for carrying 2nd class letters, which didn’t offer up coming day delivery.

56. minecraft game July 14, 2014 at 4:57 am #

Fine way of describing, and good article to obtain data about my
    presentation focus, which i am going to convey in college.

1. Photokina wrap-up | Morel Studio Support - September 28, 2010

[...] the crowd was treated to a big screening of Chase Jarvis’ Nikon D7000-shot film. Leica did a nice little finale of Photokina for their website and features some of the [...]

2. Canon 60D vs Nikon D7000 – mini review - October 28, 2010

[...] Of course you can turn it off. And indeed, pros such as Chase Jarvis did just that when they made this video with the D7000. I wish I could show you the video I took at the show using auto-focus, but it seems [...]

3. The Dark Side of the Lens | takethelenscapoff.com - February 2, 2011

[...] posts: Leading a Visual Life: The SartorialistNikon D7000: Benevolent Mischief Remix [music video]Zack Arias Interview + A Few Questions About [...]

4. Lutz Karau Fotografie » Archiv » Videoschnitt mit Lightworks - April 13, 2011

[...] besitzen, wollten wir schon immer mal einen Kurzfilm machen. Inzwischen zeigen auch Fotografen wie Chase Jarvis und Vincent Laforet, dass man die Videofunktionen der neuen Spiegelreflexkameras für grandiose [...]