Workflow and Backup for Photo & Video on ChaseJarvis LIVE Tuesday!

Without a doubt, one of our most popular posts of 2010 has been this post where we outline in detail our photo and video workflow from capture to delivery of digital assets to clients. Every step is included in that post or video, but EVEN THEN we had a huge number of questions about it. As in hundreds and hundreds. Questions that are important and deserve answers. That’s the reason we’ve decided to dedicate an entire episode of chasejarvisLIVE to this topic for tomorrow!

Who: YOU and the Chase Jarvis Crew
What: chasejarvisLIVE discusses photo & video workflow – takes questions from a global audience
Where: tune in to http://www.chasejarvis.com/live
When: Tuesday, Sept 28 at 9:30am Seattle west coast time [12:30pm New York time]
[to help with time zone weirdness here's a quick iCal & gCal -d worked up]

I’ll offer my decade of experience on the matter, but what’s more cool is that I’ll be hosting my entire tech crew on the show: Scott, Dartanyon, and Erik. They’re the guys who literally walk the data through each of the steps, whether it’s still photos, HDdSLR video, RED or Phantom cinema cameras. They’re opinionated and have a ton of experience–they have all been doing this at the pro level for about 5-10 years. And tomorrow we’ll a lot of the questions that came in after our initial posting, plus we’ll be taking questions LIVE from YOU via twitter at hashtag #cjlive.

It’s a big topic, with dozens of components, from the very basic to the very complex. We’re aiming to simply this complex process. I’m re-posting the video from a few month ago after the jump in case you missed it or in hopes that you’ll get a chance to watch it and formulate some questions for tomorrow’s show. Click to see that again and keep reading…

–And in truth, more than ever before, what we’re preaching about workflow can be applied to anyone these days. We all have digital assets and all those assets need backup protocols and a plan for how to deal with important data. AND most importantly this is all scalable to your own needs.

We have beefy needs, and you might not. Tomorrow is a good chance to ask us questions about scaling your workflow according to your particular needs, even if they’re completely basic. You can put questions in the comments in advance an we’ll pull from there, but live Q&A will be available too….

Hope to see you tomorrow at http://www.chasejarvis.com/live

82 Responses to Workflow and Backup for Photo & Video on ChaseJarvis LIVE Tuesday!

1. Taylor Perkey September 27, 2010 at 11:59 am #

awesome!!!!

• Anonymous September 30, 2010 at 8:30 am #

Ahhhh! Day job! I missed it. Chase please,please,please, post this on your YouTube Chanel.

2. Josh Haygood September 27, 2010 at 11:59 am #

Awesome chase!

3. Kory johnson September 27, 2010 at 12:09 pm #

I can’t wait, thanks Chase!

4. Kory johnson September 27, 2010 at 12:11 pm #

Awesome, I can’t wait! Thanks Chase

5. Will Mcgregor September 27, 2010 at 12:22 pm #

Super excited about this, just went out and bought more drives to sort out this exact issue !

6. Dennis September 27, 2010 at 12:24 pm #

Awesome,

Can you also put a ical event link online so im not gone mis it because of the timezone

Thanks Chase

7. claire September 27, 2010 at 12:28 pm #

Is copyright registration part of your workflow? I realize it doesn’t quite fall into the technical side of dealing with data, but it seems like it would fit in there somewhere. Or is it unnecessary with client-based photography?

Assuming photography you need to copyright register, when would that occur within your workflow?

Looking forward to the episode!

• Dartanyon Race September 28, 2010 at 4:05 pm #

It wasn’t [as you may have seen] but I am happy to answer any question you have on it if you want to email them to me.

8. Sudi September 27, 2010 at 12:30 pm #

Cant’ wait! Thanks Chase!

9. Cody September 27, 2010 at 12:38 pm #

Ah, I’m so bummed that I’m going to miss this. Please post it later!

• Dartanyon Race September 28, 2010 at 4:07 pm #

It will be posted up on YouTUbe when we have a chance, and on our audio podcast too

10. Jesper Skaerbaek Jensen September 27, 2010 at 12:41 pm #

Great :-) Will there be a chance to see a rerun later ?

11. Jordan September 27, 2010 at 12:44 pm #

In your video, you talk about ingesting photos through Aperture and also your naming protocol for files. Can you get more detailed about the ingest process through Aperture and how the files themselves get renamed on the hard drive? Do you generally import into the Aperture library or just to a folder on your hard drive? How do you simultaneously back up to a second drive?

• Dartanyon Race September 28, 2010 at 4:09 pm #

Jordan,

I don’t know if this was covered well enough for you, but we use Aperture to ingest, we set the download location to our primary drive, the backup location to our secondary drive, and we set the filename and meta template in Aperture, being sure to click the “rename master files” checkbox that allows the files to be imported under the new name.

• Daniel Zihlmann September 29, 2010 at 1:55 am #

I remember in the first workflow and backup post on the blog Chase insisting to never backup through any piece of software, but instead just use copy-paste of the OS for security reasons (having a clean copy of the original RAW file). Looks like you do it differently today? Why?

As I had recently a problem with some corrupt files in LR, I hesitate to go this way. I could never figure out what caused the corruption, only way to get rid of it was to re-import the clean original RAW files from my untouched backup.

Q: Any tip how to beware of surprises (corrupt files) later, if you have a big shoot with 4000+ images and maybe not the time to inspect every image in LR/Aperture before reformatting the cards? And how verify file moving to archive and be sure nothing got corrupt on the way? Do you use any software to check?

• Night September 29, 2010 at 5:24 am #

use the lightroom option to write xmp sidemap files. then you can reimport xmp+raw and you get nearly all the modification on your files.
          ps: you’ll loose the virtual copies

• Daniel Zihlmann September 29, 2010 at 7:45 am #

Thx, Night, I know xmp sidecar files, but that was not the question. And wouldn’t help anyway if your RAW file was corrupted during import into Aperture or LR. You would just re-import an already corrupt RAW file…

12. Anonymouse September 27, 2010 at 1:15 pm #

Hopefully subject # 1 is: “How the heck should I name and organize my files”.

• Dartanyon Race September 28, 2010 at 4:11 pm #

In case it didn’t make sense in the video we use this ….

[20100928] – [cjLIVE] – [Cam 1] – 3108.mov

So [inverse date] – [project name] – [camera] – [native filename from camera]

Which looks like this in real life …

20100928_cjLIVE_Cam1_3108.mov

13. William September 27, 2010 at 1:35 pm #

Excellent idea!

14. josh September 27, 2010 at 1:37 pm #

This is tremendous news. I am so struggling right now with my digital files management. They are everywhere!
    Can’t wait for tomorrow! There will be one happy photographer in Geneva, Switzerland. Thanks Chase & the gang!

15. Brence September 27, 2010 at 1:53 pm #

nice one chase!

16. Shane September 27, 2010 at 1:58 pm #

Son of a… I won’t be around to watch. I assume this’ll be posted afterwords?

17. Mark September 27, 2010 at 2:21 pm #

I too would be interested in hearing more about the ingesting process because I thought you mentioned keeping a copy of the untouched RAW files in a safe place before they get run through a program like Aperture. I don’t use Aperture myself, so I hope your solution can be used similarly using something like Capture One. Thanks for doing this!

18. Jesus Hidalgo September 27, 2010 at 4:44 pm #

This is a very important subject matter. Sometimes things just get out of hand. I’m looking forward to hearing more about this.
    Thanks for another great talk!

(Question: I just recently moved to the east coast and I was looking for some good speakers in the field, and I have been a follower of yours for quite some time now, so I was wondering if you ever do workshops besides PDN (your workshop sold out before I got a chance to enroll:)

19. Ryan jackson September 27, 2010 at 5:05 pm #

Tempted to skip my 9-5 to catch this. Anyone else have the same idea to magically be sick tomorrow?

20. Tim September 27, 2010 at 5:37 pm #

I have class tomorrow. Will it be posted on YouTube later?

21. Hunter White September 27, 2010 at 6:51 pm #

:( . I will be in class tomorrow. Will you please repost the video (I.E the Zarias interview), for us of those still in school?

22. ahmad September 27, 2010 at 7:13 pm #

Wow…what are the spec of the MAC servers?!

23. Morgana September 27, 2010 at 7:15 pm #

Sorry, that’s 2 am Melbourne Oz time. Any chance you can video and post to your site at a later date?

24. Nick Minore September 27, 2010 at 7:57 pm #

Hey Chase! Long time follower, but will miss your video due to school. Can you please repost?

- Nick

25. Matt September 27, 2010 at 9:28 pm #

From those of us at work: can you please record and post it later?

26. Scott September 27, 2010 at 11:14 pm #

Hi Chase,

I applaud your ( and your colleagues at CJ Inc) on going efforts with all that you do for the photography community.

It is a little early in Australia to join, so i look forward to catching up on youtube.

Thanks and best wishes.

scott

27. Davin Ellicson September 27, 2010 at 11:45 pm #

Hi Chase,

Many thanks for this!

At the moment I am working out of Bucharest, Romania with my partner and we are doing some commercial photography in addition to own personal reportage projects. Up until now, we have just been using 1 TB and 2 TB Lacie external drives for our still images and we back these up a second time. However, we have just started doing 5D MKII video and are wondering what you would suggest for the next step up in back-up solutions instead of just a bunch of individual disks? A RAID? What kind? Obviously we don’t have needs anything like yours, but we need space for more than just 3 TB.

Best,

Davin

28. Kevin Rodriguez September 28, 2010 at 1:29 am #

Why do you shoot all your vids in black and white?

• Chase September 28, 2010 at 3:44 pm #

hey kevin: we don’t do all of them. the ones that are about sharing info are in b/w so we can use daylight and basic lighting together without stressing about white balance. I DO like the aesthetic, but it’s part laziness too… we’re busy folks so we try to make this easy on us.

29. Mathias Vinje September 28, 2010 at 5:56 am #

Are you going to post the video on youtube afterwards? I’m busy at that time :(

30. Michael P September 28, 2010 at 8:32 am #

Chase, you’re the man!

31. long.david September 28, 2010 at 9:07 am #

awesome.. very helpful! thanks chase

32. Ben September 28, 2010 at 10:51 am #

@chasejarvis #cjlive Do you guys colour grade in FCS Colour or use Magic Bullet Looks / Colourista etc? Thanks!

• Erik Hecht September 28, 2010 at 3:26 pm #

I’ve never used Colourista, but I love Color for high end work and love Magic Bullet for quick and flash work. I’d say 85% of our color correction is done within Final Cut Pro though.

• Ben October 1, 2010 at 2:32 am #

Thanks Erik, love your work mate!

33. Ken Mott September 28, 2010 at 10:55 am #

Best Cam for android???

34. adrian September 28, 2010 at 11:13 am #

Guys, quick question ;-)

I need a quick browser for RAW files on MAC. Built in preview is soooo sloooow, Xee seems to be better, but it still take me alot of time to just look at NEF files after session :(

• Dartanyon Race September 29, 2010 at 9:38 am #

I’m not familiar with Xee, being that we import using aperture, the previews are all built in to that system.

35. Jesus Hidalgo September 28, 2010 at 12:02 pm #

Hey guys, I just wanted to thank you one more time for the info about the workflow and backup systems.
    Since we are all visionaries,after today’s talk, I thought you might enjoy this clip about “vision” and media interface/organization/collaboration.

Please take at look at it and let me know what you think.

36. Mihai Baloianu September 28, 2010 at 2:10 pm #

didn’t make it. but hope to see it on youtube soon. thx.

37. bob September 28, 2010 at 3:13 pm #

I was on an airplane all day. Will it air again?

• Erik Hecht September 28, 2010 at 3:23 pm #

Yep, we will upload it to YouTube shortly.

38. Anthony Flores September 28, 2010 at 8:10 pm #

Hey Chase, I think I posted this before — but maybe I accidentally put it on another post … I just wanted to say this video was really awesome — I loved it, and thought the video was so fun and informative! You are a great teacher.

I’m impressed by how professional you guys are — certainly not a one man operation!

Quick question: On the video, what program did you use to create the chalkboard animation? I loved that and thought it added a lot to the video. I would actually love to use that in my own projects, it’s really awesome for teaching.

Thanks again Chase and team, you guys rock :-)

Anthony

• Dartanyon Race September 29, 2010 at 9:39 am #

It was hand drawn and then animated in Apple’s Motion.

39. Shane Parker September 28, 2010 at 10:41 pm #

Blah! I’d really like to see this, will it be re-posted somewhere, Chase?

40. Cintia September 29, 2010 at 7:27 am #

Hello! I missed the live session yesterday but had a quick question. In the Complete Workflow video post you guys stated that you use off site storage. I am not looking for specifics on what you use, but I was wondering if you had any resources that you could share on some companies that do off site storage (hopefully cloud based) for photographers. I did a search online and did not find what I was looking for. I am probably looking in the wrong place. Any help would be appreciated! And if this was talked about in your session yesterday, where can I find that?
    Thank you!

• Dartanyon Race September 29, 2010 at 9:52 am #

@Cintia We don’t use any cloud based solution in the studio, for that we have G-Tech G-Speed es units [the 8TB ones] that we bring in and out of the studio from their storage location.

Personally however I use Carbonite [and am now test BackBlaze] to back up all of my photos and music, it’s around $60 a year for unlimited back up, it would be a pain to restore from but if you computer, and your local back up got trashed and stolen, it’s a small hassle to deal with.

• Cintia September 29, 2010 at 4:54 pm #

Thank you so much for your speedy response. You are awesome and thanks for the info! I will be looking into both companies shortly. Thanks again!

41. kim September 29, 2010 at 8:31 am #

Loved the video. Entertaining as well as informative. What sparked my attention is the cool setup with the laptop. If you don’t mind sharing what case you are using. Nothing like downloading on location and having your external backups slide off of car hood. Your set up would be perfect for me. Do you mind sharing?
    Thanks.

42. Jonathan September 29, 2010 at 9:33 am #

Hi in there, don’t know if this was asked (and if it was I’m terrible sorry, couldn’t see the whole video) do you shoot only RAW? I ask because the storage of 2 formats of the same image doesn’t seem like the most efficient thing… thanks for the efforts you guys are putting into the community, it’s just marvelous.

43. Tom Mason September 29, 2010 at 12:25 pm #

Hey guys, im 17 and hopefully getting a new mac soon for my photography and im very interested in aperture 3, one small thing that worries me is the number of forums saying that it crashes a lot? i was just wondering if you have experienced any of this with your pro usage of the software.

btw i feel your website is awesome and a great help to the wana be pro like myself with usefull tips and hints to help us do better!

Thanks alot guys !!!

44. marius October 2, 2010 at 12:45 pm #

My bandwidth have here in South Africa not big enough but will down load once on u tube

45. Daniel Zihlmann October 4, 2010 at 5:54 am #

Hi Chase and team

Why did you change your workflow and DO import and backup now through a piece of software (that could be buggy)? I remember you didn’t recommend to do that in your earlier workflow & backup blog post some time ago. How do you get a “clean and untouched file” now? Did I miss a point?

Thanks for sharing!

46. Nina Sutherland December 8, 2010 at 3:34 am #

thanks for continuing to share your magic Chase!

47. Evan Mcdonald April 4, 2012 at 5:16 pm #

threadbndr,That’s a good idea, and it stops the temptation to use funds for something other than their purpose! Reply

48. Anonymous May 15, 2012 at 3:09 am #

Hi Dartanyon,

love the fact that you shared your workflow. It helped a lot to set up my own (down-scaled) system ;)

I only have one question.

How do you manage the files that are e.g. older than 30 days and go to your ARCHIVE-section.

Are you using a program for this? I have a LIVE_WORK > CURRENT section now, where my work-files are stored. Once in every month I would like to put the files older than e.g. 60 days in the ARCHIVE section (like you do).

But I haven’t found an easy and less time-consuming way to do that than doing it manually.

chriss

49. chriss May 15, 2012 at 3:10 am #

Hi Dartanyon,

I only have one question.

chriss

50. Video Intro October 12, 2012 at 4:15 pm #

Might I just say what a relief to see an individual who truly understands the things they are discussing on the internet. You most definitely know the way in which to carry a problem to illuminate and also causes it to be very important. Many more individuals need to read this as well as have an understanding of this half of the story. I can not imagine you happen to be not more popular mainly because you positively possess the talent.

51. Eloy Vansteenwyk January 17, 2013 at 4:02 am #

I conceive this website has approximately really great in order for all . “Laughter is the sun that drives winter starting the human face.” by Winner Hugo.

52. Aaron September 6, 2013 at 8:51 pm #

So I know I’m a little late on seeing this video, but I was wondering, did you guy upgrade to FCPX? If so do you still send your footage to Compressor first since you can change the codec to 422 in the upload menu of FCPX. Just seems like that would make the process a tiny bit faster. My other question would be since FCPX saves the original files in one folder and the new 422 files in another folder automatically are you still manually saves the files too? Hope these questions make sense and thanks for the help!

53. saucy or sweet casual dating March 1, 2014 at 4:07 pm #

Wow! This blog looks just like my old one! It’s on a totally different subject but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Outstanding choice of colors!

54. Waxing Zürich July 2, 2014 at 6:42 am #

I tried the two the version with two cups of sugar as well as the microwave version. Neither worked; the two cups of sugar within the stove model turned into some sort of a syrup and also the microwave version went on my skin and then ripped off, but it left the hair and a few with the goop left with it. I may have messed up around the microwave 1 simply because appropriate as I was supposed to become stirring it, my dog decided to certainly have to come in the house so I missed stopping and stirring and it in excess of cooked and went all over the microwave plate! Thankfully it had been removable so I could just wash it off. Overall, it didn’t perform for me and I’m just fairly sticky with a bit much less sugar while in the household. Anyone have tips for me or anything at all?

55. ED PROTOCOL really work October 10, 2014 at 7:34 pm #

The products are designed to be both simple and multifunctional
    to minimize your grooming time. Now, I was working behind
    a desk as an accountant most of the day and I had become sedentary.

Offering a world of health, hope and healing, Men’s Health World brings out
    the importance of natural alternatives to enhance lifestyles.

56. Coor October 19, 2014 at 11:46 am #

What a information of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious know-how concerning unpredicted feelings.

1. ACAUÃ BORGES | Equipamento, formatos e fluxo… O que fazer com tudo isso?! - November 20, 2010

[...] bom lugar para aprender sobre isso (se você entende inglês) é no blog do Chase Jarvis: http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2010/09/workflow-photo-video-chasejarvis-live [...]

2. Workflow – From Shoot to Archive | Studio Con Brio Photography - April 30, 2011

[...] a backup and recovery process in action, but on a much grander scale, check out this blog post on Chase Jarvis’ Workflow. It will either impress you, inspire you… or give you gear envy. For me, it was all of the [...]

3. Digital Photography Workflow | Digital Photography Department - December 21, 2011

[...] Chase Jarvis has setup a photography workflow that would make James Bond want to be a photographer. [...]

4. Photographers, please read this! | JFord.net - March 7, 2012

[...] Photographers, please read this! [...]

5. DSLR Workflow Tips: a Pro’s Eye View « GLJ Media Group - October 12, 2012

[...] Jarvis is a well-known, professional DSLR user. He shares his complete workflow on his website, http://www.chasejarvis.com. Immediately after recording, cards are given to the media manager (also known as the Digital Asset [...]

6. Anonymous - September 4, 2014