Levi’s Photo Workshop: A Community Photography Collaboration Venue

levis2.jpgLevi’s recognizes that photography is absolutely a core component of a new era of creativity. Here’s proof: check out their newest project, The Levi’s Photo Workshop. It’s a community photography collaboration venue located in central Manhattan (18 Wooster St. btwn Canal and Grand). Think free studio space, free camera rentals (even vintage), and a collaborative workspace. Levi’s Joshua Katz says this project is…

“…a way for Levi’s to offer a unique experience based around creativity and learning. Levi’s wanted to celebrate the pioneering creative spirit of artists and craftspeople in a way that would also hopefully turn others on to a new craft. As one of the original American work wear brands…Levi’s has a long standing connection to craftspeople and the workshops reflect a 21st century take on American craft.”

Photos of the space, link to locations after the jump. Hit ‘continue reading’ below:

levis5

Rental Desk

Studio Area

Retail Area

Pay them a visit next time you’re in the hood:
Levi’s Photo Workshop
18 Wooster St
btw Canal St and Grand St
New York, NY

[Thanks for the tip and photos…from my homies at PSFK. They’ve got a more in depth post at their place…check it.]

This is so cool. does any one know if there is any thing like this in the uk?, and the vintage camera rental is so cool i will definitely be going there when i get stateside.

Sick post thanks Chase

Andy Beck says:

It’s quite an impressive setup. I really like the camera rental section! It’s a great laugh!

Love this! I wonder if they have a Levi’s stylist available also? That’d be so great to be able to use their clothing, right there in studio, and shoot with your models of choice :)

its amasing . it is such a nice idea. its a new way of creativity.

Nicole Raine says:

That is amazing! When do they bring one to Seattle? *nudge nudge*

I really miss being able to easily collaborate and intermingle, try new things like that, and all accessibly.

Greg Brave says:

What a great idea! It gives many beginning photographers the opportunity to get familiar with different equipment. I am surprised, Nathan, that there weren’t many people there…

I was surprised to stop by and find that there were only a handful of people in there mid-day and nobody was shooting. Either word hasn’t gotten out, or not that many locals are taking advantage for some reason. I’ve got my own studio, so that aspect isn’t really a big deal for me but I’d like to take that Leica for a test drive. Might have to go back and set that up!

This is so awesome it’s beyond words. A creative space for creative people.
Sweet!

Levi Sim says:

Wow! Sounds a lot like what I’m setting up in my town. If only I had a large corporate sponsor with a catchy name…

Levi

Talk about a marketing strategy…Way to go Levi’s. Staying innovative and offering up a great form of entertainment.

Is that heaven? I’ll be in NYC next month can’t wait to check it out.

Sarah Hodzic says:

WOW! Holy smokes, what a brilliant idea, and yes we need one in DC TOO!
I am gonna have to get myself up to NYC a lot sooner than I had planned.
Way to go Levi!

brandon says:

Impressive. Thanks for the blog, Chase!

marius says:

Would be great in South Africa

Can’t wait to move back to NYC in a few weeks! Definitely be spending some time there!

Now THAT is a company worth supporting! I think that alone is reason to go out and buy a new pair of Levi’s. It is this kind of support of the creative spirit in the public marketplace that makes the present time so exciting for those of us who pursue the creative arts!

Adam Leahy says:

It’s like Legoland for camera nerds. I wanna go!

Chris Plante says:

WOW! Very impressed. I am sure it will pay off with creativity. I bet there is a great resource of photographers out there who just can’t afford studio and equipment. It would be wonderful to see what comes out of that studio.

Now, if only it included flights to get there ;)

Sam says:

All I can say is, WOW! This is so cool. I wish we had something like this in our area.

Ken says:

Looks great! I will check it out…

Lee says:

Yeah, wondering about the booking issues as well…seems too good to be true. I guess that’s the cynic in me.

now that is something big… I hope they will do it in other cities across the world

Corey says:

I would love to see something like this is Chicago. I am curious as well how they handle booking and if they want rights to your images at all..

Chase says:

Awesome! Do you have to sign anything away to use the space? Can you bring in your own talent, mua’s, etc?

Joséfine says:

Whouaa!!! It’s great, I hope it’s the first one of a long series. Free studio everywhere :-)
Plus the vintage camera, it’s just wonderful to have access to such good cameras and for free.

That’s so awesome! I’ll most definitely check it out on my next visit. Giving back, that’s what it’s all about.

Hafe says:

Thats Amazing to see! They should bring this to Philly!

That’s pretty sick. I wonder how they organize booking. If it’s a first come first serve or time slot sign-up sort of deal. Either way, very cool.

Its 2-3 hour time slots. They want to hear about your project that you’re shooting and will adjust accordingly. Ideally it will be non-commercial or directly for profit work and nothing that might cause a conflict (shooting that ad for Calvin Klein, for example…) They’d prefer if arrangements are made in person and I was told they often don’t answer the phone. Cool setup though. Lots of nice old gear to borrow too.

How amazing is that !!! What an amazing thing to do for people, that’s giving back in a big way.

I only wish they would do something similar in scotland :)

Omar says:

Great Idea !!
Thanks for Sharing
You’re the best !!

Trudy says:

Impressive and thoughtful. Nice.

Whoa, that’s awesome! Rock on Levi’s! Thanks for tweeting this Chase!