Levi’s Photo Workshop: A Community Photography Collaboration Venue

levis2.jpgLevi’s recognizes that photography is absolutely a core component of a new era of creativity. Here’s proof: check out their newest project, The Levi’s Photo Workshop. It’s a community photography collaboration venue located in central Manhattan (18 Wooster St. btwn Canal and Grand). Think free studio space, free camera rentals (even vintage), and a collaborative workspace. Levi’s Joshua Katz says this project is…

“…a way for Levi’s to offer a unique experience based around creativity and learning. Levi’s wanted to celebrate the pioneering creative spirit of artists and craftspeople in a way that would also hopefully turn others on to a new craft. As one of the original American work wear brands…Levi’s has a long standing connection to craftspeople and the workshops reflect a 21st century take on American craft.”

Photos of the space, link to locations after the jump. Hit ‘continue reading’ below:

levis5

Rental Desk

Studio Area

Retail Area

Pay them a visit next time you’re in the hood:
Levi’s Photo Workshop
18 Wooster St
btw Canal St and Grand St
New York, NY

[Thanks for the tip and photos...from my homies at PSFK. They've got a more in depth post at their place...check it.]

33 Responses to Levi’s Photo Workshop: A Community Photography Collaboration Venue

1. Corey Grusden October 12, 2010 at 1:37 pm #

Whoa, that’s awesome! Rock on Levi’s! Thanks for tweeting this Chase!

2. Trudy October 12, 2010 at 1:38 pm #

Impressive and thoughtful. Nice.

3. Omar October 12, 2010 at 1:41 pm #

Great Idea !!
    Thanks for Sharing
    You’re the best !!

4. Will mcgregor October 12, 2010 at 1:46 pm #

How amazing is that !!! What an amazing thing to do for people, that’s giving back in a big way.

I only wish they would do something similar in scotland :)

5. Matthew Dutile October 12, 2010 at 1:47 pm #

That’s pretty sick. I wonder how they organize booking. If it’s a first come first serve or time slot sign-up sort of deal. Either way, very cool.

• Nathan Blaney October 15, 2010 at 7:23 pm #

Its 2-3 hour time slots. They want to hear about your project that you’re shooting and will adjust accordingly. Ideally it will be non-commercial or directly for profit work and nothing that might cause a conflict (shooting that ad for Calvin Klein, for example…) They’d prefer if arrangements are made in person and I was told they often don’t answer the phone. Cool setup though. Lots of nice old gear to borrow too.

6. Hafe October 12, 2010 at 1:47 pm #

Thats Amazing to see! They should bring this to Philly!

7. Nate Borozinski October 12, 2010 at 1:48 pm #

That’s so awesome! I’ll most definitely check it out on my next visit. Giving back, that’s what it’s all about.

8. Joséfine October 12, 2010 at 1:57 pm #

Whouaa!!! It’s great, I hope it’s the first one of a long series. Free studio everywhere :-)
    Plus the vintage camera, it’s just wonderful to have access to such good cameras and for free.

9. Chase October 12, 2010 at 1:57 pm #

Awesome! Do you have to sign anything away to use the space? Can you bring in your own talent, mua’s, etc?

10. Corey October 12, 2010 at 2:52 pm #

I would love to see something like this is Chicago. I am curious as well how they handle booking and if they want rights to your images at all..

11. bizior photography October 12, 2010 at 3:07 pm #

now that is something big… I hope they will do it in other cities across the world

12. Lee October 12, 2010 at 3:17 pm #

Yeah, wondering about the booking issues as well…seems too good to be true. I guess that’s the cynic in me.

13. Ken October 12, 2010 at 3:58 pm #

Looks great! I will check it out…

14. Sam October 12, 2010 at 6:47 pm #

All I can say is, WOW! This is so cool. I wish we had something like this in our area.

15. Chris Plante October 12, 2010 at 7:27 pm #

WOW! Very impressed. I am sure it will pay off with creativity. I bet there is a great resource of photographers out there who just can’t afford studio and equipment. It would be wonderful to see what comes out of that studio.

Now, if only it included flights to get there ;)

16. Adam Leahy October 12, 2010 at 9:24 pm #

It’s like Legoland for camera nerds. I wanna go!

17. Jason in Hawaii October 12, 2010 at 9:52 pm #

Now THAT is a company worth supporting! I think that alone is reason to go out and buy a new pair of Levi’s. It is this kind of support of the creative spirit in the public marketplace that makes the present time so exciting for those of us who pursue the creative arts!

18. Eric Reichbaum October 12, 2010 at 10:17 pm #

Can’t wait to move back to NYC in a few weeks! Definitely be spending some time there!

19. marius October 13, 2010 at 3:28 am #

Would be great in South Africa

20. brandon October 13, 2010 at 6:11 am #

Impressive. Thanks for the blog, Chase!

21. Sarah Hodzic October 13, 2010 at 7:59 am #

WOW! Holy smokes, what a brilliant idea, and yes we need one in DC TOO!
    I am gonna have to get myself up to NYC a lot sooner than I had planned.
    Way to go Levi!

22. a girl and a camera photography October 13, 2010 at 8:54 am #

Is that heaven? I’ll be in NYC next month can’t wait to check it out.

23. Donnie Bell Design October 13, 2010 at 9:32 am #

Talk about a marketing strategy…Way to go Levi’s. Staying innovative and offering up a great form of entertainment.

24. Levi Sim October 13, 2010 at 10:12 pm #

Wow! Sounds a lot like what I’m setting up in my town. If only I had a large corporate sponsor with a catchy name…

Levi

25. Jesus Hidalgo October 15, 2010 at 3:32 pm #

This is so awesome it’s beyond words. A creative space for creative people.
    Sweet!

26. Nathan Blaney October 15, 2010 at 7:27 pm #

I was surprised to stop by and find that there were only a handful of people in there mid-day and nobody was shooting. Either word hasn’t gotten out, or not that many locals are taking advantage for some reason. I’ve got my own studio, so that aspect isn’t really a big deal for me but I’d like to take that Leica for a test drive. Might have to go back and set that up!

27. Greg Brave October 15, 2010 at 7:45 pm #

What a great idea! It gives many beginning photographers the opportunity to get familiar with different equipment. I am surprised, Nathan, that there weren’t many people there…

28. Nicole Raine October 18, 2010 at 10:17 pm #

That is amazing! When do they bring one to Seattle? *nudge nudge*

I really miss being able to easily collaborate and intermingle, try new things like that, and all accessibly.

29. Vacuum Walker October 20, 2010 at 5:21 am #

its amasing . it is such a nice idea. its a new way of creativity.

30. Calvin Wallace November 2, 2010 at 2:36 pm #

Love this! I wonder if they have a Levi’s stylist available also? That’d be so great to be able to use their clothing, right there in studio, and shoot with your models of choice :)

31. Andy Beck August 13, 2011 at 12:10 am #

It’s quite an impressive setup. I really like the camera rental section! It’s a great laugh!

32. Miles Metcalfe July 24, 2012 at 2:18 pm #

This is so cool. does any one know if there is any thing like this in the uk?, and the vintage camera rental is so cool i will definitely be going there when i get stateside.

Sick post thanks Chase