Seattle 100 Project: Just 3 Weeks Out [But Shipping Now?]

In the 8 weeks leading up to my Seattle 100: Portrait of a City launch, I promised to be blogging, vlogging and any other sort of ‘ogging one can do, as well as answering questions to share the behind the scenes of what’s going on with the project. I’ve been doing some o’ that and now we’re just 3 weeks out…sorta, but better.

If you recall, in similar fashion to The Best Camera Is the One That’s With You concept (book, iphone app, online community), this Seattle 100 project is an entire ecosystem: a book, an edition of fine art gallery prints, and a burly website.

While the “official” launch of the project is not until October 21st, but the book is shipping [read on...] …full update and the juicy details are in the above video blog. A brief summary of each is here:

_Book. Seattle 100: Portrait of a City is officially shipping from Amazon.com NOW [here]
. 10×10”, hard cover, 240 pages of b&w portraits of amazing people, bios…and in many ways a full ethnography of the city. Just $26 bucks at Amazon for a book originally meant to be priced at $70. Consider it a cultural fabric that underpins not just Seattle, but a concept that is relevant to everyone. 100% of my proceeds from this book are going to support culture and art at www.4culture.org

_Website. The Seattle 100 website is gonna be so awesome. We are working with my friends at The Superformula [check em out] who are doing an amazing job. Think photos, videos, [lots more info after the jump, click continue reading below....] interviews, locations, behind-the-scenes and in front of it. A living, breathing integration of art and data. Coming very soon.

_Gallery show. We’re doing a 4 day pop-up gallery featuring 44×55” prints of my subjects. The opening is October 21st at a location that will be shared soon. It’s the visual centerpiece of an amazing new festival in Seattle called the City Arts Festival. Music, Art, Conversation and more. Check out the site here for more details.

_Wine and Chocolate. Yes we worked in partnership with Theo Chocolates and Tierra Blanca/Small Lot Co-op to create official Seattle 100 chocolate bars and two Seattle 100 wines…a red table wine that is EPIC, and a 2009 Chardonnay. Both from the epic Columbia Valley region in Washington. Again, all our profits go to www.4culture.org here as well.

Reminder: the juicy details are in the YouTube vlog above. If you want to get these things first, even before they hit the blog, consider subscribing to my YouTube channel. Beyond that, lots more details in the coming weeks. Feel free to holler at me with questions that I can respond to in the comments section or–even better–in my next vlog on this here stuff.

25 Responses to Seattle 100 Project: Just 3 Weeks Out [But Shipping Now?]

1. Jordan October 5, 2010 at 2:41 pm #

Chase,

I actually received your book today at work. Looks awesome.

Jordan (Portland)

2. Aimee Greeblemonkey October 5, 2010 at 2:51 pm #

Congrats! I can’t wait to see it!

3. Kurtis Kronk October 5, 2010 at 3:20 pm #

Sounds like you’re keeping busy. Just bought the book on Amazon, can’t wait to see it. I’m blown away that you managed to get the price down to $26… that’s insane!

4. Scott October 5, 2010 at 3:33 pm #

Chase, Great update. Especially frm the plane. I am enjoying watching the vlogs aas well as the snippets of info about the ongoing Panerai shoot. You are a creative inspiration. Thanks

5. Scott October 5, 2010 at 7:51 pm #

Hey Chase,

Keep the vids coming.

Scott

6. Ken Mott October 5, 2010 at 9:19 pm #

Got mine today!

7. Deedee Thomas October 5, 2010 at 9:57 pm #

Hey Chase I dont know if you personally get these…But Any Way Im 21 and im a fashion designer/ artist in virginia beach and I just wanted to thank you for inspiration in many different fields with your creative works! Please Keep It Up!! DreamYoungRich

8. Tommi Kivimaki October 6, 2010 at 12:22 am #

Amazon UK reported that my order has been delayed. They did not say how many days. So I’ll have to wait a bit more to get my copy.

9. Stu Bailey October 6, 2010 at 5:23 am #

If you’re in the UK like me, you can get the book for £14.69 from Amazon.

Mine is on order!!!

10. Tony C October 6, 2010 at 5:38 am #

In Canada the book is available at Chapters for 31.67

11. Christian October 6, 2010 at 6:42 am #

Yeah mine got shipped 2 days ago from the US. ETA November 2010 lol Guess it takes a bit longer from the US to the UK :)

Really excited about the book now.

12. Mathieu Wauters October 6, 2010 at 10:33 am #

Thanks for the update, Chase! Already looking forward to the next vlog, blog…

13. KNH771 October 6, 2010 at 2:00 pm #

Actually received my copy of Seattle 100 yesterday… Saving it for this weekend. Cool autumn weather, pumkin spice latte, and a great new book – my idea of heaven on earth.

14. Todd Curtis October 6, 2010 at 6:07 pm #

Got mine a couple days ago, looks great. You have inspired me to new projects.

15. Squid October 7, 2010 at 12:45 pm #

Dude, got my book last night…

16. Stuart October 7, 2010 at 2:54 pm #

Just got my book yesterday, been looking at it during breaks today, it looks great!

17. Mathieu October 9, 2010 at 12:58 am #

Coll video from the field! Do you record with your I4? Handheld or support? Tell us more. Keep up with the inspiring work.

Mathieu, Paris

• Chase Jarvis October 9, 2010 at 5:03 pm #

mathieu: thx for the kind words…. that was with the camera built into my macbook pro.

18. Adam Leahy October 9, 2010 at 9:40 am #

Got your book in the mail yesterday, love it. I really like the two photo set-up for the most part on your subjects. Also it’s cool that you have some individuals and some teams. So much of the time creative work is a team project, great to see that reflected in your book. This set from you reminds me of Richard Avedon, in the blank backgrounds and the energy/life/character that you are getting from people in studio. Great light too! This is my favorite collection of your work. I really was blown away by your book. Nice job to you and the people that helped.

19. Chase Jarvis October 9, 2010 at 5:06 pm #

adam: i’ve heard while i’ve been on this current travel to asia that people are starting to receive their books–amazon is shipping…. so glad you love the book!

i really appreciate your comment here. the highest compliment you could pay me is to refer others to the book as well via your social media channels. i’m hoping to sell a bunch since all my proceeds are going to 4culture.org. would be lovely to raise some great money for a great org. many thanks!

20. Bernard October 9, 2010 at 7:51 pm #

Hey Chase !
    Thank you so much and congrats for everything you do, your effortless support of the creative community, your blog, vlog, your book(s !), your CJ live sessions, etc. — All this is so much inspiring, and I can’t believe how often you manage to update your blog with new entries ! Do you ever sleep ??
    Good luck for the Pangea Project !
    I’m going to order My Seattle 100 book right now, on amazon.fr (I’m a french photog in Paris) – One of these days I’m gonna come to Seattle visit my friend Benjamin (who works for Microsoft) – and if you’re there and available for 2 minutes, I’d love to have a dedication of my book by the author !
    [Update : Book Ordered ! ]
    Bernard

21. Keri October 13, 2010 at 12:09 pm #

Wooo hoo, Amazon UK emailed me saying the book has shipped and i should get it next week :-)

Can’t wait !

22. Steel October 13, 2010 at 11:23 pm #

WOW. My copy came today and it was more than I could have imagined. Great work Chase & team.

23. Rob January 3, 2011 at 12:13 pm #

I caught a segment on you while visiting family in Seattle these Holidays.

I think an addition to your book on their impact to Seattle culture needs to be all the great DJ’s who were at KISW and are now at KZOK. These would be, in no order of importance upon their impact to Seattle culture: Gary Crow, John Langdon, MIke West, Steve Slaton and Dan Wilke.

Growing up in Seattle in the late 1970′s and early 1980′s every car cruising around on Friday and Saturday nights were tuned into 99.9 KISW. It was like all the cars in ‘American Grafitti’ listening to Wolfman Jack. Everyone listened to those guys. The jocks, the punks, the rockers, the preppies all listened to 99.9 “back in the day”. KISW back then was like a time capsule of “great music”. From the Bon Scott AC/DC to RUSH, to PInk Floyd, Van Morrison, Steely Dan, import Zeppelin. KISW and those DJ’s are responsible for the great music to come out of Seattle in the 80s and 90s. They influenced us all. Queensryche, Nirvana, Mother Love Bone, Pearl Jam, Perenial, RAIL. That all we did back then during the rainy Seattle winters was listen to KISW, tape songs to learn them, and practice guitar in our bedrooms.

Any book of the people to inluence Seattle culture need to include those “old school” KISW DJ’s.

Sincerely,

Rob

1. Tasty Holiday Tidings: Seattle 100 Book, Chocolate & Wine | Chase Jarvis Blog - December 16, 2010

[...] – all my proceeds go to non-profit http://www.4culture.org). I’ve alluded to it in some posts before, but as a side creative outlet and fun promotion we collaborated with two partners and [...]