How Cameras Interact with Stuntmen

Happy Friday. I’m on the road today, but thought I’d squeeze in this video I found interesting. It illustrates–without all the CGI and Hollywood set, post production, and mojo coverup–some cool interplay between stunt men/women and a few RED cinema cameras on booms, jibs, cables and handheld. Basically, it’s a BTS stunt training video. You’ll need to slide into the vid a bit you see the actual cameras (the target of this vid is the stunt crowd for sure) but it’s worth it for us camera people/directors/dp’s. Beware for some laughable drama along the way, but dig the simplicity of the actions/camera moves in some cases, and the crazy level of detail in others. Enjoy and have a great weekend.

(thx for the link, tom!)

29 Responses to How Cameras Interact with Stuntmen

1. Sander November 12, 2010 at 10:35 am #

Great video, thanks for sharing. Too bad the canon sequence doesn’t seem to be that equal set in height. Looks like the camera’s at the end are set higher which gives it a little bump.

anyway, a video that makes me drool … ;-)

2. Clark Barron November 12, 2010 at 10:39 am #

Awesome stuff man. Thanks for sharing

3. Nathan Williams November 12, 2010 at 10:41 am #

Way too much fun! Heck, I’d almost want to become a stunt man. Thanks for sharing Chase!

4. Eric November 12, 2010 at 11:27 am #

Every time I see a video with the bullet-time effect I think I need a couple of dozen more cameras.

5. Kurt November 12, 2010 at 11:40 am #

super awesome!

6. Gerardo November 12, 2010 at 11:53 am #

jajajaja en español… esta genial esta idea y pues increíble lo que se puede hacer con efectos y con la Redcam… esta genial..

now in english, jaja, it’s great the idea and incredible the things that can do special effects and also the redcam.. it’s a wonderful job, and the scences like the marcial arts are incredible.. a good video, thanks chase!!

7. Daniel Duthler November 12, 2010 at 7:43 pm #

Awesome shoot. This is the dawn of a new age in photography. Thank you for sharing.

8. Tom Callos November 13, 2010 at 6:11 pm #

Hey Chase, thank YOU for the mention. You’re in my coolest hall of fame for your work w/the kung fu channel video which is, in my opinion, Enter the Dragon cool.

I keep my eye on everything you do, as you are one class act.

Tom

9. Tim Skipper November 13, 2010 at 7:11 pm #

I could do stuff like that if I lost 20-30 lbs, was twenty years younger, and had done some measure of physical activity in my earlier years.

Yeah right and I also got some beach property in the Everglades I can sell you if you believe that!

Those guys were amazing and the video is cool.

10. Ben November 13, 2010 at 8:43 pm #

I don’t think them using red’s is amazing at all. Big whoop, of course they are using them or even something better.

The amazing thing is that their using pairing 31+ (couldn’t get an angle to see the last 2 to 3 I am guessing) T2i kits together to make that shot.

• haeger November 14, 2010 at 2:30 pm #

… thanx … for commentate “our” video…

11. Dan Speicher November 14, 2010 at 9:22 pm #

Great article Chase, thanks again for the great content, Now Im RED with envy

12. Louis Turmel November 14, 2010 at 10:21 pm #

Very interresting making of… I’ve view some things I’ll be apply on my next rock show coverage..

thanks !

13. claude etienne November 15, 2010 at 7:33 am #

Cool video, although the gruesome part could have been excluded. But, great martial arts and stunt action otherwise.

14. geehaejeong November 15, 2010 at 10:08 am #

that is awesome!!!!

15. Antp November 15, 2010 at 12:07 pm #

Love this its great!

16. Joseph W Nienstedt November 15, 2010 at 7:51 pm #

Love that no matter how good you get, there is always someone doing something way bigger/cooler than you. It’s that unrelenting drive to reach a higher point that sets guys like these ahead of most photogs! Truly inspiring stuff.

17. Michael Montalto November 15, 2010 at 7:56 pm #

You have to be one of the coolest people on the face of the planet Chase…..wow..just wow man!

18. Tyson Murray November 15, 2010 at 10:12 pm #

Thanks for sharing . love the vid

19. Eirik November 15, 2010 at 10:53 pm #

omG! awesome stuff Chase!

20. sheri November 16, 2010 at 8:59 am #

wow amazing thanks for sharing

21. Kareem November 16, 2010 at 9:44 am #

haha that video was shoot in Berlin, Germany. never heard of the company before awesome stuff….thanx chase for making me more familiar with my neighbourhood.

22. Micah Kvidt November 20, 2010 at 8:05 pm #

So that’s how they do it… haha sick vid Chase!!

23. Iso 1200 Magazine December 7, 2010 at 12:27 pm #

Incredible video. Wow.

24. Laverne Nix November 29, 2012 at 6:09 am #

Always good to find something new and interesting to learn from. Great website you’ve got here.

25. mua qua tang June 19, 2013 at 7:07 pm #

It’s arduous to find knowledgeable folks on this subject, but you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks

26. Kolin June 4, 2014 at 1:06 am #

Hello there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog before but after browsing through many of the posts I realized it’s new to me. Nonetheless, I’m definitely happy I found it and I’ll be book-marking it and checking back often!

1. Ein Video über die Arbeit von Videokameras mit Stuntman | Webnfoto.com BLOG zu Webdesign & Fotografie - November 13, 2010

[...] "//connect.facebook.net/de_DE/all.js"; document.getElementById("fb-root").appendChild(e); }()); Im Blog von Chase Jarvis fand ich nachfolgendes Video. Wer schon immer einmal wissen wollte wie die coolen Kampfszenen von [...]

2. » Bullet time effect - November 14, 2010

[...] à un article de Chase Jarvis, je me suis intérréssé de plus prés à cet effet assez impressionnant qu’est le [...]