The 60 Second Portrait [Mike Horn]

As a springboard from all the portrait work I’ve done over the past three years, I, at some time during that process, became really attuned/enamored/moved by people’s faces and started experimenting with a new creative study. Internally we’re calling it “60″. In short, it’s really simple: I’m taking 60 second video portraits of people. No instruction, no direction, no coaching, nothing. Just the camera pointed at them for a minute.

Although the concept is simple, I’ve found the results to be pretty interesting. At a fundamental level, the human face says a lot, even without the person saying anything at all.

While I’ve been at this for a while, I thought it would be time to start sharing some of these portraits here on the blog. This chase jarvis 60 features world-renowned explorer Mike Horn. You may remember Mike from my Pangaea experience across the South China Sea with Panerai watches. [Lots of posts here, here, and here.] It was a life changing experience for me, and a good bit of it was getting to know Mike. Hopefully you’ll get to know him a little here as well.

Love to know your thoughts.

[aside: if you are interested in seeing these videos when I post them to youtube, rather than just the occasional ones that make it here to the blog, you're invited to subscribe to my youtube channel here. thx]

Shout out to McKenzie Stubbert for the music.

100 Responses to The 60 Second Portrait [Mike Horn]

1. Michel December 21, 2010 at 11:38 am #

did that dude blink even just once? awesome project. love it a lot

• Scott December 21, 2010 at 4:08 pm #

5 blinks, and his eyes are nearly closed the whole time anyway :)

• Albert December 21, 2010 at 6:34 pm #

Revealing as hell. The subtle intricacies of the face, it’s movements and nuances are so vivid. Nice project indeed.

• Anonymous December 23, 2010 at 10:32 am #

Hmmm great and humble….

2. Tim McGuire December 21, 2010 at 11:47 am #

I like it Chase. He seems quite intense. Am I right?

3. Matt Crossman December 21, 2010 at 11:49 am #

Mike face reflects the many years spent at sea, eyes hiding under the brow, protecting from the constant sea spray!

4. Ahmad December 21, 2010 at 11:51 am #

years of hard work… And satisfaction !

5. Randy Nicholson December 21, 2010 at 12:07 pm #

A great study in both its simplicity of concept and dynamic nature. I look forward to seeing more.

6. Martin Beebee December 21, 2010 at 12:13 pm #

Great concept. Such as simple idea with such an interesting result. I’d be curious to see the same thing start with a broader shot to briefly show context (such as the raging sea or whatever’s relevant to the subject), and then slowly move in to focus on the face. . . .

7. David Johnson December 21, 2010 at 12:14 pm #

I think your on to something here,
    Your capturing something a still image usually cant.
    The word is ‘essence’ … or is it?
    The question to ask yourself?
    Are you delving into the subject at a different level?
    And why is our feeling of the subject different, than a still image?
    Considering that they do not speak, why do we know more?
    And why do we have more questions, about the subject, simply because we see them in motion?
    Fascinating project
    Again … your onto something here.

8. Daniel December 21, 2010 at 12:17 pm #

People have been doing these for several years, and the idea sort of took off a bit when Flickr introduced video. They’ve been commonly referred to as “long portraits”.

I think it’d be sort of interesting to see a gallery of these (maybe use iPads or something to hang them on the walls).
    Even cooler, would be to do them in 3D and hand out 3D glasses to people as they enter the gallery to view them.

• Chase December 21, 2010 at 12:28 pm #

moving portraits have been around since even before warhol – although he pushed the concept the strongest.

didn’t know about any of the flickr work you cite… my study here is certainly in the vein of all this. couple considerations I’m interested in …

1. the further collision of (and subsequent ensuing lack of differentiation between – “convergence”) the still and moving picture.

2. that technology in part is more easily/ readily responsible for allowing that convergence (ipads display both, phone, hddslr cameras capture both etc), but…. (see #3)

3. that sharing the portraits as quickly as we now can result in people “knowing” people, more quickly, more remotely, more easily (but more removed?). a simple expansion of the idea of whether or not technology is a facilitator of real human connection or a barrier to it.

• Daniel December 21, 2010 at 1:29 pm #

Thanks for the reply, Chase.

As a still photographer who currently doesn’t have much interest in doing video work (although I’m continually astounded by the works of others and sometimes wish I could do that, so it may change), I’m also very interested in where this idea of “convergence” is going. A sort of fear tends to come and go about video overtaking stills, and I in no way want to stir that pot here, but I think there will always be a place for both.

A still image can instantly relay all the information necessary for an ad or anything else, while video requires you to watch it for any given amount of time. In the same way that people rushing along a busy street, subway station, etc are very unlikely to stop and watch a 15-30 second video ad, I’m not sure how much people will want to watch a full minute’s worth of someone just standing there awkwardly in front of a camera, unless it’s in a setting such as a gallery or other presentation.

I’m not sure I’d agree that the current form of just having someone filmed like this for 10, 30, 60, how ever many seconds can really help us “know” someone. For example here we just see Mike squinting from the bright light and kind of looking around a little. He could be a very shy person, or he could just as easily be a very loud and social person that’s just caught off guard by having someone approach him about this, set up a tripod and start filming him without him knowing what he’s supposed to “do”. He’s not really “in his element” in any real way to get to know who he really is.

You’re definitely on the right track to be exploring this and seeing what comes of it, I just think the medium is still a bit up in the air at the moment as far as how to best utilize it. As a comment below shows, many people don’t understand the purpose.. perhaps figuring it out a bit more to better capture to real essence of the person will help in that regard as well.

• Jim December 22, 2010 at 11:01 pm #

I agree. Compelling concept, but evocatively scratching the surface.

At about 20-25 seconds, I began wanting to know more, see the context behind the man. But then again, if he were more expressive–perhaps interacting with, or responding to, something–that might delay the desire to move on. A deeper dive into the results would be telling. It’s hard (and perhaps premature) to judge a concept by a single execution.

But overall, this is what a new medium (for us still shooters) is all about – experimentation, evolution and throwing darts at the board. Good dart, Chase.

9. London People Photographer December 21, 2010 at 12:20 pm #

I hate to say this but why the hell didn’t I think of this? Brilliantly simple idea and a really great way to totally intimidate your subjects:-)

10. Imei December 21, 2010 at 12:20 pm #

The Chinese have practiced a type of “science” of face reading practitioners have studied, codified, and passed down to the next generation. While I wouldn’t go so far as to pass up a person for employment based on a face-reading analysis, there is something we’ve recognized, even in the work of Malcolm Gladwell’s, “Blink” in terms of understanding split-second judgments we make everyday about situations, emotions, and even the human face and behavior.

I admit as a counselor and coach, I know I am being “read” by my clients as much as I am reading them – their faces, eyes, nervous behaviors, they way they sit, squirm, and even in their silence, what they do and do not do.

I hope you enjoy your “60″ project for what it will teach you about humanity, and about yourself.

Warmly,
    Imei

11. Brence December 21, 2010 at 12:23 pm #

I kept waiting for him to laugh – it looked like he was holding one back. I don’t think I could be filmed for a minute without cracking a smile and feeling a little self concious :) Pehaps I was just ‘seeing’ what I think I would have felt if put in a similar situation?

12. Zoe December 21, 2010 at 12:24 pm #

I’m sorry I don’t get it. I’m sure that this will take off, people love to copy what you do. I love your work, but this one I don’t get. 60 seconds with a camera in your face, is hardly natural, so it’s not like a Candid shot, 60 seconds also seems to be to long to keep a person’s interest when in a series. Sorry Chase, I just don’t find this as an interesting project.

• Chase December 21, 2010 at 12:33 pm #

@zoe. no worries…. but, i should add that one of your points is exactly one of the things i find interesting.

how does a subject react when standing there for 60 seconds when they know they’re getting recorded. it isn’t candid, but nor is almost any photographic portrait (i’d argue)?? can it be a view into them?

also, a question back to you: if 60 seconds is too long, what is too short? how long does it take for you to feel that person. what is the point at which you retain or lose interest?

• Eduardo B. December 23, 2010 at 9:57 pm #

Chase, I loved your idea. Im from Brazil and there is a brazilian phtographer called Arthur Omar that used the same concept. His ideia is to shoot people and expect their reaction towards the camera. He finds more interesting shooting people with the camera being like a disturbing element not a invible one.

Thanks for charing ideas, techinics and knowledge.

13. andrea December 21, 2010 at 12:58 pm #

Great idea Chase. I’ll try to do something similar at first oppurtunity. Thank you for your continuous creative ideas.

Andy

14. Charlotte Moss December 21, 2010 at 1:03 pm #

Dammit! You pinched my idea! (Just kidding…)

Everyone will totally think I ripped you off now!

15. Leo December 21, 2010 at 1:04 pm #

Interesting Idea!
    Was the footage slowed down or anything? There seem to be some unnatural morphing effects on Mike’s face.

16. Chris Fenner December 21, 2010 at 1:04 pm #

Great job! This idea looks familiar (http://nyti.ms/guLoX6) You get some inspiration from there? Really like this idea of video portraits.

17. Danny Maco December 21, 2010 at 1:09 pm #

Another great example of a face saying a lot without whisering a word, this portrait shot by the USC student winner of our last photo contest:

18. Joseph W Nienstedt December 21, 2010 at 1:17 pm #

MIke’s weathered look really makes something like this work really well. Each subtle move is exaggerated by his defined lines.

19. Kiriako December 21, 2010 at 1:26 pm #

Sweet! awesome features & expression …reminds me of Warhol. …Can’t wait to see more.

PS: Chase: I had emailed you a few months back about the possibility of assisting or lending any kind of hand for one of your projects. (if you have anything planned during the time I plan on being in your neck of the woods).

You told me you couldn’t commit to anything and to check back via your social media/online channels. So… I am.

I will be in Vancouver/Whistler for the first 2 weeks of Jan (flying home on the 15th) …I certainly wouldn’t mind making the jolt across the border if it worked out.

I’ve left my email attached to this post.

Cheers’ and hope you and your team have a Merry Christmas.
    Best of luck in the new year.

Kiriako

20. Jeffery Saddoris December 21, 2010 at 1:31 pm #

Very cool. Reminds me of some of the stuff Hillman Curtis was doing a couple years ago. Something about the subtle motion can have quite an impact.

21. David Lees December 21, 2010 at 1:40 pm #

Simple yet fantastic idea… I know I’m inspired!

22. John Wagoner December 21, 2010 at 1:41 pm #

Powerful. Like dead air in a conversation, I’m left wondering what is on his mind–uncomfortable in the silence or waiting for the impetus to act or waiting for something to act upon him.

23. Sarah December 21, 2010 at 1:54 pm #

I find this absolutley facinating because simply put, actions speak louder than words. Certainly would love to see more. Thank you!
    Sarah

24. Nate December 21, 2010 at 2:00 pm #

so what do you do behind the camera during the filming? How do you disconnect yourself from the subject so as not to influence the shot?

25. stefan-gonzales December 21, 2010 at 2:24 pm #

beautiful remastering of the great Andy Warhol, great job chase!

26. Justin Evidon December 21, 2010 at 2:50 pm #

I really like the concept, and the B&W treatment you gave it really works well. My only gripe is that you seem to have used SmoothCam in FCP or something similar that becomes really distracting. The whole idea of this seems to be to focus on every little detail of the subject, yet all I could see were the anomalies of the post-processed image stabilization. I would be curious to see this once more but without that treatment.

27. Ahmad December 21, 2010 at 2:51 pm #

Chase, I just tried mine :p… here is the link. The video is not sharp, because i got some stupid error with my FCP. so i had to use iMovie.
    here is the video.

28. Chrstian December 21, 2010 at 2:55 pm #

What did you shoot this with, the D7000 I presume but what glass? Looks good.

• Chase December 21, 2010 at 3:03 pm #

yes. Nikon D7000 with the 85mm 1.4.

29. Geoff Moore December 21, 2010 at 3:00 pm #

The unmoving camera viewpoint creates a tension between subject and viewer. Would a slow zoom in to a key feature, the unblinking eye, or dry lips, or twitching cheek muscle add or detract from the effect? It’s something I may be forced to try.

30. Brian December 21, 2010 at 3:23 pm #

Here’s what I find interesting — not what the subject does but the narrative we apply to the subject in the absence of a clear direction.

When I was in graduate school (MFA in Theater) we had an acting teacher send two people on to the stage and sit, facing us, for sixty seconds. He had given them each a whispered direction before they started — and whatever it was, it was fascinating to watch. There was such intensity and emotionality in their expressions, even while they sat silently for a minute. After the minute was up the instructor asked us to explain what we thought was happening. We all had different but equally involved interpretations. Then he asked the actor what he had whispered to them.

They both replied, “Do nothing.”

So, is the story implicit in the face? Or, in the absence of a narrative, does the face become a mirror to our own souls?

31. Luke Kermode December 21, 2010 at 3:31 pm #

Avedon did it in 1/125 sec. Why take 60 seconds to accomplish the same thing?

32. David Cannon December 21, 2010 at 5:08 pm #

I like it – especially with the video from the slr, it really just looks like a slightly moving 60-second-long portrait that you can’t look away from. And I think you can’t look away because you’re wanting to see that reaction – Will he laugh? Will he look uncomfortable? Will he continue to look confident? I like it. It’s different and just about anything different is refreshing.

33. Mike Levad December 21, 2010 at 6:33 pm #

A friend of mine did a project using a pinhole camera where the exposure time was 1hr. The subject had to sit as still as possible during that time to create a clear image. Some are remarkably clear while others are a blurry ghost like image. Here is a link to the project.

34. mat g. December 21, 2010 at 6:40 pm #

The squinting in his eyes and the crows feet and thick skin give us a true look into the eyes of the sailor…. you can tell that Mike has been squinting from the glare off the water for many years… he also doesn’t like to have the camera on him…. about half way through, he gazes slightly to the right away from the lens… this shows a vulnerable side to a gruff sailor…. excellent work…

35. Steve T. December 21, 2010 at 10:30 pm #

I think one thing to consider is the “interpretation” the music forces on the viewer. If you have an idea that you want to convey about the person your choice of music drastically effects how we all perceive the work. If you had played something comical, his look could be considered “bemused”. As it is, it presents a pretty intense and focused person. If you wanted to strictly leave it up to the viewers interpretation maybe natural sound or silence would give more freedom to interpret the subjects. It’s a cool concept. Can’t wait to see where you go with it.

• Ahmad December 21, 2010 at 11:30 pm #

I think the natural sound or his workplace background sound would be best to use…

36. Tony T. December 21, 2010 at 10:45 pm #

I would have to agree with Steve T. above. We always hear that in film the soundtrack is at least 50% of the message. If that is the case then in a study like this the choice of music brings a subjectivity into an objective study.

I love the idea though. Don’t think I would have thought of this one. Love you work and your philosophy in your work, your art and your passion. Thanks.

37. Rodman December 21, 2010 at 10:52 pm #

Chase, at first glance I thought this was an excuse for a post but I am humbled by the result. This test reminds me of an article I read today in the WSJ about psychologists using dogs as assistants for their perceptiveness (pioneered by Freud); perhaps “they” should take note of your incredibly revealing experiment. Kudos

38. Stella December 22, 2010 at 1:11 am #

Clayton Cubitt has been doing 5-minute “Long Portraits” for a few years. Vimeo even dedicated an “homage” project to his work. Some here: http://vimeo.com/album/56662

39. Leon December 22, 2010 at 2:41 am #

I really like this project. As a portrait photographer I am similarly fascinated by the human face and the expressions. Great idea and well executed.

40. Christopher David December 22, 2010 at 6:26 am #

Very cool Chase! I remember seeing a Vanity Fair issue back in 2006 where this guy Robert Wilson did these high budget video portraits of celebrities and thinking how cool that could be to bring flavors of that into some of the work I was doing at the time. As it happens, life happens and I put it on the shelf and all but forgot about it until you made this post. Thank you for bringing this back to my mind!

Here is a link to the Vanity Fair article I was talking about:

Thanks Chase for the kick in the butt!

41. Meredith Phillips December 22, 2010 at 7:07 am #

so eyes are really the portal to the soul! i feel as if i have glimpsed into his past. so cool!

42. rich durnan December 22, 2010 at 7:31 am #

Chase if you have not seen the films Baraka (1992) and Koyanasquatsi (1983) check them out. They both use the same video portrait approach very effectivley.

43. max December 22, 2010 at 8:00 am #

shot 1 year ago :-D

44. Rick Wenner December 22, 2010 at 8:29 am #

I find this to be a very interesting concept. When I hit play on the video, I didn’t know what to expect, and honestly, I didn’t think it would be interesting at all. After watching the video and staring at the subject, watching all the little movements in his face, and studying the details of his face, I couldn’t help but think “Damn, Chase did it again. This is going to be a very interesting project to watch grow.”

45. Jason D. Smith December 22, 2010 at 9:13 am #

Damn!!! All I can say is Damn!!!. What a powerful 60 seconds!

Thanks for sharing this Chase! That was very inspiring!

46. Kyle Bowman December 22, 2010 at 11:01 am #

Wonderfully thought out and executed. Also an insight to composure. I applaud you!

47. Ross Johnston December 22, 2010 at 11:52 am #

Very interesting concept, I like, I like alot.

48. Qua Veda December 22, 2010 at 2:25 pm #

Wow! what a face! and a very interesting concept.

Possibly a few shorter segments taken at different times could capture more of the character and personality.

49. Rob Peterson December 22, 2010 at 2:45 pm #

Interesting… Watched several times with & without sound and find the san sound version much more intense and intriguing. Not sure if others found this the same way or opposite as more attention was given to the conceptualization and technical aspects of the “60″.

50. nodderwaak December 23, 2010 at 4:43 am #

Chase,

which music is are you using here – it kind a adds to the total experience. Using other music would give a completely other effect.

greetz,
    Werner

• Erik Hecht January 2, 2011 at 12:53 pm #

The music is an original composition by our friend McKenzie Stubbert. You can hear more of his work (including the full piece from this video) on his website http://www.mckenziestubbert.com

51. John Grover December 23, 2010 at 6:02 am #

The feel i get from this is discomfort. He looks like he feels uncomfortable the way he moves his mouth and jaw, and of course the squinting. His lips look dry and chapped, the environment looks harsh and bright.

So what do I see about hiis character from this one 60 second portrait? He seems shy, withdrawn, beaten. He seeems like he has been through a recent hard time. I don’t see this man laughing or exerting himself. He does not seem to have personal power except for passive resistance of force.

I would be interested to see more of these. The subtlety of facial movement is interesting. Having shot a lot of still portraits, I do wonder how much of it is simply starting down the camera in discomfort for the subject.

52. Eric Calabros December 23, 2010 at 7:18 am #

if I was Gay, I would fall in love with him

53. Garreth Price December 23, 2010 at 11:09 am #

Very Warholish

54. David Haut December 23, 2010 at 1:22 pm #

Chase,
    What is the fps this is played back at?

If this was compiled into a project, having different 60 sec cilps at varying frame rates would be pretty friggin sweet. Depending on the talent, you could fit a little or a whole lot in a 60 seconds. I’m thinkin’ Red camera ……

55. Chris Ohta December 23, 2010 at 7:17 pm #

Thank you for your creativity!!! Your ability to think outside the box is inspiring and refreshing. Thank you!!!

56. CB December 24, 2010 at 4:56 am #

yes please…do you have 50 more so I can procrastinate longer

57. Mark Wisniowski December 24, 2010 at 10:12 pm #

Yes he is a known face on TV and movies, but this portrait video feels too staged and forced. Nothing about his realtime facial movements really strikes a chord with me. This portrait execution feels almost too human for me, I feel his erratic and random facial movements makes him look vulnerable.

A still photo-portrait to me is much more powerful when captured correctly. The small expressionism nuances of a face allow me to build a story within my own mind as a viewer, these thoughts are my own, and I’m eager to express my opinion with another viewer referencing this particular photograph.

Yes his face shows character, a lifetime of emotional experiences, but when shown in realtime motion, I can no longer daydream of his life stories.

58. Shane Mielke December 24, 2010 at 11:14 pm #

Unfortunately this particular video/portrait doesn’t work for me. I found the whole thing forced, boring and somewhat painful to watch. Usually the eyes are the windows into a person’s soul but here I’m left with nothing as you can’t see his eyes in the shadows while he’s squinting. This might have worked on another person who actually played with the camera a little bit but I found this particular person to be very average and uneventful. I know the goal was to not instruct the person at all but in this case I think he needed it for this one to be impactful.

59. Alex December 26, 2010 at 1:48 am #

Does his face twist and contort like that in real life or is that post?

Its quite hilarious how people are suggesting you zoom or focus or give add context etc. The fact its a static shot its the whole point…

60. Ash December 26, 2010 at 6:32 pm #

Chris Floyd has done a similar project. He filmed triathletes immediately after finishing their races and came away with some really effective results.

61. Doug Jantz December 27, 2010 at 12:07 am #

An Andy Warhol repeat for modern times!

62. Scott MacKenzie December 27, 2010 at 5:49 am #

Seems as if I wanted him to speak, and that He kind-of wanted to speak. I’m not sure which one of us was paralyzed just then.

63. James Dyas Davidson December 28, 2010 at 12:53 am #

Nothing new here I’m afraid. One of the skills of a photographer is to frame a section of the ‘chaos’ that is the world around us and make an image that interests and attracts our imagination and attention. Moving pictures, for me, should have a concept, a story, something that one single image can’t portray. These slo-mo shots of a person’s face with emotive music (another discussion point here – moody music=moody guy??) are quite common and as others have said, boring. They don’t work for me because they don’t do what a powerful single image does (the WOW factor) nor do they have a story line nor interesting moving images.

Andy Warhol went one step further and challenged our thinking of moving images when he recorded hours upon hours of the Empire State building. Nothing moved or changed except the fact it got dark and they switched the lights on! Boring but a statement I suppose. As Andy said ‘Art is what you can get away with’.

Here’s a variation on the 60s theme: http://www.dalzielscullion.com/works_page/film/one_minute_video.html

64. James Dyas Davidson December 28, 2010 at 12:58 am #

This was the link I meant to add: http://www.dalzielscullion.com/works_page/film/another_video.html

65. Nasir Hamid December 28, 2010 at 7:24 am #

Who cares whether or not there’s anything new here. Comment on the project/work on its own merits or not at all.

I just came across these clips which I thought were really well done. Not portraits but they’re along similar lines…

66. Nic December 28, 2010 at 2:36 pm #

I think you’ve sparked my creative juices Chase, thank you! :)

67. William Wallis December 29, 2010 at 6:16 pm #

One of the best examples of the “60 second portrait” is from the New Order video “Round and Round” in the 1980s:

68. diala chinedu December 31, 2010 at 8:51 pm #

That was INTENSE!!! Being the subject in one of these must be difficult…staring into the camera for a minute…but I love it cos I’ve not seen this done before…so its something new and fresh for me…

69. Joseph Fisher January 1, 2011 at 8:21 pm #

Chase, I am a first time visitor to your blog and I find this post very interesting. I am running through my mind possible subjects to try this on and wish I would have come across it before Christmas as I would have used this in a video Christmas card.
    I congratulate you on your successes and thank you for the inspiration, it is exactly what I need to get off my butt and exercise my passion!

70. Aaron January 3, 2011 at 10:08 pm #

Hey Chase,

Looking forward to seeing the people you capture in this way. I think moving portraits are very interesting. As far as the length discussion goes, I’m not sure 60 seconds is long enough. Each time I shoot one I kind of let it predict it’s own length.

I have one that is 4 minutes long on my site and many people have sat through the whole thing. Somebody a few comments back was suggesting they are two long at 60 seconds. My vote it keep them there, or longer.

I actually used a moving self portrait on my about page on my new site launch. Check it.

A

71. MikeD January 5, 2011 at 11:05 am #

Cool idea. It is defiantly capturing something different then a still. I might have to try this out sometime.

72. Jose Betancur January 11, 2011 at 12:28 pm #

I shoot yesterday the sculptor Miguel Angel Betancur, and try this 60 sec idea..

73. Kelly Minniti January 15, 2011 at 10:29 am #

I think this is brilliant! To look at his face and wonder what he is thinking. The medium gives no context as to where he is, or who is around him, or what he did 5 minutes before that or after. A face like the movement of the sea. What does the human face reveal? Perhaps if we slowed it down a tad to maybe read between the lines. Nice.

74. richNYC January 22, 2011 at 5:00 pm #

It’s funny as I just visited the Andy Warhol ‘Motion Pictures’ exhibit @ MoMA in NYC and it is very similar in scope to Chase’s portrait… Great minds think alike;)

Go see it, it really is worth it, esp. young Dennis Hopper is mesmerizing in these short screen tests projected onto museum walls…

75. Weston January 27, 2011 at 8:21 am #

Very interesting, you can really capture the “true” emotion in this clip. So simply and so moving, Nice job.

76. Nathan Williams February 11, 2011 at 10:01 pm #

I just made one of my 2 1/2 month old daughter! I’ll post a link to it on twitter (@vanearl) when i get it up on the net.

77. Christian April 9, 2011 at 11:41 am #

I like it because it’s different. It made me think about this person. Certainly an interesting project. Sounds you’ve got more in the pipeline.

78. Richard Jupe April 14, 2011 at 9:27 pm #

Hi Chase,
    Just wondering if you have seen the “50 people 1 question series”, in some way similar to your work here. I work for a local newspaper in Hobart, Tasmania and this seemed like a much more interesting way of doing the traditional vox pop. Either way, worht checking out…
    Cheers Richard

79. Scott in AZ April 26, 2011 at 1:13 pm #

I loved this for the mere fact that the longer I Iooked the more I realized details that I would of probably missed in a portrait.

80. Tyler G May 13, 2011 at 7:22 am #

Thanks for the idea! What a simple yet novel experience. Love the results… Will continue to utilize this one. http://www.vimeo.com/23671060 This was my daughter… stress the no coaching… love the candid response of all I have done thus far.

81. Jase September 29, 2011 at 12:03 am #

I feel that this works at it optimum when the subject has age on his/her side. Age builds character. I find it hard to think about what peoples lives have been like if the subject is a 20 year old model or 12 year old child for example. Chase, you are an inspiring man, Mike horn represents character, although a true perspective cannot be made about Mike, his build establishes at least some form of meaning in which we can build on, whether we know of Mike or not. Opinion is inevitable, despite these comments saying that we cannot form a true opinion.
    I am only an 18 year old Australian, so wouldn’t know as much about these concepts as many of the people who have previously posted before me, however am deeply inspired by your creative arts. Amazing stuff.

Anyone who would like to see an example of what I’m talking about by mentioning character, check out my quick first test of a 60 second portrait. Likewise, feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

82. John Barwood October 7, 2011 at 5:02 am #

Just re watched all the 60 second portraits again, I wasn’t struck the first time i watched them, which i think is more to do with the format, video tends (with me at least) to be watched more passively where as a photograph is quick to force you to look deeper, simply because it inherently has less stimulus within it. However on the second watch I was really taken back by them, the Mike Horn one is particularly amazing. Its hard to stare into another humans eyes and its interesting that its still hard when technically its just pixels. I think the mike horn one is special because a few times he looks away in a particularly nonchalant way which in me at least provoked the feeling that he was disinterested with me. Powerful stuff, well done Mr Javis!

83. Delena Westley December 23, 2012 at 7:01 am #

Why would bidders want the public in with them?

84. prius phoenix March 9, 2014 at 8:45 am #

Hi, I do believe this is an excellent site. I stumbledupon it ;) I’m going
    to return yet again since i have bookmarked it.

Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you be
    rich and continue to help other people.

1. Three Links: Rosh.com, 2011 tech and sixty second portrait | New Media Photographer | Digital marketing and Social Media - January 2, 2011

[...] second portrait [...]

2. RealCyclist.com Pro Cycling Team - JonnyAtencio.com - February 16, 2011

[...] world. This video really is the creation of several people. I had originally seen this “living portrait” shot by Chase Jarvis a while back. I knew instantly that this was something that we should [...]

3. Bewegende Portraits « Visual Rebellion - March 2, 2011

[...] wäre da Chase Jarvis’ 60 Second Portrait of Mike Horn, welches dem fotografischen Portrait noch sehr nahe kommt, diesem aber schon zwei weitere Ebenen [...]

4. 60 Second Landscape Challenge | Chase Jarvis Blog - May 6, 2011

[...] here with a quick little weekend video challenge for y’all.  In the spirit of Chase’s 60 Second Portraits, we’ve been toying with AND wanna see some of YOUR… 60 Second [...]

5. 60 Second Portraits… - June 9, 2011

[...] year I watched a 60 second portrait by Chase Jarvis. I not sure who came up with the concept but I loved it. The idea was to take a 60 second video of a [...]