PHOTO INDUSTRY: HELP US RAISE $5000 TODAY (FOR @CHARITYwater)

chase jarvis _ scott harrison _ charity waterFINAL UPDATE: Thank you, thank you, thank you! Together we raised $5000 — enough to build a fresh water well that will serve 250 families forever–and we did it in under 18 hours. Who makes this possible? YOU and http://www.charitywater.org. Please check them out and continue to give. Consider asking your friends and family to re-direct what they’d normally spend on your birthday this year and send it to charity: water. 100% (yes you read correctly) of your money goes directly to water projects…0% to administration and other peripheries. Again, many thanks! If you want to continue giving on this campaign, please do–I’ll leave the account open for donations until the end of the year – click here to see our donation page. My most humble gratitude to you and our community here.
——-

NEWEST UPDATE 5:30am Seattle time: We’re at 90% of our goal!! Just $450 short of building a well in Africa in one day with just a few hours left in this challenge. Please help – and please ask your network to help…we can’t do it without your support. Join the photo industry and donate here now. Thank you!
——————-
UPDATE: We’ve upped our game and decided to raise enough to build a new fresh water well TODAY TODAY TODAY that will provide water for 250 families. We’re giving ourselves 24 hours to raise $5000. We’re at 20% and need your help to reach our goal. I’d love to go on the air this evening on chasejarvisLIVE and announce that we have succeed already… Please help.

Donate here now – every dollar helps: http://mycharitywater.org/chasejarvis
——
TODAY’S Monday December 6th episode of chasejarvisLIVE is not to be missed. I’m not doing a live photo shoot and I’m not interviewing a photographer or a filmmaker. It’s bigger than that. In fact it’s bigger than photography and bigger than creativity. It transcends whatever it is that most of do on a day to day basis.

My guest is Scott Harrison and his story is about bringing clean water to 100 million people worldwide. His plan to do so is via one of the most dynamic and fast-growing non-profits in the world called charity: water.

My pal Michael Hebb (also my partner in Songs For Eating and Drinking) and I met Scott in Washington DC last spring. This man and his message rocked us, and we’re lucky enough to host him on our show just before his story airs on ABC’s 20/20 in ten days…seriously. Scott is an amazing creative mind and a dynamic and engaging speaker. He’s changing the world and his story will light a fire underneath you – whatever your passion might be. You’ll get to meet him on Monday if you tune in – even ask some questions live on the air via my twitter handle @chasejarvis or using #cjLIVE.

WHAT: You, Me, Hebb, Scott Harrison (and his 1.3 million twitter followers)
WHEN: Monday, December 6th at 6:30pm Pacific/9:30 Eastern USA
WHERE: point your browser to http://www.chasejarvis.com/live

From Fast Company magazine: “Scott Harrison hopes to turn charity: water into an epic brand that brings fresh water to 100 million people in need of something most of us take for granted. His journey is both inspiring and instructional for any entrepreneur.”

We’re trying to build a fresh water well in Africa with this one event in Seattle and online show. A well costs $5000. Please donate here – it’s tax deductible – anything is hugely appreciated.

Follow charity: water on Twitter.
Here’s a link about Scott and charity: water in the NYTimes.
Here’s a link to the lovely charity: water website.

See you Monday evening online.

22 Responses to PHOTO INDUSTRY: HELP US RAISE $5000 TODAY (FOR @CHARITYwater)

1. homer anthony medici December 5, 2010 at 2:09 pm #

damn,.. i think im gonna miss this because i my flight to the philippines is tomorow too.. :(

do you guys upload the live after in in youtube?

thanks

2. Andreas Roksvaag December 5, 2010 at 2:55 pm #

Cant wait!

3. Anne-Marie December 5, 2010 at 3:01 pm #

I’d love to see it too but I’m working, so a recorded version would be great. And that goes for your show with Jeremy Cowart too, it was so interesting and I’d really like to see it again !

Have a great night :-)

4. Dane December 5, 2010 at 5:21 pm #

Amazing!! I am also in transit and will not be able to see it. I would love to know if you upload anywhere??

5. B. Moore December 5, 2010 at 11:31 pm #

when are you going to post the video for the Jeremy Cowart interview?

the video that is archived on ustream is only 2mins long….

6. Aaron December 6, 2010 at 7:27 am #

Chris Harrison is awesome. He spoke at the church I go to a few Sunday’s ago. Amazing guy with an amazing mission.

7. Aaron December 6, 2010 at 7:27 am #

Haha, I don;t know why I wrote Chris…..SCOTT HARRISON IS AWESOME.

8. claude etienne December 6, 2010 at 9:38 am #

The people of Haiti would certainly benefit from this initiative. The cholera outbreak has been so devastating because most people here don’t have access to clean water. I’m really looking forward to watching this interview.

9. DanielKphoto December 6, 2010 at 9:45 am #

Unfortunately I’m gonna have to miss this :-( It’s 3:30 in the morning for my timezone :-(
    For those of you that can watch: enjoy!

10. claude etienne December 6, 2010 at 10:10 am #

Actually, they already are in Haiti.

11. David December 6, 2010 at 10:13 am #

Hey guys,
    I have an unrelated question and am not sure where to ask it, so at the risk of improper etiquette, here goes!

I’m just now opening my 15th 2TB drive this year and have old hard drives strewn around like Zip disks, I’m wondering if there is a better way to manage the new and old hard drives.

Your studio uses a LOT of hard drives and is constantly upgrading, replacing, mirroring and off-site-ing individual drives. How do you name them and label them to avoid confusion and ambiguity? Do you simply reuse the same names, kinda like the new Dread Pirate Roberts?

I understand that the RAID drives would have their requirements, but what about the smaller single drives like LiveWork that are rotated. Does each drive name stay LiveWork and get swopped out so that it is invisible to the Aperture system or is each drive given a suffix? (or is it just written on the enclosure that this drive is “LiveWork “B” circa 2010″?)

How do you handle the labeling of upgraded capacity drives and archiving old hard drives? Does the physical hard drive get tagged with it’s volume name and date and the replacement drive still keep the same volume name?

12. David December 6, 2010 at 10:24 am #

Oops, I thought I was posting off topic in the “whatever makes you nervous” entry!

charity: water is a much more important topic that hardware talk!

My apologies and I’ll be sure to watch ChaseJarvis Live this afternoon

13. Chris December 6, 2010 at 1:25 pm #

Hmm hope to watch some of it! But seeing as its 9:30PM where i am and i need to be up at 6:30am tomorrow I might miss it!

14. John C December 6, 2010 at 2:56 pm #

I’ll be here to watch! What a great mission for a good cause

15. Daniel December 6, 2010 at 3:34 pm #

Africa eh? I guess everyone forgot about a little island called Haiti? Its still a veritable war zone and has recently had a massive cholera outbreak… which comes from polluted water.

16. jose December 6, 2010 at 5:48 pm #

@ Daniel – They are in Haiti.

17. Rick A December 6, 2010 at 6:47 pm #

Chase, as much as we talk about mobility and moving past old models, I was a little disappointed not to be able to watch the Live Event on my iPad.

Rick

18. Henry L December 7, 2010 at 4:49 am #

Chase, Thank You for bringing to light a charity that is making a difference in more ways than just brining clean water to those in need, it’s changing lives.

This past week has been a lens changing week, with H-P and now charity:water, the questions I’ve been left with is… “Am I focused in the right direction?” and “Am I doing enough?”

19. Erin Wilson December 7, 2010 at 7:24 am #

I’m really hoping you’ll re-broadcast this one. There are a lot of folks I’d love to tell about it!

20. Kenna Klosterman December 7, 2010 at 9:21 am #

Amazing, touching, tear-jerking, educating, inspiring – so much wrapped up into Scott Harrison’s talk on CJLive last night. We photogs like to talk about how a picture is worth a thousand words. But a few alarming facts are also worth that and more… One billion people without clean drinking water. 50% of the schools worldwide without clean drinking water. These statistics alone conjure up images worth more than a thousand words in my mind. Thank you Chase for supporting charity:water on it’s path to providing 100 Million people with clean water in the next 10 years.

21. Chris Anderson December 7, 2010 at 11:05 am #

Was this recorded and is it/will it be available online? I saw this live last night but would like to share this incredible msg with a few folks. So inspired! Thanks CJ!

1. 127 Hours | Break It After You Buy It! - December 8, 2010

[...] Photographer, industry innovator and humanitarian, Chase Jarvis, has been one of my favorite photographers to virtually check in with on Twitter and [...]