Behind the Scenes at Fashion Week NYC

You could probably assume as much, but in the event that you didn’t know, NYC Fashion week is a huge event from which many of the forthcoming year’s fashion statements and styles emerge. It’s big for the fashion industry, and fashion PHOTOGRAPHY of course follows suit. But while the fashion mags and fashion blogs and fashion photogs always go nuts during these semi-annual events that smatter the globe–and I admit to dig following along from the sidelines–I’ve grown to think a lots of those photos seem from inside the fashion industry take on a similar stance/look/gravitas.

And it should be of little surprise, right? This happens in every industry–things from within often carry the same torch, the same vibe, the same message, just with subtly different content to the others within/around them. The challenge of “working from within” any industry is how to differentiate. Breaking that mold of sameness–IMHO from whatever industry or perspective–is what helps draw notice.

I guess it’s for that reason, that I was so interested and impressed when stumbling upon a behind the scenes gallery of images from NYC Fashion Week from the Boston Globe. These images were stunning and different. And born not from fashion photogs, but from journalists and news photogs with some sort of palpable undercurrent of fashion within them. A fashion “approach”? What I love about them, is that the images seem somehow suspended between the two genre. Or perhaps they bash both genre. I’m not sure. Are they news? Are they fashion? I suspect that news photogs would call them too fashion-y and fashion would call them pure news. The challenge rears it’s head again.

Regardless, I hope you’ll agree the gallery is stunning–some images more so than others, of course–but overall I am intrigued and damn impressed. A few more shots plus a link to 30 others after the jump…

boston globe. image by timothy a clary, afp, getty images

What you see here is just a sample. To see the full 36-image behind the scenes…or as editor Paula Nelson said “behind the fashion,” pop over to the Boston Globe gallery here.

30 Responses to Behind the Scenes at Fashion Week NYC

1. adanoliver February 21, 2011 at 9:38 am #

Amazing photos, as artistic as I like them to be.

2. Nick February 21, 2011 at 9:56 am #

Great shots! Uses the old tip about seeing where all the other photogs are shooting from and then go shoot your photos else where and your photos will stand out. Even more interesting are the reactions in the comments section under the photos on the Boston Globe site.

3. John McGarity February 21, 2011 at 10:00 am #

I’ve been following behind the scenes photos of fashion week, and fashion shows in general, for a few years now. I found the mix really interesting. It’s the revelation of another facet of something creative. And what you said about the similarities within industries, the mash-up of niches, it made me kind of laugh. I feel like its a lesson in photography that keeps teaching itself: photography tries to give itself structure with specialties, industries and markets, niches and sub-niches so specialized it would blow your mind. But the more you slice and dice it, the more it stays the same. Photo is photo, and as different as it all is, it functions in the same capacity. Emotional impact, & a natural unexpected response.

4. Danielkphoto February 21, 2011 at 10:16 am #

Definetely cool photos! I’m everything but a fashiongeek myself, but these photos are nice anyway :) thanks for sharing Chase.

5. TimR February 21, 2011 at 10:23 am #

I’ve always sensed a barrier between fashion and non-fashion photography blogs. Sometimes it’s as if it doesn’t even exist. Yet fashion has always been one of the richest most innovative areas of photography. Even if you don’t “like” clothes, the lighting alone should provide interest for any photographer. Only cinema rivals some of the mood and care that goes into some of the fashion shoots done today (and before).

So thanks, Chase, for breaking down that barrier a little.

6. ophlex February 21, 2011 at 10:36 am #

sweet!

7. Mathieu Wauters February 21, 2011 at 12:58 pm #

Great photos showing the other side of the fashion industry!

8. Gabriela Fuentes Photography February 21, 2011 at 2:26 pm #

I agree with you Chase. I was looking at the behind the scenes pictures from the New York Times, and they gave me the same feeling.

9. hd February 21, 2011 at 3:38 pm #

CHASE! check out Jeff Mermelstein’s work for New York Magazine at Fashion Week

10. Adam February 21, 2011 at 6:00 pm #

I’ve gotten so used to seeing video on your blog, it’s really nice to see stills. #32: Is that a hand held light meter? Do people still use those? A serious quesion: I am super removed from fashion photography, are those guys (fashion photographers) shooting film? Are there any niches still shooting film? Thanks, as always, for sharing.

• c.d.embrey February 21, 2011 at 10:05 pm #

I don’t know about people, but pros still use light meters. Movies, television, high-end photo shoots have not stopped using meters.

There is still some film being shot, Juergen Teller for one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBO1BsaTjM0&NR=1 That’s a Contax G2 he’s using.

11. Tom February 22, 2011 at 1:50 am #

I once bumped in to a Reuters photographer in a lounge at London’s Heathrow Airport. It was a relatively short conversation, but deeply inspirational. The same people who shot these images could very easily be covering a sports tournament next week, a bloody conflict or earthquake after that. It’s a diversity of a high end news photographer’s lot, and just how good they are at it, which always blows me away. None of them are really ‘names’, and because this stuff is relentlessly pumped out on the newswires 24/7, we forget just how good the people from the global news agencies really are. No lighting, no assistants, no art directors, just raw talent.

12. Nick Girard February 22, 2011 at 12:16 pm #

I really dig the Boston Globe and the photo series they publish. quality photoJ. thanks for turning me back on to this!

13. alexander jordan February 22, 2011 at 2:58 pm #

we’ve been doing this style for years at LFW mate;

14. Ryan Scott February 24, 2011 at 10:59 am #

I just looked through the entire set and really enjoyed it…a lot more than the “standard” runway photos that typically flood the internet around fashion week.

After looking through the photos and being so into the set, I was really surprised to look below and see so many maliciously negative comments on their website. It was like taking a breath of fresh air and then breathing in black smoke in the next. I was taken back a bit.

Thanks for linking to these. I probably wouldn’t usually have gravitated towards the photos otherwise. Cheers!

15. Quincy Geisler November 18, 2012 at 4:53 pm #

I located some data related to construction companies online that you might find an interest about.

16. Estefana Cary November 26, 2012 at 7:30 am #

Always good to find something new and interesting to learn from. Great website you’ve got here.

17. Harrison Penniman December 22, 2012 at 4:11 pm #

Hi there, I found your blog by way of Google while looking for a comparable topic, your web site came up, it seems to be good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

18. Vintage Traffic December 24, 2012 at 8:43 am #

Perfect ! Subscribe to my Facebook page if you want to be inspired !

19. Sommer Hellgren March 27, 2013 at 9:44 pm #

I wish to exhibit my appreciation to the author just for bailing me out of these kinds of a difficulty. As being a result of looking out through the the net and coming across concepts that ended up being not impressive, I used to be dreaming my existence was gone. Present minus the answers to the problems you’ve got resolved like a result of your great guideline is really a important case, and the variety that may have badly damaged my total vocation if I hadn’t observed your word wide web blog. Your individual personal know-how and kindness in using consideration of just about every portion was vital. I don’t know what I would have done if I hadn’t encountered these kinds of a stuff like this. I could also at this position seem forward to my potential. Thank you very much for this trusted and consequence oriented guidebook. I won’t hesitate to refer your website weblog to any particular person who requires guidance on this problem.

20. prayer March 31, 2013 at 3:03 am #

I’ve been surfing online over three or more hrs currently, yet I by no means observed any intriguing guide like yours. It’s fairly well worth sufficient for me. In my view, if all webmasters and bloggers made beneficial written content as you did, the web is going to be far more helpful than at any time earlier than.

21. click here! February 21, 2014 at 11:55 pm #

Hello, for SEO genuine contents are in fact needed, if you simply make a copy and paste then you can not rated in search engines.

22. additional reading April 8, 2014 at 7:33 pm #

Please add new videos related to cooking if you have, for the reason that I desire to learn more and more about all recipes of cooking.

23. louboutin pas cher france April 9, 2014 at 8:31 pm #

You made some good points there. I looked on the net for more information
    about the issue and found most people will go along with your views on this website.

louboutin pas cher france

24. useful content May 31, 2014 at 6:02 pm #

Get the facts

25. Shameka Fagen June 10, 2014 at 10:56 am #

voyance par telephone ile de franceConsulter the magnifique internet site: voyance gratuite amour

26. fifa 15 coins xobx 360 August 18, 2014 at 5:46 pm #

I like this post, enjoyed this one regards for putting up. “I would sooner fail than not be among the greatest.” by John Keats.

27. Will Reffitt September 26, 2014 at 12:57 am #

Hi there! I’m at work browsing your blog from my new iphone 3gs! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the outstanding work!

1. Tweets that mention Behind the Scenes at Fashion Week NYC | Chase Jarvis Blog -- Topsy.com - February 21, 2011

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Chase Jarvis, John Batdorff II, Gregg, Vanessa Wozcniaki, JohnPDunnigan and others. JohnPDunnigan said: RT @chasejarvis: Stunning & beautiful behind-the-scenes photos from #fashion week NYC http://bit.ly/hUYEUb [...]