chasejarvis LIVE on Wednesday Feb 9 — Taking Any & All Your Questions.

ask chase jarvisWhenever I give a talk or host a show, I’ve heard from this community time and again that one of the most valuable things is the Q&A wrap up. Straight up. You asking questions and me doing my best to answer them. And not just the “how’d you get started in photography” questions…. we’re talking the hard questions, landing clients, hiring staff, working with challenging clients, legal questions, gear questions, portfolio questions, whatever you can muster…

As such, we’re dedicating and entire 90 minute chasejarvisLIVE show to this topic this Wednesday. We will take some questions LIVE via the #cjlive or #AskChase hashtag on Twitter (follow @chasejarvis here) during the broadcast, however, so that we can be organized and get through as many questions as possible, please frame your questions below in the comments. Don’t be shy. Ask away. Anything is fair game. Whatever it is you really want to know about with photography and video–your questions and the dirty truth.

Who: You, Me + a worldwide gathering of photographers and filmmakers
What: I’ll be answering any/all the questions you can throw at me in 90 minutes
When: this coming Wednesday, February 9th at 10:00am Seattle time (1pm NYC or GMT -8)
Where: just visit www.chasejarvis.com/LIVE
How to get your questions on the show: ASK THEM IN THE COMMENTS BELOW

I’ll bring your questions from the comments below onto the show and give you a shoutout for asking your question. You + me, mono y mono. And if I don’t know the answer, I might even make a cell phone call to get you the info you want. You get the point.

It’s free, it’s LIVE, and apologies but this video won’t be re-posted for a very very long time (if ever), so please tune in LIVE if you can. (We’re in a technical gear/podcast/youtube transition at the moment, figuring some stuff out.)

Ask your questions below in the comments. Hope to see you Wednesday. The more people participate in this event, the more interesting it will be for everyone involved, so feel free to invite your photo friends.

282 Responses to chasejarvis LIVE on Wednesday Feb 9 — Taking Any & All Your Questions.

1. Adam Lam February 7, 2011 at 11:12 am #

What is your driving force in creating images and when did you first believe you made it?

2. ray February 7, 2011 at 11:12 am #

if you could only afford one strobe set up what would you choose? i.e. Light, Softbox, Umbrella, stand

• Wei Han Frank Lin February 7, 2011 at 12:11 pm #

Almost the same question I was going to ask, and to add a bit of different angle… which one or two strobe setup would get the most milage and rage of photography work?

• Ka-Poon Chan February 7, 2011 at 4:06 pm #

If you were to get a one strobe or 2 strobes, what set up would you do with the lights in positioning for a portrait i:e angles on a normal light stand or a boom slightly to left or right? please can you give us some examples please? Many thanks

3. Gareth Mc Givern February 7, 2011 at 11:13 am #

Really excited about this!

4. Jesse Bone February 7, 2011 at 11:13 am #

Hey Chase,

I would really like to hear more about business planning. I am trying to get things hashed out for the year. Maybe any tips, resources?

Cheers,

Jesse

5. Josh P February 7, 2011 at 11:13 am #

Chase why do you choose Nikon over canon

• Tyler Haegele February 7, 2011 at 1:07 pm #

b/c he likes the underdog status lol

• Relle February 8, 2011 at 12:06 am #

lol Tyler! umm Josh P, if you own a Nikon you’d know why :)

6. Oliver February 7, 2011 at 11:14 am #

Hey Chase,
    Have you been through any creative blocks? And if you have how did you manged to get through them?
    Thanks,
    Oliver

• Henry February 7, 2011 at 1:13 pm #

Hi Chase, Have you ever been through times where you doubted that photography is the right thing to do and where you were about to quit although being successful? If so, how did you get out of this?

Thanks,
      Henry

7. Jose Betancur February 7, 2011 at 11:16 am #

What are the things you look forward in a portfolio?

What are the key elements you would like to find there?

• evan February 7, 2011 at 11:29 am #

great question, DITTO

• Luis Murillo February 7, 2011 at 11:39 am #

I too would like to know the answer to this one…

• Vijay February 7, 2011 at 11:40 am #

This was exactly the same question I wanted to ask. So two people want this.
      Thanks Chase, for this opportunity. Do your magic now!

• diala chinedu February 7, 2011 at 4:06 pm #

I want to know the answer to this one too

8. Alex Cican February 7, 2011 at 11:16 am #

How much has blogging about photography and being active on social media helped your business and getting new clients.

9. Joe Alonzo February 7, 2011 at 11:16 am #

When did you feel you really “made it” in the industry and what did it take to get there?

• Mark Petinga February 7, 2011 at 7:44 pm #

Chase,

My question stems from this one. How did you break through the hobby and turn it into a career? More specifically, how did you first start making money with your work? Are there more important things to focus on? Thanks in advance for doing this. You are a beast!

Mark Petinga

10. Andrew Petersen February 7, 2011 at 11:16 am #

Do you shoot film at all and if so what kind, and what camera / format?

11. EYEJAMMY February 7, 2011 at 11:17 am #

I know you have a staff, but prior to having your staff, how did you go about finding your crew? and what roles do you generally have when you are on a big production? this is for photography and film work, either or.

12. René Hildebrand February 7, 2011 at 11:17 am #

Hello Chase,
    can we see you on Photokina 2012 in Germany ? :)

13. Rustin Moore February 7, 2011 at 11:17 am #

How do you manage condensation and heat? I shoot destination vacations and always have issues shooting on beaches. The condensation, not only scares me, but fogs my lenses once i leave the hotel. Also, shooting video on a SLR on the beach in the heat often gives me a heat indicator on the lcd. I shoot with a Canon 60D

• melanie February 7, 2011 at 11:20 am #

You may want to look into one of the higher end weather resisitant Canon’s for issues like this?

• JConnphoto February 7, 2011 at 6:20 pm #

If you have time between leaving the hotel and getting to the beach try putting the camera (with lens attached) in a large ziploc bag with some of those silicon packets they put in shoe boxes. Keep it in the bag a few minutes until the camera body has a chance to warm up to the air temp. This will help keep moisture off the sensor. At least it works for me. No advice for the heat indicator. We don’t get that hot here in MA!

14. peter danger February 7, 2011 at 11:17 am #

Using your hack on the lowepro flipside 400 aw will I be able to fit my 15″ macbook?

• Paul Roupas February 9, 2011 at 6:39 am #

No way, not big enough. 13″ laptops are even pushing it…and that requires your to cut the inside to allow it to have more room to slide down.

15. Adam February 7, 2011 at 11:18 am #

Besides the simple answer of “network, network network” what are some tactics you’ve found useful for landing “big” clients?

• Harry February 8, 2011 at 1:46 am #

yes. It is quite frustrating that after all the networking, great portfolio, loads of meetings & follow ups…nothing happens…

• Nate February 8, 2011 at 6:18 am #

Yes, my question too.

16. heAther February 7, 2011 at 11:18 am #

aww thanks chase! what kind of photography do you usually use you 50mm lense for?

17. camcorp February 7, 2011 at 11:18 am #

how do you balance creativity and business?
    To enter the business, you have to be what the market want, or express your 100% creativity or something in the middle?

18. Anderson Smith February 7, 2011 at 11:18 am #

Hey Chase,

I was wondering if you would be interested as a future guest on my new photography show 1 Hour Photo on ArmadaFM.com. It is a show about everything photography and for us to have a forum on air open to all skill levels. It would be great to have you for a future show.

Thanks

Anderson

19. Charlie Dennis February 7, 2011 at 11:18 am #

I know this seems a little cliche, but how did you get into commercial photography? For branches like landscapes, nature and wildlife, the answers seem quite straightforward, but I can’t fathom how you became a commercial shooter. What led you to this line of work?

20. Stephanie February 7, 2011 at 11:18 am #

Hi Chase,

Which program(s) do you use for backing up/archiving your photos and why?

Thanks!

21. melanie February 7, 2011 at 11:18 am #

How do you create a nice light effect with Flash without looking sharp and where the subject doesn’t look too popped out fo the background. Almost mi micking the look of window light on a subject standing at teh front of a long hallway. Hope that makes sense. I see this effect on some of Cliff Mauntner’s work as well…it’s very clean and yet warma nd artistic.

22. Sid Ceaser February 7, 2011 at 11:18 am #

Heya Chase!

Could you talk a little about image licensing? Especially when dealing with commercial clients (like bands and musicians?). What is a good way to researching licensing fees? I’ve heard to treat a creative fee as the income that covers your overhead, and the licensing fee as your “profit”. What is a good way to factor licensing fees into pricing without confusing the client driving them off to the “craigslist” shooters and pricing structures?

Thanks!
    Cheers,
    Sid

• Jeremy February 7, 2011 at 4:39 pm #

I have this question as well. And also what advice would you give an up and comer on pricing in general? I know a lot depends on what market you are in and how in-demand you are as well as what type of photography you are doing. Thanks.

• Chase February 9, 2011 at 9:57 am #

I love this question Chase and also along with that, theres a great amount of talk on “how to for the camera”, but could you talk “how to on the business side”?

2 biggies:
      Contracts
      Insurance

23. Bob Ewing February 7, 2011 at 11:19 am #

The photo industry is tough gear wise. How much do you think gear matters in the grand scheme of things. I know you are a big supporter of the best camera is the one you have with you, but in the professional market. And I am not necessarily talking about major professional jobs, more geared toward something just getting going.

Thanks and as always your an inspiration.

• Wei Han Frank Lin February 7, 2011 at 12:17 pm #

I have a smiler question as I now have a good camera and few lenses, and want to see what should my next gear investment be… like Bob said, not major production, but inline with professional development…

24. Chris Alwin February 7, 2011 at 11:19 am #

what do you guys use for sound recording, when filming with HDDSLR? just that we had some people in the shop today asking how to do it because they wanted a feedback socket to hear the sound they’re recording.

25. michael February 7, 2011 at 11:19 am #

Chase,

First, thanks for doing this. I think its one of the best things about the photographic community today is this openness and sharing mentality.

For my question: I feel like I’m stuck, I just finished school with a non-related degree and for the last six months I’ve been trying to “break” into the editorial and commercial photography industry without success. What do you feel are the most effective ways for someone like myself to get their name out there – get my foot in the door? With the influx of new photographers and advanced amateurs and the downsizing of print media across the board what can a photographer do to help get their images noticed in the crowd?

Thanks again for all the advice and inspiration over the last few years!

Michael

26. Shivakumar February 7, 2011 at 11:19 am #

How do you get the first break into the commercial world. Considering having done a wide range of portfolio of photography work as hobbyist, how do we take it up to the next level and where do we start.

27. Chris Bowers February 7, 2011 at 11:20 am #

Chase,

How do you find corporate clients? Does Nikon, Sandisk, REI etc. contact you, or do you pitch an idea to them? How did you first establish these relations? For less experienced photographers, how would we start making local connections with corporations that need photography work done?

Chris

28. Wes Jones February 7, 2011 at 11:20 am #

When your out making photographs what is it that ‘makes’ an image. I mean everyone has the ability to go out and take pictures, and I’m sure that a handful have taken a few that really hold some merit even if they were purely accidental.

I believe that heres a level between amateur and professional grade imagery, and people may be on either side of that line without knowing it. So where does that line fall?

Is it that others judge this, or is it a personal feeling.

29. Doug Robertson February 7, 2011 at 11:21 am #

What about being a creative is most frightening to you?
    How do you face/overcome that fear?

30. Craig L February 7, 2011 at 11:21 am #

Your a guy big on social media and a likes. Ever fancy doing something for this http://picbod.org? or some sort of Live feed for Photography/Media Students at Coventry about your work and career?

Craig, UK

31. Vallen Alexander Gillett February 7, 2011 at 11:22 am #

Hey Chase!! I just wanted to ask, what do you think about the Nikon D7000?

32. Samuel Eli February 7, 2011 at 11:22 am #

Im fairly new to the business. Extremely passionate about photography and progression. My question will be…Do ad agencies only deal with photography agencies? How did you get your break? Did your agent reachout to you?

LOVE your work and drive bro.

33. doug February 7, 2011 at 11:23 am #

How do u get the most out of your models / subjects

How do yu choose the images you use for your portfolio

If yu shoot an event or wedding how do u go about shot selection and balance candid versus influenced shots

34. Patrick O February 7, 2011 at 11:23 am #

What are some key things to look for in terms of putting together a portfolio?

35. PatrikTG February 7, 2011 at 11:23 am #

What kind of paperwork and permits do I need to shoot somthing for a commercial, in New York ? And where would I enquire those papers?

36. Jacob February 7, 2011 at 11:24 am #

whats the biggest mistake you have ever made on a shoot that you havnt repeated ? ( format card, leave a camera on a mountain etc )

37. Christian Gibson February 7, 2011 at 11:24 am #

How did you get the look on your photo you shot for apple, the guy with no top on? (been dying to know how to get that look for years, I love it!)

How much would a art graphics GCSE help me in photography, Is it good for me to have to stick to some guidelines sometimes or should I carry on just coming up with my own creative concepts?

Keep up the sweet work :)

38. Bram Timmer February 7, 2011 at 11:24 am #

This might be the most useful Q+A I’ll ever sit in on. Thanks!

Shooting celebrity events or fashion runway, a lot of the time I get asked to attend and get free press entry. I’ve done this a couple of times but really see no point in it. I don’t have the connections in order to sell any of the photos that do come from it, and event shots are in itself quite dull. How to approach a scenario like this? How or who to charge for your time and efforts? How do you get the word out that your shots can be picked up by magazines etc.?

Commercial assignments versus personal assignments, do the talent release forms vary at all? Does the agency usually take care of the paperwork for commercial gigs or is it on you?

39. Chris February 7, 2011 at 11:24 am #

Question about contracts & compensation:

In my (somewhat limited) experience, despite ASMP, PPA, etc. advice, with some clients (smaller ones), any sort of limitations on use of images (whether they’re print run quantity limits, time period limits, geographical limits, residual fees if any of these limits are exceeded, etc.) are real, big, huge turnoffs. The clients simply want to own the images, and be able to do whatever they want with them.

How do you handle this? Does your standard contract include limitations of this sort? (Do you even use a standard contract?) Do you only provide these limitations for certain size clients? Are each of these things things that are negotiated, which you will waive in return for higher compensation?

In general, how does your compensation structure work? Do you typically use a day rate-plus-expenses structure, or do you charge various usage fees?

Finally, when you’re bidding on a project, do you consider the size of your client, or is your rate simply your rate, and it does not change?

Thanks very much.

40. Richard Stern February 7, 2011 at 11:25 am #

I’m wanting to move out of amateur into professional photography. I’ve had formal training, but my degree was not in art or photography. Should I be looking to get on as someone’s assistant first, or push on head first for myself?

41. Dan February 7, 2011 at 11:25 am #

Insurance!

How do you deal with health insurance for yourself and employees (I’ve always had health insurance through my employer).

Equipment insurance…as I’ve started to acquire nicer equipment, I’ve gotten more gun-shy of taking it to actually USE it…since it could be stolen or broken.

Any details or suggestions on these would be very helpful!

I’d also be great if you could gear the answer towards a novice/hobbyist (so limited budget) looking to eventually make the leap to pro.

Sorry for the boring, (but I think important) question….I’m sure there will be plenty more interesting/creative questions.

Thanks so much!

• Jessica February 7, 2011 at 11:28 am #

this is definitely a great question and one i have been wondering also. I hope he answers it! =)

42. Andy February 7, 2011 at 11:25 am #

You obviously have a lot of people that look up to you. Do you have any modern photographers from which you draw inspiration?

• Optic Bard February 7, 2011 at 12:04 pm #

I am really interested in this as well. Who are your personal inspirational photographers?

43. snoboardp February 7, 2011 at 11:26 am #

Quick one: I’m looking for a ballhead, which is your favorite?

44. Eugene G. February 7, 2011 at 11:26 am #

Hello, Chase!
    I recently discovered the joys of HD dSLR video filming. Any quick tips on the camera settings or techniques? Videos I take tend to be bland in color and mediocre in sharpness (no postprocessing applied) in comparison with yours ))))

Thx!

Eugene

45. Jessica February 7, 2011 at 11:26 am #

My biggest question at this stage of my career is how to land clients from afar? Meaning if you’re not located in a big metropolitan city and you’re looking to get into big time/budget commercial and editorial work, how do you land that clientele if at all possible. Especially since it is hard to get representation if you’re not already an established big time name.

Looking Fwd To Wed,
    Jessica Rutledge

46. Caleb February 7, 2011 at 11:28 am #

As with many photographers there is a balance between whimsy and reality. How do you shape your romantic affair with Photography? Many photographers I see have gear lust…that’s their competition…and sometimes their downfall. How did you, in the inception of your passion and career, find the balance between pursuing your dream and protecting your and your families future?

47. christian February 7, 2011 at 11:29 am #

Just grabbed a new nikon D7000 after reading your review and watching the short film. Love what you did and hope to replicate similar results.

Q: When shooting and testing for a client such as Nikon, is there a limit to the creative freedom, budget or objectives you are given? And is shooting such a project as fun as it looks?

thanks,
    @bluecollard on twitter.

48. Chad Bishop February 7, 2011 at 11:29 am #

What (position) was your first full-time hire/employee in your studio? In retrospect, would it be the same now?

Was there a defined “tipping point” in your career – that first glimpse of national client awareness and respect for your work? If so, what was it – an idea, a person, a client, a project, an image? Can you provide a specific tactics beyond the work itself that someone may employ to accomplish this?

49. Scott Poborsa February 7, 2011 at 11:30 am #

What are the best ways of getting in with studios or starting your own commercial studio fresh out of school? What would you look for if you were hiring a second photographer for your business?

50. Mark February 7, 2011 at 11:30 am #

How can one afford to purchase better equipment without having you save and never spend a dime on anything else for months on end?

51. Mike February 7, 2011 at 11:30 am #

Do you use mailing list services, i.e. Agency Access and if so, what was your contact rate when you first started? What is your feeling about receptiveness of buyers to these services? Worth it?

52. John February 7, 2011 at 11:30 am #

Why are so many famous professional photographers now spending more than half their time teaching (whether in workshops, books, or videos) and then telling people that you can still make a living in Photography?

53. Abhi Inamdar February 7, 2011 at 11:30 am #

You’ve managed to show stuff regarding your work flow,location scouting,gear,basecamp, but nothing related to accounting from the guys handling your accounts at your office. how does it work when you get a obtain a contract with respects to handling the financial matters(not sure if you mentioned that earlier, i might have missed it).Also,Can you also discuss stuff related to the investment aspects this time?

Best,
    Abhi.

54. dDavid February 7, 2011 at 11:30 am #

Hey guys,

I’m just now opening my 15th 2TB drive this year and have old hard drives strewn around like Zip disks, I’m wondering if there is a better way to manage the new and old hard drives.

Your studio uses a LOT of hard drives and is constantly upgrading, replacing, mirroring and off-site-ing individual drives. How do you name them and label them to avoid confusion and ambiguity? Do you simply reuse the same names, kinda like the new Dread Pirate Roberts?

I understand that the RAID drives would have their requirements, but what about the smaller single drives like LiveWork that are rotated. Does each drive name stay LiveWork and get swopped out so that it is invisible to the Aperture system or is each drive given a suffix? (or is it just written on the enclosure that this drive is “LiveWork “B” circa 2010″?)

How do you handle the labeling of upgraded capacity drives and archiving old hard drives? Does the physical hard drive get tagged with it’s volume name and date and the replacement drive still keep the same volume name?

Thanks,
    David

55. Vegar Bones February 7, 2011 at 11:31 am #

Hey Chase!
    Speaking about creativity. If there is a period in you’re life (past or present) when you feel creativity taking a dive for the sake of a busy life, do you feel a need to create. And is this where personal work emerge?

Vegar

56. Kiev Basaca February 7, 2011 at 11:31 am #

Hi Chase, any plans in visting philippines or any part in asia? and do a workshop?

57. Jordan Wright February 7, 2011 at 11:31 am #

There are a lot of cool new possibilities with the advent of the digital age, but as far as picture quality goes, film is still superior. So why is it that filmmakers and photographers alike are going through so much trouble to get their shot but settle for less than the best?

58. Bogdan February 7, 2011 at 11:31 am #

What were your biggest revelations that helped you move forward your photography ?
(Technically and creatively speaking)

B.R
    Norway

59. Franz Scheurer February 7, 2011 at 11:31 am #

Having a full camera system for work is one thing, but lugging the 40odd kilos around on holidays is not much fun. What do you use as a light, always-with-you travel camera?

60. Garth February 7, 2011 at 11:32 am #

What are some of the most effective ways to get the attention of commercial clients, art buyers, etc. to get the proverbial “foot in the door”? I find the marketing side of the business of photography overwhelming and confusing.

Thanks
    Garth

61. Janne February 7, 2011 at 11:32 am #

How do you do your business planning and budgeting for the year? Quarterly planning & review?

What are the sources of your income and what’s the relative split of those?

62. jonathan February 7, 2011 at 11:32 am #

Hey Chase,
    I’ve been into photography but only now starting to get into because of my 1st DSLR (nikon d3100).

I’m after a off camera flash, is it best to get something like a SB-900 or something thats a cheap substitute (i.e http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/67558/show.html?cm_vc=PPZ1)?

63. Dave Ellis February 7, 2011 at 11:32 am #

I seem to recall that your workflow goes through Aperture. How do you speed up the process on tight deadlines?

64. Chris Dowswell February 7, 2011 at 11:33 am #

Hey chase,
    If you could only afford one quality NIKON lens to get going with, which would it be and why!? Recommendations?

Thanks so much… Photog’s (like yourself) and others dropping knowledge is SO appreciated.

Peace.

65. John Fleming February 7, 2011 at 11:34 am #

Considering the technological pace, how you think the photography industry will look in another five years? Ten?

How can photographers maintain a creative edge over GWC’s (guys with cameras?).

66. Marc Levi February 7, 2011 at 11:34 am #

How do you price commercial shoots and what is an average you charge per commercial shoot?

67. belle February 7, 2011 at 11:34 am #

I’m planning to do off camera speedlight portraits. Currently I’m using a tripod as a speedlight stand. I’d like to buy some Manfrotto type stands for my speedlight setup. Which stands would you recommend for using with speedlights. The stands need to be small and lightweight to carry around with me. Thanks.

68. Jamie February 7, 2011 at 11:36 am #

As a self taught photographer who’s only really shot for fun, I get lost on what are probably most people’s basics. I want to expand and grow as a business, but workflow can be a hang up. Where can I find out how photographers operate on a day to day basis? Like – everything from processing images to what the client expects to see to needed forms and releases?

69. Chad Bishop February 7, 2011 at 11:37 am #

Can you speak a little about how turning down projects effects or has effected your career path, growth, personal development, financial planning, etc.? What was the hardest project you’ve ever turned down?

70. marlon February 7, 2011 at 11:37 am #

I plan on building a photobooth – what do you think is a good external flash?

71. Casper T February 7, 2011 at 11:38 am #

Hi Chase,

What’s your advice to people starting out with portrait photography and on a students budget where lightning gear is very very limited? Natural light?

Also, got a quick DIY tip on making a good white seamless background without an expensive stand and paper?

72. Marc Heinzman February 7, 2011 at 11:38 am #

What techniques do you use to build a strong rapport with your photo subjects and to get them to feel at ease in front of the camera? For example, in your Seattle 100 book, everyone looked very at ease, and some even looked like they were having a great time. Do you give them instructions to do certain actions other than just the basic posing to get a more dynamic image?

73. Abhi Inamdar February 7, 2011 at 11:38 am #

another thing, how about having future CJ Live sessions in the evening, when we at back at home away from work :D

#2: Whats the best way you could critique “our” work? Does CJ ever do that?

74. Weikerken Altema February 7, 2011 at 11:40 am #

I like to shoot outdoors, I would like to get an office/studio like yours one day. When is it the right time?!

75. Cody Min February 7, 2011 at 11:40 am #

1. How do you edit on the road, then get the project from the road aperture library, to the one in studio, while allowing for original adjustments to be changed.
    2. Where do you shop for clothes? (your style is intriguing) :P

76. Anonymous February 7, 2011 at 11:42 am #

Hey Chase,

I know you’re a big believer and promoter of being transparent in hopes of shedding light into the big black box of photography. Is there any line you will draw when doing this? That is, is there absolutely no need anymore to keep any “trade secrets” to yourself in order to keep a competitive edge or differentiate yourself from the market?

I had a blast mentoring a friend of mine for about two years, openly sharing all my techniques, workflow, and business approaches. They became my first assistant, accompanying me on almost all my shoots. Funny enough, their work and brand is a splitting image of mine now probably not out of a desire to copy me but rather the transfer of information that has happened over the last couple of years.

Thanks!

77. Puneet February 7, 2011 at 11:44 am #

hey chase what about newbies who want to break into lifestyle and fashion industry ?
    I mean should I target the magazines first? or directly contact an art director of some brand? Or are the agencies and agents worth a shot ?

what is the best way to display your portfolio to an art director ?

78. Just Some Dude February 7, 2011 at 11:46 am #

How does a person who grew up poor and retains a horde of petrifying insecurities into adulthood overcome fear and get to making images? Can a non-driver with no formal training who is afraid of breaking gear they can’t afford to replace head out on their own, without help, to make ideas a reality?

79. Sam Hall February 7, 2011 at 11:46 am #

I have seen Promotion TV ads where the actors are frozen and the video camera moves 360 degrees around the actors How is this achieved and have you done this effect in any of your videos?

Thanks

Sam Hall

80. William February 7, 2011 at 11:49 am #

Hello, Chase! Your videos and blog posts are an amazing inspiration to me.

I’m a student (studying graphic and web design) who really, really, really loves photography. I’m trying to start my own graphic/web design and photography business — but I’m wondering, how to photographers afford their equipment? I go to school, go to college part time, have a part time job, and also work web design part time. I’m really working hard, but lenses and camera bodies are really expensive.

To sum up: do you have any tips for up-and-coming photographers about how to afford equipment? Also, I’m a Nikon shooter, do you know if they offer discounts or perks to students?

Thanks, Chase, you’re the best!

81. Lukas February 7, 2011 at 11:53 am #

Where are you looking for the inspiration (modern photographers, blogs, paintings)? How do you relax? I mean do you have a days without your camera? Because I sometimes feel totally exhausted and I don’t want to see camera (I’m a photojournalist in daily newspaper in the Czech republic):-)

Thanks a lot.

82. Trevor February 7, 2011 at 11:54 am #

Like others here, I’m curious how you build your rates. You’ve got staff… So is there a “cost of doing business” baseline that you include in rates to cover the basic cost of keeping the lights on? Or do you build your rates piece by piece? How does licensing figure in, and do you ever do usage buyouts (while retaining the copyright)?

Thanks for doing this!

83. Matt February 7, 2011 at 11:54 am #

Hi Chase,
    great idea. So here´s my question. How did you approached your first agencies/art directors/agents? Portfoliobooks etc.. Did you got offensive or did just waited for word by mouth assignments?
    THx
    Matt

84. Daniel February 7, 2011 at 11:55 am #

How do you come up with ideas for your videos? What is the best way to get more people interested in hiring me for photography?

85. Philipp Ulrich February 7, 2011 at 11:58 am #

Yeah, I’m pretty naughty, but I have more than one question:

- Do you own a RED kit or do you rent one when you need to work with it?
    - What do you think about the iMac 27″ for editing?
    - This one is a bit silly, but: What car is that in your workflow vid, Escalade?

Thank you so much for taking the time!

86. Tim Kennedy February 7, 2011 at 12:01 pm #

Before you were shooting for large clients (with large budgets) how did you support yourself as a commercial photographer? How did you obtain these clients? How did you deal with charging appropriately and dealing with “not in our budget”. How did you deal with licensing with small clients who did not understand limited use, or would get angry when given different prices for different licenses (maybe that’s just my experience!).

Also (to save myself in the future) what kind of contract do you have to prevent clients from firing you without payment?

Thanks in advance Chase.

Story pertaining to previous question for any readers. People aren’t always as nice as you are! :

I did 1/4 of a shoot for a client (the other person was not told by their assistant I was coming) and was rescheduled to finish a month and a half later. Client asked me 2 days before the rescheduled shoot for all of the images so they could view them. I sent them small res files with no color correction (strobes indoors with florescent office lights and outdoor light – pictures were orange) when they asked about the color I told them I hadn’t adjusted them, fully edited one picture (I was going to use it for my portfolio anyway) and sent them a copy with a large watermark on it. They asked for all the pictures color corrected and when I said no they fired me at 8am before I was scheduled to be there 10am the day of the shoot. They then offered me $75 for that one picture I had completed. I never responded and was horrified that anyone could do that type of thing. I didn’t even respond with my own price on that one image. I was never paid for anything.

87. Austin February 7, 2011 at 12:01 pm #

Do clients always give you total creative freedom or do your ideas and concepts often get changed by clients? If so does it bother you?

88. Michael Seneschal February 7, 2011 at 12:02 pm #

What is your take on Art vs. Workflow as it relates to business?

I know the canned answer is, “make the best photos you possibly can and everything will fall into place”. Seriously though… in a real-world-not-everyone-jumps-outta-helicopters kinda way.

89. Chad February 7, 2011 at 12:02 pm #

How do you best approach someone to photograph on their land?

90. Martin February 7, 2011 at 12:03 pm #

Hy Chase,

What lens should I buy.
    I have a Nikon D300 with a 18-200 vr, 50 mm 1.8 prime and a Tamron 17-55 2.8

What should I buy for a new lens choice:
    70-200vr 2.8
    or a 24-70 2.8
    For concert and wedding photography.
    What lens would you recommend.

91. G Allard February 7, 2011 at 12:04 pm #

Think back to where you were professionally 10-12 years ago. Now, add today’s current tools and technology. What would you do differently? And, more importantly, what would you do the same?

92. keaten February 7, 2011 at 12:04 pm #

How did you first start landing the higher end clients?

93. Allan February 7, 2011 at 12:05 pm #

What is the first thing you look at when costing a job. Is there a formula you have for pitch and price large job?

94. Lainer February 7, 2011 at 12:05 pm #

Chase,

I know you’ve delved into how to back up your files from beginning to end. Call me stupid. I still find it confusing; especially on how to save the files, (DNG? Other? RAW in the format that came from camera), and how to batch save using keywords, labeling, and more. I know I should have at least one extra hard drive, and one off-site, but I am very confused at how to do all of this. I am a hobbyist photographer. No one has been able to really break it down into dummy steps.

For instance:
    1. take picture
    2. move files to external hard drive
    3. data process files using… (a browser, Bridge, lightroom, aperture, some other program?). Also, which is the best program to use that just gives you all the info in one place to where your file is located? this is where I get confused. (Maybe you can make a DVD of this process? Longer than the last one. I got confused by all of it.) If I save my file in Aperture or Lightroom, does it duplicate a file, save the original, or just save info without touching the actual file? How do I keep switching hard drives and moving all of this data without losing the info or whereabouts? It’s confusing!

4. Maybe do a DVD like the DAM book, but easier to understand.
    5. How do you label and save these files? Is it date first and subject? (for instance: 02-07-11 dog, 02-07-11 dog)?

Right now, my files are all in chaos on my external hard drive. I’m sure I have duplicates thanks to iPhoto, which I hate. Apertuire is too confusing.
    Anyway, that would take a whole show itself.

• Jay February 7, 2011 at 11:44 pm #

So many questions, but figuring you’ll take a few on ‘taking amateur photography to the next level’, I’ll cast my vote for this one, too! I also hate iPhoto and would like to figure out a better method of transferring and archiving photos. What do you do?

95. Pim Hendriksen February 7, 2011 at 12:06 pm #

What big assignment or area in your career felt like your break throught?

96. sara February 7, 2011 at 12:08 pm #

What organization would you donate working (film camera bodies, lenses, flash, cases) gear to in the Seattle area? Gear that’s useable, but only worth a few hundred bux, hopefully having more value in the hands of a kid or a student – looking for some place ‘younger’ than PCNW.

97. jasra February 7, 2011 at 12:11 pm #

can you suggest me the best of the best lens for low light wedding photography for nikon

98. Mia February 7, 2011 at 12:14 pm #

Nikon d300s or nikon d7000? Which can you personally recommend?

• Lainer February 9, 2011 at 11:49 am #

The D300s is better built. The D7000 has some improvements, but is considered a prosumer camera, whereas the D300s is more for a pro. Check out Thom Hogan’s website about the two cameras. He has a new review up on the D7000 also. Do a Google search on his name.

99. Ana GR February 7, 2011 at 12:14 pm #

What was your first paid work? How did you get the job? Did you succeed? What was it? Did you feel nervous? Do you feel nervous now when you get a ?$$$$$$$ contract?
    I know, I know, lots of questions, but curious!

100. michelle garza February 7, 2011 at 12:16 pm #

If you wanted to make great video would you choose a dslr or a dedicated video camera and why?

101. Linus February 7, 2011 at 12:16 pm #

If you hade to choose only ONE lens to shoot with, witch one would you choose?

102. Peter Geluk February 7, 2011 at 12:17 pm #

Hi Chase,

I’ve asked this question to a number of people but never got a good answer. What pc of pro glass should I buy first: the Canon 24-70 f2.8 or the 70-200 2.8?

I photograph mainly (location) portraits and weddings and no, I can’t buy both. I HAVE to choose, following zack arias’s advice (no debt startup).

Thnks!!

Pete

• Nate February 8, 2011 at 6:22 am #

Although the 70-200 is a thing of beauty, you will find the 24-70 is much more versatile.

103. Jaime February 7, 2011 at 12:20 pm #

Other than college, what is the best training available for a person interested in photography? any great book or DVD recommendations?

104. Heikki February 7, 2011 at 12:23 pm #

Hi Chase,

Do you have any tips for a starting photographer on how to balance between the prices you can ask as an semi-pro photographer and pushing the common photographers salaries down? I mean I don’t want to compete with other pro photographers with low prices, but on the other hand I can’t ask the same price as a real pro.
    Other thing is that I’d like to photograph as much as possible to get material for my portfolio, but usually the best and most interesting opportunities I have to photograph for free as the situations are chosen primarily by me. After that it’s complicated to ask money for a shoot when I just did a similar shoot the other day for free. This is often the case as people see the pictures I have taken before.

Thanks!

105. Jannik February 7, 2011 at 12:23 pm #

Sb-600 or sb-700 or Metz to my d90?

106. Ken Savage February 7, 2011 at 12:24 pm #

I’ve been shooting anything and everything the past year to find my vision and where I want to take my photography. How long does someone take to find what they want to evolve into? Weddings? Portraits? Commerical etc.

107. Brice February 7, 2011 at 12:26 pm #

How was your first experience working with a client like? How did you get the gig?

108. John (aka Wish I Were Riding) February 7, 2011 at 12:28 pm #

@Chase – How are working folks supposed to tune into a Live show during WORK hours?

109. Adam Sheikh February 7, 2011 at 12:31 pm #

Hey Chase,

First and foremost, I’m a huge fan. Thanks so much for taking the time out of your crazy schedule to make your blogs, videos, and these livestreams.

As for my question, what are some of your best tips and advice for post-processing? I feel like I still have a lot to learn in terms of processing my photos, as well as establishing an efficient workflow. A mini-blog or video mini-series would be amazing on this topic!

I’m definitely looking forward to Wednesday! Thanks Chase, take care!

110. Andy February 7, 2011 at 12:32 pm #

Chase, thanks for this great opportunity, hope you makeit through the questions.
    No gear-related question here (I know you’re not fond of those, and for good reason :-)
    I’m in this as an amateur, so I shoot what I like to shoot.
    Mosly,I shoot girls, and try to realise their potential, to make them look as great as I can (in my view)
    However, people tend to challenge me on this, saying that it’s too superficial (no story, no emotions, no concept,…)
    So what is your view on this? Is beauty in itself not enough? And even if it is, is it too shallow?

Someone (can’t remember who) once said: “imagine you have a personal gallery. A secret one that nobody else can visit. Image what pictures you see there. Now go outside and make those pictures. “.

111. christian levesque February 7, 2011 at 12:33 pm #

How do you take advantage of the work you just done for a client to get another one to hire you?

112. Justin Chando February 7, 2011 at 12:35 pm #

Hey chase,
    Are you planning on purchasing the new RED EPIC or Scarlet when they are released later this year? What do you think of the new up-coming TRUE DSMC (digital stills and motion capture) system from RED? How do you see yourself integrating this system into your work?

Cheers.

113. lexi February 7, 2011 at 12:35 pm #

I’m 15 and I love photography, I’m getting my first slr but
    i’m not sure what would be my best choice
    what would you recommend?

114. Even Lund February 7, 2011 at 12:36 pm #

Hi Chase

I am always stunned by images that tell a story and would like to improve my storytelling skills. Do you have any tips regarding how to approach such a challenge? I have seen your “Seattle 100″ and “Songs for Eating and Drinking”, so clearly you know a thing or two about this.

Regards

Even Lund

115. Brant February 7, 2011 at 12:37 pm #

Hello Chase,

Can you talk about some tools to successfully transition between receiving positive reviews/praise and acknowledgement for your work, and selling images/being financially viable as an artist.

Thanks in advance.

116. Anton February 7, 2011 at 12:38 pm #

Hello Chase,

I have a question concerning commercial product photography. What would be the best way to find clients for this kind of business?
    Or, would you please give some general thoughts about product photography?

Thank you very much!

Anton.

117. jason mcnamara February 7, 2011 at 12:41 pm #

I’ve been plugging away for almost 2 years just trying to get noticed. It seems to be working but all of the big clients that contact me want me to shoot for free and they will promote me. I want the experience and exposure but I also want to go full time with this. I have done some and they always end up getting me a handful of smaller paying jobs. At what point do I start turning these down? If my work wasn’t that great or getting out there they wouldn’t have found me in the first place right?

• george fairbairn February 7, 2011 at 12:47 pm #

Fantastic question Jason! I have the exact same problem and question.

• Nate February 8, 2011 at 6:31 am #

Yes, I’ve been at it for a long time, really working on style, concept, and image of my business. But I’m not sure how to really market myself, get in front of clients, find the jobs to bid on. Please talk a little on finding jobs and getting hired.
      Thanks!

118. Moe Veniot February 7, 2011 at 12:43 pm #

Hey Chase, I just want to thank you for being a huge inspiration from your photos, videos to Seattle 100 (which has inspired me to make my own book called INSPIRATION.)

I’m a 16 year old photographer starting off his business who is absolutely in love with his work. I was just wondering what advice you would have for someone starting off there business.

Also, i would like to thank you for giving your fans a chance to ask you question.

Moe Veniot

119. Richard Lutz February 7, 2011 at 12:51 pm #

How is your creative approach different with video and how does it affect your work and relationship with a client.

120. Peter Williams February 7, 2011 at 1:00 pm #

Hi Chase,

Just writing to give you a massive thanks in many many ways, and a hang shake, because I wouldn’t be where I am now, or for keeping me getting through the tuff times, and where I am today.

So thank you very much.

Would love to take your portrait, if your ever in London this year, as a chance for me to give back and say thank you very much for everything.

Kindness Regards.

Peter

From United Kingdom.

121. Anne-Marie February 7, 2011 at 1:02 pm #

Hi Chase,

what a great idea to do this!

I’d like to know about some legal issues – when do you need to get releases and consent forms from people in your photos – and how do you go about it?

For example – if you take a picture on the street with people passing by, and then post it on the internet for the rest of the world to see it. Do you need permissions and consent forms in such a situation?

And it would be great if you would post some kind of resume of #AskChase – wish I could see it live but I have to work!

Best regards
    Anne-Marie

122. Fahd Munir February 7, 2011 at 1:04 pm #

Dear Chase Jarvis, your are THE best : )

Please i need your help in BUDGETING? how do you budget a photoshoot? whether it is architecture,portraiture or compositing images. PLEASE HELP !!

i sit with clients and i just throw numbers !! haha, it doesnt always work though :(

P.S: if your not renting gear, how do you include the price of your gear in your invoice?

123. Mark Ivkovic February 7, 2011 at 1:05 pm #

Okay y’all, serious time.
    Where do you see Chase Jarvis (Inc.) being in 5 years time?
    Creative Live – same question.

Also if you could leave a legacy for the photography industry (as if you haven’t given enough already) what would it be, what would that final nugget of wisdom be.

Thanks, Mark

124. Tanner February 7, 2011 at 1:08 pm #

How does a photographer become to where you are at right now, how did you get to where you are at right now?

125. Raji Barbir February 7, 2011 at 1:12 pm #

Looking back at my old work, I can see that that I’ve progressed significantly. Trouble is, I’ve felt artistically stuck for what seems like years now…

So assuming most people can’t move at the speed of Chase Jarvis, what would you suggest fellow photographers do when they hit that dreaded wall and can’t seem to overcome it? How do you break through?

ps: so glad I got to shake your hand and chat in NYC at the Seattle 100 meet. You’re a cool dude :)

126. Pablo February 7, 2011 at 1:12 pm #

Will you be bringing a monkey? “Mono y mono” means “monkey and monkey” in Spanish.

I certainly have been accused of having all photographic skills of a monkey on more than one occasion. ;->

127. vernography February 7, 2011 at 1:17 pm #

One thing that I don’t see covered much is finding clients and pricing. I see talk about how we shouldn’t undercut other photographers to get business and totally agree. However, I’m guessing that there are some of us that don’t know where to start our prices so that we can be competitive and not undercut or work for free. I know there are so many variables to think about that this is and likely will be a tough subject. What resources are available to those starting out? Where can we find clients in small towns? I don’t live in or near a big city.

Thanks

128. crosby February 7, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

why do you start these things so early in the day some of us are student and do not get out of school until much later in the day causing us to miss these special live performances and when you dont repost them we cant watch them to get insight

129. John Sexton February 7, 2011 at 1:48 pm #

Generally speaking, your short films on the D7000 are inspiring, but many people probably want to know if it requires a truckload of additional gear or not in practical execution. So my question is:

What would you consider “best practices” for shooting HDDSLR video on a Nikon D7000? Thinking about issues such as what lenses to avoid vs what lenses are ideal, trusting continuous autofocus vs manual focus with focus ring tools to ensure fine tune control, which support or steadycam devices to employ, what kind of audio capture setup, what kind of lighting, how pre-planned vs spontaneous does the current level of tech allow for and what kind of post-capture workflow is being used?

130. Isaac February 7, 2011 at 1:54 pm #

Why is it so difficult for younger shooters to enter the scene? I mean despite the usual assumption that the less experienced usually produce less quality work, but isn’t it a generalization to say that say a 16 year old can’t take the same pictures that a 30 year old can? Music has embraced young performers, so why hasn’t photography embraced young shooters?

131. Tim Colston February 7, 2011 at 1:59 pm #

What determines how when you light a subject? Is for “drama” ? Drawing the eye to something? Setting a mood? in a commercial field so often asked to play up the product. I have access to a new creative director for the company so getting away from product driven goals and being allowed to be more creative with direction. Just wondering what drives you in any particular direction.

132. Tim Colston February 7, 2011 at 2:06 pm #

One other thing:

Much like actors, photographers seem to get type cast but the strengths in their portfolio. How do you venture into other photo types/styles with little or no experience? (my base of operations has two “needs” commercial and sports) I don’t necessarily “want” to become a different type of photographer, but trying to find opportunities to break out of a routine.

133. Tim Colston February 7, 2011 at 2:10 pm #

Yet another thing (sorry):

Aside from information (megapixels), is there a real reason for shooting medium format vs 35mm?

134. Keri February 7, 2011 at 2:13 pm #

Camera upgrade: I have a D90, should i upgrade to D7000 or wait for the overdue upgrade to the D300s.

I’m tempted to wait for the D300s replacement but am interested on your take.

Cheers guys,
    Keri.

135. Cannon February 7, 2011 at 2:15 pm #

Here’s a completely rude question…
    What’s the pay for selling an image to an agency that represents somebody like Toyota???

136. Andy Comber February 7, 2011 at 2:23 pm #

Hey Chase,

I know you use Apples Xserve systems in your workflow. Apple recently announced they were discontinuing that line of hardware. Are you going to replace the system with a different setup and if so what are you looking to change to?

137. Antoine Thisdale February 7, 2011 at 2:23 pm #

Perhaps for your producer; Question concerning quote and invoice to the client;

How to you plan a Quote ; what fees always go on the list? (i presume salary, transportation) but what else?

Also, is the “list” open to the client or you just go and say “it’ll be x amount of money” ?
    I presume the same goes with the Contract?
    Would it be wise for me to get a Executive producer?

Thanks

138. Jayme February 7, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

What is the best way to shoot a photo of a room and not get light blow out in the windows?

139. The_drew February 7, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

Your personal portfolio projects are very inspiring, they’re also high quality productions. How much do you budget for those shoots and do you have a commercial exit already in mind for the content generated?

140. carmen February 7, 2011 at 2:32 pm #

Just wondering how you get into the fashion industry? what steps should i take.

141. JR February 7, 2011 at 2:42 pm #

Don’t you ever get pissed off with people asking you “which is best Nikon ABC, or the latest Nikon XYZ?”

142. manny February 7, 2011 at 2:43 pm #

What camera should i get to start in photography.

143. Tyler Haegele February 7, 2011 at 2:50 pm #

have a few ?s for ya.

1. Do you consider a vacation being home with your wife? lol Does she go with you on most of your trips?

2. Ok, here’s a shot out of a canon. Annie Leibovitz, Joey McNally, Ansel Adams. You gotta assist one, photograph one, party with one. Go!

3. Do you have a dream shoot you want to do? Are you currently doing anything towards that goal?

4. what camera should i buy? j/j

5. Can you teach me how to “Dougie”?

6. Do you have a certain magazine (non-photography) from which you get inspiration from?

7. What are your thoughts on not retouching photos yourself? What I mean is if I was to have someone replace a background and do other crazy things only a graphic artist could do, the photo would not feel 100% mine still.

• Anonymous February 8, 2011 at 12:41 am #

Joe McNally not Joey lol

• Tyler Haegele February 8, 2011 at 10:18 am #

ya i was going to put in Joey L put then changed it to McNally without realizing it still said joey.

• Tyler Haegele February 8, 2011 at 10:19 am #

ahh i did it again. “but” not “put” in my previous post. my keyboard skills are lacking as of late.

144. Whit February 7, 2011 at 3:05 pm #

What’s your favorite beer?!

145. Marcus Jasper February 7, 2011 at 3:19 pm #

Hey Chase,
    What do you recommend as a cheap method of getting good audio when filmmaking.

146. Ghislain leduc February 7, 2011 at 3:23 pm #

Hi Chase, you are always helping people out, you seems to be working all the time. It is true that your wife is working with you but how do you find time to separate work from family time? How do keep thAt same level of energy, never show any dark moment, always ready to go beyond any limits and more importantly, you seem to be happy every single day… Is it because you don’t watch Tv? You don’t have kids ? You don’t watch the news???

147. Joseph W Nienstedt February 7, 2011 at 3:41 pm #

Have you ever let a client down? If so, how did you handle it and/or fix the situation?

148. Cooper Ray February 7, 2011 at 3:44 pm #

Hey Chase!

How did you become acquainted with Alex Calderwood? Do you have any future plans for collaboration?

Other than authenticity, what would be a most desirable trait you admire in an intern/friend!

149. Devin Schiro February 7, 2011 at 3:57 pm #

Hey Chase-

Question about your rates. What were your initial rates when you were first starting your business, and how did you raise them? How can someone whose up-n-coming know where to fairly price themselves and when it’s time to raise their rates?

150. Mike Macdonald February 7, 2011 at 4:14 pm #

I asked this of Jeremy Cowart on twitter and he amazingly crowd sourced an answer but never gave his own. Would love to know what you think:

Should you shoot what you love and find a place in the market for it or should you shoot what you think the market wants and shoot stuff you love on the side?

Thanks
    Mike

151. Joey Garrido February 7, 2011 at 4:35 pm #

What do you think about long exposure (day)?

152. Blair Binegar February 7, 2011 at 4:40 pm #

What would you say is the single most important thing to keep in mind when starting a photography business out of your home?
    BTW: read your blog all the time! Keep the great info coming!

153. Brian Town February 7, 2011 at 4:42 pm #

Will you be hiring for a videographer/sound engineer in the next 5 years? Are you looking to expand your company? More staff? I am graduating in 2013 with a BA in Film and Music Production/Engineering, and would do anything it takes to work for you and your company. You are a huge inspiration.

Brian Town

154. Taylor Perkey February 7, 2011 at 5:28 pm #

Thank you so much for taking the time to do these amazing live broadcasts! I have so many questions I could ask you, but here’s one nobody else has asked or come close to. Your current site is in Flash. With all the current debates between Apple and Adobe regarding Flash, do you plan on converting over to an HTML5 based site soon?

Thanks,
    Taylor

155. Callum Winton February 7, 2011 at 5:30 pm #

Hi.
    Business related Q

How much has having a business manager, production manager and other staff helped you in building your business now you don’t get distracted with logistics, accounting etc?

Did it accelarate your business or was the extra cost in having staff a hindrance in the beginning?

Ta
    CW

156. thesullster February 7, 2011 at 5:47 pm #

How does Chase Jarvis keeps his lenses scratch-free or “as new”?

157. Kyle Rose February 7, 2011 at 6:25 pm #

Hi Chase,

I’m fifteen years old and have been shooting since last year. I’ve improved drastically since then, but I want to know what advice you could offer me when it comes to climbing the ladder into being a successful photographer? For example, the best places to advertise so you can gain potential clients, etc.
    I hope to pursue photography or film making (or a combination of the two) and I’ve always been a big fan of yours, so I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Also, I won’t be able to watch the show, so if you do decide to answer me, feel free to email me.

Thanks a lot,
    Kyle

158. JConnphoto February 7, 2011 at 6:33 pm #

How long do you store clients images for if you don’t give them the “digital negatives?” Everyone I know shoots and burns because of the saturation of semi-pro photogs in our demographic. I don’t want to fall into that but I’m not sure if there’s an industry standard for length of storage time.
    You and your team rock by the way, your Creative Live workshops have breathed life into my photography business.

159. jetgreen1 February 7, 2011 at 6:35 pm #

Do you ever desire to shoot dramatic moments such as (for a lousy example) streets of turmoil in Egypt or other such life molding moments. I know from listening to you that the commercial stuff pays the bills, but from a different emotional angle, do you ever want a change of pace?

BTW: I refered you to Charlie Rose for a potential interview…Your welcome.

160. Peter Mahar February 7, 2011 at 8:03 pm #

How did you start geting clients? Like how did you go about it, and who were you talking to?

161. Daria Riley February 7, 2011 at 8:55 pm #

I would love to be a working commercial photographer, but until that happens, I focus on developing my portfolio and my skill. There are a lot of workshops out there, but I’m leery of most. I already participate in CreativeLIVE (thank you). But, I also wanted something hands on… Can you recommend any good workshops that are affordable and lean more towards commercial work?

162. Lucas Merrill February 7, 2011 at 9:15 pm #

Where would you suggest a beginning wedding photographer put advertising money? (Roughly spending between $500 and $1000)

163. Matt Timmons February 7, 2011 at 9:34 pm #

4 PART MONEY QUESTION THAT PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS TOO SHY TO ASK:
    1. How do you charge your clients i.e. do you prefer a Day Rate or flat Creative Fee?
    2. What source do you use to determine your usage value to charge your clients?
    3 Do you offer your large clients incentives to lock you in for consecutive work (such as a contract that makes you their exclusive photographer in exchange for a guaranteed lower rate)?
    4. If a circumstance like a weather delay prohibits shooting, do you charge your clients for the full amount for the lost day(s) or do you work something out with them to keep them happy?

Sorry for asking four, but these are all business questions that pro’s usually won’t answer. Cheers, -Matt

164. Eric Reichbaum February 7, 2011 at 9:36 pm #

How do you see the apparent downfall of magazines and newspapers affecting the photography world? Do you think something new will come in to replace the many magazines and papers that close each year?

165. Don Carter February 7, 2011 at 9:51 pm #

Hi Chase:
    I’m interested in the concept of “personal work” that you have mentioned and doing it with or along with your commercial projects. Can you expand upon the importance of this and the opportunities we might all now have as a result of technology or cultural changes to all have not just “hobbies” but in effect second or “personal” careers where we pursue our “personal careers” along side our professional or commercial careers, where we effectively pay ourselves with our most valuable resource, our free time. Your thoughts?

166. Shawn February 7, 2011 at 10:53 pm #

Hi Chase,

I’ve been following you for a while now and love the way you’ve turned your passion into a creative business. My question is: How do you know when you’re good enough to take the plunge from enthusiastic amateur to full-time pro?

Thanks

Shawn

167. Justin Raine February 7, 2011 at 11:56 pm #

(Probably for Scott!)
    I’ve watched your workflow Q&A but one outstanding question I have is about how you manage your ProRes. Is that considered Live Work? Do you backup the raw H.264 files or the ProRes (or both)?

Do you guys do much AE/Motion work? It seems like that is in pretty high demand in the video market. How do you manage that?

Also, I know you shoot on RED as well. At the point you are at, I can’t imagine there is any serious financial reason that you are shooting on the much more affordable HDDSLRs, why do you choose to shoot on them over RED cameras or something similar?

168. Christian (australia) February 8, 2011 at 12:07 am #

I am absolutely desperate to know how you got to where you are Chase. We all have to start somewhere, but where was that pivotal moment in your carrer that got you into doing massive add campaigns and traveling over the world. I know you were into Snowboard photography quite a bit earlier in the game but i just cant see how you get from there to where you are now. Please explain. =]
    Thanks.

169. stellan February 8, 2011 at 12:48 am #

Hey Chase,

nice initiative with this open questioning. I´ll actually got load of questions for you but to keep it short and realistic I´m just going to ask you one.

Witch are the most important steps to take when you going from amateur to going pro. How did you score your first assignment and what happened after that? How important is the gear in these early stages on getting clients?

It turned out to be three questions in one….Hope you read this man!
    I admire your work and are a steady visitor of your blog.

Best regards

170. saneesh February 8, 2011 at 12:49 am #

Hi Chase,

I got a people question :) , well the question might be bit ambiguous, Q: If you are shooting a client who dont want their photos taken, whats the best way to deal with them?

I can understand that you try to talk to them and see, but I am talking about the case where the subject/client is not willing to put in his/her part into the shoot.

Cheers!

171. Mark Matthews February 8, 2011 at 1:15 am #

Greetings from Sydney.

Q: what kind of microphones do you use to record with DSLR’s? ie. Rode Video Mic or something better/like it?

see you online Wednesday!

172. Brian February 8, 2011 at 1:40 am #

How do you handle photo rights and model consent?

173. Ben Pettit February 8, 2011 at 1:52 am #

My business is doing well for what it is in SC. Photography is really just one segment we do and the web design/video/graphic design-printing is doing really well too. I have one business partner who does sales/billing right now. All our other employees are contract/freelancers. We need to expand our on staff team because frankly we can’t do all the work and working with freelancers is not the easiest.

That being said.

1. What is your financial strategy for hiring new staff members. Do you wait until you can completely afford it or take a chance that they’ll pay for themselves?

2. How do you set your milestones/goals for your photography and your business growth as a whole. How do you incentivise growth with your employees/team? What’s the process for casting vision to your team, getting them excited about what your doing as a company.

3. I’ll leave this open ended: How do you evaluate success in your business?

174. Daniel February 8, 2011 at 2:36 am #

Data Verification:

How do you verify data when you copy/move/archive images? I do at least cmd-i and compare amount of files and bytes, but this won’t tell me if a file got corrupted underway. Do you just trust OS X or use any special software to verify the integrity of your valuable data?

Thanks,
    Daniel

175. Sebastian Danilo Petrovski February 8, 2011 at 3:49 am #

Hi, I was just wondering if Adobe Lightroom is included in your workflow. Is their ever an occasion where it would be beneficial to use Lightroom, for whole picture adjustments, and then continue to Photoshop for more isolated manipulation? (i.e. masking etc.) As opposed to doing all post processing in Photoshop.

Thanks a bunch !

176. Kjellin February 8, 2011 at 5:48 am #

Hi Chase!

What do you get inspired of?
    Keep up the good work!

177. broxibear February 8, 2011 at 6:12 am #

I’ve noticed many pro photographers are not upgrading their dslrs as quickly anymore because newer models have become so expensive, and don’t offer as much of a difference in image quality as before.
    Do you think Canon and Nikon are making a mistake with their high end cameras by adding more and more features when many of us would rather have a digital equivalent of a FM2 ?

178. PBrosnanPhoto February 8, 2011 at 7:06 am #

I am new to Video production and really appreciate your past insights. What is giving me the hardest time doing event videography is managing focus during subject movement.(i.e. dance floor) There are no second takes, no real blocking. Do I have to accept wide focal lengths and 3ft to infinity depth of field? How do I add creativity to these ‘fluid’ situations? (FWIW The glide cam is still producing shaky video in these mitts of mine)

179. Anka February 8, 2011 at 8:24 am #

@ Kate+Chase: Here’s a financial question – Have you always financed the growth of your business (gear, studio, employees) through your client earnings or did you, at some point, look for investors like business angels, family, bank loan, etc. Thanks a lot for all the great inspiration!

180. Alex February 8, 2011 at 8:47 am #

Hi Chase,

What advise would you give out to ameteur/ beginning photographers that like to shoot in cities, but are harassed by police officers asking them for a permit and are not allowed to shoot with gear such as tripods? And have you been in any situation like this before, if so, how have you dealed with it?

Thanks!

181. Bryan February 8, 2011 at 9:29 am #

I know the mantra is personal work, personal work, personal work, and building a solid portfolio to get commercial jobs (which is currently the phase my buddy Joe and I are at right now). But once you’ve got a solid body of work to show, aside from hiring an agent how do you get it in front of the right people? How do you know who to contact to get those opportunities? And most importantly, how’d to know how to price your first commerical job??

182. Joe Figaniak February 8, 2011 at 9:30 am #

I’m a college junior and in my time trying to decide what I wanted to do or be when I grew up I always wanted to do something with photography or videography. With that being said I always thought of both of these as a hit or miss job opportunity.

How did you first get your foot in the door and start yourself off?

Up until now I’ve always just said to myself that I’ll pursue another major I have some interest in and put these on the back burner as a hobby. I would love to do something I truly love like this but I never felt that it would be a sure thing as a solid job.

183. Josh February 8, 2011 at 9:32 am #

Hi Chase, Josh from Switzerland here.

Here is my question:

I was lucky enough to land my first substantial commercial job by word of mouth (one of my contacts recommended me to the client). I now want to prospect new clients but feel a bit lost: Should I contact clients (creative/communication department) directly or contact their ad agencies?

Also, maybe you could share your experience about differences you see between developing your business in Europe vs. the States (if any).

Thanks for giving so much back to the community!

184. Chris Levesque February 8, 2011 at 9:42 am #

When you were first starting out, what did you take pictures of to make money? Weddings, family portraits, etc.

Did you know you wanted to get into commercial photography and worked your way up?

185. Trevor Mann February 8, 2011 at 9:48 am #

Chase,
    What I see common in today’s successful individuals is a team. With their team they create an idea so extraordinary that the world has to buy it. I’m not interested in the idea, but the team. Currently studying ad photo at RIT in New York, I think is a prime opportunity to seek out a group of people who are ready to devote the next step in their lives to making great art. That being said,

How did you judge people to see if they had what it takes to be successful?

Sincerely,

Trevor

186. DanielKphoto February 8, 2011 at 10:00 am #

I can’t wait!!!

Can’t think of a question though…

187. Christy, Home-Mom.com February 8, 2011 at 10:02 am #

Hi Chase I’m a mother of 4 and want to start a photog biz and get hubby working from home as well. My question is geared towards starting out and making your passion a business.

What are some of the tools that are a necessity?
    If you’re on a budget what are the core essentials when it comes to equipment?

thanks bunches .)

@home_mom

188. David pettersson February 8, 2011 at 10:19 am #

My question is about capturing sports, in my case karate. I have Nikon D90, but a my images taken indoors get really noisy. I’m limited in the amount of flash I can use. Outdoor pics look fine. How do I make indoor pictures look as crisp as my outdoor ones on a shoestring budget?

189. Brian February 8, 2011 at 10:21 am #

What’s a good day job a photographer can get so they can make a living?

190. Elizabeth Tranzillo February 8, 2011 at 12:16 pm #

Thanks for this opportunity Chase.

At what stage in your photography career would you begin to hire staff?
    Would you hire a retoucher?
    Do you hire for full-time or freelance work?
    What do you look for in a retoucher?
    Do you hire locally or would hire by internet?
    Would you have retoucher work on set on images or would it work out if they send the images by e-mail?

191. Richard Davies February 8, 2011 at 1:07 pm #

I guess if I have only one question (I have hundreds) it would be;

Q: When you were starting out in Commercial Photography (as I am) how did you work out what to charge? it’s something that makes me uneasy really, am I charging too little?

Thanks so much

Richard

@RichardDPhoto

192. Michael P. Young February 8, 2011 at 1:37 pm #

Would love to get a little insight behind the image licensing/contract process…if possible, would you give a breakdown on licensing basics and how/whom handles your licensing/contracts paradigm?

193. Anton Tarasov February 8, 2011 at 3:21 pm #

Hi Chase,
    Would be great to know how do you price your work. What goes into the account? Time, resources, your name? Is there any formula?

Thanks,
    Anton

194. Jacob Lucas February 8, 2011 at 4:08 pm #

Hey Chase… really looking forward to this episode of cjlive mate. Here’s my q:

Stuart Sipahigil has published a great eBook about taking the mundane and making it extraordinary — all about how to take great photographs within just a few miles of your home. What is your favourite photograph that you’ve taken of your home city of Seattle, and why?

195. Nik February 8, 2011 at 4:21 pm #

Chase, few questions here. As creative artists, we are constantly pressured by the famous ”Youre only as good as your last project” so, how do you establish a good working relationship with a client/agency? And how do have them trust your work results? and one last one….Do you take the clients budget into consideration for the quality of work they will get, or do you sacrifice a bit of what would be your cut to deliver a quality product you would be totally proud of?

196. Todd Walker February 8, 2011 at 4:24 pm #

I’m a professional photographer, but breaking into video, of which I know very, very little. In your opinion, what is the best video editying software and where is the best source for learning how to shoot/edit video?

197. Timmy J. February 8, 2011 at 5:08 pm #

How do you land clients? As in how do you lure clients in? With a website? By word of mouth? Flyers? Ads? What?

And when you give your client a digital file or printed copy of the photo, does it mean that they own the copyright to the photo? Or is it just a license? Can the client do whatever they want with it? (as in redistribute it and etc.) How would you handle all of this legal stuff?

198. Shawn M February 8, 2011 at 5:14 pm #

Hiya,

I love the list you put out over a year ago:
    and there is another one, it was about taking a 100 pictures and a list of other stuff. I can’t find the link, but that’s ok. I just remember the impact it had on me and I did the 100 pictures. My creativity grew so much more because of this exercise.
    What drives you and when you, keeps you going? Is it exercises like these?

Shawn

199. Cory Fossum February 8, 2011 at 5:19 pm #

In the world or Chase, what does being the Director of your shoots entail? Camera and video credits go to others. Editing goes to others. Etc, etc. So what does your role as Director come down to on set and in post?

Thanks man – keep inspiring us!

Cory

200. Shaun February 8, 2011 at 5:34 pm #

Hi Chase, how do you backup your referenced files? Do you use any programs to do so? Since Aperture 3 doesn’t do so.

201. Brett Crawford February 8, 2011 at 5:35 pm #

Chase,
    When you were first starting out in photography, what helped the most as far as developing your creative eye (tutorials/workshops, photography school, self taught)? and in the beginning what did you enjoy shooting the most?

202. Nick Minore February 8, 2011 at 5:42 pm #

Storage and backup is very important. For those who have several (a lot of) external hard drives daisy-chained together and duplicating each other, what do you recommend as the “next level” of storage for the emerging photographer / videographer?

P.S. I’m a G-Tech fan . . .

Thanks,

Nick

203. Nick Minore February 8, 2011 at 5:45 pm #

Chase,

How do you know when to upgrade your technology (cameras, lenses, storage, computers, etc)?

Thanks,

Nick

204. Abhi February 8, 2011 at 5:46 pm #

You mentioned, “Don’t be shy. Ask away. Anything is fair game.”
    Not sure if this might a right platform to ask. But let me give a try. (‘coz I love photography and the amazing new technology in place) :)

I am a mechanical engineer by profession, and I would love to work for manufacturers of camera equipment. Can you or anyone give me some leads or contacts? :)

(Now was that okay to ask?) :)

Best,
    Abhi.

205. Andrew Dacey February 8, 2011 at 6:17 pm #

I was thrilled when you posted this as I’ve been really trying to work up the guts to start breaking into the business and simply don’t have a clue about that side of things.

But, day job means I can’t swing this one at all. If you can find any way to get this up online afterwards I’d really love it. This has been the CJLive I’ve been waiting for and I was totally bummed last night when I read the announcement and knew there was no way I could swing the live stream.

206. Steve Robertson February 8, 2011 at 10:47 pm #

When you shoot outside the US, how do you handle the lingual, cultural and legal differences?

207. Johann Guasch February 8, 2011 at 11:43 pm #

Chase, what are the safe options when an art collector (from another country, far away) insists for the digital file rather than a print?

Thanks,
    Guasch

208. bazwink February 9, 2011 at 12:15 am #

Hello Chase,

I’m french and I would like to know :
    1. what the Paris office is working for and if you go at sometimes ? If so, do you give some training or conference in Paris ?
    2. You look like going to do more movies than photo, is it true or is it just what you want to show (a part/evolution of your activity) ?

Thanks,

bazwink

209. Orsi Vilusz February 9, 2011 at 1:01 am #

Hi Chase,

First of all I’d like to thank you for sharing your tricks of the trade. I feel like I’ve learned a ton by just watching your videos, Creative Live and reading your blog. You’re such an inspiration and a fantastic educator beside the obvious, a brilliant photographer.

My question would be business related. I’m thinking about starting a photography business in about a year from now. What if I manage to land some small jobs in the meantime I’m refining my vision? I mean I have no registered business yet plus I don’t know actually where (in which country) to get started.

My hubby is South African, I’m Hungarian and we used to live in the UK. He’s got a new job recently that made us relocate to Nigeria. I don’t think we’re going to be here much longer than September or the end of the year the max. We’d like to go back to Europe but we don’t know where his next job will be. We might end up in Norway or Romania or Croatia wherever his company opens up a new property.

Actually that was one of the reasons I wanted to take up photography after our daughter was born because that way I’m not tied up to a certain workplace and I can easily transfer to wherever we currently are. What would you suggest in terms of where to get established? I was thinking about Hungary, but we might never live there just go back and visit family. Same with South Africa. To be honest neither of these countries are business friendly when in comes to taxation. I still have my UK bank account and family and friends there so technically I could be trading from there even though I’m not there.

I know it all sounds weird and complicated. I was just wondering what would be your take on that.

I’m not too sure if I’ll be able to watch the live stream because internet connection in Nigeria is very unreliable and as per Murphy’s law, it’s always down when you needed it. Anyways, if you decide to answer my question, I would be most grateful if you could drop me a line or just post this Q&A session to YouTube so I can watch/download it at another time.

Thanks ever so much and hope to catch you live tonight :)

Best wishes,

Orsi

• Till February 9, 2011 at 5:10 am #

Maybe you should keep your question short. Otherwise Chase won’t be able to tell the audience what your questions is. I guess he won’t choose to read out loud everything you have written.

210. Morgan February 9, 2011 at 3:27 am #

Hi Chase
    Morgan from France first of all thanks for helping us, my question is about how do you choose your field in Photography ? is it because you got connection or because you wanted to be in this area ?
    I’d love to pursue in the extreme sports industry but whenever i had the opportunity to talk to someone he tells me how bad the situation is and how hard it is to make a living
    Thanks

211. Maddy February 9, 2011 at 4:30 am #

What are your thoughts about manual focusing lenses?

212. Till February 9, 2011 at 4:50 am #

How important for your general success as a photographer is it, to question yourself about your own preferences?
    You are shooting a lot of sports and outdoor stuff. Is it enough for you to know you like shooting sports and outdoor? Or do you benefit from digging deeper and asking yourself “what exactly is it, that makes me want to shoot sports and outdoor?”?

213. Max February 9, 2011 at 4:56 am #

Hi Chase,

I am a young photographer starting up from Paris in commercial photography. I was wondering how you had initially gotten the first contract that was really meaningful as a credential to start up in commercial photography? Did it happen by chance, through friends/connections, or did you go and meet all the agencies in your area to try to get referenced? If so, would you recommend going to agencies or perhaps to talk to brands directly?

Many thanks for doing this! great momentum.
    Best,
    Max

214. Rene February 9, 2011 at 6:44 am #

I would love to know what is included in an estimate for a commercial shoot. What should be included, what should be excluded?

215. Nicholas wilson February 9, 2011 at 7:33 am #

Chase, I’ll be in Seattle next week, Can we have coffee and will you sign my Seattle 100 book?

216. SriLankaEddie February 9, 2011 at 7:55 am #

If i get a Panasonic Lumix GH2 w/ 14-42 mm Hybrid Lens..and FinalCutPro…and maybe some Magic Bullet Looks…is that enough to get started? …How do you store all of your videos? Can I use a laptop and an external hard drive to do all of my editing?

217. Brad Wieland February 9, 2011 at 8:08 am #

I love creativity as much as anyone. But sometimes, the need to “out-creative” everyone else is just exhausting (and impossible).

Chase, do you sometimes have to remind yourself that it’s OK to just take pictures for yourself? For fun? Just because you want to?

218. Anne-Marie February 9, 2011 at 8:28 am #

Hi again,

one more question:

Has anyone ever tried to discourage you – and if so, what did you do to shake it off and keep faith in yourself and your abilities?

Best of luck with your livecast tonight!

219. Rameez-k February 9, 2011 at 8:50 am #

Whats your stance on Fine art in opposition to Industry/Commercial photography?

Are you ever going to veer towards fine art or is commercial photography something you cant let go?

220. Christian (australia) February 9, 2011 at 9:03 am #

221. bavan prashant February 9, 2011 at 9:28 am #

hey..
    How much tech know how knowledge would you consider is a minimum requirement to make the cut to start off in the direction of shooting full time! ?

Thanks

222. Mary February 9, 2011 at 9:31 am #

How do you balance the need to show off your work to the need of protecting your images?

223. Christian (australia) February 9, 2011 at 9:32 am #

Does the team get along as well as it looks on screen? Whats the real you!?

224. Andrew Kaczmarek February 9, 2011 at 9:47 am #

Chase,

Can you recommend what you would consider as a must read book for photographers entering the industry?

What is your best piece of advice on how to get a project published as a book, and did your team ever consider self publishing your Seattle 100 Book?

I know it was asked above but I am curious how you transitioned from a ski and snowboard photographer to a commercial photographer.

Thanks,
    Andrew

225. Paul Roupas February 9, 2011 at 9:49 am #

Pretend you weren’t Chase Jarvis, but another photographer that nobody has ever heard of. How do you gain customers and sell yourself to commercial clients? What is the best way to gain business when you are new at this and what worked for you when you got started?

Thank you Chase for giving back to the community.

226. Gareth from Ireland February 9, 2011 at 9:56 am #

Chase, you travel all over the world… Ireland is beautiful, but how much has travelling influenced your photography?

227. Gordon Watanabe February 9, 2011 at 10:18 am #

In the early days of your commercial photography, how did you assemble the team around you to start distributing the load of work that needed to be done? And how did you go about finding them?

228. Gordon Watanabe February 9, 2011 at 10:19 am #

What was the biggest mistake you made in your transition to becoming a successful commercial photographer?

229. Gordon Watanabe February 9, 2011 at 10:20 am #

How much artistic freedom do you control in discussion of conceptual ideas and how does that change when there is a client? Can you give me an example of how you and the client come together on an assignment?

230. Gordon Watanabe February 9, 2011 at 10:22 am #

When you first started out and you were just a guy with a camera, how did you go about making the transition to a working commercial photographer? In other words was the defining “ah-hah” moment where you identified a distinct missing link between taking pictures and taking pictures for a client?

231. Donna February 9, 2011 at 10:23 am #

Does having formal photography classes give more edge than being self taught?

232. Gordon Watanabe February 9, 2011 at 10:26 am #

When you say to use software like fotoquote as a transitionary photographer “newbie” how can you ask and feel confident about asking that pricing when you have never asked for money before, especially when pros like you may use a similar schedule?

233. Deedee Thomas February 9, 2011 at 10:27 am #

Studo Lighting What Are Some Of Your Prefrences And Set Up

234. Deedee Thomas February 9, 2011 at 10:30 am #

Can I Get A Shout Out?? Deedee Thomas

235. Gordon Watanabe February 9, 2011 at 10:47 am #

Thanks to Chase and everyone for doing this, very nice for you to give back like this!

236. B. Moore February 9, 2011 at 11:28 am #

How soon will the recored video be posted?
    tomorrow? the sooner the better.
    please.

237. Matthew Garsteck February 9, 2011 at 11:30 am #

Doing research on potential clients is the most difficult thing for me. I freeze up when it comes to this type of research where I go on google and just “look” for leading art directors of magazines and so on and so forth. I can never seem to find the contacts.

How do you do your research on potential clients, or how did you start?

238. Lainer February 9, 2011 at 11:51 am #

Will you be putting this whole Live Show on youTube soon? i missed it!

239. Camille February 9, 2011 at 12:33 pm #

Great show Chase! Did I understand properly that you are going to make a habit of this??? Here’s the best thing about it in my view: Its really inspiring… Even if I’m not interested specifically in the answer to a question you are addressing, I usually found myself listening and interested in what you have to say. The other thing is that ideas are born from other people’s questions. Very cool. Thanks for doing this!

240. Lukas February 9, 2011 at 2:44 pm #

I missed the Live show:( Please, put it on Youtube – anybody. Thanks a lot.

241. Jeremy February 9, 2011 at 2:45 pm #

Hey Chase,

Awesome Show, only caught about half cause of work so hopefully you’ll be posting it soon. Great job though, answered a lot of my questions. Thanks again.

242. Rodrigo February 9, 2011 at 4:21 pm #

Ive uploaded today’s broadcast http://vimeo.com/19762877

243. Dan Lazar February 9, 2011 at 4:53 pm #

hi Chase,
    big fan, like everybody else on this planet. my question is how do you price your commercial assigments ( i am looking for something to scale down at my level).
    thanks

244. Ryan Scott February 10, 2011 at 9:28 am #

Will this broadcast be available to view in the future like you’ve done for your previous CJlives?

• Paul Buttle February 11, 2011 at 1:20 pm #

Really interested in watching this, I was unfortunately in mid transit when this was on :-(
      Please may you post it up somewhere…
      Cheers

245. John Doogan February 13, 2011 at 9:05 pm #

Do you retain copyright in your commissioned work and if so do you have any advice on negotiating fees and usage?
    Thanks for being so generous with your insights and information.

246. Josue February 15, 2011 at 12:00 pm #

Hi chase, I wasn’t able to watch this live stream video. I was wondering if your going to post the video so people that ddnt have the chance to watch it can?

247. Will McGregor February 26, 2011 at 3:37 am #

Hey Guys

Same here as a few guys, couldn’t catch the broadcast due to work, upload to youtube would be amazing :)

248. Brent Allum January 17, 2012 at 1:53 am #

Hi my friend! I want to say that this article is amazing, nice written and include almost all vital infos. I would like to see more posts like this.