Vincent Laforet on Chase Jarvis LIVE [This Wednesday]

This Wednesday I’ll be hosting pulitzer-prize winning photographer, award winning director, and my good pal Vincent Laforet into my studio for another broadcast of chasejarvisLIVE. In this 90 minute show, we’ll talk shop, cut thru all the fluff, cut past Reverie and all the hubub to the meat of the things that matter. We’ll also be taking your questions LIVE via my @chasejarvis twitter handle, hashtag #cjLIVE.

It’s free. It’s live. Just point your web browser to http://www.chasejarvis.com/live on Wednesday.

Who: You, Me, Vince Laforet + a worldwide gathering of photographers and filmmakers
What: Get to know the real Vince Laforet and his career + answer your questions LIVE
When: this coming Wednesday, March 2nd at 10:00am Seattle time (1pm NYC or GMT -8)
Where: just visit www.chasejarvis.com/live
Want to get Vince to answer YOUR questions?: ASK THEM IN THE COMMENTS BELOW

45 Responses to Vincent Laforet on Chase Jarvis LIVE [This Wednesday]

1. christian levesque February 28, 2011 at 11:22 am #

Hi Vincent,

how do you approach new clients? How do you pitch them your ideas.
    thanks

2. vijay February 28, 2011 at 11:32 am #

If you were to thank one person for your grand success who will it be? and why?

3. Brian Larter February 28, 2011 at 11:38 am #

If you could suggest one great resource to learn the technical side of fusion what would it be?
    (basically as a photographer looking to learn the ways of video and vice versa)

4. Abhi February 28, 2011 at 11:38 am #

vincent,

Do still photographers or people who have passion for photo over video, make good videographers? Does being a good still photographer create or enhance your ‘vision’ to be a good videographer? Or is it the other way around?

Whats your word for still photographers who want to get in short film making.

Abhi.

5. Michael Knowlton February 28, 2011 at 11:46 am #

Via twitter: I wonder if movie producers like @chasejarvis and @vincentlaforet dream differently than normal people. With cool camera angles/lighting..

6. John February 28, 2011 at 11:48 am #

Vincent,

Are you shooting more video now than you are shooting stills?

7. Stephanie February 28, 2011 at 12:22 pm #

A lot of photographers go places, or visit websites, or watch movies, etc. to get inspiration. Where do you go for inspiration?

8. Scott David Martin February 28, 2011 at 12:23 pm #

Vincent,

You recently joined the DGA…and your also a part of Local 600 Camera Guild. Can you describe why you decided to join these organizations and why they are important for your career?

9. BLK PXLS February 28, 2011 at 12:43 pm #

Hey Vincent , How do feel about diversity in your field? How dod you feel about a spot being held for a white woman in a contest that you put on while a black guy submitted his entry on time and by the rules does not get picked. Or that one of your winners did not even follow the time constraints. So my questions is “Will i have to deal with racial stereotypes and demographics in this field of film and photography” And how do i negotiate these barriers in my career?

10. Joe Shapiro February 28, 2011 at 1:57 pm #

I’ve edited 6 feature films and directed several shorts. I aspire to directing indie features. I’m also a stills photographer. What aspects of cinematography do I need to learn and what’s your suggested way to go about it?

11. Richard Lutz February 28, 2011 at 3:59 pm #

Hi Vince and Chase.

I’m a recent college graduate aspiring to be a music video and commercial director. I’m curious about the things that I need to do to be working with large bands, artists and multinational clients and corporations. I’m passionate about bringing stories to life and collaborating with others. Are there certain steps that I need to do to accomplish this and make this my career? Also, do I need to be in a certain market to achieve this? Thanks!

• Vincent Laforet March 1, 2011 at 1:48 am #

Keep the questions coming! We’re reading them! v

12. Kay Hartkamp March 1, 2011 at 5:22 am #

Dear Mr Laforert,

I find it difficult to make a story of some scenes i have in my head. I am thinking of collaborating with someone that is better in storytelling. Did you seek collaboraton more on the story side of the filming/director side?

13. fas March 1, 2011 at 7:06 am #

I wanted to know does polariser filter help in any way or just a gimmick?

14. claude etienne March 1, 2011 at 7:19 am #

Hi Vincent and Chase,

Vincent, do you believe the 5d Mark III will come out this year, and if so, do you think it will offer significant improvements over the Mark II?

15. Optic Bard March 1, 2011 at 8:36 am #

What made you transition away from photojournalism?

16. Albert March 1, 2011 at 9:06 am #

Aside for the financial gains, and increase in fame, in what way has your photography impacted your personal life or how you view your daily activities?

17. W.R. Dobraczynski March 1, 2011 at 10:47 am #

How did you begin your carrier, have you ever worked for stock agencies ?

18. michael murphy March 1, 2011 at 11:38 am #

Hello and congrats on your success (Vincent and Chase).

Social Networking, Web 2.0, Social Marketing or whichever term you like to use these days. How do you use it to promote yourself and why?

(I’ve watched your nyc keynote on the topic, many times, it was awesome!)

19. Caleb March 1, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

Im just getting into the world of film making. Im an actor primarily, but have always loved the production aspect. The problem is i sort of want to do everything, dp, edit, direct, all that. im just wondering if you ever had issues with this? i guess its a control thing, but i feel like i have a vision and the best person to execute it would be me. what role would have the most impact?

Caleb

20. Brett Bouwer March 1, 2011 at 2:40 pm #

Having just graduated from college with a BFA in Photography and graphic design, I find that the photography industry is very cutthroat in not allowing emerging photographers and videographers to work on jobs and gain experience in the real world. For example getting credentials to film certain events where they want you to work for a magazine, or some media outlet, but they allow someone who has no experience to be there just because they work for a magazine for example. So what do you suggest one does to get access to film such events, and why is the industry as a whole closing the door on people trying to get their name out there.

21. Chris Hughes March 1, 2011 at 2:57 pm #

Hi. I was wondering what the best technique for getting around the whole rolling shutter issue of the Canon 5d? I have read about software plug in such as the Foundry’s Rolling Shutter http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/rollingshutter/ which runs on Nuke and After Effects but would rather not rely of post fixing as I am a big fan of old school trying to get it right in camera. Many thanks.

22. Clint Fraser March 1, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

Hi Vincent and Chase,

When working with a small budget is it reasonable to use a continuous light kit for both stills and video? Comments and advice very much appreciated. Thanks.

Clint

23. Michael Diaz March 1, 2011 at 3:01 pm #

Are you going to repost this at a later date because I would be at school at the same time

24. Khayyam Khan March 1, 2011 at 3:55 pm #

Hi Chase, Vincent,
    I have a technical question for you that has been confusing me slightly. I am trying to create a slow motion video with the 5d MKII and Twixtor for AE. Ultimately i want to have my final product in 24p but I am unsure at what point to impart the 24p setting, in camera or in post. What would you say is the best combination of frame rate, shutter speed, and software to create a (super) slow motion 24p video? Thanks for considering my question.

25. Craig March 1, 2011 at 4:21 pm #

Do you think the days of DSLR’s use for video are numbered with the
    advent of offers like the Panasonic A-100?

26. Jeff Tamagini March 1, 2011 at 5:36 pm #

Do you know you scheduled this for the same time as Apples event?? I dont know if there enough bandwidth on the west coast for the both of you!

27. Boris March 1, 2011 at 6:26 pm #

Hello Chase and Vincent !

First thank you so much for taking your precious time for us and encourage us.

I have 2 questons about photography and one more about your personal…

Well, the first question is :
    - Can you talk about your worst memory or most difficult job in your carrer (ex. working with people who are not confortable being taken or acting front of camera.. ) and how did you manage the situation ?

- How do you react, and do you care, to critisim ? (personally i have strong problem with that.. I might care to much…) ? do you think it is important to care or better to just do like we think it is good anyway ?

And the last, i am very curious about that..
    - What do you wanted to be if you never been photographer/film maker ?

Thank you very much !
    I will be watching you from Japan !!

Best,
    Boris

28. Boris March 1, 2011 at 6:33 pm #

Ah! and one more question about gear..
    - What is your thinking on RED camera Scarlet/Epic for both still and motion ? You may had a chance or not to try them, but it can be interesting to have your point of view on those camera are coming in the market this year..

Thank you !!
    Boris

29. Joe pyle March 1, 2011 at 6:45 pm #

How dies one get started in the commercial world with an extremely meager budget?

30. Trevor Pottelberg March 1, 2011 at 7:24 pm #

Hey Guys,

Because the hddslr video world is changing so rapidly, is all of the gear we are currently using/purchasing, going to be obsolete in a few years… or do you think we will be able to bring it along with us as we upgrade to new bodies? i.e. the replacement for the Canon 5D Mark II. I’m just scared of investing the money into gear and then finding out that some of it may not fit or be needed when upgrading to a new body due to the manufactures changing the specs.

Hope you can help shed some light on the question.

Trevor

31. Michael Sharpe March 2, 2011 at 12:02 am #

Hi Vince and Chase.

What would you consider the best way to combat aliasing in DSLR video? Especially (in my case) while shooting tiled b&w floors.

Thanks in advance.

32. diala chinedu March 2, 2011 at 4:13 am #

Hi Vincent,
    One question, what suggestions will you give to someone like me who has written down many ideas for short films but never succeeded in finding actors/actresses to commit to them. I always asked my friends but they always have excuses and the ones that end up agreeing to help are never consistent during the filming process…I have also tried looking for local acting agencies with no luck.

33. Oscar Vifer March 2, 2011 at 4:15 am #

Hi Chase, hi Vincent!

the question I would like to do is made up and just say this, thanks for this fantastic live!

34. jake scott March 2, 2011 at 8:47 am #

Hi, I was wondering what do you do with cameras that you no longer use?
    are they backups, or do they just collect dust?

35. laurence zankowski March 2, 2011 at 9:57 am #

vincent, I sure hope that you discuss the importance of grip/ electric / audio depts and how they work together in a production whether it is small or large. The below the line issues that seem to crop up in any prod. now a days.

p.s. I was one of the camera operators for these creativelive shoots: David Duchemin and Jasmine Star.

plus actor, camera,grip, pa, driver …etc for thisThe Wait shot with 5DMKII and a hotrodded 7D using Zeiss Primes and ultra Primes, which btw is part of Taos Shortz Film Fest, where Ron and I will be this weekend.

36. =shane white= March 2, 2011 at 10:11 am #

At what point did you realize you couldn’t do all the work yourself and how did you find quality people to work with?

=s=

37. Evan March 2, 2011 at 10:17 am #

Vince and Chase- Who did you assist when you were started in the Biz?

38. Trevor Pottelberg March 2, 2011 at 10:29 am #

Hey Guys,

For the people who are just getting started into video and are on a budget, what fluid video head would you recommend?

Thanks… Trevor

39. Shonta Bolon March 21, 2012 at 3:48 am #

I have been watching the Decorah Eagle family for several weeks now. This video really puts into perspective the difficulties these eagle face on a daily basis. This only makes me love this pair and their newest eaglets even more. Beautiful camera work and story tellling!! This gets two talons up from me!!! Thank you Neil and Bob!

40. Venice Vanwyck April 10, 2014 at 9:19 pm #

My father was a Freemason and his Lodge held their Ladies’ Nights at Frascati’s. I attended a person there when my father was Master of his Lodge, simply a few nights immediately after King George VI died in 1952. I’ve a picture of my mother and father at Frascati’s dated 1954, so it had been however planning strong some ages after the war.

1. Joining Chase on Chase Jarvis Live this Weds « Vincent Laforet’s Blog - March 1, 2011

[...] you have any questions you’d like to ask in advance – pls DO NOT POST HERE – but DO POST questions on Chase’s blog HERE so we can find them all in one place! [...]

2. Stephanie Lynch » Blog Archive » Week 7 - March 2, 2011

[...] http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2011/02/vincent-laforet-on-chase-jarvis-live-this-wednesday/ [...]

3. Two Amazing people TOGETHER!! | Do What You Like, Like What You Do! - March 2, 2011