Too Fast to Live, Too Young to Die

Jello Biafra of the Dead Kennedys. Photo by Glen E Friedman

I grew up listening to punk and metal. But mostly punk. Dead Kennedys. Sex Pistols. Minor Threat. Suicidal Tendencies. Skate. Surf, etc. I still love this music and I have a ton of respect and appreciation for the DIY ethos–and aesthetic–that this culture created. And not just the music either. I’m drawn to the art, the films, and particularly the photography from this era. It’s impromptu. Off the cuff. Simple. Tactile. It’s accessible and unpretentious, and its so freakin’ RAW.

All that’s why I wanted to share that there’s a great gallery show I’m heading down to LA to check out next week at Shepard Fairey’s Subliminal Projects gallery in Echo Park, “Too Fast to Live, Too Young to Die,”. It’s a retrospective of punk/hardcore photography and related art, featuring Edward Colver, Shepard Fairey, Glen E. Friedman, Jenny Lens, Dave Markey, Raymond Pettibon, Jordan Schwartz, and Winston Smith. From the press release:

a “…selection of photography, art and ephemera from the California Punk & Hardcore scene with an emphasis on the explosive period of the late 70′s and early 80′s. This exhibition features both photographers and artists who were present for the detonation of the Southern California scene and whose imagery helped capture and craft it’s angles, attitudes, music, fashion and sub-culture. Reflections of other punk scenes throughout California are included as well as contemporary collaborations inspired by one of the most potent and important periods of free expression in the California story.

The show is open till March 26th. And if anyone has already checked it out – please report back. I’m stoked to check it out.
The shot above is by the great documentarian of that era Glen E. Friedman.

[ASIDE: if its Wednesday when you're reading this, don't forget that I'm LIVE with pulitzer prize winning photographer and award winning director Vincent Laforet right now at chasejarvisLIVE. Tune in now at http://www.chasejarvis.com/live. Come visit and ask some quesitons of Vince via my @chasejarvis twitter handle using #cjLIVE.]

8 Responses to Too Fast to Live, Too Young to Die

1. Mattesh March 2, 2011 at 12:06 pm #

Wow, I´d love to see that show! Too bad I live about 10 thousand km away…

2. Vince March 2, 2011 at 1:55 pm #

Right in my hood! I’ll have to check it out. Thanks!!!

3. Ben March 2, 2011 at 4:23 pm #

I’ll be in LA all next week and have been looking for things to do. Thanks for sharing!

4. Punk Rock Lives March 3, 2011 at 12:45 pm #

My favorite punk photographer Edward Colver was there. In my opinion he is the greatest.

5. George March 5, 2011 at 1:25 pm #

While in LA may I suggest folks check out the photography at the “Anneberg Space for Photography”

Currently its showing the work of five Photographers entitled “Extreme Exposure”

Saw it yesterday and enjoyed… I believe you can look it up online..

GS

• Kelly Minniti March 8, 2011 at 3:04 am #

At the Annenberg they also have a special event every Thursday night where accomplished photographers share some of their work to an audience. It’s called “Iris Nights” and you have to get a ticket in advance, but they are free. Every time I’ve been, I’ve really enjoyed the gallery and the talks.

6. Psychic predictions are not ‘set in stone’ and we all have the energy to
    alter our future. There are a number of online sources for
    extremely extremely inexpensive printed supplies.

I studied with the very best mediums in Dallas/ Ft.

7. Shayne August 5, 2014 at 7:27 pm #

I wish it recognized that I comprehended the issues you had for me.
    A psychic reading was offered to the individual with out actually meeting the person.
    Stick a cute photograph of the receiver in the front of the card.