How & Why We Get Hired :: Interview with an Art Director

In case you missed the last chasejarvisLIVE, we posted the above video excerpt of my interview segment with art director/creative mojo/REI brand manager Jason Sutherland. In this video interview, Jason shares wicked insight on how photographers get selected for jobs, where he and his art director/creative director peers look for new talent, how he judges your work, why, and a whole lot more.

The above vid is only a portion of the full broadcast. Here’s a reminder on how this smorgasbord of chasejarvisLIVE content is shared so that you can get it how you want it going forward…

1. To get the full broadcast, and to be able to ask your questions via chat and twitter, you need to watch them LIVE on the day that they occur, or enjoy the rewatch posted exactly 12 hours later for those on the other side of the planet. For schedule and notice about when/where these are, follow the blog, twitter, Facebook.

2. Just 24 hours after the live broadcast we will post a full audio-only podcast version, downloadable here via free subscription in iTunes (or here via rss feed). I’ve heard from lots of you that… …having this recording in their possession so they can listen anytime they want is useful. As such, we’ll continue to post these.

3. Approx one week after the LIVE show, you can get a video excerpt–not the full show, but a segment chopped outta the show to share some of the content–via my Youtube channel (subscribe here). This saves us on edit/upload effort and hopefully encourages you to tune in live and participate in the worldwide conversation that happens on that day.

Lastly, what is NOT a part of the above replay from chasejarvisLIVE but IS AVAILABLE via a video podcast exclusive, is my 15 minute interview with the wildly inspirational explorer Mike Horn. ||UPDATE: That video is also available at the bottom of this post!|| Mike is hands down one of the most motivating and personally inspirational people I’ve ever met. The VIDEO podcast exclusive is available by subscribing here in iTunes for free [or for the non-iTunes folks via RSS here].

There you have it. Lots of free content in a bunch of different ways. LIVE broadcast, video podcast, audio podcast, youtube, twitter, facebook.

Get some.

29 Responses to How & Why We Get Hired :: Interview with an Art Director

1. Chris April 13, 2011 at 11:05 am #

Amazing interview! Thanks.

2. Philip Rawson April 13, 2011 at 11:07 am #

I caught most of this live, but re-watching this cut has definitely helped fill in the blanks from what I did miss.

I really love how you and your team put out amazing content on a regular basis. This is motivation for me to do the same, and I promise you I will be paying it forward when the time comes. :]

3. Dan April 13, 2011 at 11:12 am #

Awesome information. Thanks to both you and Jason!

Any chance of getting a separate video that contains the amazing conversation you had with Mike Horn?

• Philip Rawson April 13, 2011 at 11:31 am #

I believe the Mike Horn bit is available on the Chase Jarvis iTunes podcast.

• Dartanyon April 13, 2011 at 11:34 am #

Indeed Mike’s interview is in the video podcast referenced in the last paragraph in the blog post.

• Dan April 13, 2011 at 11:53 am #

Doh! I hate asking questions that have already been answered…now to figure out this podcast thing…I don’t ever use/subscribe to them.

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction :)

4. MikeD April 13, 2011 at 11:17 am #

Loved the interviews and wanted to share them out. Real bumer of them being on itunes only. I wont install iTunes on my computer because it is the worst running program I have ever installed on my computer. I was so happey to get off my iPhone just do I didnt have to deal with iTunes anymore.

5. Lee Love Photography April 13, 2011 at 11:30 am #

THANK YOU THANK YOU Great stuff and its fantastic to see how a real relationship between client and photographer should work.

6. Jake Hanocck April 13, 2011 at 12:02 pm #

Thank you for taking the time and sharing this. The interview was insightful. It is not often I hear some one talking about the relationship can improve a results as appose to just building transactions!

7. Bas April 13, 2011 at 2:06 pm #

great information as usually from the Chase Jarvis Live crew.

8. Raph April 13, 2011 at 2:58 pm #

Thanks for answering my question guys !…

Great amount of info !!!!

9. Benjamin April 14, 2011 at 2:51 am #

Great one once again!
    Could you make a making-of for one of the chasejarvis live’s sometime?

10. fas April 14, 2011 at 5:22 am #

Cant wait to see this, its going to be awesome.

11. Kathleen April 14, 2011 at 8:14 am #

This is great! I laughed at that lime-in-coffee mason jar still shot. Thanks Guys!

12. Philipp Ulrich April 14, 2011 at 8:43 am #

This is gold, thank you so much for another great episode. Keep ‘em coming!

13. Julie April 14, 2011 at 9:01 am #

Hey,
    thanks for sharing. Could anybody tell me the titles of the books please ? Except the War of Art that I’ve already read, but couldn’t get the others titles. thanks a lot

14. lou bopp April 14, 2011 at 12:56 pm #

Chase, love this interview, and all that you do for our “community”. I’ve been shooting ads / commercial work in NYC for about 15 yrs.
    Three years ago decided to spend most of my free time in Mississippi shooting the last wave of older delta blues musicians, an era about over. No assistants, producers etc. Old school. Got a book published, out this month which was nice, but the way that project spiked the creative juices in was deadly man. It’s all about following the passion & let nothing get your way, and if does, plow through. Thanks.

15. Ed Verosky April 15, 2011 at 10:59 am #

I like the fact that creatives/buyers are looking for whatever it is they deem “authentic.” For most, it probably indicates a desire for something with more depth rather than just a workable set of images/video. Does it translate? Sometimes. But even more important is that the more people make it known they are looking for something real, the more photographers are going to focus on what they know and how THEY see, rather than just trying to replicate a look they think they can market with more success. Whether the buyer’s search for authenticity is sincere or not, it might encourage the photographer’s search for something more — to reach a little deeper.

16. Dawn Mahaney-Palmerley April 16, 2011 at 5:09 pm #

How does one get on this 500 photographers list???

17. 500 Photographers April 21, 2011 at 11:42 am #

To Dawn and everyone else…

If you want to suggest yourself or another photographer you believe should not be missing on the 500 Photographers website, please go to the following page: http://500photographers.blogspot.com/p/suggestions.html and follow the instructions. I do check all the websites that are submitted but there is only room for one photographer each day.

To Jason Sutherland, thank you very much for the mention, it’s very much appreciated.

Friendly greetings, Pieter Wisse

18. karry April 21, 2011 at 7:01 pm #

19. Pierre Deschamps January 11, 2012 at 12:33 pm #

Thanks a lot for those kinds of interviews. It give answers to many people asking themselves questions and it is great that you are taking the time to do so. Well done good on you. Best. Pierre

20. Patrina Mcgready September 22, 2014 at 12:57 pm #

Many thanks for the Good Contest. Would love to win!!

21. the lovely dragon September 23, 2014 at 12:44 am #

I love you.

1. 10 Questions with an Art Director [What You Need To Know] | Chase Jarvis Blog - April 22, 2011

[...] 10 questions (pulled from yours and updated with a few of mine) that needed answering following my chasejarvisLIVE a couple weeks back with AD/Brand Manager Jason Sutherland. Here, Jason goes [...]

2. ChaseJarvis: 10 things you want to know from an Art Director « verdictphotographyblog - April 25, 2011

[...] 10 questions (pulled from yours and updated with a few of mine) that needed answering following my chasejarvisLIVE a couple weeks back with AD/Brand Manager Jason Sutherland. Here, Jason goes [...]

3. 10 Things You Want To Know From an Art Director by : CHASE JARVIS « ANATHALYST - April 29, 2011