Photographer JR. The Power of Photography.

I’ve watched this vid a half dozen times since it came out a while back. I never tire of it. If you missed it when it first dropped –OR, hell, even if you’ve seen it before–please saddle up here for 5 min and enjoy the unique power of photography.

When I talk about “Social Art” (like here for example) this is, in part, what I’m getting at. A magnificent and stunning example here from JR. Top tier. Scale. Impact. All of it.

Bravo.

[JR's TED talk is here if you didn't catch that a while back]

49 Responses to Photographer JR. The Power of Photography.

1. Nate Perkes April 7, 2011 at 3:25 pm #

This is absolutely incredible. Thanks so much Chase for posting this. Insanely amazing.

2. Steve Kress April 7, 2011 at 3:29 pm #

Thanks Chase this is fantastic – truly amazing how moving an image can be.

3. maniek April 7, 2011 at 3:41 pm #

why i have never heard of it???? WOW….. blew my mind…. speechless

4. Dan Kaufman April 7, 2011 at 3:49 pm #

Exceptionally inspiring !!

I was not aware of this artist or this video. Thank you Chase Jarvis for shouting out !!

5. stephane April 7, 2011 at 3:55 pm #

Thanks Chase for sharing this video. I knew about the work of JR but never watch this video. It is really inspiring approach to social peacemaker through this art. your generosity is also a source of inspiration. Thank!

• Stephan April 10, 2011 at 8:47 am #

Thank you so much for sharing this Chase. These images and footage is simply incredible.
      This video is sheer beauty. It makes you think, it shows how other people are really occupied with what happens on this small planet. These images and especially their use show involvement, vision and courage.

6. diala chinedu April 7, 2011 at 4:34 pm #

Amazing on soo many levels…will post on my blog

7. Mike Sweeney April 7, 2011 at 4:40 pm #

What an amazing short vid clip. I had not heard of JR before.. but I will certainly follow more closely now. It’s things like this that make me wish I was more than a few years younger but with what I know now.

8. Peter Le April 7, 2011 at 5:17 pm #

Yup.

9. Kimberly Haugen April 7, 2011 at 5:31 pm #

Chase!!! You have finally helped me solve a mystery I have had for years. I was in Liberia, West Africa and took this image:

I wanted to know why that image was on the wall and what it meant. I saw this woman on several walls in Monrovia, but no one could give me an answer.

Thank you so much for posting this video and solving my mystery.

10. Matt Momberger April 7, 2011 at 6:11 pm #

Very inspiring. He just did numerous pieces in Los Angeles that I am grateful to see daily.

11. kjfoto April 7, 2011 at 6:31 pm #

wow! i just got chills. i love his words, “I’m not trying to change the world, but when I see a smile… I cannot help but think I’ve achieved my goals.”

12. ray April 7, 2011 at 7:20 pm #

man… i just wanna sit back and stare at my camera… indeed a powerful tool…

13. Joe Sankey April 7, 2011 at 7:26 pm #

This is astounding, Chase. Thank you for sharing it. I think that if we, as photographers, pass this link on to others (as I will now) we help perpetuate his project in some small way. Very, very humbling.

14. Alan April 8, 2011 at 12:05 am #

Thank you so much Chase – truly inspiring – picking my camera up again now

15. Rohit46 April 8, 2011 at 12:12 am #

thanks a lot chase….though i never heard about JR. much, but seem he has a great talent portraying the real people (the common man)
    totally inspired by his idea, will try to work over it sooner after my examinations.

16. bimal nair April 8, 2011 at 12:18 am #

this is art in form of insanely creative expression! am totally blown out…thanks a ton for sharing this Chase! You make our world connected at your own little share. Thanks as always!

17. Viktor Alex April 8, 2011 at 12:35 am #

Thanks Chase for sharing this.

Spread art, spread creativity!
    Keep fighting the good fight!

18. Daniel April 8, 2011 at 12:56 am #

Wow, wish I had the courage to do such things as well… …great Idea, greater effect. Simply amazing!

19. Andrew Tan April 8, 2011 at 1:03 am #

This is truly inspiring. Thank you for another enlightening post. Can I what medium he made those humongous prints in and is it accessible to kids like myself?

20. Andreas April 8, 2011 at 4:06 am #

Thank you so much for posting this! Very inspiring. This guy really makes me feel like there are no borders in this world, at least for the time the video lasts.

21. Scott MacKenzie April 8, 2011 at 5:18 am #

SO diggin’ the Power of Photography! Thanks again, you guys.

22. Anne-Marie April 8, 2011 at 6:37 am #

Very inspiring!

23. Kurtis Bowersock April 8, 2011 at 6:48 am #

F in’ Awesome!

Thank you for passing it along.

24. DanielKphoto April 8, 2011 at 7:07 am #

Wow, he’s amazing, thanks so much for sharing! I’m gonna tweet that out right away!

25. fas April 8, 2011 at 9:28 am #

Awesome and highly inspiring.

26. Rudy April 8, 2011 at 9:50 am #

Thanks Chase – very inspirational!

27. Daniel April 8, 2011 at 10:56 am #

I saw it, posted it and showed everyone I knew the whole TED Talk.
    I’m trying to figure out what statement I want to make with his website.

28. Dmitry April 8, 2011 at 1:31 pm #

Thinking!

29. photopoeth April 8, 2011 at 2:06 pm #

THANX A LOT! This is really amazing!

30. michael murphy April 8, 2011 at 3:59 pm #

sick. in a good way of course. i cannot think of another word to describe it.

31. Rich Siberry April 8, 2011 at 7:39 pm #

Siuperb

32. thierry bervoets April 9, 2011 at 1:20 am #

Amazing thank you
    for the readers : go to woman are heroes

For Chase than you for all

titi dundee

33. RichardO April 9, 2011 at 3:25 am #

Too right, Chase, you can watch this time and time and time again. Sensational. It’s moving, relevant, empowering,involving, generous and impassioned. And if ever there was a project that screams, “It’s about ideas, people, IDEAS!!!”, this is it. Of course it also helps that it is an idea that is brilliantly executed. TED got it right and thanks for pointing us to this work.

34. Chris April 9, 2011 at 3:53 pm #

Mesmerising and really inspiring. Thanks Chase for sharing it :)

35. Todd Aaron April 10, 2011 at 1:37 pm #

That was inspirational! I had not seen it before. Thanks for posting that!

Todd

36. @tristanography April 11, 2011 at 5:29 am #

Thats one of the most inspiring things i have seen in a long time, its the shizzle

37. Auj April 11, 2011 at 5:59 pm #

Social Art is something that all artists must consider putting as one elements of their works. This is one major way to affect the society and help bring and push about change especially in a world today that is dying. If we would tap art as an effective tool and medium to contribute to the society, then we would surely realize how such a small step can already bring a huge offering to the society and our communities.

38. André Weigel April 12, 2011 at 12:50 am #

Great work… !

39. Lou April 21, 2011 at 6:26 am #

This brought tears to my eyes…

Truly incredible and extremely powerful…

JR *is* changing the world, if only in a small way…

Thanks for sharing, Chase…

40. Prawnicy w warszawie November 23, 2011 at 10:28 am #

I’ve been exploring for a little for any high-quality articles or blog posts on this sort of area . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this site. Reading this information So i’m happy to convey that I have an incredibly good uncanny feeling I discovered just what I needed. I most certainly will make certain to do not forget this web site and give it a glance on a constant basis.

41. Ora Erhard February 16, 2013 at 12:32 am #

Charity begins by home.

42. Verlie Akapo September 26, 2014 at 12:55 am #

Lovely website! I am loving it!! Will come back again. I am taking your feeds also.

43. Ismael Rovinsky October 8, 2014 at 10:31 pm #

You will find definitely a whole lot of particulars like that to take into consideration. That’s a fantastic point to bring up. I provide the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where one of the most vital thing will likely be operating in honest excellent faith. I don?t know if finest practices have emerged around items like that, but I am confident that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Each boys and girls feel the impact of just a moment’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

44. LTN156AT02 November 12, 2014 at 1:00 am #

I was speaking with a good friend of mine regarding this article and even about lcd touch screen as well. I feel you made a lot of good points on this page, we’re also looking forward to find out more stuff from you.

1. whats your share? « Bimchum's Blog - April 8, 2011

[...] Thanks to Chase Jarvis for sharing this video and introducing me to this awesome concept and the bri… [...]

2. JR – Fotografie und Streetart | visual.rebellion - April 17, 2011

[...] kommen, möchte ich heute mal einen Künstler featuren, dessen Arbeiten mir seit einer Weile immer wieder begegnen und mich jedes mal auf’s Neue schwer beeindrucken. Ein französischer [...]

3. The Power of Photography | Weekend Reading - CaptureYour365 | CaptureYour365 - May 29, 2012

[...] Photograph JR The Power of Photography | ChaseJarvis.com (amazing) [...]