Polaroid GL10 Instant Mobile Printer Available in 10, 9, 8…

The Polaroid GL10 Mobile Instant Printer

You knew it was coming. A bazillion of you have been asking and now you are among the first to know: the Polaroid GL10 Mobile Instant Printer that was announced back at CES in January is now available for pre-order, but more importantly, it will hit some actual retail shelves first thing this morning in limited quantities.

The GL10 (I’ve been fondly calling it the Polaprinter) was designed to be the center of attention at any party, and as a mechanism to easily print the images we’re all making everyday on our mobile phones, point-and-shoots, etc. Until you’ve actually handed one of your friends a print from their 21 run, from a 2am escapade on the dance floor, from the birthday bash, or last night’s dinner party, you might not get it. But from that point on, you will. These days a little print is a rare treat. Now we’ve finally got some photos to put back on the fridge rather than leaving them locked up in a thumb drive or on Facebook.

So the GL10 is great for all that, but since I’ve been able to talk rather openly about it since January…[hit 'continue reading for more images & links]…you know it’s been a fresh little workhorse for me. I created the first piece of fine art with this new printer back in January (which I’m proud to say immediately sold to a patron on the board at the Seattle Art Museum) and–more recently–it’s one of the tools I have been using it to print the ongoing Dasein: Invitation to Hang show here in NYC. She’s a worthy steed. And until you’ve printed bunches with her, you’ll have to take my word how nice it is to A) never have to futz with formatting a basic snapshot before hitting ‘print’; and B) never have to shell out bank for costly ink cartridges that ultimately just add to the landfills.

Here’s the nuts and bolts you wanna know about the GL10:
_it prints on 3×4 inch Zink (zero-ink) paper
_the Zink paper comes–in heritage Polaroid fashion–in packs of 10 sheets
_it prints in two formats: full bleed or with the traditional Polaroid frame
_it is USB and bluetooth enabled for printing from computer or mobile phone
_is battery operated OR can be plugged in

If you’re a tech-spec geek, you’ll want to check on the tech sites in forthcoming days for all the detailed info. You should know that there’s desktop software available AND mobile app software in the dev pipeline. Also, to date, Apple has still not released its Bluetooth API for printing, so sadly the iPhone doesn’t enjoy the benefits of other platforms for direct printing. I’m…ahem…banking all that gets worked out soon.

Wanna buy one? They’re available for pre-order now at Polaroid.com for $169.99 OR if you’re really jonesing for one: I’ve heard they will be on shelves this morning in limited quantities in an exclusive sneak peek at Bloomingdale’s on Lexington Ave here in NYC. They’re in the Mens Accessories section. GL10 availability at Bloomingdale’s isn’t being highlighted to general public until later this morning when they unveil some posh storefront windows displays (check those out tomorrow if you’re into that sort of stuff), but by then you’ll probably have gobbled all of the printers up anyway.

Set to be unveiled tomorrow here on Lexington Ave. But you found out today.

Updated: here’s a couple snapshots of the prints with my iphone. Obviously no technical analysis here, just to give you flavor.

95 Responses to Polaroid GL10 Instant Mobile Printer Available in 10, 9, 8…

1. Toby May 26, 2011 at 5:17 am #

so nice! How much is one pack of Zink paper for this printer? U know that?

• Normand Desjardins May 26, 2011 at 5:57 am #

Found this : The GL10 Instant Mobile Printer will be available in the US for $169.99 (MSRP). Thirty sheets of ZINK GL10 photo paper will retail in the US for $19.99 (MSRP).

0.66$ per 3″x4″ print.

2. Scott Webb May 26, 2011 at 5:20 am #

I’ve been waiting for this bad boy!!!!!! AW YES!

This is seriously awesome and raises my heart-rate. Let the parties begin!

3. Abhi May 26, 2011 at 5:23 am #

When you first presented it at the CES, you showed a short video featuring yourself…thats available on your youtube channel?

Abhi.

• Chase May 26, 2011 at 8:08 am #

haven’t posted that… I think polaroid might have it. lemme get back to you.

• Abhi May 26, 2011 at 2:13 pm #

Sure. Thanks.

4. Jose Betancur May 26, 2011 at 5:27 am #

Chase, did you know if it works well with the iPhone?

• Chase May 26, 2011 at 8:09 am #

i print my iphone shots via bluetooth from my mac since–as i mention in the post–iphone not yet opened it’s api for print via bluetooth. i hope it’s coming soon.

• Toine Lee December 12, 2012 at 6:51 pm #

Will it still work with the iphone if the devise is connected with a usb cord?

5. www.minacicconi.com May 26, 2011 at 5:33 am #

Awe yeah.

6. Pavel Redko May 26, 2011 at 5:34 am #

Very cool – thanks for the heads-up! I may have to grab one of these once it hits stores nationwide.

How is the quality of the prints btw?

7. Rebekah May 26, 2011 at 5:46 am #

I don’t get it.. why not just use a polaroid camera?

• Chase May 26, 2011 at 8:11 am #

@rebekah: these are to print digital prints outta your phone, p&s, etc. for those folks not lucky enough to have a polaroid camera or folks whose primary camera is…ahem…the one thats with them ;)

8. Julian May 26, 2011 at 5:53 am #

What’s the difference between that and the Polaroid pogo?!

• W May 26, 2011 at 6:52 am #

I wondered the same thing. Apparently the Pogo prints on 2×3 Zink paper ($13USD per 30 prints) that turn into stickers if you peel off the backing. The new GL10 prints on 3×4 Zink paper (reported to be $20USD per 30 prints). I found more information on Zink.com. Apparently it’s available in 4×6 as well (requires Pandigital device).

• Julian May 26, 2011 at 12:16 pm #

Ahh so it’s a bigger pogo. I have a pogo, but this looks better… so do the prints.

9. Matt Birdsall Photo May 26, 2011 at 6:08 am #

Any idea on when we can see more on the GL30 Camera?

• Chase May 26, 2011 at 8:12 am #

i’ve played around with it. sexy. watch this space and you’ll be the first to know….again ;)

10. Ruben Lammerink May 26, 2011 at 6:23 am #

I’m wondering if they improved the quality of the Zink paper, about a year and a half ago I bought the Polaroid Pogo which uses the same technology and made some prints (unfortunately the device got stolen as it was really cool) and hanged them on a wall, in the meantime they have curled badly and don’t look as nice as the day I printed them.
    Any idea if the problem is still persistent?

• TimR May 26, 2011 at 7:59 am #

In the post before this one I noticed that the prints on Ace Hotel wall look like they have serious curling problems, and was wondering about this too.

11. Lander Vanhoof May 26, 2011 at 6:31 am #

Chase, can you link a picture from a photo printed with the new Pola-printer? My Pogo has a real problem with the battery length and all the pictures show stripes on them.. and i’m wondering if it’s fixed with this bigger update.

• Chase May 26, 2011 at 8:15 am #

no striping here. i’ve been keeping them plugged in since i’m printing such a high number. since those deets are my forte, check out one of the tech sites for spec info on exact battery life, tech specs, etc. Only think I know from experience is that it takes about 40 secs to print one image. no ink necessary – thermal printing.

• JEFF June 30, 2013 at 4:50 am #

HI CHASE. I KNOW THAT THE PRINTER WILL NOT PRINT VIA BLUETOOTH FROM THE IPHONE. HOWEVER, WILL IT PRINT IF DIRECTLY CONNECTED WITH THE IPHONE CABLE? THANKS AND I LOVE YOUR WORK! JEFF

12. joop May 26, 2011 at 6:34 am #

I normally don’t enjoy blatant product placement, but this actually seems like a fantastic idea/product so it’s cool :-)
    Might consider getting one myself.

Seems to fit in really well with the snapshot project you’re working on!

13. altaf May 26, 2011 at 6:51 am #

Oh! i’ve been waiting for it badly. sad to hear that we cannot print drictly from the iphone!

14. fas May 26, 2011 at 7:00 am #

Well its still little expensive.

15. James May 26, 2011 at 7:28 am #

Hey Bro,

I love your stuff as always. This blog post reads like an ad; so I would appreciate it if you would disclose if you have a financial arrangement with the company. Because if you don’t; that makes it very cool. But, if you do – then really – you should make that note.

• Chase May 26, 2011 at 8:21 am #

hi james. I’ve had a disclosures page on my blog (sidebar) since long before it was the norm and a thanks to polaroid in that sidebar for same amount of time – on every page of my blog. as it says in that disclosure, i’m excited to have a relationship with lots of brands. I choose them carefully and only thumbs up things/brands that I actually dig. take that as you will. specifically as such, i’ve had a relationship with polaroid that’s been well publicized in the media for at least 6 months (just checked and there are 65,000 results on google for those combined search terms). hope that helps.

• James May 27, 2011 at 6:50 am #

Chase, thanks for taking the time to read the comments – yeah I checked out your disclosures before I commented but I wasn’t aware of your relationship with Polaroid. If you feel it is more than sufficient then dump my comment; I don’t want to rain on the Polaroid parade. I’m a big fan of Edwin Land and all the good stuff that came from his work (or the modern derivatives).

16. rich May 26, 2011 at 8:12 am #

i hate you for making me want one of these!

17. Pete May 26, 2011 at 8:52 am #

This is almost a win. Too bad the Bluetooth API for the iPhone isn’t working yet!

18. Benny May 26, 2011 at 9:24 am #

Hey Chase,

This looks brilliant! Just a quick question, will this be available worldwide? If so would it be at a later date? If not is there a way to get one without going through ebay etc? I’m from Australia and would love to get my hands on one of these.

Love your work, (You and the Dasein project feature heavily on my new blog :P )

Benny

19. Terry Divyak May 26, 2011 at 9:25 am #

Chase,

Is this the type of paper that they used in the old SX-70 film? I miss being able to “Polapaint” by manipulating the emulsion.

Thanks for sharing this… added it to the must have list.

Terry

• Chase May 26, 2011 at 9:36 am #

nope this is different stuff entirely. thermal printing, not chemical. you can’t play with emulsion, but since it’s heat sensitive, you can play with that with some cool results. I’ve been taking a lighter to some of them at a distance and getting cool color fields…

20. Kelly May 26, 2011 at 11:16 am #

I love the look of the new Polaroid printer! But I can’t find information on what comes in the box with the printer…unless I’m looking in the wrong place (entirely possible!)… :-D

21. Heather May 26, 2011 at 11:30 am #

I have the pogo printer that they released a few years ago. Prints 2×3. Love it and prints are okay. I am truly interested in this one. Can’t wait to get one ordered. Thanks Chase for the info and review!

22. Scott May 26, 2011 at 3:03 pm #

That pic of the legs looks kinda creepy stalker mobile phone cam upskirt attempt-ish.

23. Mandobarista May 26, 2011 at 8:07 pm #

por fin! pero cuando llegara a Mexico:/

24. Alyn May 27, 2011 at 12:17 am #

That thing is almost as big as my old SX-70 Alpha. I miss my old polaroid camera. This doesn’t have the same charm, but I have really missed being able to give away instant prints, so it’s becoming an appealing substitute. I’ll watch this space.

25. Aaron Alfano May 27, 2011 at 12:21 am #

I would think seriously about buying one of these if it has an SD card slot.

26. Robert May 27, 2011 at 4:55 pm #

I have the Canon Selphy CP800 for proofing and fun shots it also has a small foot print but not as slim line as the Polaroid GL10. The CP800 produces excellent dye sublimation prints 4″x6″. $90USD for the printer and a 108 print – ribbon ink pack costs around $29-34USD, the average print cost is roughly 33 cents. It has a small built in screen and can work without a PC / Mac.

The battery pack and the bluetooth adapter are optional extras.

27. gordon May 28, 2011 at 5:46 am #

I find it kind of sad but I am looking forward to the new fake polaroid digital camera. fun!

28. Rachel Tatem May 28, 2011 at 5:58 am #

The new look is great!

29. claude etienne May 28, 2011 at 8:25 am #

Chase,

This printer looks great, but the 3×4 paper doesn’t seem to have the adhesive in the back that the 2×3 paper has. There is no mention of it on the official site. Being able to stick these anywhere is part of the appeal.

30. Jan May 29, 2011 at 9:58 am #

Anyone else pick one of these up yet? Got mine yesterday and I gotta say that I’m a little disappointed with the prints. The design and functionality of the printer are way cool, but the color reproduction is pretty bad, especially with skin tones and reds. Chase, your prints in the gallery look pretty good (and retro)… I’m wondering if you desaturate them or do anything special before printing?

• chase Jarvis May 29, 2011 at 12:01 pm #

Hey Jan. Bizzare. Strange to hear that. You probably know this but you will need to do any retouching, color balance, styling etc before you hit print. All of the images I’m running thru it have seen some basic color work up – not just raw. (as in mine or other peoples images before they are sent to me). Same would be true for any printer… Generally Im getting really good “looks like ita supposed to” results. Perhaps your monitor is way outta whack?

• Jan May 30, 2011 at 10:45 am #

Thanks Chase. I don’t think my monitor is that far off, but I’ll keep fiddling with my images and see if I get better prints. I’ll be curious to see what kind of results others get as well.

Btw, lots of cool stuff on the blog, thanks for always sharing your insights!

31. gary x lee May 29, 2011 at 8:28 pm #

this is so nice, I can’t wait to get one this. the photos very looks like the old Polaroid photo.

32. sunglasses 2011 May 30, 2011 at 3:08 am #

so good invention!

33. gary x lee May 30, 2011 at 11:02 pm #

hi chase I went to Bloomingdale today, I got the printer but no the paper, do you know any place have it. thx

34. Harri Rauhanummi June 13, 2011 at 7:19 am #

Im really enjoying my GL10 but the pack of 10 ZINK papers was fast consumed. Do you have any idea when the papers come available for order?

35. Gonzo July 22, 2011 at 12:28 am #

Hey Chase,

Thanks for sharing your insights. I recently purchased this little printer and was able to pair with my MacBook Pro but could not get any further. There is not a lot on the internet about support or software for this mobile printer. Could you shed some light on how exactly you print, what program you use and where to get it? Thank you so much.

Cheers!

36. מדפסות September 4, 2011 at 3:05 am #

Great post man!
    There is a information that so good to know!

37. Bill September 28, 2011 at 12:58 pm #

Sounds very interesting. Would it be sold in Canadian stores?

38. HPCLprinter October 20, 2011 at 1:27 am #

Nice article and so very interesting ! Thank you for good information.

39. Rodney Bennington October 22, 2011 at 3:22 pm #

Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all of us you actually realize what you’re speaking about! Bookmarked. Kindly also visit my site =). We could have a link exchange agreement between us!

40. donato greco November 16, 2011 at 3:02 am #

there is an interesting blog post that explains all the annoying issues you can have using this Polaprint device here http://superfamicomtastic.wordpress.com/2011/09/05/polaroid-gl10-failure-review/

just for all of us to know “that glittering may not always be gold”.

A disclaimer here, I have not a Polaprint to test it !!!

41. Lyn Mccollom March 4, 2012 at 11:22 am #

I was surprised exactly how much of this I didn’t know. Thank you for posting this information. I’ll be sure to check back right here to find out if you have any brand-new articles.

42. Sheryll Lehmkuhl March 21, 2012 at 3:54 am #

It would of been superb to find this post earlier.

43. Maridette April 16, 2012 at 12:51 pm #

I had bought this a while back but was frustrated with it because it would cut off part of the photo. Any tips on preventing this?

44. talie April 29, 2012 at 8:52 pm #

Almost a year later and no iphone app that i can find…. or am I just not looking in the right places?

45. Cross July 4, 2012 at 10:52 pm #

Is it possible to make 2×3 photos with this one? it would be nice to have the improved quality from this printer and the sticky back from the Pogo paper.

46. hair extension training July 12, 2012 at 7:24 am #

salutations from over the sea. detailed blog I shall return for more.

47. TrainingHair July 20, 2012 at 9:36 am #

thank you for such an informative information on hair. We train in hair extensions in the UK.

48. Vaughn Erven November 18, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

I located some data related to construction companies online that you might find an interest about.

49. Fe Pucker November 26, 2012 at 7:32 am #

50. Madeleine December 10, 2012 at 8:47 am #

Is it possible to print from the iPhone using the USB cable? Or will I have to do it via MacBook?

51. Jerome Doles January 8, 2013 at 2:21 am #

I simply hunted to enter down a dumpy communication to understand you for apiece of the superb recommendations you’re posting on this website. My cumbersome internet lookup has now been remunerated for with high-quality concept to share with you with our friends. I n assert that many of us readers are generally fantastically accidental to reside in the perfect smudge with lots of marvellous those with effective effects. I sense slightly fortunate to have encountered your thorough muddle website and expect so supplementary spine-tingling periods reading under. Merit a full allocation once additional in support of all the details.

52. ねどろぺ May 25, 2013 at 1:20 am #

Unquestionably believe that which you said. Your favorite incentive seemed to live on the internet t

53. ptuopk June 18, 2013 at 12:06 pm #

The look for the site is a little bit off in Epiphany. Even So I like your weblog. I might have to install a normal web browser just to enjoy it.

1. Polaroid GL10 instant mobile printer now available for pre-order, Lady Gaga-approved | MakeNoise : MakeNoise - May 26, 2011

[...] Permalink Chase Jarvis  |  Polaroid  | Email this | Comments [...]

2. RicciAngel News » Polaroid GL10 instant mobile printer now available for pre-order, Lady Gaga-approved - May 26, 2011

[...] Permalink Chase Jarvis  |  Polaroid  | Email this | Comments [...]

3. Polaroid GL10 instant mobile printer now available for pre-order, Lady Gaga-approved | Health Fitness Points - May 26, 2011

[...] Permalink Chase Jarvis  |  Polaroid  | Email this | Comments [...]

4. Polaroid GL10 instant mobile printer now available for pre-order, Lady Gaga-approved | http://droidsuperstore.com - May 26, 2011

[...] Permalink Chase Jarvis  |  Polaroid  | Email this | Comments Engadget [...]

5. Jeff’s Home » Blog Archive » Polaroid GL10 instant mobile printer now available for pre-order, Lady Gaga-approved - May 26, 2011

[...] Permalink Chase Jarvis  |  Polaroid  | Email this | Comments [...]

6. Polaroid GL10 instant mobile printer now available for pre-order, Lady Gaga-approved | Cebu Website - May 26, 2011

[...] Permalink Chase Jarvis  |  Polaroid  | Email this | Comments [...]

7. Polaroid GL10 instant mobile printer now available for pre-order, Lady Gaga-approved « miltonkeynesbedsits.co.uk - May 26, 2011

[...] Permalink Chase Jarvis  |  Polaroid  | Email this | Comments [...]

8. Polaroid GL10 instant mobile printer now available for pre-order, Lady Gaga-approved | Gyootech - May 26, 2011

[...] Permalink Chase Jarvis  |  Polaroid  | Email this | Comments [...]

9. Polaroid GL10 instant mobile printer now available for pre-order, Lady Gaga-approved – Nieuws over Gadgets en elektronica - May 27, 2011

[...] Permalink Chase Jarvis  |  Polaroid  | Email this | Comments [...]

10. Engadget: Polaroid Instant Mobile Printer GL10 nu beschikbaar voor pre-order, Lady Gaga-goedgekeurde – Gadgets blog en nieuws - May 27, 2011

[...] 2011-05-26 14:07:00 EDT. Gelieve ons voorwaarden zien voor het gebruik van feeds . Permalink Chase Jarvis | Polaroid | E-mail deze | [...]

11. Polaroid GL10 instant mobile printer now available for pre-order, Lady Gaga-approved | Atlantis - May 27, 2011

[...] Permalink Chase Jarvis  |  Polaroid  | Email this | Comments var wordpress_toolbar_urls = ["http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/26/polaroid-gl10-instant-mobile-printer-now-available-for-pre-order/","http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/lady-gaga-and-polaroid-launch-grey-label-instant-camera-printer/","http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/lady-gaga-and-polaroid-launch-grey-label-instant-camera-printer/","http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/26/polaroid-gl10-instant-mobile-printer-now-available-for-pre-order/","http://www.engadget.com","http://www.weblogsinc.com/feed-terms/","http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/26/polaroid-gl10-instant-mobile-printer-now-available-for-pre-order/","http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2011/05/polaroid-gl10-mobile-instant-printer-now-available/","http://store.polaroid.com/product/0/425422/GL10/_/Instant_Mobile_Printer","http://www.engadget.com/forward/19951154/","http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/26/polaroid-gl10-instant-mobile-printer-now-available-for-pre-order/#comments";var wordpress_toolbar_url = "http://atlantean.in/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-toolbar/toolbar.php";var wordpress_toolbar_oinw = "oinw";var wordpress_toolbar_hash = "aHR0cDovL2F0bGFudGVhbi5pbi9wb2xhcm9pZC1nbDEwLWluc3RhbnQtbW9iaWxlLXByaW50ZXItbm93LWF2YWlsYWJsZS1mb3ItcHJlLW9yZGVyLWxhZHktZ2FnYS1hcHByb3ZlZC88d3B0Yj5Qb2xhcm9pZCBHTDEwIGluc3RhbnQgbW9iaWxlIHByaW50ZXIgbm93IGF2YWlsYWJsZSBmb3IgcHJlLW9yZGVyLCBMYWR5IEdhZ2EtYXBwcm92ZWQ8d3B0Yj5odHRwOi8vYXRsYW50ZWFuLmluPHdwdGI%2BQXRsYW50aXM%3D"; Filed under: Engadget Leave a comment Comments (0) Trackbacks (0) ( subscribe to comments on this post ) [...]

12. Engadget: Polaroid GL10 instant mobile printer now available for pre-order, Lady Gaga-approved – Nieuws over Gadgets en elektronica - May 27, 2011

[...] Permalink Chase Jarvis  |  Polaroid  | Email this | Comments [...]

13. Polaroid GL10 instant mobile printer now available for pre-order, Lady Gaga-approved | Techie Journal - May 27, 2011

[...] Permalink Chase Jarvis  |  Polaroid  | Email this | Comments [...]

14. Polaroid: impresora Polaroid Grey Label GL10 – copias como las de antes | fotochismes.com - May 27, 2011

[...] también el artículo que el blog de Chase Jarvis informa que los usuarios del iPhone no podrán disfrutar de la impresión directa sin cables debido [...]

15. Polaroid GL10 instant mobile printer now available for pre-order, Lady Gaga-approved | Dress Juice - May 27, 2011

[...] Permalink Chase Jarvis  |  Polaroid  | Email this | Comments [...]

16. Polaroid GL10 instant mobile printer now available for pre-order, Lady Gaga-approved | elsyrowden - May 27, 2011

[...] Permalink Chase Jarvis  |  Polaroid  | Email this | Comments [...]

17. Polaroid GL10 instant mobile printer now available for pre-order, Lady Gaga-approved | Tech Articles - May 27, 2011

[...] Permalink Chase Jarvis  |  Polaroid  | Email this | Comments [...]

18. Polaroid GL10 instant mobile printer now available for pre-order, Lady Gaga-approved | Virginmed - May 27, 2011

[...] Permalink Chase Jarvis  |  Polaroid  | Email this | Comments [...]

19. Polaroid GL10 instant mobile printer now available for pre-order, Lady Gaga-approved | gykudiruselu - May 27, 2011

20. Quick weekend links | Photo Rumors - May 29, 2011

[...] Polaroid GL10 mobile instant printer is now shipping. Announced back at CES 2011, the printer has Bluetooth connectivity that allows [...]

21. Polaroid GL10 - July 28, 2011

[...] in the moment, that seemed, well, almost Polaroid.  Lady Gaga endorsing it?  Who cares.  Chase Jarvis endorsing it?  Now that’s [...]

22. Polaroid 50-50-50 Art Exhibition Announced by Chase Jarvis | Chase Jarvis Blog - August 30, 2011

[...] Then, using a meticulous gridding process, we assigned those photos to a corresponding “pixel” in the mosaic, and printed each one of those pixels as it’s own unique print using the GL10 Instant Mobile Printer. [...]