Enjoy Your [Demolished] Breakfast at 1000fps

I’m never one to drop a heavy post on you headed into the weekend. So this one is light. So light in fact that it floats in the air like your morning toast and coffee and orange juice you’re about to eat. You may have caught this a couple weeks ago, but I was too buried to share it. So here ’tis. Consider this while you’re grabbing brunch over the next two days. The above is the behind-the-scenes. After the jump is the final piece.

[Side note: one thing I like about this is that it's not that difficult, but the result is lovely. There is no brain surgery happening here, no mysterious lighting, no crazy hardcore effects. Relatively speaking, this is about as straight forward as it gets with a high speed camera and a commercial. Good concept. I can't say that I always prefer this style, but it's a reminder that often times simple concept, good execution makes good stuff. ]

Finished vid after the jump…

BSS | Breakfast Interrupted from Bruton Stroube Studios on Vimeo.

36 Responses to Enjoy Your [Demolished] Breakfast at 1000fps

1. Luca Brajato June 3, 2011 at 9:53 am #

That’s stunning, thanks for sharing Chase!

2. Chris June 3, 2011 at 10:04 am #

Pretty awesome video.

3. AJ June 3, 2011 at 10:19 am #

Amazing video, even better idea.

4. Dimi June 3, 2011 at 10:26 am #

Very nice, thanks!!

5. Mari June 3, 2011 at 10:38 am #

That was fun and refreshing. Special thanks for HD quality – large display makes it even more enjoyable!

6. Rockwell June 3, 2011 at 10:43 am #

I hate to see this video, one should respect food. See below video where you will see kids do not have food to eat. No fun while wasting Food.

• Pitboy June 3, 2011 at 11:09 am #

I understand your point, but just how do you expect to get that breakfast to Africa? How many things do you do in the routine of your day Rockwell that supports the division between the 1st world and the 3rd world? Do you own a car? Drink Coffee? Shop at a store? Use electricity? Stay at hotels, Eat breakfast, Vote? Pro-create? Just by living in the west and supporting the system here, you are in actuality, increasing the divide and adding to the number of the starving in the 3rd world. Don’t judge this if you are part of the problem.
      This is about art. Far more wasteful things are done in the name of pursuits that have nothing to do with creativity.

• Dave j June 3, 2011 at 12:30 pm #

Agree with Rockwell. There should be some limit to art and creativity. At least not with Food.

• Kevin June 3, 2011 at 12:37 pm #

Where is third world Pitboy? Rediculas to see your division.

• nickel June 7, 2011 at 9:47 pm #

Rediculas?

7. David Johnson June 3, 2011 at 10:55 am #

Beautifully shot, thx for sharing Chase.

8. Matt Timmons June 3, 2011 at 1:47 pm #

I’d like if you could elaborate on what you meant by not preferring that style. Is it in the technical execution or the vision all together?

9. Vinoth l ishootstreets.com June 3, 2011 at 4:49 pm #

And half of the world starving to death. have a good weekend.

10. Han June 3, 2011 at 6:03 pm #

I have loved almost every blog posting till this one. The food need not get to Africa, passing it to some homeless people on the streets will make their week one worth living. This is definitely not something I will be proud of doing or having it on my reel.

• Rockwell June 3, 2011 at 8:12 pm #

Agree Han. Who says Africans are only hungry, and Pitboy says third world why to think about this. We differentiate who is 1st world or 3rd world. Every country has poor people.

Need to help them and I do as much as I can. Atleast I dont waste food for this kind of creativity. I am shocked after seeing above two videos.

I do so many commercial vids’ photos and follow Chase’s blogs sincerely but personally I did not like this and it does not mean that everyone will hate this video. Its upto you guys how to take this.

• Kathleen June 4, 2011 at 6:24 am #

You know what? After you are finished being judgemental & political while mentioning your reel, you may want to lightening up, open your eyes a bit, and actually do what this beautifully shot piece suggests: Rethink the word “breakfast.” Grab a good dictionary if need be.

11. Rachel Tatem June 4, 2011 at 12:08 am #

Looks like an amazing spread!

12. Meerz June 4, 2011 at 12:53 am #

OMG! that’s amazing !!!!

13. Jeremy Jeziorski June 4, 2011 at 6:04 am #

Question – can a DP get their hands on the Phantom Flex *without* smashing something just for fun? ;-)

Methinks not.

As for wasting food – there are few things more wasteful than your average film/tv/commercial shoot… Something is always being rendered useless by the production methods. Singling THIS ad out is farting in the wind. Giving set food to the homeless after a shoot is actually illegal in some cities (someone got sick once, and sued a crew for donating their leftovers).

McDonalds trashes hundreds of burgers for a single shot of a patty – and it all goes in the trash.

Kudos to a creative shoot.

14. fas June 4, 2011 at 7:19 am #

Awesome videos. Really amazing, well shot.

15. Cory June 4, 2011 at 10:04 am #

Made me very hungry, so I would have to say it was effective!

16. David G. June 4, 2011 at 7:26 pm #

I wish I’d have been able to eat all that after! Yum.

17. Christian Held June 5, 2011 at 6:54 am #

Hey this made me hungry. I’ve got most of the ingredients at home so had a nice breakkie as we call it here in Scotland. Was quite tempted to try that myself but gave up on it as my camera isn’t shooting that slow :(

18. Elis W. Alves June 6, 2011 at 11:56 am #

Awesome! Beautiful video! :)

19. Ness B June 7, 2011 at 8:59 am #

Thanks for sharing!!! now to throw my coffee this sunday and capture it…

20. Kristen June 7, 2011 at 12:47 pm #

ok, you guys are having too much fun. the music really makes this vid.

21. Mark Blundell June 12, 2011 at 6:58 am #

Awesome work – looks like a lot of fun, apart from the eggs at the end!

22. gus June 27, 2011 at 12:28 pm #

To those who leave comments about the waste of $80 of breakfast ingredients : I imagine you are likely to have a digital camera as you’re viewing this website. If you truly, from the bottom of your heart, feel that dissapointed about the video footage, you will take your beloved camera, sell it on ebay, post the link to the auction on this website, and forward the money to a charity that actually gives a sh1t about poor people and does something about it. No? Didnt think so. “All of us are experts at practicing virtue at a distance. ~Theodore M. Hesburgh”

23. Erasmo Stough December 22, 2012 at 4:40 pm #

Thanks for the splendid article

24. Ignacio Gregoire January 4, 2013 at 3:09 pm #

This is just not the formerly of your reports I’ve discern, and you only never end to impress me personally. Show gratitude anybody, and i also glare advance to studying inside future.

25. Sigrid Belfort February 14, 2013 at 5:08 am #

This is a sunny reorganization, I was wondering if I possibly will manipulate this write-up on my website, I will bond it back to your website though. Proviso this is a problem entertain assent to me know and I will assume it along non-discriminatory away

26. Fleta October 19, 2014 at 9:33 am #

Hello, this weekend is fastidious in support of me, since this point in time i am reading this impressive informative paragraph here at my residence.

27. pay day loans uk? December 8, 2014 at 9:24 pm #

If you need a more convenient path to finding the best property finance loan deals,
    you don’t have to buy 10 tabloids from over the US, evaluate billboards in order to they go beyond fashion and also call radio stations
    asking for the particular timetable regarding advertisements.

28. fitbit force battery replacement December 14, 2014 at 11:50 am #

This app is a complete guide in building the perfect body.

Once you have created a fitness routine that you are comfortable
    with, mix it up a little. So, people need something simple, easy to adopt, and
    effective way to get and keep a slim, healthy body.

1. Some thoughts on video content | LifeSans - June 12, 2011

[...] too. There are posts where the video cotent is 100% integral to the post’s intent – like this one from Chase Jarvis. These posts, I’ll pause music for, and be actively engaged with, and [...]

2. Breakfast Interrupted | Coffee on the Patio - September 12, 2011

[...] Lovely but a little creepy if you live in earthquake country. If you want to see how the video was made photographer Chase Jarvis has the behind the scenes video. [...]