Stop Trying To Get Everyone To Like Your Work

When I talk to photographers and survey the industry landscape, I see a zillion photographers trying to have all their work liked by all the people. This comes from our social animal DNA, but it’s the completely wrong approach to success – whether that be measured by your work being licensed, sold, etc, or by getting hired, shown, talked about, displayed, whatever.

Simply said, by trying to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one, especially not yourself.

But fear not (or fear less, perhaps). The answer is simple.

1. Shoot what you love.
2. Pimp that work.
3. Repeat.

People can smell whether you love what you’re shooting or not, love what you’re pimping or not, love what you’re doing or not. So you might as well effing love it for real. It’s all you’ve got.

So quit with your shifty eyes, looking at what everybody else is doing. And do your own shiznit. Yes this means you. If you’re work is priced…… appropriately, be it fine art, commercial, editorial, wedding, whatever, all you need is 10-50 people each year to dig what you make. That’ll come from doing what you love, and that will make for a great year. Of all the damn people you have access to with the innernets, there are 50 people with money who like what you do. Of the 1000 or 10,000,000 who look at your site, your book, your whatever, those “likers” can be a pretty low percentage. Bet on it.

146 Responses to Stop Trying To Get Everyone To Like Your Work

1. Scott Webb June 7, 2011 at 10:39 am #

BOOMSHAKALAKA! Loving it!

• Kbbmarch June 7, 2011 at 11:22 am #

I’m glad we can ‘Like’ this :D

• Shawn June 16, 2011 at 12:16 pm #

I actually meditated on that roughly a year ago, no wait, it has to be shortly after you posted the 100 picture challenge, that was a long time ago.

That’s when I didn’t care anymore what people thought. I was more into finding the coolest angle or the neat reflections. Dude you’ve taught me so much. Thanks!

• WAO July 28, 2011 at 2:01 pm #

In art, like in fields alike, you really cannot expect people to favor your style. Some prefer Modern Art and others- Classic. It’s just like in other aspect of life. Even politicians who have more than sixty percent votes are considered popular!

• Marco Denzer March 23, 2014 at 11:44 am #

It’s greatly rewarding to hear others comment on my work and say something like “your work is very honest… it seems to come from gut instinct”. I try to stick with that. My challenge is to find a way to monetize that.

2. Danny Postawa June 7, 2011 at 10:41 am #

Well said, Chase. Im partially guilty for this, thanks for the slap back into reality and truth. :)

3. JSturr June 7, 2011 at 10:43 am #

Word.

4. Venura Herath June 7, 2011 at 10:45 am #

Totally!
    But damn, I am doing it over and over again! :|
    This post is like a nice reminder !
    Thanks Chase!

5. Theon June 7, 2011 at 10:45 am #

Love the “pimping” analogy.

6. Stephanie June 7, 2011 at 10:47 am #

Thanks for keeping it real. And “shiznit” – okay have to “borrow” that one…

7. Roy Rivera June 7, 2011 at 10:47 am #

Word up. So true man.

8. Fran Efless June 7, 2011 at 10:48 am #

Are you trying to write the photographers how to live?
    Great post, again.

9. Manoftheworld June 7, 2011 at 10:49 am #

i dont make pictures.. and i like it. Thanks for the advice

10. Bluestill June 7, 2011 at 10:50 am #

Chase dude you are a maniac. I knew somebody was going to eventually say it. And I knew that someone would be you LOL. Quote me on this. “I might not ever get rich, but I know ALL my work will be in attendance at my funeral because it is my love-child,. I love it, and it love me, and nothing else matter”. Excellent pointers you made in this short post sir.

• Bluestill June 7, 2011 at 11:39 am #

By the way, I don’t have a FAN PAGE yet, so to like my style you will have to meet me up close and personal where we can exchange ideas, talk about what’s on the burners and where I am trying to go with my photography or why I did something a particular way. One day I’ll have a FAN PAGE… or maybe not.

11. SirSherwoood June 7, 2011 at 10:50 am #

Thanks Chase. Really good advice.

12. nikky June 7, 2011 at 10:50 am #

but ::

“Trying To Get Everyone To Like Your Work” = “Pimp Your Work”
    n’est pas?

if not, how not?

• Chase June 7, 2011 at 2:12 pm #

key is be proud of what you make, pimp or share that, just don’t get hung up on the “everybody” part. that’s the crucial difference. YOU gotta like it, and then the other “right” people will like it too.

13. Yusuf Gunawan June 7, 2011 at 10:54 am #

Yes Sir!! Thank you for sharing. Great advise. Love it

14. Nate Perkes June 7, 2011 at 10:54 am #

Good freakin’ night, AMEN! This is awesome.

15. Paul Underhill June 7, 2011 at 10:56 am #

Well said =o)

16. Bo Boswell June 7, 2011 at 10:57 am #

While I agree with this to an extent, part of “pimping” your work is putting it out there and hoping people like it. It’s part of taking pride in your work and hopefully using that feedback to continually improve your work.

I hope I’m not misunderstanding your meaning.

17. Elal | The Shades of Grey June 7, 2011 at 10:57 am #

Exactly. Very well said. If you love what you’re doing people will notice it rather than convincing them that they’re worth looking. Hence, let your pictures do the talking! \m/

18. Jesus Hidalgo June 7, 2011 at 10:58 am #

Boom!

19. Trudy June 7, 2011 at 10:59 am #

Yes. That’s all I have to say. LOL. YES.

20. Steve June 7, 2011 at 11:00 am #

Dang… Jarvis be snappin on some peeps. For good reason though. Do what you love. The rest will follow…. but it may take a while so have some patience.

21. Heather June 7, 2011 at 11:01 am #

Wow, Chase, I was just rethinking the whole Facebook thing, wondering about all these photographers that like my business page, etc. I was just thinking before facebook, other photographers wouldn’t be sticking their heads into my studio to see what I was doing every day… why we all looking at what others are doing, why the need for people to “like” our work? HUmmmm?

I was actually hoping to attract clients with my Facebook page, not other photographers checking out what I am doing next or what I have done…. just trying to do what I love and make a bit of cash doing it. Thanks for the advice. Can I photograph with you some day :o )

Sincerely
    Heather

• Bluestill June 7, 2011 at 11:29 am #

I once read an article by a well known fashion photographer that if you are going to shoot fashion, only concentrate on shoot fashion. I thought to myself “does that make me a photographer or a fashionographer”. I want to be a photographer. I look at others work for inspiration. Not to copy anyone else style, but to never stop learning. Don’t worry Heather, if I can’t figure out how you did it, I’ll send you a message to meet me at Starbucks so I can learn from you :-)

• Heather June 8, 2011 at 3:55 am #

lol, I love Starbucks :o )

22. Shannon June 7, 2011 at 11:04 am #

100% agree. Keep on keepin’ on!

23. Ben June 7, 2011 at 11:07 am #

Thank u Chase, u made my day !

Greetings from Hannover/Germany,
    Ben

24. Sergiu June 7, 2011 at 11:18 am #

guilty.

25. Shannon Daly June 7, 2011 at 11:18 am #

Chase,

This is a great article! I 100% agree. I follow other photographers to show support for them. And 9 times out of 10. We have totally different styles, different levels of experience, and all that good stuff. But I hope with my support for them, they will become more successful, and in turn, I will as well…. In some Cosmic way.

I think the Facebook “Like” pages were a great Idea in the beginning. But I probably have more photographers and other artists on my page than actual non-photographers. And I am OK with that. We network, and if someone can’t work with someone, we refer them to one of the other photographers.. And some might not be OK with that.. But I am. I get a lot of people asking me to photograph their baby.. And I am just so uncomfortable with that. So I hand them over to some of my friends who do wonderful work with babies.. Everyone is happy.

And if people love my work or not.. I do not care.. Because I love my work!

Thank you for the inspiring article!

Shannon Daly

26. Amanda June 7, 2011 at 11:22 am #

Well said, however, people “liking” my fb gets me the majority of my jobs. So I happily ask, and seal with a kiss, the request for people to “like”, and pimp me there. Other places,…twitter, flickr, my blog, and even my website, I just show off what makes me happy and expect nothing in return (although an occasional “ego boost” is always nice). Never would have thought that FB would be where most of my work comes from, but, I won’t argue as it’s paying my bills. ;)

27. Scott Wyden Kivowitz June 7, 2011 at 11:30 am #

Well said!

28. SimonGman June 7, 2011 at 11:31 am #

Excellent post Chase, so true!!!

29. Edward (m) June 7, 2011 at 11:32 am #

Totally agree with the above statement.One added note to many of those “newer” photographers who post their work and ask for opinions on the work,but can’t handle the constructive criticism or the holes being poked in their ego.Quit being a” facebook attention whore”.Like the author of this post brings up, your work should stand on its own, not just influenced by the 1000′s of “friends” who would not know good composition even if it slapped them in the face.

30. Dan June 7, 2011 at 11:35 am #

This definitely hit a spot with me and came at just the right time for me…thanks Chase :)

31. JT June 7, 2011 at 11:50 am #

Surely pimping your work is the same thing as getting people to Like it???!

Massive contradiction surely?

32. Jeff Colburn June 7, 2011 at 11:50 am #

Amen. I was out of the commercial photography business for a few years because all of my Nikon bodies and lenses were destroyed by heat during a move to Arizona in a heatwave.

When I replaced my gear I decided to do the kind of photography I wanted. I now shoot Fine Art and stock images instead of the commercial work I had been doing. This allowed me to do the kind of shooting I loved, and not have the stresses of commercial assignments.

I like nothing more than taking my gear into the desert or forest and capturing the beauty and power of nature. Besides shooting the pretty things, I’m one of those crazy photographers who shoots forest fires, lightning, tornadoes and other forces of nature. I love it.

Have Fun,
    Jeff

33. Sid Ceaser June 7, 2011 at 11:51 am #

Inspiration in three minutes or less.

(p.s. – please tell this to the hundreds of shooters in my area that will shoot everything and anything, but in reality are shooting *nothing*)

Cheers,
    Sid

34. Michael Brian June 7, 2011 at 11:54 am #

A-Frickin’-Men… I appreciate these words of yours today, most especially for having the balls to say it!! Thank you

35. Marina Dzhumaeva June 7, 2011 at 11:54 am #

thank you so much for this post Chase! this is the kind of encouragement i needed.

36. diala chinedu June 7, 2011 at 11:56 am #

Thanks Chase :-)

37. Jeremy Jeziorski June 7, 2011 at 12:14 pm #

Just the right advice at just the right time… Thanks for all you do, CJ & crew.

38. Mark Gallagher June 7, 2011 at 12:22 pm #

Thanks Chase, the words I needed to hear.

39. Danijel Šivinjski June 7, 2011 at 12:28 pm #

I had a big problem with numbers and stats… I was counting every single view on Flickr, like on my Facebook fan page and follower on Twitter. After some time I’ve asked myself “Why are you doing that?”. Then I focused on creating, doing photography, making art. Now I’m feeling much better doing what I love. You are damn right, just do your own shiznit.

YOUR POST REMINDED ME ABOUT SOME THINGS, THANK YOU CHASE!

40. Alma June 7, 2011 at 12:35 pm #

Hi! I just want to say that i agree with you. I think that you shall shot what you like, and not care what people think about it. BUT, it feels very good (at least for me) to here positive words about my work, it makes me wanna take more pictures. I don’t change my way of my photography, but i think it is good to launch yourself, not just sit and wait to someone say something good. Have a nice day! (sorry for my english)

41. Denise June 7, 2011 at 12:39 pm #

Thanks Chase!!! Exactly what I needed today!

42. Lonnie Dawkins June 7, 2011 at 12:48 pm #

Thanks for confirming what I truly believe. That’s why I stay away from wedding photography etc. that I have no passion for.

43. Elis W. Alves June 7, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

so true, so true, so true. Thanks for the reminder… it’s hard when it’s not a whole lot of people buying your stuff yet… Thanks for helping me stick to the right course ! :c)

44. Larissa June 7, 2011 at 1:13 pm #

AMEN !!!!!

45. Brian June 7, 2011 at 1:14 pm #

well said Chase! very inspiring post! thanks

46. DanielKphoto June 7, 2011 at 1:29 pm #

Not bad Chase! Thanks :)

47. NWX June 7, 2011 at 1:33 pm #

Ahhh. Yes.

48. Rachel Tatem June 7, 2011 at 1:42 pm #

Thanks for the encouragement! So often I’ll cave for money but you are right: focus on your love!

49. fourlegsgood June 7, 2011 at 1:47 pm #

True, true, true, true. And for those who are confused between the difference between “pimping” your work and not caring about what people think, I believe he’s saying don’t second guess yourself on what you love to do based on what other people think you ought to be doing.

Do what you love, be proud of it, tell people about it.

50. Rusty June 7, 2011 at 2:00 pm #

So true man!!! I’m kinda guilty on this one.

51. Jen June 7, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

So true! Not only for photographers – but for anyone working in a creative medium in my opinion.

52. gordon June 7, 2011 at 4:07 pm #

I completely agree. If people don’t like your work they won’t hire you or show you so focus on people who get you and then run with it.

53. Gary June 7, 2011 at 4:12 pm #

Truth spoken. Thanks Chase.

54. Milton Tan June 7, 2011 at 5:16 pm #

Amen.

55. Rob Hanson June 7, 2011 at 5:53 pm #

Instant Like/Fave. Well done! Keep ‘em coming!

;^))

56. Me June 7, 2011 at 6:06 pm #

No more truer words have been spoken!

57. MinivanDan June 7, 2011 at 7:38 pm #

Guilty as charged. I’ve become so sensitive to my pages “likes” and insights. BUT, I can also say that I have started to realize what I want to do, and am pursuing just that. I have done a few weddings and kinda liked the stress and hustle to make the amazing images that make ‘em go “ooh and aah” but found my main veins fix. It’s often hard for me to display the “I’m loving what I’m doing” vibe when the perfectionist in me seems frustrated when I’m making adjustments to what I’m doing. OCD’s a bitch. Thank you for this reality check that has gone straight to the bank. Sorry, but I “liked” your post. It’s a disease…

58. Norman June 7, 2011 at 8:02 pm #

Well said Chase..totally agree

59. Ted Vieira June 7, 2011 at 9:30 pm #

Well said, Chase! I prescribe this way of thinking to all of my web development clients. Focus on what you love; what you’re awesome at. Spread that message. Don’t try to be all things to all people.

60. Jaycup June 7, 2011 at 10:05 pm #

message from GOD..!!!

61. Katrin June 7, 2011 at 11:07 pm #

That is so true! :)

62. Andy June 8, 2011 at 12:31 am #

Boom! True. Also, helps to be as good at shooting what you love as you are. But I know, that’s not your point.

63. rix weber June 8, 2011 at 2:03 am #

I undersign here in agreement, Case!

64. tristanography June 8, 2011 at 3:17 am #

i need to start liking my work myself before i can expect anybody else to like it.

65. Luke June 8, 2011 at 3:19 am #

Love it, Chase.

66. EM June 8, 2011 at 5:20 am #

What a great article – and so timely – at least for me. I am just beginning to realize that I have been doing exactly what you’re talking about, and as a result, my love and passion for photography has suffered from it. I don’t make my living with photography – I started doing it on the side because I enjoyed it so much. But before I knew it, I was accepting every kind of job that came my way, including weddings! I recently decided to stop pursuing photography jobs that I don’t enjoy because, quite frankly, it shows in my work. When I enjoy what I’m photographing I can come up with some pretty good stuff, but when I don’t, its pretty mediocre and it eats away at my self-confidence. Go figure, eh?

Anyway, thank you for vocalizing something that I have been struggling with and providing me with some validation that the changes that I am making with my approach to photography are exactly the right thing to do.

67. fas June 8, 2011 at 7:51 am #

and one day they will like what they see.!

68. Nate Geslin June 8, 2011 at 8:09 am #

it’s so simple, yet so difficult.

The greats were never that great when they were making great things. It isn’t until everybody catches up that they see the greatness that was there all along.

69. TimR June 8, 2011 at 8:33 am #

Amen to that.

70. Mike Kalibabky June 8, 2011 at 9:08 am #

Also, I’m always surprised what others enjoy in photos I’ve taken; stuff I’d consider “throwaways.” And that’s why we love taking photos.

71. CallumW June 8, 2011 at 9:17 am #

While I agree that 10-50 people with wallets are all you need, where do you find them … or them you?

I think that’s where the network of 1,000-10,000,000 other people liking and referring/recommending your work can come in handy :)

I don’t disagree with what you’re saying tho – do what you love and you’ll get hired to do it. That’s why it’s worth having a section for personal work in a portfolio :)

CW

72. Rob June 8, 2011 at 9:43 am #

Yup!

73. Will Austin June 8, 2011 at 10:48 am #

Love it, so true!

74. Scott Frederick June 8, 2011 at 11:52 am #

Words from the wise. A true artist doesn’t care what “everybody” thinks! :)

75. Derek Comer June 8, 2011 at 12:26 pm #

i have been taking photos since i was 11 “Zenith E Camera”, not even the EM,couldnt afford that one. Im 47 now and People have always ask me “what do you shoot?” and i always ans the same PHOTOS, i dont have a Genrie “thinks thats spelt wrong” but you know what i mean, i just love taking photos, weather its a football match, babys, flowers, the wife anything, and if i like it,, GREAT its my camera lol. great Blog and webight by theway

76. Ryan Watkins June 8, 2011 at 2:35 pm #

Great post! Thanks:)!

77. John David Tupper June 8, 2011 at 6:02 pm #

I agree. Take pictures you love to see and show off. Why photograph what everyone else is doing or the current trend to make a buck. If your doing that your always late on the trend and never photographing what truly inspires you. Look at your work… Like what you see? Or do you have lots of half arsed shots of crap? Why the hell not? It’s your work. We are creative first and for-most to feed our soul, F everything else and do it.

The sentiment that feels pimpin’ your work is the same as getting people to like it is totally off. Pimpin’ your work is to get it in front of other people, Essentially asking them to spend some time to look. The more “pimpin’” the more people see your work the more chance of both haters and lovers of your vision. The lover’s are those that will pay to do what you love to do as they can’t hire someone else to have your vision. Your vision is unique to you.

78. bimal nair June 9, 2011 at 3:46 am #

Super like!!! What a saying Chase! You still are the best motivator i know….simply superb! thanks for sharing the thoughts! I totally dig your comment “all you need is 10-50 people each year to dig what you make. That’ll come from doing what you love, and that will make for a great year.” I will hang on to this….this entire year! :) Thankyou Chase!
    tons of love!

79. Sean H Choe June 9, 2011 at 7:27 am #

Spot on Chase, really respect your opinion. Keep up the awesome work and keep the jewels of wisdom coming!

80. JAY June 9, 2011 at 10:31 am #

Hi Chase,

Off topic, but I hope you can answer a question: do you use “protective” filters on your lenses? I have heard so many different opinions on this one… I personally am scared to scratch my lenses so I put on UV filters, just for protection. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

81. c.d.embrey June 9, 2011 at 6:11 pm #

About thirty years ago I worked on a VW Rabbit commercial. The spokesman was Reggie Jackson. After hitting the ball out of the park, he turns to the camera and says: “I drive a VW Rabbit because the only person I have to impress is me”

Words to live by then, and still true today.

82. Mark Ivkovic June 10, 2011 at 7:14 am #

Ha, so very true. I wrote a blog post “Lacking Originality” a week or so ago after reading a DuChemin rant on a similar topic. The post went kinda crazy and a good debate ensued on artistic originality and such. Some people are out there creating truly original and interesting stuff, plus they don’t give much of a crap who likes it. I’d agree though that a lot of people need to stop trying to photograph what they think people want to see (ie. the crap that seems to make Flickr explore etc etc. puppy dogs, cats and rainbows) and start making photographs which actually express something personal to themselves.
    I think a lot of folk are starting to speak out in this manner, probably a backlash against the tech driven photography community at the moment. We need to get back to the craft and the image, screw the equipment.

83. Rachel Owens June 10, 2011 at 12:18 pm #

So needed to hear that today. Thanks. I’ve really been struggling with this! Just have to find a way to stop caring about what everyone thinks and start shooing what I know will work – for me. Thanks again.

84. David Lunt June 10, 2011 at 3:42 pm #

Chase, I have been saying this for a while. I KNOW that it is one of the keys to success. I have yet to devlop my own distint style. I am still somewhat new at this and busy trying out different styles/techniques to see what I like best. But I find that some of my most talked about shots are the ones I did for myself and pretty much said “screw it, I don’t care if everyone hates this” and then did some off the wall technique. You are right. It is in our DNA to try an please everyone all the time. It’s learning how to let go of that which is the tricky part!

85. Gabriel Lavalle June 10, 2011 at 7:52 pm #

This sage advice goes far beyond one medium. It goes to the core of everything. Very zen.

86. Jay Rodriguez June 12, 2011 at 12:15 am #

BOOYA!

87. Luis June 12, 2011 at 6:49 am #

lov it!!!!!

88. Christian Held June 13, 2011 at 6:08 am #

Yeah I made the mistake when I started and virtually was shattered if someone didn’t like my picture. And after some time I realised that taking pictures (as many as I can) is the best way to improve.

and as I’m not a pro I shoot for myself and try my luck with microstock. I need a lot more photos and I take critique on board but that won’t stop me from being passionate about photography! So I think this post could be a wake up call if someone is in this phase where he/she thinks it sucks to take pictures!

89. Diogo Atadini June 13, 2011 at 6:53 am #

Simple as that…

Nice one Jarvis!

DA

90. Mark French June 14, 2011 at 10:31 am #

This isn’t to say that there isn’t a universally agreed upon standard of work. If you absolutely love indistinguishable images covered in fuchsia papyrus lettering then there’s a problem and you need to improve your taste. Excellent photography comes out of a pursuit of personal standard. If you are completely satisfied with your end product then you’ve reached creative stagnation.
    For me the love is in the growth of my ability to closer produce what is in my head. That creative gap between what I want to produce and what I do produce, though, is the driving force for my own creativity. I’m trying to get ME to like my work. That’s my pursuit; that’s my bar.

• Dave P June 15, 2011 at 9:00 am #

I think it was first Bill Cosby, some 40odd years ago who said: “I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.” It still rings true today.

91. Joris Kalma June 17, 2011 at 4:10 am #

I totally agree with this.

92. Alex June 17, 2011 at 9:42 pm #

I think doing the type of work you like to do, in the long run, is the only real viable option. Otherwise, you’ll go insane.

93. may lemon June 19, 2011 at 8:10 am #

Exactly! Most of photographers just want the social glam and somehow self deluding themselves.

94. Edward June 20, 2011 at 9:23 am #

Well said Chase!

95. Mindy June 23, 2011 at 11:10 am #

thanks chase, I needed that. You say it like it is! I do love what I photograph (dogs), and that’s all that matters!
    I’m subscribing to you!

96. franc zalez June 23, 2011 at 10:04 pm #

I am a self taught photographer and love it with a passion. I find myself at times thinking, should I go to art school and learn photography? is it to convince others that I can actually create art? who makes that call? My passion for capturing simple life has made me a n art junky. Thank you chase!!!

97. Nisur Beton June 24, 2011 at 12:01 am #

I cannot say how much I agree about it. The fact is that in real life sometimes people tend to back your side and some times they don’t. You cannot expect that everyone will love you.

98. WillieDash June 26, 2011 at 10:43 pm #

GOD bless you all!!!

99. Mario Beauregard June 30, 2011 at 11:06 am #

I agree 100%!! When I stopped shooting like” I was supposed too” and started shooting like I wanted too, my images improved ten fold. Great article keep it up!!!

100. Joann July 6, 2011 at 11:22 pm #

Wow- pimp yourself?? I always called it whore ‘in.
    But, I am a Texas girl.
    You know, I believe, if you keep it in your soul,
    and your true to it, than anyday you
    can make your art.
    Peace

101. Danie Nel July 11, 2011 at 1:05 am #

What I’m realising is that it’s more important for people to like YOU than your work. It actually does well in business too.

• Chase Jarvis July 11, 2011 at 10:09 am #

gotta like the work to get hired. that’s the get in the door fee. liking YOU helps separate you from the rest AFTER they like your work

102. Danie Nel July 11, 2011 at 1:06 am #

OH, and it is hellavu ironic that more than 2000 people have already like this, Chase.

103. Andreas Roksvaag July 11, 2011 at 3:58 am #

True words Chase!

104. Concrete July 28, 2011 at 1:54 pm #

Like in politics- not all cases can resolve in “Win-Win” situations. Our clients are mostly satisfied but there are few who spoil…
    Better take care of your business and do what you do with joy, satisfaction and sincere care. The rest should come along.

105. Pradeep August 31, 2011 at 2:13 pm #

Always always shoot for yourself!

106. Tonx September 1, 2011 at 8:17 am #

It was great to read this! I have to say since I started trying to sell my work my interest in photography has waned. I`m very new to photography and the deeper emotional side related to creativity is fascinating, and is vital to success for those who want to love what they do.

Thanks Chase!

107. Dave Wilson September 8, 2011 at 10:21 am #

Chase, you express part of the problem right in your post here. “Priced….appropiately” I have no idea what’s appropriate. I lost shooting for a restaurant I think because I didn’t price appropriately. How do I know if $140 an hour is a good rate? Maybe I should have gone with a flat rate of $5000 for the whole job? How do I know what to charge? If only someone out there would talk about this aspect of things, but people rarely do, and when they do, they’re so vague about details.

108. arie September 24, 2011 at 12:53 am #

you really cannot expect people to favor your style

109. Nap Beltran September 24, 2011 at 4:42 pm #

I got to this website by accident, and it sure is a good find. Photographers sometimes measure their success with the number of “likes” they get for their images and missing the bigger picture which is as the author said, “shoot what you love”. Definitely something to share on our community for photographers.

110. LusterNYC September 30, 2011 at 1:50 pm #

1. Shoot what you love.
    2. Pimp that work.
    3. Repeat.
    4.Agreed

111. shra1 October 3, 2011 at 4:21 am #

:D :D
    i agree… ;)

:D :D

112. Shraddha Rathi October 5, 2011 at 1:39 am #

Wonderfully expressed…nice work !

113. Shami Photos October 22, 2011 at 1:25 pm #

Yeps it is right.

114. Michael March 22, 2014 at 11:30 am #

Great message, thanks.

I heard an interviewed band member once say that they would rather perform for 10 fans than 1000 people who don’t know why they are there.

115. Gavin March 22, 2014 at 11:36 am #

It’s like you are a mind reader. Really needed to hear that.

116. DaCosta March 22, 2014 at 7:54 pm #

My sentiments exactly! If I spent all my time worrying about people liking/not liking my work, I’d never shoot a picture!

117. Girish March 22, 2014 at 9:22 pm #

I needed that hit on the head this week, thanks :)

118. AJ Schroetlin April 21, 2014 at 9:10 pm #

Word!

1. Photo of the week #014 | NauPhotos Blog - June 8, 2011

[...] saw one article “STOP TRYING TO GET EVERYONE TO LIKE YOUR WORK” have to say I been doing it to much lately and that is so true that you cant please everyone [...]

2. Tip Thursday: « Joel Lim /// Shutterd Pictures - June 9, 2011

[...] the rest of his very striking and poignant post here — Lastly, David duChermin probably still in his venting mood but a really good point to [...]

3. More on Sony A77 & NEX-7, Oversized Lenses on Ultra-Compacts and Shoot What You Love | DailyCameraRumors - June 10, 2011

[...] Wait no, we better conclude with Chase Jarvis’ Stop Trying to Get Everyone to Like Your Work. [...]

4. break melody » More on Sony A77 & NEX-7, Oversized Lenses on Ultra-Compacts and Shoot What You Love - June 10, 2011

5. Chase Jarvis and the Dasein Project | The Sajin - June 14, 2011

[...] me in that sort of harsh/truthful but much needed way. One of his current posts entitled ”Stop Trying to Get Everyone to Like Your Work” really hit home for [...]

6. Required Reading — Luke Copping Photography - Blog - June 17, 2011

[...] Stop Trying To Get Everyone to Like You is a wonderfully intelligent piece by Chase Jarvis on not trying to please every single possible [...]

7. Resources to Further Your Creativity « Nina Miceli - July 15, 2011

[...] Stop Trying to Get Everyone to Like Your Work – “By trying to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one, especially not yourself.” [...]

8. Resources for Creativity « Nina Miceli - July 15, 2011

9. Vivian Maier » Camera Bits Blog - July 22, 2011

[...] when unseen until after her death, it adds an extra element of power. Chase Jarvis recently wrote a post about how important it is to focus on what you love, rather than what you think others will like. [...]

10. Matthew Coughlin :: Portrait Photographer » It Doesn’t Matter – A Creative Talk - August 18, 2011

[...] Here is the link to the Chase Jarvis blog post. I have it hanging next to my computers. You must read this!http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2011/06/stop-trying-to-get-everyone-to-like-your-work/ [...]

11. Film noir serie | InkGals - September 9, 2011

[...] you don't like them cause I like them and that's all it's about You can read the full post here blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2011/06/stop-trying-to-get-ever… Share this:FacebookRedditEmail Filed under: Girls Leave a comment Comments (0) Trackbacks (0) [...]

12. …Jay Kenology… » Shoot, Pimp, Repeat - September 14, 2011

[...] process seems like something I should have known already but it took a Chase Jarvis blog for it to really hit home for me. The point of Chases blog post was to explain how to get people to [...]

13. The Woodlands Senior Photographer » Friday Foto Tip :: Pimp It, Y’all - March 23, 2012

[...] writes a great blog post about this subject.  You should read it.  He says good stuff there.  All about, you know [...]

14. bookmarks — volume 3, issue 2 | my name is not matt - April 2, 2014