5 Crucial Tips To Get Your Photo Busine$$ Books in Order

I learned over time that as photographers, filmmakers and independent artists, we’re also entrepreneurs running our own small businesses. Since I’m not all that business minded I’ve had learn as much as I can while surrounding myself with smart biz-oriented people who can help. Enter stage left Mara, our on-staff accountant. Going forward, I’ve got a goal that she will be able to shed a lot of light on the $$ and business side of things that so many photogs need help with… She’ll be tag-teaming on these business posts with our Executive Producer Kate. Feel free to ask them questions and suggest new topics… In the meantime, take it away here Mara on some crucial bookkeeping tips…
——

By now you should have long ago finalized any financial reporting for the prior year and sent your taxes to the IRS. This time of year is usually an accounting calm, but don’t be fooled (or lazy). I‘m consistently reminded of how much easier the year-end process is when you plan ahead and keep good records. Now’s the time to… make a few plans for how much better than last year your business agenda is going to be. I know bookkeeping is a tedious aspect of your business, nobody really wants to sort receipts and pay bills, but by paying a little more attention to it you can save huge time (and money) in the end. If you’re just starting out or if your a seasoned pro, here’s some tips on getting your books in order:

1.     Know which registrations and business licenses you need in order to conduct business in your state and city. Many state and city websites have a useful section of their website devoted to walking a new business through the registration process. If you have more questions, I’ve had great experience with the customer service staff at most state and city offices, so don’t be afraid to give them a call. Be sure you also research whether you need to collect sales taxes on your products and services.

2.     You need to have a separate business checking account
and use it for your business income and expenses as much as possible. When you eliminate sorting through your grocery and shoe purchases looking for your business expenses, recording those items is a lot easier and you’ll be less likely to miss legitimate deductions on your tax return. And if any other party (banks, accountants, auditors) ever have a need to look at your business bank statements, you can keep your personal charges to yourself.

3.     Find some software to help you out. I love QuickBooks and am constantly amazed by its capabilities for its reasonable price tag. If jumping into QuickBooks seems a little scary, I suggest finding a local bookkeeper to walk you through the software and help you set it up for your business. Those will be a couple of well spent hours. Alternatives to QuickBooks include a variety of online solutions such as Kashoo, WorkingPoint, FreshBooks, and Xero. I don’t have experience with any of these online products, so if you do, please share in the comments below how they work for you.

4.     Organize and save the receipts for your business income and expenses. I hope that none of you are ever audited by the IRS, but even if you avoid that letter in the mail, remember that they aren’t the only government agency to conduct audits.  Over the years, I’ve worked with auditors from Washington state looking at the reporting of sales tax, excise tax, payroll taxes, and the classification of independent contractors vs employees.  If your paperwork is organized, it not only speeds up the audit, but it gives a favorable impression to the auditor, which never hurts!  Your receipts and other paperwork can be stored either on paper or electronically.

5.     Get into a routine with your bookkeeping. If you keep up on your paperwork weekly, it becomes a small task rather than a scary project lurking on the corner of your desk.  When you’re up to date on recording your income and expenses, you also have the benefit of seeing in real time how your business is performing financially.

Good luck on your financial resolutions!

stamp bags says:

If you want to buy a-pvp then the best way
to get them is to order them from an online store.
Due to which American pharmacies sell drugs at costly prices.
Lipitor pravachol, pravachol lipitor as well as lipitor zetia just about all fit in with the course associated with medications
known as statins that is accustomed to decrease the amount
of cholesterol.

Right here is the perfect website for anyone who really wants to understand this topic.
You know so much its almost tough to argue with you (not that I really will
need to…HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a subject which has been discussed for decades.
Wonderful stuff, just wonderful!

bonnaroo says:

Hi there, its nice piece of writing about media print, we all know media is a impressive source of facts.

Hi my family member! I wish to say that this post is amazing,
great written annd include approximately all signififant infos.
I’d like to peer extra possts like this .

Yet, you need to seek out a good software program which can unlock the iPhone 4.

In addition, it lets you change lock display, the
icons, background, font and much more. It’s easy to replace the SIM
cards for you iPhone.

Latanya says:

Gods Rush has two currencies Gold and Gems, you can get both from the in-app buy.

This is probably probably the most sophisticated and powerfull hack
software program you’ll be able to receive for Gods Rush in the interim so don`t hesitate,
click on the purple button from under and procure our Gods Rush Chewt codes to yur
lapotop proper now!

You should be a part of a contest for one of the greatest blogs on the net.
I will highly recommend this site!

Debora says:

Should you anticipate hiring a web designer plus an SEO exert on your site, ensure
you you don’t buy something that has already been completed.

Online driveris training refresher lessons may
help folks overcome the bad driving haits they’ve picked uup with time.

In case you have just about any concerns regarding in which and
how to use bracelets with beads ( you can e-mail us
on the site. Jewellery is something its worn with different types
of outfits. Above all, these bracelets match perfectly with any outfit women wears and hence the craze for sterling silver bracelets is increasing day by day among the women of all classes.
The diamond can also be produced synthetically in the
process that simulates earth high pressure and temperature.
For women and men of the decade, silver earrings among other types of jewellery is very popular.
It is too early to assess the effect of future wide availability
of gem-quality synthetic diamonds on the diamond market, although the traditional diamond industry
has already taken steps to try to create a distinction between diamonds dug from the ground
and diamonds made in a factory, in part by downplaying the fact that
diamonds from both sources are actually visually identical.
is far more interesting than sterling silver studs
and plain chains. TFTE: Tell me about the relationship you have with clients.

Rather they can go for colourful jewellery made by using beads.

This unique feature of hallmarking the stones makes it easy to distinguish a real diamond
from a fake one.

Robbie says:

Һi!,I love ƴour writing so ɑ lot! proportion we
keep up a correspondence mοre about your post on АOL?
I require a specialist on this house to resolve my problem.

May be that’s you! Having a look forward to see
you.

A attorney allows businesses in creating the business’ organization or a legal framework.

St. Louis says:

If the unfortunate occur, choosing a car wreck attorney could be the ideal solution to assure perfect outcome for your household aas well as you personally.

Tyres on automobiles and light-commercial autos
(LCVs) cause a tough lifestyle, carrying hundreds or doing multiple drops, usually in tough operating conditions.

Loreen says:

I signed up with Greatest Website SEO fourteen days before and Iam currntly around the FIRST page for numerous keywords.

Sin embargo, en uuna trampa también puede llegar a ser
la amante de uun hombre que le está siendo infiel a su pareja.|la experiencia humana qque la inhalación de propilenglicol podía ser
Para dejar de fumar dedbe primero con la predisposición y marcarse un objetivo a aliviar la necesidad de y del cigarrillo en mano.

Georgianna says:

why ffor best washing effects it’s reqauired to examine the
label for more information, thyat is.

yeymi.com says:

If you come to recognize the consequences of not washing upholstery, will understand its significance.

Heriberto says:

Our lab has sourced and imported it.

There’s definately a great deal to learn about this subject. I really like all of the points you made.

food choose says:

If you would like to get a good deal from this piece
of writing then you have to apply such strategies to your won blog.

It’s genuinely very difficult in this active life to
listen news on TV, thus I simply use the web for that reason, and obtain the hottest information.

I am not very excellent with English but I line up this rattling easy to interpret .

The 5″ Attractive Eden Mary Janes are a fantastic option.

I loved up to you’ll obtain performed proper here. The comic strip is attractive, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an nervousness over that you want be turning in the following. sick without a doubt come more formerly again as precisely the similar just about very continuously inside case you shield this hike.

Hi there, all is going nicely here and ofcourse every one is sharing data, that’s really good,
keep up writing.

more bonuses says:

It is important click here to remember, most HVAC equipment
manufacturers. 00, while better filters with HEPA technology can be more expensive
to purchase up front, the cost of schooling.

Indeed, what comes to the best of their ability.

I just like the helpful info you provide in your articles.
I will bookmark your weblog and test once more right here frequently.

I’m quite certain I’ll be informed many new stuff proper here!
Good luck for the following!

If you would like to improve your familiarity simply keep visiting this web
site and be updated with the newest information posted here.

Reynaldo says:

Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Thank you, However I am encountering troubles with your RSS.

I don’t know why I cannot subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting the same RSS problems?

Anybody who knows the answer will you kindly respond?
Thanx!!

Great beat ! I wish to apprentice even as you amend your site, how could i subscribe for a weblog site?
The account helped me a acceptable deal. I were a little bit acquainted of this your
broadcast offered vivid transparent concept

find says:

Nice post. I be taught one thing more difficult on completely different blogs everyday. It should at all times be stimulating to read content from different writers and practice somewhat one thing from their store. I’d want to make use of some with the content on my blog whether or not you don’t mind. Natually I’ll offer you a hyperlink on your net blog. Thanks for sharing.

I do not even understand how I stopped up here, however I believed this put up
used to be good. I do not know who you’re but definitely you are
going to a famous blogger when you are not already. Cheers!

As a fellow shorty, I think we will rock the maxi skirt simply as well as anyone else.

I just like the valuable info you supply for your articles. I will bookmark your blog and check once more right here frequently. I’m rather certain I’ll be told a lot of new stuff right right here! Good luck for the next!

furniture says:

The Case For HIIT Cardio – Why You ought to Concider it… By the way you may want to have a look at this cool web site I found……

I like this website its a master peace ! Glad I detected this on google .

Dave says:

Informative article, exactly what I wawnted to find.

What i don’t understood is in truth how you’re no longer actually a lot more neatly-preferred than you may be now. You’re very intelligent. You realize thus considerably in the case of this topic, made me for my part believe it from a lot of numerous angles. Its like men and women are not involved except it¡¦s something to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your individual stuffs nice. Always handle it up!

Jerrold says:

When someokne writes aan paragraph he/she maintainss tthe idwa
oof a user in his/her mind that howw a user can bee aware oof it.

Thuss that’s why this post is great. Thanks!

Gerard says:

What’s up, I wish for tto subscrie for this wehsite to takle newwest updates, therefore where caan i ddo it
pleqse help.

Man this is so informative, I love reading about nutrition. Loved the tip riley just made. Its so difficult to find the right product for me. God knows I’ve tried! I’ve been looking now for 3 weeks! LOL Just want to let you all know I will make my goal one way or another. I promise you that! Wish me luck! :)

Great blog here! In addition your website quite a bit up extremely fast! What web host are you the use of? Can I am obtaining your affiliate hyperlink on your host? I desire my web site loaded up as rapidly as yours lol

They should know that missed calls often result in lost opportunities and lost revenue. What this does is allow businesses to channel most of their budgets into growth and expansion plans or strategies. So, these are some virtual office services with unbeatable tools.

Luis Korby says:

naturally like your website however you need to take a look at the spelling on quite a few of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling issues and I to find it very troublesome to inform the truth then again I will certainly come again again.

Elbert Tero says:

hey there and thank you for your info

According to a 2007 KPMG research, fifty five the biggewt jewellery market is the
United States with a market share off 30.eight%, Japan, India, China, and the Middle East every wigh eight-9%, and Italy with
5%. The authors of the study predict a dramatic change
in market shares by 2015, wuere the market share
of the United States will have dropped to ardound 25%, and China and India will enhance
theirs to over 13%. I love Indian jewelllery and clothes!!!!

Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to assert that I acquire actually enjoyed account your blog posts. Any way I will be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you access consistently rapidly.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on how
to. Regards

Hi Kes,If the trouble can be a username/password dilemma and you are unable to log in then I am not sure what’s wrong. I tested it a second ago and it seemed to be working fine. Could you check all over again and see if it’s ok now?

soup.io says:

Whie property prices in Canada have steadily increased since they dipped due to the recessio in 2008, there
are definitely some good deals to be found. Simply key in the types of properties you
feel will have the most rapid turnover and then search foor the bargain that
quicmly becokme a potential gold mine. It would even bbe
wise to condider group real estate investment opportunities with groups that have proven records of success,
even in this economy.

Ila says:

There are numerous advantages of wholesale real estate investing.
The properties have become a thorn in the flesh to them, and they can do anythhing to get rid of them.
I found these packages grossly over-priced and would urge others to think carefully about taking them.

Superb content. Excellent solution to help more folks. I am amazed.

Carlos Prio says:

I have been using BigBusiness for over a decade and love it!!!! I have a Mini with the server sw and we all carry the client with us that connects to the server locally or remotely. Call Spencer and tell him I sent you!!

Cheers,
Prio

Shawn Smith says:

Chase, I agree with the theme behind this post. But before I start, happy belated birthday mate (in my best Aussie accent).

I’m sure you have come across photographers (and other small business owners) who don’t really have a grip on the financial aspects of running a business. It’s a shame and terrible to hear because if this is their sole income, then at some point the house of cards will tumble over – see my last point for trying to negate this.

Separate accounts for personal and business – a must for any company owner. This will avoid all the issues, as you have mentioned, of the personal and business costs being mixed up which then leads to re-working the numbers to balance. A headache we all could do without.

One item that is close to my heart is the reporting tools – or ‘accounting’ software. Being a Mac friendly studio, many years ago there wasn’t really anything great to use. So about 2 years ago I decided that we needed to move to something more flexible and easier to use – and Xero was the answer. I won’t bore you with all the details here, but if you are interested, I have written about them extensively. I pinpointed the reasons for the change. (http://bpho.to/qrX6RL)

I’d also go one step beyond the bookkeeper and suggest get yourself the ‘best’ accountant you can afford. It will pay for itself eventually. Bookkeepers are good, however, getting yourself a good system (both technology and business processors) will usually prevent an overpaid data entry person.

David Lunt says:

Thanks Chase! Those are great points and motivation! Happy Birthday as well!

David Lunt

Bek says:

This is great. Thanks Mara.

Aaron Wulf says:

A banker gave me a good tip a few months ago:

She said to have one business checking account for your payables and one for your receivables. So when you get paid, it goes into the receivables account, and when you need to pay people, it comes out of your payables account.

This not only keeps your books extra clean, but it also prevents someone from being able to fraudulently wipe out your entire business account, which she stated was an increasing issue. And even if the bank protects you from this type of fraud, it is often days before the money gets put back into your account. That can be crippling when your business has no money to function during that time.

Aaron

fas says:

Does not this vary with the location your set in?

Dwayne says:

Thanks a lot Chase and Mara for writing this up. FreshBooks seems to be very straight forward and I plan to start using it. I was actually writing my own invoices and keeping track of them myself. It sometimes got very unorganized. I’m going to check out get harvest and freshbooks for sure.

Dwayne

CallumW says:

I’ve used LightBlue Software for a couple of years.

Awesome studio software that manages shoots, schedules, customer details, billing/expenses and accounting reports to pass to your accountant (and loads more features).

Really useful video ‘how-to’ tutorials too :)

I was put onto them from a photographer friend.
So in the spirit of “pass it forward”…. :)

Review below:

CW

Gavin Jowitt says:

I’ve switched to saasu.com for accounts. Of all the cloud based systems it seems to handle quoting the best. The key benefit with cloud based is you can stay up-to-date with your accounts and even quote using just your iPad or iPhone. I also use Evernote for document storage… all paperwork is scanned and emailed directly to Evernote (including warranty info for equipment). Again, it ensures you can access everything no matter where in the world you are.

Brian Smith says:

There’s a few good cloud-based business management systems out there. My personal favorite is PayPanther. It handles my CRM, billing and invoicing, and project management. I think it has some more features, but those are the ones that I use the most. It’s been so helpful, saving me time and money that makes the few bucks/month completely worth it. If anyone needs a good business management software for their photography or video business, I’d recommend giving PayPanther a look.

G Allard says:

Great post, Mara. Thanks for sharing.

A couple of notes from my experience: FreshBooks is a great service with a lot of really useful tools. I like the ease of use and the full capability to organize estimates, invoices and budget all from one place. Worth looking into for anyone that doesn’t already have a system set up.
On biz organization: I recently closed my S-Corp status due to high overhead in tax prep and California fees. I did the math a found that a simple sole proprietorship is the way to go for me now. The S-Corp was overkill so now I use the extra money for better liability coverage on shoots.

Graffight says:

put google+ link on these :o)

Accounting……. :-p yuck but it is something we all have to deal with on some level.

#3
I’m an avid user of Quickbooks. It really simplifies my accounting tasks. You can even back up your books to MobileMe in one click. Which is a good idea to keep a back up record of your financials off site…. just in case.

BTW there is an update for Quickbooks in preparation for Apple’s OS Lion.

Cheers!

For accounting software, I’d suggest Harvest (http://www.getharvest.com/) I used Quickbooks for quite a few years, and did the free trial on Freshbooks, but after using Harvest it just felt right and seemed to really have an understanding about the needs of creatives. Quickbooks is awesome, but may be overkill for most people. Harvest lacks a P.O. system, but their customer support(who are awesome btw) mentioned it’s on their list, so I’m sure it will come soon enough.

Andrew says:

So awesome Chase, thanks for being willing to share the business end of creative work. It’s such an important piece that few talk about….

Andrew

Brent Rust says:

What about when you work out of your home city and/or state? How do you account for taxes in those situations?

Will says:

I would talk with a local accountant, they’ll tell you about all the rules and regs. Keep in mind you may be able to deduct a home office, if done correctly (ie. see an accountant!).

fotomate.pl says:

Local book keeping might be the best idea

Lars says:

6) Consider outsourcing it to an accountant. Does the work faster, better and more efficiently (do you really think that you, as a photographer, know every quirk and loophole in the tax system?). And it takes accounting away from you, time which you can use doing stuff you are good in: photography. Get a quote from an accountant and consider it….

Chase says:

Yeah Lars. I should have added that. Definitely seek professional accounting help if you can remotely afford it. The money you save and the protection that advice provides is almost always worth more that the front loaded costs…