New Era, Start-to-Finish Evolution of a Music Video Project

Beautiful music vid here performed by Seattle hip hop pals Macklemore (@macklemore) & Ryan Lewis (@ryanlewismusic) and shot by emerging Seattle filmmaker friend Zia Mohajerjasbi (@DrZia)

You think this video emerged fully formed outta these guys’ brains? Hell no. It’s all a process. Usually, this process is not well chronicled. But in the case of this video, we get to see some special insights. Not just the ‘making of’ but the whole process of how this project came together in the new era of filmmaking… Hit ‘continue reading’ below to see…

1) raw video of the first time this song was performed more than 2 years ago (at my studio actually!)
2) video of Macklmore, Ryan, and Zia asking for fan support via Kickstarter
4) and finally a few behind the scenes videos showing how they made it..

Follow the progression…

First time “Wings” (was called ‘Air Jordans’ back then…) was performed at my studio via our Songs For Eating & Drinking project more than 2 years ago… A song whose lyrics were still taking shape, scratched out on scraps of paper. I learned that sometime that evening Zia told Macklemore he’d love to make a video for that track if the song ever evolved…

Here’s Macklemore, Ryan, and Zia asking for your support on Kickstarter…

And finally, here’s 3 behind the scenes videos showing some of the cooler shots…

IMHO, this is a great chronicle of the new era of making stuff in the world. Raw artistry, is put out into the world. Feedback and collaboration result. Fans and friends help support the making of this art. Great work gets made and shared, and the recipe of how it was all pulled off is given back to the world for consumption, edification, and repetition.

Onward & upward.

[And and overall, big ups to my Seattle homies. Congrats on a kick ass video AND thanks for sharing with us the evolution of the art.]

40 Responses to New Era, Start-to-Finish Evolution of a Music Video Project

1. joey July 22, 2011 at 11:10 am #

MAcklemore and ryan lewis are sick. if you like that song check out the track “otherside”

2. Isaac Norris July 22, 2011 at 11:12 am #

This is a great post. I loved the first performance of the song and I watched the full music video last and it did not disappoint. You seem to always have great behind the scenes posts. Very informative and helpful. Thanks for posting this.

3. Lainer July 22, 2011 at 11:34 am #

I think that whole gangster talk is also part of the American Brand that needs to be taken off, and discarded. It’s a mask just like the products that people wear. Take off the fake gangster accent, and the Nikes, along with the Mercedes, or other material possessions that we are brainwashed to think we need or must have in order to be someone. Why can’t people use their real voices and not these adapted thug voices. I’d rather see someone wear a pair of Nike sneakers than listen to someone speak like a thug. I agree that material possessions don’t define you, but the voice and language you use does give a lasting impression.

I like the message in the video on the peer pressure of fitting in, though using slang language is also part of that. “Just sayin.’”

4. Philip Rawson July 22, 2011 at 11:58 am #

This was such an enjoyable post, Chase. Excellent music, and a very touching story of the BTS for this music vid. Thank you for sharing!

5. Matthew G. Monroe July 22, 2011 at 12:15 pm #

Chase: The final video is great — simply beautiful — but watching how the ideas and concepts behind the video progressed is absolutely fascinating. Please, please, please give us more of these “idea development” posts on your blog. The insight that they provide into the creative process is as valuable (or more so) than any classroom learning that’s out there.

Matt

6. Sjoerd July 22, 2011 at 12:59 pm #

Inspiring post, great to see where collaboration can lead to

7. Chris Gibson July 22, 2011 at 2:44 pm #

Great post! Im not a big fan of rap but wow, these lyrics have a serious meaning to them! I would definably download this! And a fantastic video! Great post well done!

8. Marcin Wuu July 22, 2011 at 3:26 pm #

Nice song, but not so much of a revelation – So a pair of Air Maxes will make you a great basketball player? They could’ve make it a song about any “cool” product – an Apple computer will make you a great designer. A full frame Nikon will make you a great photographer (actually, scratch that – A full frame Leica is what it takes to be a great photographer these days)…
    The production looks great though – except for the part with the fake DOF – that made me cringe a bit…

• Alistair July 23, 2011 at 3:41 am #

Is this a troll or are you being serious?

9. Cipriano Panzarella July 22, 2011 at 9:25 pm #

Dude’s legit….good work guys

10. Alistair July 23, 2011 at 3:39 am #

Chase can you fix your inbeded videos? The full screen button seems to always be missing. Cheers

11. fas July 23, 2011 at 5:11 am #

That is alot of effort put in there and people thought its easy!

12. zenracer July 23, 2011 at 10:08 am #

It has a nice dynamic soul v sole. The question is which wins out.

13. Aaron Wulf - Become A Photographer July 23, 2011 at 9:41 pm #

Loved the video! It brought back memories of my first pair of Air Jordans. I couldn’t touch the basketball net back then, and I still can’t today. =)

Thanks for sharing the behind-the-scenes footage, as well. It’s so interesting to see what actually goes into pulling off a shoot like this. Very informative, Chase!

14. Laurent Egli July 24, 2011 at 11:06 pm #

Nice! What is your view on the Arri Alexa? I’m waiting for the one we ordered months ago but still didn’t have the chance to get my hands on it. The behind the scenes shots are great. It’s always nice to peak at what others use to light and get great new ideas. Thanks for the post Chase.

15. Danie Nel July 25, 2011 at 1:09 am #

Halleluyah! Gorgeous video, and amazing song and message. Well done. Wow.

Oh, and Chase, nice post ,thanx :)

16. Freddy Oropeza July 25, 2011 at 9:27 am #

Nice progression, loved the music, the video, and the making of. Thanks for bringing some more cool, new, and inspirational material to our attention.
    Also, in this age of digital goodness, and instant gratification, is a good reminder that work this good doesn’t happen from one day to the next, lots of work, love, and labor go in it.

Thanks!

17. Nicolae Cioloca July 25, 2011 at 10:05 am #

Looks like a really great and really long commercial.
    The lyrics are very strong though. And the emotions are very strong too.

Can`t help it, looks somehow like its so sponsored… Or they are trying to get sponsored. I think I would do it too ;-)

Would I make a product placement like that to expose my material to the world? Hell yeah!

That could be a new niche…

Kind regards, Nico

18. James July 25, 2011 at 12:25 pm #

Respect man. You must have considered the impact of anti-consumerist message of the music that seems to focus on people who may even be your clients? Hell, in some ways I guess this message is about images we make selling product and lifestyle. It’s interesting. Thanks for blogging it.

19. Darryl Gregory July 25, 2011 at 7:16 pm #

Well these are shot beautifully, lyrics and concept (Shoes) not my cup of tea.
    Artist seems real, just needs better lyrics.

For those of you who think honest opinions are trolls trolling, Trolls could say
    those of you who can not comment honestly are simply blind followers of the masses and have no real opinion, you just post kindly so to be a part of something you can not create yourself.

20. Brian Feulner July 27, 2011 at 12:56 pm #

Thanks for working hard on getting in-depth posts about the process of these vids and the creators insights that are out there. It’s really important for visual, audio creatives to become a community and your blog is helping build that more and more. Even cooler that your keeping an eye on the locals!

21. DanielKphoto August 1, 2011 at 1:41 am #

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing chase :)

22. Chris Nemes August 2, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

The video looks great and I always enjoy behind the scenes clips.
    Is it me or does Macklemore look like Vin Diesel? :D

23. www.afpcc.org June 7, 2013 at 8:20 am #

Hello, just wanted to tell you, I loved this blog post. It was inspiring. Keep on posting!

24. Rolando Aquirre July 30, 2014 at 2:30 am #

maybe my letters are heading to Steve C!

25. Olin Shockley August 12, 2014 at 12:54 am #

This is a really good tip especially to those new to the blogosphere. Brief but very accurate info

26. www August 18, 2014 at 12:36 pm #

I really like reading through a post that can make men and women think. Also, thank you for allowing for me to comment!

27. Terrell August 19, 2014 at 9:01 am #

I really appreciate the point of view offered here.

28. Link exchange is nothing else except it is simply placing the other person’s website link on your
    page at suitable place and other person will also do similar in favor of you.

29. italian basket plastic dog muzzle August 23, 2014 at 9:02 pm #

Hiya, I’m really glad I’ve found this information. Nowadays bloggers publish only about gossips and web and this is actually irritating. A good website with exciting content, this is what I need. Thanks for keeping this web site, I’ll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can’t find it.

30. Walizkisklep.pl August 25, 2014 at 9:24 pm #

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own blog and was curious what all is needed to get set up? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I’m not very web smart so I’m not 100% sure. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Appreciate it

31. grooming tools for dogs August 29, 2014 at 7:46 am #

Great post and right to the point. I don’t know if this is in fact the best place to ask but do you folks have any thoughts on where to get some professional writers? Thank you :)

32. url September 4, 2014 at 6:32 am #

This website is known as a walk-by way of for all of the information you wanted about this and didn

33. steam cleaning carpets September 5, 2014 at 6:50 am #

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself? Plz reply back as I

34. best vitamin c serum September 15, 2014 at 2:31 pm #

Thanks for your post. One other thing is when you are selling your property yourself, one of the troubles you need to be conscious of upfront is when to deal with home inspection records. As a FSBO vendor, the key concerning successfully switching your property plus saving money in real estate agent profits is understanding. The more you already know, the more stable your sales effort will probably be. One area where by this is particularly crucial is inspection reports.

35. eyes lash lengthenings here in metro September 18, 2014 at 8:52 am #

Sweet site, super design and style, really clean and use pleasant.

36. home distillers for sale September 18, 2014 at 4:22 pm #

you’re really a good webmaster. The web site loading velocity is amazing. It sort of feels that you are doing any unique trick. In addition, The contents are masterwork. you’ve performed a excellent process in this topic!

1. The evolution of art: Wings | RAW - July 27, 2011

[...] always something of interest happening on his blog so today when I saw this post titled “New Era Start to Finish Evolution of a Music Video Project” I had to check it out. I know this is mainly a photography blog and with the new cameras the [...]

2. New Zealand trip 2009 video « Rob Li Photography blog - August 22, 2011

[...] process that has occurred here reminds me of a post Chase Jarvis wrote recently here, excerpt below (emphasis [...]

3. Special Chase Jarvis LIVE on Wed Oct 26th - Photo Plus/Live Audience Teaser | Chase Jarvis Blog - October 21, 2011

[...] Wednesday, October 26 is the amazing MACKLEMORE with DJ Ryan Lewis (we went behind the scenes on a recent music vid with them here…). They’re perhaps the fastest rising hiphop act in the country, recently packing the [...]