Amazing Hurricane Irene Image: Holy Sh*t — Batten down the hatches.

Hurricane Irene

700 miles wide and growing, threat level EXTREME. This photograph from NASA is just mind blowing.
Was supposed to be in NYC this coming week, but all that got cancelled. Keeping all you east-coasters top of mind this weekend–our thoughts are with you.

32 Responses to Amazing Hurricane Irene Image: Holy Sh*t — Batten down the hatches.

1. Nathan Smith August 26, 2011 at 12:20 pm #

I have friends and family on the Outer Banks of NC right in the path of this thing. Hoping they fair well from it. I spent around 25 years living there and went through a handful of hurricanes and it is a scary deal, especially when you are on a island (read sandbar). That is one of the main reasons I moved to Oregon.

2. Sam August 26, 2011 at 1:17 pm #

this might just be me but for some reason that pic is not that scary. also the media has been inflating the danger that Irene actually poses. yeah New York may flood but we’ve known for over a century that it could easily flood. although I do hope that nothing really bad happens.

• JacK S. August 26, 2011 at 5:44 pm #

Most likely (as mentioned) on the news, it will die down and the strength of Irene won’t be as powerful. But to play it safe, evacuations is the best thing for one day.

3. Sam Figueroa August 26, 2011 at 1:28 pm #

I guess you won’t be joking about this one with lawn chairs :)

I’ve got a lot of family in harms way. I hope they all get through this unscathed.

4. michael murphy August 26, 2011 at 6:26 pm #

have a shoot tomorrow, just in time before it hits hard. wish me luck in philly!

5. jetgreen1 August 26, 2011 at 11:15 pm #

Always a media premature ejaculation!

6. Ben Reed August 27, 2011 at 1:24 am #

It’s mighty beautiful from outer space but it’s not so pretty when you are from the Outer Banks of NC. Praying for everyone back home.

7. fas August 27, 2011 at 5:55 am #

Does anyone except NASA do space photography?

8. Max August 27, 2011 at 10:44 am #

Yep, arrived in NYC a couple of days ago and the weather was so nice yesterday that it’s hard to believe that things will go haywire…
    Subway now being shut down completely and people mandatorily evacuated of high risk zones, it feels surreal, we’re still waiting to see what happens later today or tomorrow…

that’s for sure a historical moment, if only just for the impact it has on people’s minds. There were long lines of people going to do last minute shopping to buy water and basic food in order to hold over the week end.

9. Thom Gourley August 27, 2011 at 1:42 pm #

Suddenly, I feel very small.

10. David G. August 27, 2011 at 4:18 pm #

Wow, that’s a rather large cloud formation there! It also looks like 2 smaller ones could be forming out in the middle as well? It’s also amazing that all the buildings on earth don’t seem to change the colour of the world very much. It’s still just green and blue.

11. Andrew Segreti August 27, 2011 at 6:25 pm #

I am in Greenpoint BK right now hunkering down and getting some work done. So many photos to edit, and a great big storm to do it with. As intense as this is going to be we had a lot of warning and time to prep. now it’s time to pray the power stays up and when it does, then its Never Ending Story Time by flash light.

Can anyone recommend some great photo books to read? Yes, I do mean read and not just look at.

12. jake scott August 27, 2011 at 11:06 pm #

glad it aint me again was in texas close to gulf where ike hit

13. black gucci dress shoes September 8, 2011 at 1:10 am #

very nice information, i would surely come again, thanks

14. Vallie Koshiol January 3, 2013 at 7:37 am #

Wow that was extraordinary. I in simple terms wrote an fantastically extensive say however later than I clicked submit my observe didn’t present awake. Grrrr… effectively I am not writing all that ended another time. At any rate, in basic terms wished to declare brilliant blog!

15. Loise Bottone January 4, 2013 at 2:57 pm #

Useful in sequence. Fortunate me I bare your web site by misfortune, and I’m flabbergasted why this accident didn’t took categorize earlier! I bookmarked it.

16. Sheldon Epple January 5, 2013 at 9:18 am #

Nice wordpress blog here.. It’s grueling to explore not on anticyclone class inscription like yours these days. I actually appreciate folks like you! engage care

17. Erasmo Stough January 6, 2013 at 4:32 pm #

Some genuinely safe all along with beneficial in order by this locate, moreover Clothed in my opinion the fashion contains superb features.

18. Hwa Pickel January 21, 2013 at 1:59 pm #

19. Dante Galaz May 26, 2013 at 2:58 am #

This is actually a pretty useful chemistry internet site.

20. Rana Quagliato May 27, 2013 at 2:36 pm #

Just wondering, before I consider subscribing… is this an actual, individually composed letter to each individual subscriber, or does each writer compose a single letter every single week and send the same composition to all in the subscribers they’re assigned to write to?

21. computer mouse June 9, 2013 at 2:32 am #

One important issue is that when you’re searching for a student loan you may find that you will need a co-signer. There are many situations where this is correct because you should find that you do not possess a past credit standing so the loan company will require that you have someone cosign the credit for you. Good post.

22. party bus rentals in chicago June 9, 2013 at 9:36 am #

Fantastic pizza right here in Las Vegas. Settebello’s, two Grimaldi’s outposts, Due Forni, Broadway Pizza near downtown, among quite a few choices.

23. party bus wedding in chicago June 9, 2013 at 9:36 am #

43 a long time back he had 50% chance of surviving, yesterday he died.

24. chicago limousine bus June 9, 2013 at 9:54 am #

Oh this can be fall perfection at its finest! A actually cozy vignette.

25. click June 10, 2013 at 8:50 am #

I’ve located a great deal of very fantastic content material on your internet website. I’ll undoubtedly be back again for lots a lot more.

26. click here June 10, 2013 at 8:51 am #

Excellent website here! Also your web-site loads up extremely fast! What host are you applying? Can I get your affiliate backlink to your host? I want my web site loaded up as fast as yours lol

27. Stacey Sugar June 18, 2013 at 6:11 pm #

I recently discovered the post and possess been studying together. I ought to show our enjoy of your generating expertise together with power to assist to create readers go via correct from the commence on the conclusion. I’ve to examine newer articles and to share our thoughts together with you.

28. Alexander Sill June 19, 2013 at 12:50 pm #

I seriously liked piece of article, great job. I feel I’ll be reemerging here more often to view there are any new posts!

29. map applications for android June 19, 2013 at 1:16 pm #

I needed details relating to this on Aol and ran into your write-up. I found it nice and clear. Cheers

30. Seattle Chiropractic Neck Pain June 22, 2013 at 9:05 pm #

My brother suggested that I visit this web site. The recommendation was totally on target. This post actually made my day. You can not imagine how much time I spent searching for this info. Thanks!

31. san diego wedding photographers June 25, 2013 at 8:51 pm #

Can I just say what a relief to uncover someone who really knows what they’re talking about on the net. You definitely know how to bring a problem to light and make it important. A lot more people must check this out and understand this side of your story. I was surprised that you’re not more popular given that you most certainly have the gift.