Spilling the Beans: Polaroid 50 | 50 | 50 Art Exhibition

If you know anything about me, you know that creating multi-disciplinary, socially enabled art AND getting unlikely people together into one community are really important tenets to my career and my life.

It’s with that in mind that I’m today spilling the beans to you about a project on which I’ve quietly been building for the past couple months in collaboration with my friends at Polaroid. It’s a group art show called 50 | 50 | 50, and the concept is simple, but–I think–very cool…

50+ Artists from a HUGE variety of disciplines…

given 50+ Polaroid printers…

to create 50+ pieces of work for a gallery show to be sold at auction for charity.

THE PROJECT.
The Made in Polaroid 50 | 50 | 50 Art Exhibition & Benefit Auction, is a group art show where 50+ select artists have come together to illuminate the creative possibilities when the same challenge–create art with a single device–is undertaken by range of artists from a variety of creative backgrounds. With no other limits. From single images, to multi-printed mosaics, to photographic sculptures, and hacked printers “performing” live, the project is as much about the creative process and a new era of creative spirit as much as it is about any resulting image or piece of art.

To highlight this, we’ve brought together an eclectic mix of some important & influential artists of our time–along with some select, emerging talent–from the disciplines of photography, filmmakers, graffiti & street art, painting, fashion design, performance artists, actors, and more. Names like:

_Mark Seliger (photographer – more than 125 covers for Rolling Stone)
    _Philip-Lorca DiCorcia (photographer – credited with staged ‘fictional’ approach to creating photos – before him it was all journalism).
    _James Franco (Actor, director, author, painter, & performer- star of Spider-Man trilogy)
    _Hush (graffiti artist/toy designer)
    _Eine (graffiti artist – partner in crime with legendary Banksy) i
    _Marylin Minter (Painter – A Whitney Biennial artist along, SFMOMA and more)
    _Rob Pruitt (late 80′s art legend as half of the art team Pruitt-Early)
    _Gary Baseman (illustrator blurring the lines between toys & fine art)

and many many more…

…So it’s yours truly, plus the above list, plus more than 30 other art stars that I’ll continue to reveal, share and introduce over the next 2 weeks via my Twitter, Facebook, and Google+ feeds (using hashtag #505050). Some art world celebrities and some epic new names that your art-brain needs to know. We’re all getting together in the name of making on-demand art; we’re all using the same simple Polaroid GL10; and we’re all hoping to get your help in spreading awareness to raise as much money as possible for Free Arts NYC, the beneficiary of this project.

The show will be on display and open to the public at the legendary Phillips de Pury & Company gallery space at 450 15th Street, NYC from Wednesday Sept. 7th – Wednesday Sept 13th only, and will culminate in an artist reception and live benefit auction on that Wednesday the 14th at 450 Park Avenue. Details forthcoming. So in bullet points…

Who’s invited: YOU
Who’s on display: me & 49 other artists
What: Multi-disciplinary group art show
Where: Phillips de Pury & Company, NYC (450 WEST 15th Street)
When: September 7th – 13th
Why: make a statement on the role of imagery, artist constraints, and diversity in our culture. Oh and to raise a bunch of money for charity.

If you’re in/around NYC that week – please stop by. If you’re not, I’d be humbly grateful if you’d stay tuned-in and help us spread the world. I’ll be shouting out more info as this gets closer with the hope of introducing you and your community to some amazing creative talent.

WANT TO SEE WHAT I MADE FOR THE SHOW?
I’d be lying if I didn’t say I’m VERY pumped up with what I’ve created for this show. Wanted to share it with you here in a play by play. First the piece, then how I made it, complete with photos.

Chase Jarvis :: "Celebrity #1" for #505050 show

Dimensions: 68 inches x 81 inches
Materials: 300 image photographic mosaic printed using Polaroid GL10 on Zink Paper, mounted on museum board

Here’s how it was made….

First, we took a photograph of an anonymous “celebrity” model from my archives and, using Photoshop, reduced that huge image to 300 pixels.

Next, we took the color value of each one of those pixels and went out and physically shot original macro images of actual makeup that closely matched those color values, which we tweaked to perfectly match the correct color value.

Then, using a meticulous gridding process, we assigned those photos to a corresponding “pixel” in the mosaic, and printed each one of those pixels as it’s own unique print using the GL10 Instant Mobile Printer.

We then assembled the “pixels”, using acid free adhesive on museum matte board according to our printout to create the final image–approximately 6’ by 7’ finished piece.

Then we had that sucker crated and sent off to be framed and delivered to Phillips de Pury & Company. Very stoked.

[FWIW, this is a first in a large series of pieces that I’m creating in this vein. Much more discussion on this topic, and these types of pieces, in the future.]

For now, thanks for indulging me. Hope you dig it. If you have any questions about my process, I’m happy to answer them below. The piece is called Celebrity #1, so you can surmise your own meaning behind it for now. In the meantime, you can be assured that there are several other mind blowing pieces from my contemporaries in this show. I’ll be proud to be hanging next to them in the exhibition and at benefit auction on September 14th. I hope you’ll help spread the word about the show–perhaps even come see it in NYC in a couple weeks.

Check out the Polaroid Tumblr to see the final pieces from my fellow artists as they are announced and check out Polaroid.com/505050 for more details.

#MadRespect to you and yours.

39 Responses to Spilling the Beans: Polaroid 50 | 50 | 50 Art Exhibition

1. Jasmine* August 30, 2011 at 10:05 am #

Sick. So, so sick!!! :)

• David G. September 1, 2011 at 9:29 am #

Are you working on this project Jasmine*?

2. Chase August 30, 2011 at 10:47 am #

thanks J*. I hope we can raise some serious $$ for free arts nyc.

I’ll keep you in the loop ;)

3. hs August 30, 2011 at 10:50 am #

address correction please! you said 450 15th st in nyc

is that east or west?

thanks!

• Chase August 30, 2011 at 11:03 am #

ah. thanks for the tip – will fix in the body of the post.

its WEST 15th.

cj

4. JGraham August 30, 2011 at 10:58 am #

Inspiring work as usually Chase. Thanks for sharing.

I was wondering what method you used to pixelate the portrait?

• Chase August 30, 2011 at 11:03 am #

just used image size in photoshop… and instead of inches or cm, just used pixels. that will aggregate all of the colors into an interpolation at the right number of pixels…

• JGraham August 30, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

Oh ok. Thanks.

5. Jessica Schmitt August 30, 2011 at 11:35 am #

This looks amazing! I can’t wait to see the show!

6. Lori August 30, 2011 at 12:03 pm #

Another incredible project, Chase! Can’t wait to check it out! Any update on what’s happening w/ Dasein: An invitation to Hang?

• Chase August 30, 2011 at 12:09 pm #

DASEIN: got a feeling that dasien’s going huge. fingers crossed. it’s under review from several museaums in NYC that have inquired about growing, expanding and hosting the next evolution. more info when i know whats up.

• Lori August 30, 2011 at 12:33 pm #

That’s so exciting, Chase!! I’m really looking forward to seeing where it goes. Will you be coming to NY for any of this upcoming show? For the auction??

• Chase August 30, 2011 at 12:57 pm #

yes – will be in town for the artist reception and auction. can’t wait!

7. Kathleen Smith August 30, 2011 at 12:04 pm #

Wow! :)

8. Laura August 30, 2011 at 12:37 pm #

This looks like an amazing event, and I love the meticulousness of Celebrity #1. Excited to see more!

9. Philipp Ulrich August 30, 2011 at 1:05 pm #

Really liking your piece and the project’s concept. Your dedication to art is just incredible, keep it up Chase!

10. Dave Moser August 30, 2011 at 1:36 pm #

take THAT, mr chuck close!

11. Abhi August 30, 2011 at 2:30 pm #

Is this kind of a project where in you are trying R&D in color? :)

12. Daniel Cormier August 30, 2011 at 2:39 pm #

Hey Chase, in the 4th picture from the bottom, is that covered object against the wall behind you a grill?

13. Chris Cookley August 30, 2011 at 4:26 pm #

This sounds like a fantastic project Chase. Do you think this project would have been more difficult (not to say it wasn’t difficult now, I have no idea how difficult it was for you) to get organized prior to these social media means of communication we have available now?

• Chase August 30, 2011 at 6:15 pm #

not harder to put together, but more difficult to socialize for sure!

14. fas August 31, 2011 at 5:26 am #

So much hardwork goes into and we feel its so easy and can be done so easily.

15. Kevin E August 31, 2011 at 7:24 am #

I think I’m seeing another NYC art party time… .if only I could be there.
    Well done brother.

16. Jeremy Jeziorski August 31, 2011 at 1:02 pm #

Fantastic idea – and love “Celebrity #1″

17. Angela August 31, 2011 at 2:43 pm #

Absolutely amazing process and product!

18. David G. September 1, 2011 at 9:30 am #

Looks cool Chase!

19. Mina September 13, 2011 at 5:32 am #

So many people tell you the “what” but leave out the “how” — I appreciate the spirit of sharing. Great post Chase.

BTW, you forgot to include me in the list of fabulous artists to watch, ;)

20. Elis Alves October 18, 2011 at 1:24 pm #

Wow Chase! Simply LOVED watching the process! :c) GREAT work! And the result is beautiful and very creative! Thanks again for letting us in your mind as you create another stunning work! :c)

21. Tammy August 31, 2014 at 7:15 am #

Hmm is anyone else encountering problems with the images on this
    blog loading? I’m trying to find out if its a problem on my end or
    if it’s the blog. Any feed-back would be greatly appreciated.

22. personal injury voir dire questions September 23, 2014 at 10:19 am #

Wow! Finally I got a weblog from where I know how to genuinely get
    useful facts regarding my study and knowledge.

23. Bridget October 8, 2014 at 11:46 pm #

It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d without a doubt donate to this fantastic
    blog! I suppose for now i’ll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to
    my Google account. I look forward to fresh updates and will talk about this blog with my Facebook group.
    Chat soon!

24. Russel October 11, 2014 at 4:06 am #

Why users still make use of to read news papers when in this technological globe all is presented
    on net?

1. Made in Polaroid | Illustration Friday - September 2, 2011

[...] is honoring its founder Dr. Edwin Land’s passion for the arts with the launch of the Made in Polaroid exhibit. An art show featuring more than 50 pieces created by a mix of artists, designers, [...]

2. Polaroid 50-50-50 Art Show: Final list of Artists and How to Get Involved | Chase Jarvis Blog - September 12, 2011

[...] weeks ago I announced a labor of love collaboration project (plus some behind the scenes photos…) that’s been underway for the past few months. [...]

3. Polaroid 505050 WrapUp: How 50 Artists Raised More than $125,000 for Charity | Chase Jarvis Blog - October 13, 2011

[...] the group fine art show I was bubbling about in September? I intro’d it here, updated the project here. In short, 50 fellow artists — some of the worlds best known [...]

4. Made in Polaroid « Stack Exchange CHAOS Blog - November 22, 2011

[...] called “Made in Polaroid,” and I found out about it from reading Chase Jarvis’ blog. (He’s an awesome photographer, definitely check him out.) His blog chronicled the process of [...]