Commitment To Your Work = Taking An Entire Year To Make a Single Image

Want to know about commitment to your art? Think you have what it takes? Listen up.

For the last 40 years, Sam Abell has worked as a documentary photographer, primarily for National Geographic. In this video interview for the Atlantic (created by Alex Hoyt & Ross McDermott), Sam recounts his year-long quest to find the perfect image for a story.

No excuses about modern timelines, budgets, or any of that. When was the last time you hunted for an image, a clip, a specific shot for a year?

Didn’t think so. Confession = me neither. #Inspiring

The most important part of my system is the landlord and tenant, with the help of online
public liability insurance mode. Curbed has renderings of what
the property will look like it was never public
liability insurance previously inhabited. This discounted rate could go
for a completely managed service are there. The reason for this is
that public liability insurance only a few years of the mortgage payment amount.
Whilst not a multi-millionaire selling my
next great book I can give you proper idea about the property.

There are different types of web hosting and programs to choose from,
but you need to make an ecommerce while shopping for office supplies.
He was a Puritan and was determined to find out who can help you clinch the best deal possible.
Alternative London Christmas healthcare 5010
wiki MarketsShoppers seeking more unusual gifts for friends and family.

Zak says:

There is an aerial image I have been trying to get for the better part of 4 years that I have yet to capture just how I want…someday soon I hope!

Thanks for being inspirational…

Nick Hurst says:

Fatastic video, I’m a patient guy and even I will admit it takes an exceeding amount of patience to create a decent time lapse video. It’s something I’ve not achieved. Great post Chase

arunima vj says:

great job..! n inspiring yeah

Charlie says:

My favorite post in a while Chase :) Thanks.

Marcus says:

I usually do it the other way round: I take about a thousand pictures until I make a good one. That is also dedication. ;-)

Andy says:

“Friend, please slow down”

Andy says:

Wow, talk about serendipity!

The living bison walking into the scene at exactly the right moment, in exactly the right pose, at the perfect spot in the composition, is a testament to the fact that God has a way of getting personally involved at that level of commitment. A fitting tribute to Charles Russel as well. He would have definitely understood and appreciated the honor, sacrifice and commitment that went into that moment. I can’t help wondering if in some supernatural, God ordained way, that living bison was the embodiment of Charle’s passion for telling the story of that majestic creature, and that majestic era, standing in for one final frame.

kombizz says:

What an amazing article.
Thank you for sharing.

Daf says:

Nice story
Alas I’m not at the point of searching for “THE photo” yet.
I think before that you/we need to find a story or a narrative – and I’m not there yet – still doing little (seemingly insignificant) bits and pieces – I need to find or should I say MAKE time to sit down, clear my head and think of a project I want to work on.

fas says:

Really unbelievable, that is dedication on to a whole new level.

Dennis Pike says:

welll, I’m a pussy.

Amanda says:

amazing! very inspiring.

Patrick says:

Great interview.

Inspiring stuff from a guy who produces some stunning images.

“I took 25,000 pictures and only 8 are in here.” (at 10:15)

If a professional National Geographic photographer with waaay more skill than I have takes that many (film!) frames to get some great shots, why do I take so few and yet still expect excellence?

Humbling. Informative. Helpful. Thank you.

I’m having a hard time believing your “me neither” comment… I would think anyone with a bit of artistic blood who often shoots the same kind of thing has kernels in their mind of shots they want to get, ones they’re always keeping their mind’s eye out for, waiting for an opportunity and perhaps trying to manufacture one from time to time. It may not always be as concrete and conscious as in the video, but it has to be there… having them is part of the artistic experience; without them, it’s just work.

This was great. When I first decided to make photography a career 10 years ago Sam Abell was the first photographer to inspire me. I bought a National Geographic Field Guide and his Bio stood out to me the most. He talked about staying true to what he saw and using as little as possible to achieve it. I think all photographers can learn and adapt something from how Sam operates. Thanks for sharing.

Al-x says:

I thought I shot too much on location. I try different things, different angle, just knowing that I will only be happy with one or two. I just presumed that the Pro’s took one picture and it was immediatly lovely. I take solace in knowing how conservative a shooter I am in comparison…

Sean says:

I absolutely have – I have two spots in North America that I go to year after year and I have this picture in my mind that I haven’t been able to make with the camera yet. Someday the conditions may work out but not yet.

Kyle says:

Nearly as impressive was that he took 25,000 pictures to end up with the final 8! Wonder if it was the classic Kodachrome that NatGeo seems to love?

Sam Abell is one of my favorite photographers. If you liked this video you will love his National Geographic Live! interview. He talks about his book “Life of a Photograph”. Its free on itunes also. Very inspirational.

Amanda says:

will def. check it out on itunes – thanks for the info! :)

Its also free. Its in the itunes U section.

“Well…..I took these pictures. Each one of them has a story, and I’d like to tell you each one of them!” There is just something so beautiful and simple about the human experience that is shared. This made me smile for today. *Bows humbly to Mr. Jarvis* -mM

DanielKphoto says:

Very beautiful and inspiring! Thanks a lot for sharing :)

RH Alexander says:

Thanks very much for this. It not only slowed my day, but deepened an internal conversation about what we are really after as photographers…the product…a compelling photograph….or the continued, deepening experience of the creative process, with all its challenges and surprises – and how that seasons us in the best of ways. Its both, of course, but this short film, I believe, brings us back to the true foundation of photography…the creative quest, and the art of the story. Thanks again!
RH

Giant says:

I’ve been on the hunt now for the last two years waiting for the perfect West Coast storm surf shot. I haven’t even found the right beach/shore yet. I’ll keep looking.

Shawn says:

I actually stopped taking pictures because I feel like they are all the same.

I’ve been watching my son long board lately and he has such a freedom that I’ve contemplated picking up my camera again. I use my iPhone all the time still don’t get me wrong. I think it’s when I pick up the camera people pose and I’ve actually been hunting for reality.

I like that genuine smile or that look of calm on a persons face when they are basking in the sun.

Yeah this was good to read today.

Thanks as always.

Mike Russell says:

Incredible story for a great photo. I’d love to listen to him tell the stories about the other 7 photos from that article! Truly inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

Lalabongo says:

Lovely, lovely, lovely… thank you…

veyr very very good advice…

compose and wait… perhaps not a year, but pause to breath… and absorb…

Kris says:

Very inspiring, thanks for sharing.

Don Cudney says:

One of the only photographers that I know that can talk about the spirituality of photography without sounding like a artist on acid.

Abell rules.

Henry says:

I enjoyed that.

jefgibbons says:

Wow, that one moment got me choked up. Awesome.

Ollie Morris says:

Thanks for sharing Chase .. inspiring viewing. In my opinion that is what photography is about, the idea, the planning, the waiting and finally the execution. This is what separates the vast number of photographers apart.

adrian says:

VERY moving. Beautiful story!

tmophoto says:

I have been trying to get to this viewpoint for about 8 years. finally got the shot this past weekend but the conditions were less than ideal.

now i know where to get it from so i can go back when the moon is right.

Robin says:

Nice work. Even doing a well balance time lapse is in it self an accomplishment. Nice job.