Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish. The Day I Bumped Into Steve Jobs.

I once bumped into Steve Jobs and Jonathan Ive walking out the front door at the Apple Headquarters in Cupertino.

Almost literally bumped into them. I had my head buried in a text message on my iPhone.

I looked up. Mr. Ive held the door open for me as I passed through on the way in before I really knew what was up. He and Jobs passed through on the way out just behind me. I was mysteriously compelled by something and I snapped a photo of their backs as they walked away since my phone was in my hand.

Click.

“Why did I just do that?” I thought to myself embarrassingly, even though no one noticed. “Don’t be such fool, Chase…”

And just then one of his famous one-liners lept into my head.

“Stay hungry. Stay foolish.”

And so I will.

Thanks for everything Steve. You made your dent in the universe — and then some. RIP.

***UPdate: I didn’t originally post the image because I didn’t think it was relevant, but so many requests from you have changed my mind. It’s not an image whose quality I’m proud of, but that wasn’t the point. It’s my only shot of Steve. Again, RIP…

[Just stumbled on a great tribute to Jobs over at Kuo Design…101 magazine covers with Steve Jobs. Go to Kuo to see the rest…]

Korey says:

I drop a comment each and every time I like a article on a web site or if We have something to valuable to contribute for the conversation. It’s a result in the fire communicated in the publish I browsed. And after reading this write-up I used to be in fact moved enough to drop a comment here

Teroganesyan says:

Magnificent beat ! I wish to apprentice at the same time as you amend your site, how could i subscribe for a blog web site? The account aided me a applicable deal. I had been tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast offered vivid transparent idea

As a Newbie, I am continuously penetrating online for articles that can be present of assistance to me. Show gratitude you

Hi, i believe that i saw you visited my weblog so i got here to “return the prefer”.I’m trying to to find things to enhance my website!I guess its good enough to make use of a few of your ideas!!

a tremendous amount addiitional info with this sort of problem on websites, notice.

Ann Potter says:

For all your fans: you could win a brand new Kindle Fire! Show us your shutter skills by entering our contest here: fb.com/janesworksco

Thank you for sharing your experience, and the reality that every moment is a moment to be treasured.

art papers says:

One of the last photos of a Greatest person, and he’s walking away…
more than a million pf iphone5 pre-orders now.

Andrew Wood says:

Missed opportunity … Steve loved photography. It was a regular at Keeble & Shuchat in Palo Alto.

Andrew wood says:

Agh… I hate typos :)

Matt says:

This is so awesome Chase. I’d do the same exact thing. That sudden moment of excitement; I’m sure you’ll remember that forever.

Amr Tahtawi says:

That’s absolutely true and who to say this but you chase. YOU are already doing this since day one and i just wanted to say, we all appreciate it. You are the smartest artist i’ve ever seen.

Always a fan chase, always :D

His life and message has been hugely inspiring to me and I’m humbled by the reminder that life is short… being so successful didn’t give him the ability to cheat death. I think his passing will be life changing for me as I’m sure it will be for so many others. It was the kick in the rear I need to get my head out of the sand and start living.

Jeff Caven says:

A powerful photograph. The body language, composition and spontaneity are incredible. Way to go Chase!

Nice post, Chase, but a missed opportunity. I responded on my blog http://www.ohkworld.com/2011/10/07/awareness/

That post made me smile… That was a lovely story and you’re right Steve was a great influence on the world.

Hey Chase,

could you please explain your theory/philosophy behind why you think the ”quality of that photo” is something you are not proud of?
I think you are lucky for being there around his presence and you didn’t need a photo to prove it. We all hear the made guys utter, gear is not important, vision is. I think vision is the key on that photo. I mean when i first read it, I imagined a photo with 2 humans, back side, a metal or aluminum push/pull or slide door and the shot would have taken behind that door, frame within a frame type. And on the update…it’s exactly what my vision was…so please your philosophy on the ”Quality” issue. Please don’t be offended. I love your philosophy and vocabulary than your photos.

Fan.

Vinoh.

John says:

“In case you were sleeping… “Stay hungry. Stay foolish.” The day I came face to face with Steve Jobs: bit.ly/qOHnh5″

Hate to say it but I feel like this post is just a desperate attempt to get more hits on your site. I know you don’t need them but that’s how it’s coming across

I mean seriously, “The day I came face to face with Steve Jobs” Implies that there is some real substance here. There isn’t, you happened to walk past him, not surprising having been at the Apple campus.

People bump into celebs all the time and although this instance might be relevant considering the circumstance, 3 tweets to promote it definitely adds to the perceived desperation.

RIP Steve Jobs.

Interesting note:
Steve actually took the quote “Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish”, from The Whole Earth Catalog he used to read. He references it in his Stanford speech.

Berit says:

Love the post and I love that you added the photo

msholy says:

RIP Steve Jobs, even i never met him but i knew he is the best inventor that change our world.
thanks for all your years spent for us, we love you and miss you in our heart forever.

goodbye papa steve :'(

Nick says:

Dan Margulis wrote this on his blog which I think perfectly sums the man up

Steve Jobs, OTOH, was indispensable. The reason was simply stated
by Shaw: “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the
unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore, all progress depends upon the unreasonable man.”

RIP

Joce says:

wow… nice. What a great memory to have Chase. I feel somewhat jealous of my mom right now; If there is a heaven I surely hope she’s baking him a nice apple crisp right now for Thanks Giving :-)

Jau says:

I would have done the same thing .. And if you were to cross me in a door way I would sneak a shoot like that of you too ..because you are the Steve jobs of photography .. And may he rip and may you keep bringing us grate work and showing and changing the world. God bless

fas says:

Really heart touching, why did you not speak to them?

stacymarie says:

Oy, you guys…Steve didn’t even talk to him and he snapped a picture of the guy’s back. I mean, honestly, by the way this is written and posted all over the internet you’d think Jobs had stopped Chase Jarvis and grabbed him by the shoulders and said that quote, rather than Jarvis just remembering it as something Jobs said once.

I’m fine with remembrances, but this flagrant posturing of Jarvis is a little silly. Be humble, Chase. Life isn’t just status updates and twitter posts. Actually take some time to write a remembrance instead of attempting to boost your own presence by posting a quick pic and 120 characters about a quote you once read about.

I’m really, really disappointed in you.

Chase says:

really stacy? really? who are you to tell me how to remember steve?

is it better remembrance of steve to do what you’ve done…run around criticizing others and leaving disparaging comments on blogs of people you’ve never met who wrote about their personal experiences in steve’s presence?

i’d delete your offensive comment in a hot second if I didn’t think it deserved being left up as a permanent record of complete bullshit lameness with your name on it.

mike says:

Wow.

That nice guy persona is really quite a thin veneer, ‘eh guy ? Seems to peel off easily / quickly. Thought you were all for people expressing themselves. Guess it’s only as long as they’re stroking your ego while they do it….

WOW Stacy, if I were in Chase shoes, I’d have done the EXACT same thing. This post was just for Chase to reminisce about when he crossed paths with the guy, NOT self promotion like you’re thinking. And the quote is from a speech he gave at the commencement ceremony at, I think, Stanford University. If you think Chase is not humble, then I dont know what to say to you. Its clear you’ve not been following this blog and chase’s online photography journey. Everyone will remember Steve differently! This is how I paid my respect to the man http://instagr.am/p/POXDk/?ref=nf

Tyler says:

Thanks for posting the pic. Content trumps composition every single time.

adrian says:

thanks Chase for uploading the photo; for me it’d be an important image of a great man, taken with the device he created. RIP Steve

Lars says:

thanks for sharing this memory

RIP Steve

Jens Thorsen says:

Thanks for sharing Chase

As I once heard Zack Arias say “The moment takes precedence over perfect composition”
Your picture is one of those moments, It tells the story along with your words.

RIP Steve Jobs

Thanks for keeping it real!

Brian Klepper says:

Such a great snapshot! Gave me goosebumps.

David says:

Thank you for posting the photo, Chase. It seems very appropriate, a snapshot of a brief encounter of a man who is now gone, walking off into the distance. The circumstances have transformed this otherwise ordinary snap.

Steve & Jony
When I was an intern at Apple in 2010 I would see them everyday at lunch time. Amazing to see Steve eat among everyone else at Cafe Mac. An amazing atmosphere to work in.

great post Chase

Chris McCord says:

The photo is great Chase! Doesn’t have to be a perfect one to be great, you of all people should know that. Its the story it tells…duh. It tells me how incredibly lucky you are to have been that close to such a pioneer of technology. It tells a story of how lucky you were to brisk by him in life, in such a short instance, in a way only millions of others wished they could have done. There is a lot of story to that picture that you “aren’t proud of”…

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.

Rod Clark says:

Cool pic Chaser. I could tell immediately that it was Jon and Steve. A brush with greatness is definitely something worth documenting.

naomi says:

Thanks for sharing this story, it’s very touching – I would’ve felt the same way. I am so glad you posted the photo – i love it!

Terry says:

Like an old western, the hero rides off into the sunset, He too walks away from the legacy he helped build, and a world of so many possibilities that many will continue to be inspired to fulfil.

DanielKphoto says:

He was a great man, may he rest in peace.

Beautiful post chase

Come on man..photo?
RIP Steve Jobs – He is in amongst the iClouds now

Bluestill says:

I once got on an escalator in Nordstrom in downtown Seattle, and James Brown and his posse got on directly behind me. I’m not making any sort of comparison between Steve Jobs and James Brown, but I am simply pointing out the fact that when these sort of moments occur I think it is okay to do foolish things. I didn’t ask him if I could take a photo of him, I asked him to take a photo with me, which he did.

sweetandcoolval says:

My favorite bit of his philosophy is ‘don’t settle’. It’s hard to live that way sometimes, but I am trying.

Mrcos says:

Where is the picture?

Ron Paulsen says:

Steve has his very own iCloud. The world is going to miss him.

Nasir Hamid says:

Give it a few months. It might take that long to locate the image in amongst the 100’s of thousands of iPhone images that Chase shoots.

Monty says:

Stay foolish – I love it.
Act blindly, don’t plan too much. Life is lived forward without long vision. Pursue your instincts. Leap into the fray.
Sooner murder an infant in its cradle than nurse unacted desires.
Thanks again Chase

Eliano says:

“One more thing”: I’ll be hungry, I’ll be foolish. Always.

Marven Payne says:

Awesome post Chase! And words I tend to live my life by (for better or worse). That way I know I’ll die with no regrets as I’m sure Steve did.

Jeremy says:

What a loss to the creative world. I was in a Final Cut Pro class when I received a alert on my phone from a tech site and it told the news. I was heart broken!

LovesToSpooge says:

Steve Jobs. The man who proved that a fool and his money are soon parted.

Ian says:

Chase don’t leave us hanging, share the photo of that fateful date.

Phil Stefans says:

Great post…he was a true visionary…he saw what everyone else was doing and belligerenty, stubbornly, thankfully, did the opposite.

He made the world a better place.

Kurtis Kronk says:

Photo or it didn’t happen. :D

Steve will be missed by many. It’s a sad day for all his friends and family, and for all those who were impacted by his visionary work in the tech and creative industries.

Daniel Cruz says:

Love this post man! It’s a great reminded for always working hard, and always putting yourself out there. Thanks for sharing this Chase!

Love this little story of yours, Chase. Thanks for sharing. It is evident that you are hungry (and sometimes foolish) almost constantly. That is certainly a quote to live by.

I’m with Luke… the photo? he will be missed.

Sam says:

May Steve Jobs rest in peace. On a side note you got closer to meeting him than pretty much anyone reading this post. Lucky.

Edward says:

I imagine it would be like the JFK RFK photo.

Here here Chase. Class act, and inspirational as always. I continue to chase my dreams in large part due to you and people like Steve. Rest in peace and God bless!

mM