10 Things Every Creative Person (That’s YOU) Must Learn

Here is a list of 10 things I’ve learned the hard way that every photographer, designer, creative–hell, every creative person–should know.

1. Experts aren’t the answer.
The blogs, the teachers, the mentors, the seminars aren’t the answer. They’re not there to tell you exactly what you need to know. If they’re good, then they are there to give you some ideas, some guidelines, or some rules to learn and subsequently break. This isn’t about the expert, it’s about you. In creative pursuits especially…what’s going on inside you is where the answers can be found. Hear what experts say, but don’t always listen to them.

2. Clients cannot tell you what they need.
Clients hire you because they have a problem. They need a great visual representation of something, a solution. They think they know the best way to photograph something, but they don’t really. That’s why they hire you. Take their suggestions to heart, because they definitely know their brand, product, their vision–perhaps even shoot a few versions of the images they THINK they want to see first–but then go nuts with own vision. Add value. Show them something they didn’t expect. Don’t be a monkey with a finger. Remember why you got hired…that YOU are the badass image maker. If you are good enough to get selected for the job, you should be good enough to drive the photographic vision.

3. Don’t aim for ‘better’, aim for ‘different’.
It’s funny how related “better” and “different” are. If you aim for ‘better’ that usually means you’re walking in the footsteps of someone else. There will often be someone better than you, someone making those footsteps you’re following… But if you target being different–thinking in new ways, creating new things–then you are blazing your own trail. And in blazing your own trail, making your own footprints, you are far more likely to find yourself being ‘better’ without even trying. Better becomes easy because it’s really just different. You can’t stand out from the crowd by just being better. You have to be different.

4. Big challenges create the best work.
If you get assignments that are pushing your vision, your skills, then awesome. Kudos to you, keep getting those assignments. If you’re not getting those assignments, then you need to be self-assigning that challenging work. Give yourself tough deadlines and tougher creative challenges. You do your best work where there is a challenge that is clearly present and 10 feet taller than you think you can handle.

5. Aesthetic sensibilities actually matter.
Go figure on this one… I’m constantly surprised as how much this is overlooked. Read this and believe it: You must develop a keen understanding of design, color, light, and composition. To just say “I know a picture when I like it” isn’t going to get you anywhere. You need to know –for your own sake as well as the sake of your clients who will ask you– WHY a photo is a great photo. WHY is this one better than that one. If you don’t have any visual vocabulary, opinion, or aesthetic sensibility you won’t be able to explain these things. You won’t get the job. Or if you do get the job, you won’t be able to explain why your photos are worth getting hired again by the same client for the next campaign, story, or video. Trust me on this. Develop a sense of visual taste.

6. Simple is good.
Almost every photo that is bad has too much information. Outside of technical basics, the number one reason that most photos fail is because there is no clear subject. Often this is the case with design, film, fashion, you name it. Remove clutter, remove distraction. Tell one story, and tell it well.

7. Make mistakes, learn quickly.
Simply put, you need to be able to learn from your mistakes. Avoiding failure is not the goal. The goal is recovering from mistakes quickly. That goes for ever element of your photography–creative, business, vision…you name it. If you’re not willing to make mistakes, you’ll be paralyzed with inaction. That is the devil. Get out there and do stuff. If it works, do more of it. If it doesn’t work, change it. Quickly.

8. “Value” is different from “price.”
Don’t compete on price alone. That is certain death in any creative field. Focus on delivering value and price yourself accordingly. If you deliver great value with your images — better than expected, and better than your competition– and you can illustrate that through any means, then you should be more expensive. And remember that value comes in many forms.

9. A-Gamers work with A-Gamers.
If you are good at what you do, then you work–or seek to work–with other people who kick ass too. If you suck, then you put yourself around sucky people to feel better about yourself. If you want to be the best, seek to be around awesome people–be it other artists, assistants, producers, clients, partners, whatever. Shoot high. Shoot for better than yourself.

10. Real artists create.
Do you just sit around and think of stuff you could create, photograph, build, ship, or design, but never output anything? Then you’re a poser. Take a new approach and make stuff. Maybe what comes out of your studio isn’t perfect, but there should always stuff leaving the door and hitting the web, the page, the billboard, the gallery, or the street. If you are for real, you’ll be pumping out work on the regular.

There you go. Now don’t just read this list, KNOW this list.

[This list was unabashedly, profoundly inspired by my pal Guy Kawasaki's article "What I learned from Steve Jobs." If you like this version that I've adapted to and reworked to be creative industry/photography centric, you'll still love Guy's version here.]

169 Responses to 10 Things Every Creative Person (That’s YOU) Must Learn

1. Imene October 11, 2011 at 10:34 am #

AMEN!!!!

2. NOEL October 11, 2011 at 10:37 am #

The 10 Commandments of Chase Jarvis. AMEN! lol

• Amy November 3, 2011 at 6:26 pm #

“Alternate Title” to this post. Awesome.

3. Hollie B October 11, 2011 at 10:38 am #

Great words! Love to hear this every once in a while to remind me where I’m going and to not get caught up in the little things.

4. Jordan Fraser October 11, 2011 at 10:39 am #

Kickass! Loved that, soo inspirational!

5. Shaun H October 11, 2011 at 10:54 am #

Inspiring! Well done! Great article to always come back and reflect on.

6. glenn g. October 11, 2011 at 11:06 am #

John Langford, an Austin-based photographer, sold everything a year ago in order to pursue his photography and travel passions. He’s spent most of the time in Asia-Pac, including a month or so in Cambodia teaching photography to kids whose parents were working clearing land mines. His website is http://www.cosmiccandidcamera.com. I don’t know of a more inspirational yet modest example of someone who knows his passion and is willing to set aside everything else to pursue it.

7. Matt Timmons October 11, 2011 at 11:20 am #

Going to save this and read it regularly. Cheers-

8. Mathieu October 11, 2011 at 11:23 am #

Another nugget of information! Thanks Chase!

9. Michael D'Avignon October 11, 2011 at 11:26 am #

I’m ready to shoot a man in Reno just to watch him die. Good stuff!

10. mik October 11, 2011 at 11:28 am #

funny. as i read along, i knew that this was a rehash of kawasaki’s steve jobs list.

nicely adapted to photography, and nicely attributed.

11. CW October 11, 2011 at 11:29 am #

Thanks for this.

CW

12. Dustin B Denney Photographer October 11, 2011 at 11:41 am #

Nice job of porting that into our language (creative), Chase. Thumbs up!

13. Warren Williams October 11, 2011 at 12:35 pm #

Great advice from the master… want to be friends? ;P

14. Bernie Greene - London portrait photographer October 11, 2011 at 12:38 pm #

That was out of the park good. There’s usually one item in a list of that sort that means something to me but in this list every item was hot.

15. Merva Ayberk October 11, 2011 at 12:51 pm #

100% Chase Jarvis there. Great post buddy.

16. Robert Jewett October 11, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

Love these. And so true. I’ve made a series of images from these statements (plain text on grey field), placed them in a folder. They now rotate through as my desktop, one every minute!

17. jonathan October 11, 2011 at 2:22 pm #

Nugget of pure wisdom right there. Nice one chase.

18. Luis October 11, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

Just what I needed to read today, Thanks, Chase.

19. Hooman October 11, 2011 at 2:39 pm #

Excellent!

20. Schaffer Photography October 11, 2011 at 3:10 pm #

Very awesome advice!! I will definately check out the article about Steve Jobs!

21. Moritz October 11, 2011 at 3:37 pm #

well said as always.
    and as for no.10, be creative and create… just did another shoot yesterday and some pics posted on my blog… like you said, get the work out there.
    follow my blog at http://www.mostphotography.blogspot.com

22. abroboyedzin October 11, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

WOW!! What a long big nail to the head! If only I had saved every scent I’d spent on tutorial dvds, online subscriptions and every darn new book that claims to reveal secrets in the biz not to mention gear, I would still have some money in the bank and not complain about how awful the industry is and how much less money I’m making.
    The truth is that MOST of the dvds, tutorials out there contains information that YOU already know but fail to implement. Most expects out there will charge you every dim to give details of “how they did it” but wait a minute, that’s actually part of their photography business. Oh sh*t they figured there is a demand from “customers” like me.
    I had to downside my home for a smaller house to pay off my debt. Thank God my wife is still with me. Fast forward, I’ve found my vision and creating content that’s genuinely mine!

Interestingly though, as I’ve refined and continuing to refine my craft, I’ve realised you can actually create compelling imagery with LITTLE gear and camera gadgets. ZACK has been right all along. Why didn’t I listen to that white grey bearded guy!

Some day I’ll market a book or dvd tutorials on how not to screw it up and put your family and marriage on the line like I did to photographers. Oh yes!!

23. Jay Sanaknaki October 11, 2011 at 3:48 pm #

Very well said. Thanks for the reminders and new hints.

24. James Tiblier October 11, 2011 at 4:35 pm #

I have to say I practice number 7 everyday I shoot.

25. Bas Clark October 11, 2011 at 5:53 pm #

A wonderfully profound list. Thank you for sharing this with the rest of the creative world.

26. John Caetano October 11, 2011 at 6:55 pm #

Well said, thanks for the info as always bro!

27. Dan October 11, 2011 at 7:14 pm #

Great advice!

As for number 5 on building aesthetic sensibility…how do you go about doing that and how do you know once you’ve reached or accomplished it?

I’ve seen/heard photographers say things about shots (about the aesthetics) which just made them sound like idiots…or maybe I was the idiot, lol.

Thoughts? Advice?
    Thanks!

• alexissevilla October 12, 2011 at 4:28 am #

very nice blog… i love number 8… ;-)

• Kevin Foster December 28, 2011 at 10:55 am #

I’m with Dan on #5. I would love to see a blog post expanding the information here.

Thank you!

28. Trentin Shreeve October 11, 2011 at 10:29 pm #

Always a big inspiration. A big reason why I dropped my successful career to follow my passion. These guidelines I will keep throughout my photography/creative career. You put into words what I have felt for a long time. That is why I follow this blog. The creative guidance and vision of Chase Jarvis and other photographers like Sam Abell is the reason I do what I do. I try to interpret your vision into my own work but add my own vision to it. Breaking the rules…. its what creativity is all about. Having the guts to change yourself/life to follow your personal vision is what the creative lifestyle is all about.

29. Girish October 12, 2011 at 3:23 am #

A great post. Something to think about and to learn each point correctly.

The 5 point is very very important.

30. Rob Franklin October 12, 2011 at 3:26 am #

Hi there, great post

Loving the advice on here, especially given the relative inexperience I have.

I decided to follow a cliched route of a 365 to basically force myself to use point 7 as a bit of a mantra.

I have found it difficult to really get a sense of what I wanted to do having read expert ‘how to’ type posts before.

This is a great way of looking at things.

Rob

31. David Burke October 12, 2011 at 4:32 am #

Thanks for the great article, and putting things so succinctly. Think I will print these off and have them on my desk – a quick checklist at the start of each busy day!

32. Hunter Harrison October 12, 2011 at 5:27 am #

I could not agree with #8 (create value) more! This is the heart of my photography business. While I am not focused on commercial photography at the moment, this point is really important. I spend a lot of time defining what makes be valuable beyond my photography skills. I also spend a lot of time making sure clients can see and feel the value. Let’s face it, I’m not the best photographer ever and I never will be. However, my clients know value when they see it. With me they get great leadership, less headache, a friendly person, easy services and good photography. And of course they are willing to pay for it.

33. Stu Bailey October 12, 2011 at 5:31 am #

Memorised! Thanks Chase! :-)

34. JC Ruiz October 12, 2011 at 6:58 am #

Chase has a way with words. Brilliant post.

35. erin perkins October 12, 2011 at 7:14 am #

Brilliant! Everyone should read.. everyone can snap an image but not everyone can tell a story & really FEEL what they are doing.. doing for others & not themselves.
    Do what you love & people that love what you do will find you.. my 2am quote to myself…one of many late nights.; Why an artist has trouble with sleep.. i’d love to hear your thoughts on that !

36. Jeremy Aaron October 12, 2011 at 8:37 am #

My question to Chase is do you force the issue of being different, or do you try to move in that direction? I would be one of those people who are trying to “get good” at being a photographer, so its tough to figure out how to differentiate myself when I’m wanting to push my work to a level that I’m happy with. Thoughts?

• Chase October 18, 2011 at 2:46 am #

force it. anytime you find yourself on the side of the majority, it’s time to take a second look… (somebody smart said that first.)

37. João Almeida October 12, 2011 at 10:13 am #

#3 Kinda reminds me some landscape or nature photographers I’ve seen: photos technically immaculate but extremely boring to look at…

38. fas October 12, 2011 at 1:01 pm #

Real artists create, good artists copy :p

39. TimR October 12, 2011 at 1:25 pm #

That’s actually a really good and useful list (most lists like that aren’t really). Thanks, Chase!

40. clopix October 12, 2011 at 8:21 pm #

Thank you! should be on every creative refrigerator door!

41. Eddie October 12, 2011 at 10:16 pm #

Rule 1 should be Rule 10. Otherwise I don’t need to read past RULE 1. Good post,

42. Pierre October 12, 2011 at 10:26 pm #

RT & shared this like crazy :)

43. R. J. Kern October 13, 2011 at 12:06 pm #

Brilliant, Chase!

44. joe Smith October 13, 2011 at 2:54 pm #

I look to people like you to ‘push me out into oncoming traffic.’
    Something about an oncoming car makes you move, quickly.
    Thanks for doing that time and again. I’ve gotten good at running!
    And yes, I agree with your text. Good words.

45. joe Smith October 13, 2011 at 2:57 pm #

I look to people like you and Zack Arias to ‘push me out into oncoming traffic.’
    Something about an oncoming car makes you move, quickly.
    Thanks for doing that time and again. I’ve gotten good at running!
    And yes, I agree with your text. Good words.

46. Rick October 13, 2011 at 11:33 pm #

Interesting article- but I think you are missing the importance of listening… truly listening to clients… you talk about ‘hearing’ them – which I just don’t agree with… My suggestion would be to better embed that message– too many junior resources have this very self centered attitude- which just doesn’t work long term.. if you look at the many reasons why Steve Jobs was so revered- is that he listened to what people wanted- he was incredibly creative- but based his output on the many requiremens that users yearned for… he listened and then delivered a unique and differentiating product based upon what customers were asking for.. to your point,,, customers didn’t really know what they wanted- but they could certainly tell you what they didn’t and were able to describe the adjectives of the ideal product…. Nixw Attemmpt but looking for your v2!

Would love to hear directlly from you,

Partner and Member of Board of Directors
    Think Inc Photography
    Dr Rick Gaetano

47. Mark Matthews October 14, 2011 at 3:43 am #

Chase I agree with everything but your first point. I’ll listen to anything you write! Seriously, thank you, awesome blog entry, you make small fry like me dream big. :)

48. Andrew October 15, 2011 at 4:12 am #

I’m cheering from the East Coast. Leaping in agreement. Ecstatic to find this blog.

49. David Frandsen Photography October 15, 2011 at 1:32 pm #

I just printed this list and put it on my wall. It’s very good.

50. Raymond Tuquero October 15, 2011 at 7:45 pm #

Chase, another moment for me to bow down at your philosophy and knowledge.

I cannot believe I didn’t see this before. Great words and read. I am definitely going to quote you at myself everyday to “Not be Better, But Different”.

51. Mandy October 16, 2011 at 1:27 pm #

These are things that I know on one level or another, yet still struggle to live them… And as you say it’s all down to fear of failure.

I know I can do it so I need to get out there and do it!

I’m going to print this out and have on a wall where I can see it everyday… Thank you

• Matthew L Kees October 16, 2011 at 5:31 pm #

I like all but #1. I teach, but I don’t stifle my students. I help them grow.

Someone, somewhere has to explain f/stops.

Matthew L Kees
      Director of MLKstudios.com

“Every artist was once an amateur.”

• Seb November 21, 2011 at 8:24 pm #

Hey! Aren’t you the one who wrote to Zack Arias that he and Chase were newBs??!?

Seb

52. Matthew G. Monroe October 16, 2011 at 7:32 pm #

Chase: I would add in an eleventh guideline to your list, which is:

“Learn all the rules… And then break them”

The people in this world who are respected for their technique are respected because they follow all the rules, perfectly and to the letter (think of just about any world class classical musician, or a physician). On the other hand, the people who are truly respected for their artistry are respected (though often reviled at first) because they break the established rules (think about Bob Dylan, The Beatles, William Eggleston, Jackson Pollock, etc, etc…). Of course, the catch here is that the true artists who at first break all the rules eventually create the framework for a whole new set of rules — which then need to be broken again by yet another set of artists.

• Anonymous October 20, 2011 at 2:44 pm #

no need to add that.. it’s in there…

53. Phil Stefans October 18, 2011 at 2:07 am #

Cheers to that!

54. free iphone 4s October 19, 2011 at 9:13 am #

GREAT REVIEW! I totally agree with all your thoughts you said in your post, especially at the middle of your article. Thank you, this info is very useful as always. Keep up the good work! You’ve got +1 more reader of your web blog:) Isabella S.

55. jonny best October 19, 2011 at 12:20 pm #

Great post, I think this guy could do with reading it though – http://www.prime-exposure.blogspot.com – at least he’s trying I guess.

56. Paul J Schmidt October 20, 2011 at 2:28 pm #

Thank you for writing this. Although I have followed some of these some of the time. Now I have a concrete list to remind me to do it all of the time.

57. Jillyan Sawyer October 21, 2011 at 11:27 am #

Excellent points! Some of these can be applied to other industries as well, not just photography!

58. Viktor October 25, 2011 at 12:51 am #

Thank you for that great article! Point 10 treats me most. Still can’t get it, that i am a dumb poser :) Have to treat me in my fatty back for doing more photos again! You have wake me up, thanks!

59. köln October 31, 2011 at 7:49 pm #

Thank you for sharing this with the rest of the photographyworld – this is an excellent post. Regards from Cologne – smell the light. Take care

60. VAL Masferrer Oliveira November 16, 2011 at 2:29 am #

“Another word for creativity is courage”. Great article!
    VAL Masferrer Oliveira

61. andrej November 18, 2011 at 2:53 am #

if you are the smartest guy in the room, you are in the wrong room!

62. AV November 19, 2011 at 4:43 am #

I almost cried at # 3 LMAO im so lame!
    ; )

63. photographer sussex November 19, 2011 at 11:50 am #

Hello.

Excellent article, thanks for sharing! I�m excited about reading more!

• ix November 24, 2011 at 12:03 pm #

Learn to compose a photo before becoming proficient in Photoshop.

64. WordPress Guru November 26, 2011 at 4:46 am #

Thanks for the information. Its great.

65. WordPress Guru November 28, 2011 at 2:41 am #

Excellant article. Thanks for sharing.

66. Corporate Photographer November 28, 2011 at 6:11 am #

At college we had a project that made us only take pictures inside our house. This made us think more and had to create a good image rather than just point the camera at a sunset or a pretty model. To get the edge as a photographer you have to go that bit further than all the others.

67. WordPress Guru November 28, 2011 at 7:39 am #

Awesome. 10 must do commandments – Practice everyday.

68. dbagley9 November 28, 2011 at 10:24 pm #

Ray Bradbury — “Creativity is continual surprise.” Thanks Chase and crew.

69. Tammy December 1, 2011 at 1:27 pm #

Great read. I needed to hear it now more than ever. I was just going to tweet how I get all these great ideas but can’t seem to stick to one. Guess I just need to pick one and dive on in man. Thanks:-) <3 it!

70. Chase December 28, 2011 at 10:34 am #

“Do you just sit around and think of stuff you could create, photograph, build, ship, or design, but never output anything? Then you’re a poser. ”

Thats it. Thats the shit right there. Describes me on occasion and more than 80% of the photo sphere at this moment.

• lola December 28, 2011 at 10:54 am #

yes, because photography has been saturated and degraded thanks to the amount of idiots with a digital camera and no talent…not to mention the “we can fix it in post” mentality.

Photography is dead and images produced today can hardly be trusted.

71. marco December 28, 2011 at 10:46 am #

ok…you are an expert so.. i can’t listen you LOL ps thx ;)

72. Life with Kaishon December 28, 2011 at 10:47 am #

This is so good. Thank you for sharing : )

73. lola December 28, 2011 at 10:52 am #

“Then you’re a poser.” ahahaha….

yes, and so are you for writing such a silly list of platitudes and opinions.

Those who can’t…. well, try to tell others how to do it, most certainly.

This “piece” is utter bollocks.
    You don’t know better than anyone else. Where is your opus or masterpiece?

• chase jarvis December 28, 2011 at 12:37 pm #

@lola: my work is well documented in the world.
      and this blog is exactly my opinion, nothing else. don’t read it if you don’t want it.
      lastly, feel free to share some of your links here if you’re so incredibly qualified to talk smack…
      anonymity is weak.

74. Ryan Golla December 28, 2011 at 1:03 pm #

Well said Chase! Wise words…

75. May December 28, 2011 at 1:53 pm #

Very true! Being different and having a unique vision is a necessity!

76. Suzy G December 28, 2011 at 3:00 pm #

Love it. Thanks for inspiring.

77. ameyer December 29, 2011 at 12:32 am #

totally agree with you on point 5 chase. do you have any tip where one could learn why a picture ist good? a book or a website or something to get the basics to start from? that’d be real great
    as to the other points: amen to that and thanks for sharing your thoughts

78. Rob December 29, 2011 at 2:53 am #

Great words Chase, has a fine Artist myself these words are well written & remind me so much of how I developed my skills in being a painter / amature photographer. Also in response to point five, ‘do’ understand your own work & be prepared for that technical explanitory feedback which could dissolve you in an instant from clients, purchasers..ect. Therefore do know your artistic terminology and be original in your creative endeavour.

79. Dave Boys December 29, 2011 at 3:10 am #

YES YES YES

80. Mike December 29, 2011 at 10:19 am #

Spoken like a true master. This will be one of very few web articles that I actually print out and ready every couple days.

• Yasin December 29, 2011 at 4:37 pm #

These are exactly the words I was thinking about for days and chatting about it with friends. Well said, very good and inspiring words for new and upcoming artists. Boosting words for their self esteem for sure. I feel inspired and encouraged. I’d say way to go and looking forward for more to come as guidelines.

81. Roger December 31, 2011 at 6:06 pm #

how awesome … :O

82. Derrick Marandi January 4, 2012 at 3:30 am #

Bookmarked! Thanks for an amazing post, will read your others posts.

83. Andreas Will January 6, 2012 at 6:42 am #

Really good post! Thx for sharing.

84. mob January 17, 2012 at 6:57 am #

I merely ought to tell you which you have written an outstanding and distinctive write-up that I truly enjoyed reading. I am fascinated by how effectively you laid out your material and presented your views. Thank you.

85. Perla Kopf February 3, 2012 at 12:46 am #

Thanks a lot for the article.Thanks Again. Much obliged.

86. Charlotte Bryer-Ash February 3, 2012 at 10:35 am #

Such a great post. So simple, yet completely to the point. Thank you so much for sharing this :D

87. Vania Shuler February 7, 2012 at 11:20 am #

I actually desired to compose a small note to thank for you for some of the pleasant secrets you happen to be showing on this webpage.

88. Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) February 9, 2012 at 6:23 pm #

Came over from Me Ra Koh’s blog. So glad I did! What an incredible post. Pinned it. I need to read it often.

89. PaulaMiles March 6, 2012 at 6:30 am #

I visited a lot of website but I believe this one holds something extra in it. “I thank God I am as honest as any man living that is an old man and no honester than I.” by William Shakespeare.

90. Jeff March 15, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

Great stuff! I love the fact that the typo was in the paragraph on making mistakes. “for ever/for every.” Keep ‘um coming!

91. Seamus April 6, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

Don’t forget the experts built the Titanic.

92. jon April 10, 2012 at 8:59 pm #

Well I am a creative photographer…maybe this list is useful.

93. JC Ruiz April 11, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

Chase always has words of wisdom that can resonate with anyone.

94. Mike April 15, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

Well nowadays as everyone has a perfect “gun” to shoot, the differents are mor and more in finding the right moment to take a photo. thanks fpr your interesting article, seems you are a fotographer crack!

95. city hotel Glasgow April 22, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

Uncovered your short article really intriguing certainly. I really loved reading it and you also make fairly some fantastic points. I am going to bookmark this web page for that foreseeable future! Relly terrific content.

96. neuropathy April 27, 2012 at 3:19 am #

Discovered your content very appealing in truth. I seriously appreciated looking at it and also you make really some fantastic details. I will bookmark this web page for that long run! Relly terrific write-up.

97. Ripley Flowers Company May 5, 2012 at 11:00 am #

Observed your write-up really intriguing in truth. I truly loved browsing it therefore you make quite some superior points. I am going to bookmark this site to the potential! Relly wonderful report.

98. test December 20, 2012 at 6:06 pm #

Excellent blog right here! Also your website a lot up fast! What host are you the use of? Can I get your affiliate hyperlink to your host? I wish my website loaded up as quickly as yours lol

99. Marco Ninneman December 21, 2012 at 6:42 am #

Really Good Work…. You Helping People very much.

100. Gloria Willert January 5, 2013 at 9:07 am #

I desire to utter appreciation to the writer for this brilliant post.

101. Peggie B. Hensley January 15, 2013 at 7:22 pm #

#5 and #6 are priceless! Tomorrow I might need to hear #4.

102. Dexter Pawlusiak February 3, 2013 at 11:51 pm #

My spouse and i were extremely thankful that Edward managed to deal with his basic research from your precious recommendations he was given utilizing your weblog. It is not at all simplistic to just pick to be offering techniques which others could have been trying to sell. And now we do know we now have the weblog owner to be grateful to because of that. Most with the explanations you’ve created, the straightforward site navigation, the friendships you assist to create – it is all astonishing, and it’s genuinely facilitating our son in addition to the family imagine that that concern is pleasurable, and that’s very mandatory. Thank you for all of the pieces!

103. Adan Hotz February 5, 2013 at 5:19 am #

This post contains fantastic original thinking. The informational content here proves that issues aren’t so black and white. I feel smarter from just reading this.

104. Hot date March 11, 2013 at 3:21 am #

It is critical when you’re looking at websites that you try several places before you decide which one is right. It is wise that you read dating reviews so that you can Have a starting place. What a site like this will do for you is to tell you what each site does and how much they charge for membership. You may be recognize that with some of the top ranking dating sites that are available but they may or may not be a great fit for you.

105. Lovie Bozzo May 6, 2013 at 11:19 pm #

I just wish that voltswagon would give up on trying to have the fastest car in the world, and share it giant course because I am getting tired of looking at the dang bugatti. The koeningsegg if 2x cooler looking than the bugatti, and in theory could break into the 270 along with the hennessy. The pagan is my favorite though:)

106. singing bee June 11, 2013 at 5:02 pm #

Hello, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one
    and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam remarks?
    If so how do you reduce it, any plugin or anything you can suggest?
    I get so much lately it’s driving me insane so any help is very much appreciated.

107. technorati.com June 11, 2013 at 5:23 pm #

I will immediately grasp your rss feed as I can not
    in finding your email subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service.
    Do you’ve any? Please allow me understand in order that I may just subscribe. Thanks.

108. Joe January 1, 2014 at 5:07 am #

Chase – can you expand on 5. Aesthetic sensibilities actually matter. This is an area I really struggle with. I assume this is an area that is learned over time but it needs a good foundation. My foundation is built with toothpicks, I want to reconstruct with concrete pillars. What advice or recommendations do have for bettering yourself in this area?

109. sash window restoration london March 10, 2014 at 11:02 am #

Usually I do not learn article on blogs, but I wish to say that this
    write-up very forced me to try and do so! Your writing taste has been surprised me.
    Thank you, quite great post.

110. Randall Romano March 12, 2014 at 11:57 am #

Thanks for doing this post as the info is extremely valuable. These are important points for any photographer to live by.

111. OlléS March 12, 2014 at 12:23 pm #

Thumbs up again for that one.
    10 good rules.
    I love especially #9 be around other great artists or “doers” …. I see it so much with myself. Beeing around nei sayers is just dragging you down. More than the ones close to can compensate with saying yes go for it…
    Everytime I get around other creatives which burn and do I feel like Superman. … I gotta find more to explode :D

1. Watch Chase Jarvis’ Interview by reDefine | Tam Nguyen - Sacramento Photographer - October 11, 2011

[...] with the voices in your own head.On a somewhat related note, check out his blog post on “10 Things Every Creative Person (That’s YOU) Must Learn.” (function(){var [...]

2. 10 things every creative person must learn « KCC New Media Arts | Raphael Lowe - October 11, 2011

[...] celebrity Chase Jarvis offered a great artcile “10 things every creative person must learn” today which I though was spot-on. He did a good job of summarizing lessons I had to struggle to [...]

3. MDfilms » 10 Things Every Photographer/Creative Person Must Learn - October 11, 2011

[...] via: Chase Jarvis [...]

4. 7 things every artist should know. « As the crow flies - October 11, 2011

[...] influential and all around awesome Seattle photographer  and came across this blog on the 10 things that every Creative person should know. It was inspired by a blog on Steve Jobs, the late, highly successful leader of Apple. As I was [...]

5. On Being a Creative … | Visual Journalism - October 12, 2011

[...] Chase Jarvis has a post up on the 10 Things Every Photographer or Creative Person Must Learn. Worth a look, particularly points seven and 10. ‹ Previous Post Photographing Steve Jobs [...]

6. Link: Chase Jarvis on 10 Things Every Creative Person (That’s YOU) Must Learn | Point, Aim, Double Tap - October 12, 2011

[...] Link: Chase Jarvis on 10 Things Every Creative Person (That’s YOU) Must Learn Posted on October 12, 2011 by Victor Excellent advice on lessons for being creative. Source: http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2011/10/ten-things-every-creative-person-must-learn/ [...]

7. Worshipping at the Altar of Chase - October 12, 2011

[...] a recent blog posting, Chase lists 10 Things Every Photographer Must Learn – Here are some highlights for those of you who can’t be bothered to click the link: [...]

8. In the midst of the clutter » Walking Dot Photography - October 12, 2011

[...] fifty million other projects, I’m feeling very uninspired to blog. TERRIBLE. I read a great 10 Things Every Creative Person Must Learn list (by Chase Jarvis) and his number 10 (Real artists create) has gotten me a bit down. [...]

9. Fashion Shoot Bunratty | Wedding & Portrait Photography Blog - October 13, 2011

[...] Chase Jarvis posted an interesting article today entitled 10 Things Every Creative Person Must Learn. One of his points was to not aim to be better, but instead aim to be different. This ties in with [...]

10. Keep Telling The Story « JerseyStyle Photography - October 13, 2011

[...] then I read this post by Chase Jarvis. If you haven’t seen it yet, give it a [...]

11. Las 10 cosas que todo creativo debe de aprender » Rafa Ibáñez WORKSHOPS - October 13, 2011

[...] Lo copié del blog del gran Chase Jarvis. [...]

12. Music of Sound » Detritus 131 - October 14, 2011

[...] > Ten things every creative person should learn [...]

13. Reposting Chase Jarvis | Ray LaVoie - October 17, 2011

[...] other 9 are at Chase Jarvis Blog. Read on… This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. ← Ray as [...]

14. “10 Things Every Creative Must Learn” by Chase Jarvis « Me Ra Koh Photography Blog - October 17, 2011

[...] ALL the awesome education he offers at creativeLIVE!  Last week, he did a great blog post called “10 Things Every Creative Person (that’s YOU) Must Learn!”  I can’t think of a better way to start the week than to start with this list!  Number 2 and [...]

15. Hendronix – 10 Things Every Creative Person (That’s YOU) Must Learn (by Chase Jarvis) - October 21, 2011

[...] visit Chase’s blog for the original post here. Tweet Leave your commentYour Name: (required)E-Mail: (required)Website: (not [...]

16. Hendronix – 10 Things Every Creative Person (That’s YOU) Must Learn (by Chase Jarvis) - October 21, 2011

[...] visit Chase’s blog for the original post. chasejarvis.com Tweet Leave your commentYour Name: (required)E-Mail: (required)Website: (not [...]

17. 10 Things Every Creative Person Must Learn | a F.E.W. designs - October 21, 2011

[...] http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2011/10/ten-things-every-creative-person-must-learn/ [...]

18. some things i read this week | my name is not matt - October 22, 2011

[...] 10 Things Every Creative Person (That’s YOU) Must Learn – Chase Jarvis [...]

19. 5 Dinge, die ein kreativer Fotograf kennen (lernen) sollte » FotoBlog - October 23, 2011

[...] Beitrag ist meine freie Übersetzung aus dem englischen 10 Things Every Creative Person (That’s YOU) Must Learn Technik [...]

20. What inspires me | Heath Hurwitz's Blog - October 23, 2011

[...] to many photographers and this blog post is another example of what’s behind his passion. 10 Things Every Photographer or Creative Person Must Learn | Chase Jarvis Blog I love dance and dancing and everything about this form of physical self-expression. I love how [...]

21. I Love Lists « Baby Grand - October 26, 2011

[...] Click here. [...]

22. Sound Bar None | Flat Art Studios - October 31, 2011

[...] 10 things all photographers should know  GA_googleAddAttr("AdOpt", "1"); GA_googleAddAttr("Origin", "other"); GA_googleAddAttr("theme_bg", "ffffff"); GA_googleAddAttr("theme_text", "333333"); GA_googleAddAttr("theme_link", "0066cc"); GA_googleAddAttr("theme_border", "f2f7fc"); GA_googleAddAttr("theme_url", "ff4b33"); GA_googleAddAttr("LangId", "1"); GA_googleAddAttr("Tag", "featured-photographers"); GA_googleAddAttr("Tag", "shoots"); GA_googleAddAttr("Tag", "flat-art-studios"); GA_googleAddAttr("Tag", "food-photography"); GA_googleAddAttr("Tag", "michael-le-grange"); GA_googleAddAttr("Tag", "photography-tips"); GA_googleAddAttr("Tag", "south-africa"); GA_googleFillSlot("wpcom_sharethrough"); Share this:MoreLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. [...]

23. Inspirational Words for Success - October 31, 2011

[...] following is taken from Chase Jarvis’ 10 Things Every Creative Person Must Learn; words inspired from the originalWhat I Learned From Steve Jobs. by Guy [...]

24. Searching for answers elsewhere - November 3, 2011

[...] Chase Jarvis is a great photographer who writes a blog that I often try to emulate. He has a great blend of pro-photographer information, hard learned lessons, and motivational stuff too. Sometimes it’s just a simple little knowledge bomb that gets my attention. [...]

25. Friday favorites » Life As It Is | The Life and Times of a Louisiana Photojournalist - November 4, 2011

[...] love these 10 myths of commercial photograph and 10 things every creative must learn. So [...]

26. 10 Things Every Creative Person Must Learn « Kreative Pixels - November 4, 2011

[...] Chase Jarvis [...]

27. Link Love Sunday « xoxo nina - November 6, 2011

[...] 10 Things Every Creative Person Must Learn is full of some very wise words of wisdom. Number 3 is my personal favorite. [...]

28. 10 dolog, amit minden kreatívnak tudnia kell - FotóSarok Blog - November 14, 2011

[...] var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(po, s); })();- Chase Jarvis nemzetközileg elismert fotográfus tollából [...]

29. 10 things you must know… « petermosiman - November 20, 2011

[...] http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2011/10/ten-things-every-creative-person-must-learn/ Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. [...]

30. Chase Jarvis’s – 10 Things Every Creative Person (That’s YOU) Must Learn | benjaminamure.com - November 21, 2011

[...] Saw this on, the very cool and inspiration photographer and director, Chase Javis’s website. [...]

31. benjaminamure.com – Chase Jarvis’s – 10 Things Every Creative Person (That’s YOU) Must Learn - November 28, 2011

32. Sound Bar None | Flat Art Studios - November 30, 2011

[...] 10 things all photographers should know  This entry was posted in Featured Photographers and tagged flat art studios, food photography, Michael Le Grange, photography tips, south africa. Bookmark the permalink. ← One More Cheer for The Galliova Awards Connecting Dots → [...]

33. 10 things longer then Kim Kardashion’s marriage… | That Was Random .com - Sharing Random Videos, Images and More. Sharing Random Stuff from Present to Nostalgic - December 19, 2011

[...] More Followers in Twitter w/ this Free ApplicationTell Me 10 Things You Love About Yourself!10 Things Every Photographer or Creative Person Must Learn ul.legalfooter li{ list-style:none; float:left; padding-right:20px; } .accept{ [...]

34. 10 Things Every Creative Person Must Learn « studio 64-20 - December 28, 2011

[...] out another great article on the Chase Jarvis [...]

35. 8 av årets mest intressanta fotoartiklar | Fotograf Mattias Thuvander - December 29, 2011

[...] 10 saker alla kreativa personer måste förstå http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2011/10/ten-things-every-creative-person-must-learn/ [...]

36. 10 Things A Creative Person Needs to Know | Miss Centsible - January 6, 2012

[...] Seen from Chase Jarvis (a wonderful photographer)’s blog, I find these tips extremely helpful. For easy reading, I extract only the important points from the article. That being so, if you’re interested to read the whole article, head on to his blog post. [...]

37. The Weekend ~ 01/06/2012 | DCTdesigns Creative Canvas - January 6, 2012

[...] 10 Things Every Creative Person Must Learn ~ Chase Jarvis [...]

38. Chase Jarvis’s – 10 Things Every Creative Person (That’s YOU) Must Learn – Benjamin Amure Photography - January 9, 2012

[...] I saw this on, the very cool and inspirational photographer and director, Chase Javis’s website. [...]

39. Chase Jarvis – 10 Things Every Creative Person (That’s YOU) Must Learn | Kasper Pers Photography - January 11, 2012

40. 10 Questions with Matt Blick #4 | Cellar Media - Professional Videos and Graphics - January 16, 2012

[...] there and do stuff. If it works, do more of it. If it doesn’t work, change it. Quickly.” Chase Jarvis – 10 Creative Things Every Creative (That’s You) Should Know Shooting aerial shots with Christ Leclerc (on right) of Leclerc Brothers Motion [...]

41. Lessons for photography – Steve Jobs inspired | Print2Metal - January 19, 2012

[...] article by Chase Jarvis, was inspired by his friend’s article ( Guy Kawaski ) “what I learned from Steve Jobs”. Share [...]

42. » 10 Dinge, welche jeder Künstler lernen sollte - Blog – Julian Stiefel - September 11, 2012

[...] Denn vollständigen Artikel in Englisch gibt es im Blog von Chase Jarvis [...]

43. 10 Things Every Photographer or Creative Person Must Learn | Chase Jarvis Blog | Labland Creative - March 17, 2013

[...] 10 Things Every Photographer or Creative Person Must Learn | Chase Jarvis Blog. Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… March 18, 2013 by lablandphotography | Leave a comment [...]

44. 10 Things Every Photographer or Creative Person Must Learn | Chase Jarvis Blog - March 12, 2014

[...] better read it here. This list of 10 things that every creative person (YOU) really must learn.Source / 內容連結 Did you like this article? Share it with your friends!(function(d,s,id){var [...]

45. The reality about being an artist and entrepreneur: why only show the nice side? | Max Riché - Blog - March 14, 2014

[...] new work (this being only partially true, the other half of the sentence being of course to be marketing yourself very well). Ok. But is it a straightforward formula, a magic bullet? What if you are a regular person with [...]

46. What Inspires Me Now #11 « Leigh Webber Photography - March 14, 2014