The Hit List: 13 Things Crucial For Your Success [In Any Field]

Success is each to his or her own, but let’s call it like we see it: when you survey the landscape of your creative world, your industry, your career or hobby–whatever field you’re in– there are several fundamentals to achieving success, regardless of the measure. There are commonalities that are undeniable. So here’s a list of thirteen such things that you should be doing right now – let’s call it your hit list:

1. Get shit done.
Over-thinking, pontificating, and wondering are tools for the slacker. People don’t care what almost happened, or what your problems are or why something wasn’t. They care about what is, and what will be. That requires actually making stuff happen. Pros do, make, ship, send, publish, post and deliver; amateurs sit around and wonder, or worse, scratch their arse.

2. Educate yourself.
Think someone else is responsible for your education? Think again. And don’t fool yourself that being in school, in class, or in the seminar actually equals education. Education is incredibly active and it should be self directed in some capacity. Seek information. Knock down walls to get it.

3. Make your own rules.
There are a million paths to get to any single destination. And while it helps to know the rules that others have played by in the past–those you admire who have come there before you–don’t let those rules alone define your rules or your actions. Be respectful as you make your own rules, don’t be rude. But be prepared to chop your own path through the weeds and fend off the naysayers, because if you’re doing something worthwhile there will likely be resistance to your way.

4. Want to be a legend? Affect change.

5. Want to affect change? Get to work. See #1

6. Iterate.
Nothing–and I’ll say it again, but louder–NOTHING will spring from your creative self fully formed. Genius, clarity, vision–whatever you want to call it–will come in fragments at inopportune moments over days, weeks, months, years. Be ready to catch each one of the iterations and push it out of you. The summary of those iterations will aggregate into something special.

7. Look inside.
Understand that the best way to make something new and fresh is to look inside you. The answers are in here, not out there.

8. Don’t underestimate the fundamentals. Know your craft.
Vision and big-picture-thinking are important, but not at the expense of the fundamentals. You’ve got know the nuts and bolts of what your doing. Skip this item at your own risk.

9. Take a deep breath.
Life, work, art can be hard. Anxiety – not to be confused with the positive stress of deadlines and forced production schedules – is counter productive. So when shit is getting hairy, take a breath. Everything is going to be okay. When you re-center, see #1.

10. Take delight.
Your work should be fun. Not always fun like a birthday party fun, but fun like you’re doing the right thing sort of fun. Stimulating. Positive. Energizing. Take delight in what you do, and for that matter, what others do too. Celebrate successes, pop champagne or Diet Coke when you break through tough challenges. Stay up all night when the ideas are flowing, because you can. Enjoy the process, because from moment to moment, the process is reason for the season – it’s all you’ve got. If you don’t take delight, your career will be short, either by choice or by fate.

11. Seek out good people.
Think you’re on a solo journey? On the contrary. Making your work, your career, your life, will involve others taking to you and what you do. Therefore, make effort to know, connect, collaborate with, mentor under, the best people you can find. Screw that, the best people you can FATHOM. And once you identify them, seek them. Make an effort to cultivate those relationships and take those good people with you – figuratively and literally – on your journey. Good people tend to attract other good people. And so for similar reasons, it should go without saying, avoid jerks, d-bags, and haters. It’s hard to soar like an eagle when you run around with turkeys. Negative energy is like a black hole for creativity and inspiration. And remember, you are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with.

12. Find some quiet.
Noise, stimulation, and adventure are good for creating the raw building blocks of creativity, but they suck for the most important part of creativity — the synthesis. Synthesis–the gluing together of your ideas–requires some sort of quiet, be it just a moment or bunch of moments. So carve out this time.

13. Help others.
When chasing success too many people play the ‘me’ game. It’s all about ‘me’. Well, contrary to what it might seem, success ain’t just about me. Most people who achieve success are concerned with helping others. Helping others cultivates understanding, humility, compassion, and your network – not to mention, a better world. So don’t just reach up and pull yourself there. Be sure to reach sideways and down too, as often as you can muster.

Thanks. Spread the word.

159 Responses to The Hit List: 13 Things Crucial For Your Success [In Any Field]

1. Paul Roupas November 29, 2011 at 10:18 am #

Get Shit Done….so true.

2. jefgibbons November 29, 2011 at 10:18 am #

Awesome Chase, thanks for the reminders. Rapidly approaching the next precipice of work/ life, just making sure my flying gear is in order. This kind of stuff really helps!

3. Jenn Stark November 29, 2011 at 10:19 am #

Always love your posts Chase but have not yet commented I don’t think. Could help but comment on this one – your words are so right on. Bookmarking this one for sure, thank you so much for sharing!

• asdas September 22, 2012 at 2:53 am #

asdasdasdas

• Anonymous April 5, 2014 at 10:00 am #

Dasf Dasf Dasf

4. JC Ruiz November 29, 2011 at 10:21 am #

Another gem of knowledge dropped by Chase.

5. ghislain November 29, 2011 at 10:22 am #

I hate you so much Chase!!! :) :) :) No seriously, you are so right here! Thanks for waking everybody up sometimes, I guess we all need it… Who pump you up?, Who brings you back where you need to be? Who inspire you the most?

Again, thank you for sharing with us lazy bastard :)

6. Kathryn Denelle Stevens November 29, 2011 at 10:24 am #

This list is fantastic. i am literally going to print it out and post it on my office wall. You inspire me!

7. Africashot November 29, 2011 at 10:25 am #

Great article! I can identify with a lot of what you listed here… now that I read what I just wrote it almost sounds like one of these spam comments I always get on my blog, this sort of text that seems to fit to everything… I guess I’ll have to be more precise: awesome post on motivation and the pursuit of happiness = success!

8. Christopher November 29, 2011 at 10:27 am #

So many people forget #’s 8 and 2, especially as they are getting started, that they can’t actually get stuff done. Great list!

9. Dave Block November 29, 2011 at 10:28 am #

Nice list. Like it a lot. Now I have to get back to work. Iteratively.

10. jamie Valenti-Haugland November 29, 2011 at 10:32 am #

Im in the Market for a mentor :D , just saying.

11. Mike H November 29, 2011 at 10:38 am #

Very inspirational – this one if getting printed and hung up in front of my workstation. Thanks!

12. Tyler Brain November 29, 2011 at 10:45 am #

#6 and #12 cover all others – get those right and the rest will follow.

13. Benny November 29, 2011 at 10:50 am #

“You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with,” is genius; so true. Also, bonus points for the use of “d-bag” in a professional blog, haha.

14. Ira November 29, 2011 at 11:03 am #

Spot on. Rule #1

15. DanielKphoto November 29, 2011 at 11:13 am #

Again, very inspiring and true. I’ll definitely keep this in mind. Thanks a whole lot for sharing Chase.

16. Aaron Lindberg November 29, 2011 at 11:14 am #

Great stuff, love #1 need more #11.

17. João Almeida November 29, 2011 at 11:24 am #

You nailed it!!!!

#1 I know too many people who have ideas, who have great plans, who say their minds are bubbling but never take them anywhere, never get their hands dirty. In the end is always about being on the move, doing things.

#8 I “love” people who bend technique, rules, color on composition for “artsy look” or “creative perspective”,

#11 Meeting lots of photography related people in the last couple of years has opened me some doors, gave me opportunities and allowed me to get some freebies, but most of all has made me evolve creatively MUCH more than the years before that.

18. Carl D November 29, 2011 at 12:29 pm #

Hey Chase

Now THIS is more like what I look for on your work; in fact, this stuff is almost TOO good; the blogs are such a transient medium they fly by and are yesterday’s news all too soon.

Wonderful article. Thanks for this.

Cheers

Carl

19. Erin November 29, 2011 at 12:34 pm #

Love everything about this. Thanks!!!

20. Russ Bishop November 29, 2011 at 12:45 pm #

Great post – all of it is so true especially educating yourself and having fun.

21. Alan Majchrowicz November 29, 2011 at 12:49 pm #

Thank you!!! Just what I needed to read today!

22. Joe November 29, 2011 at 12:54 pm #

Great post.
    Minor edit: affect -> effect. I wouldn’t mention it, except it is in bold in two of the thirteen points.

23. sweetandcoolval November 29, 2011 at 12:56 pm #

Thanks again for being there to help people navigate their dreams through clarity and example.

24. Aaron Dressin November 29, 2011 at 1:12 pm #

Just what I needed to hear… thank you Chase!

25. Peggie B. Hensley November 29, 2011 at 1:20 pm #

Oh, what procrastinators we artists are! I know I’m often guilty of analysis paralysis. Love your list. Hope to tattoo #1 on the inside of my eyelids so I see it and am reminded of it a gazillion times!

26. Erik November 29, 2011 at 1:51 pm #

#13 Help others, this gives you the best results.
    Great article.

27. Brad November 29, 2011 at 2:24 pm #

I dig this very much. It’s like you’re a creative ninja slicing and dicing steel wisdom to other creatives.

Keep on rockin’ the free word!

28. Maryanne November 29, 2011 at 3:41 pm #

I’ve never heard someone spell out #6 on the list! I know this number six.

29. Joe Clay November 29, 2011 at 3:55 pm #

I really like that line about you being the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with. That’s a great thing to think about.

30. Jordan Fraser November 29, 2011 at 5:03 pm #

You were def on the Red Bull when you wrote this. The energy and passion just jumps out at when reading this. AWESOME post!!

31. B November 29, 2011 at 5:56 pm #

Chase,

This is an outstanding post. You don’t run your mouth all the time like some people, because you’re busy doing #1. But when you do drop something on us it is strong, timely, and on point. I am spreading this post this far and wide. Thank you sir!

32. Gwyneth Leech November 29, 2011 at 6:20 pm #

Excellent! You are speaking my language.

33. Chris Cookley November 29, 2011 at 6:47 pm #

Chase this is fantastic advice, and I can absolutely apply it to myself. Too often I find myself thinking of things I want to do and never taking the risk or get myself motivated and do them. That needs to change, thanks for reminding me.

34. John November 29, 2011 at 6:51 pm #

Thanks for the teaching and knowledge sharing.

35. Nate Perkes November 29, 2011 at 10:47 pm #

I love it. This is so perfect. Thank you.

36. mark November 29, 2011 at 11:16 pm #

very inspiring chase , thanks for sharing

37. Jeff Almquist November 30, 2011 at 12:03 am #

LUV it Chase! Thank u for the reminder & needed Pick Up! :)

38. Mick Buston November 30, 2011 at 1:26 am #

Just read your post prior to watching this short video that reinforces no. 1 http://vimeo.com/27933991

Now to get shit done.

39. stacy November 30, 2011 at 2:20 am #

Just needed to read this to get me started on work again. #1 hit me the hardest. Thanks for the kick!

40. Dana November 30, 2011 at 2:53 am #

Thank-you! You’ve nailed it! Time to get productive!

41. Nataliya November 30, 2011 at 3:48 am #

Chase, I read this post twice, I even bookmarked it. Thanks for your really truthful advice in hit #1

Get Shit Done.
    I have to start somehow , do things.

42. Ben I November 30, 2011 at 4:59 am #

Awesome list! Just got printed and hung up on my wall!!
    Thanks for your constant inspiration.

43. Stuart Bailey November 30, 2011 at 5:39 am #

Great points. You certainly have a way with words too haha!

” amateurs sit around and wonder, or worse, scratch their arse.”
    ” So when shit is getting hairy, take a breath.”
    ” It’s hard to soar like an eagle when you run around with turkeys.”

44. fredericPierre November 30, 2011 at 6:06 am #

Hej ! SO ARE YOU A SUCCESSFUL ARTIST? i GUEss YoU aRE NOT since you give lessons. ThankS ,fP

45. Leon November 30, 2011 at 6:22 am #

Re: 1 -13 – Word.

46. Christa November 30, 2011 at 6:38 am #

My new favourite blog post :)

47. Andrew November 30, 2011 at 7:16 am #

I heard a great term the other day called “fuckarounditis”, which a syndrome that prevents people from “getting shit done”. I think it was originally used to describe people who spend lots of time in the gym, but never seem to see any results, and it has definitely affected my business and personal life over the years. Recovering from fuckarounditis can be tough, especially when there are so many great websites like this to post comments on. Time to get back to work!

48. Kevin Seagrave November 30, 2011 at 7:31 am #

Hi Chase,
    Excellent post, I think Everyone is guilty of slacking off a bit in our lives and success is there for everyone if they just believe in themselves and what they are doing. If your in a job that you dislike or even hate you need to change what your doing so you feel happy.
    This will lead to positive energy which will get you up off your arse doing stuff you enjoy! It won’t feel like a chore and you are on the way to great things already.
    Kind Regards,
    Kevin.

49. Mike Tittel November 30, 2011 at 9:13 am #

Another great post Chase!

50. Jeff Wilson November 30, 2011 at 10:23 am #

You forgot to mention the importance of proofreading and the proper use of contractions. #8 Then again, maybe understanding the difference between your and you’re is what’s holding me back.

51. damara November 30, 2011 at 11:07 am #

Chase…this is awesome and I love the directness and truth of what you say. Get shit done…just do it and take joy in it all. Awesome to bring back to the front of the mind this time of year.

52. LikeList Lynn November 30, 2011 at 12:34 pm #

ok, ya got me on #1.
    this week, my main lesson is: listen more.
    i tend to pontificate (out of my enthusiasm and love of my work/life).
    thank you for the reminder (again, for, like, the 5th time in 5 days already)
    message getting through.
    still practicing.
    therapy session – time’s up.
    ;-)

53. Rajesh November 30, 2011 at 1:32 pm #

Thankyou Chase.

54. Bruce Buck November 30, 2011 at 4:33 pm #

See, this is why engineers like myself can be such lousy creatives. Because with an attitude of “Get !@#$ done!”, it usually means, that sooner or later, “!@#$ hits the fan”. As long as it’s “good enough”, right? Yeah, good enough, until someone gets injured or killed. Then the poo hits the fan and people are scrambling to CYA and point the finger and blame others because someone isn’t doing a thorough enough job. In the design world over-thinking, pontificating, and wondering are tools for making sure people don’t die.

Going into a more creative role, it’s hard to let go of that mentality, especially on projects that you’re really passionate about or where the client seems really important. The reality is that even on the design/engineering side, you have to make tough decisions and do the best you can with the time, resources, and deadlines given. It should be much easier to do this in a creative field where the consequences aren’t always as critical, but old habits die hard, I guess.

55. MonikaPresents November 30, 2011 at 9:46 pm #

Thank you. I needed that.

56. Moritz December 1, 2011 at 4:29 am #

love point 13… think helping others is a great thing. you never know where that help might lead you.

moritz

57. Jenika December 1, 2011 at 8:25 am #

Loved and shared. #6 rings especially true – good to remember at times when you feel like things aren’t moving fast enough – this stuff takes time and work, and that’s ok.

Thanks for the inspiration.

58. kelly weech December 1, 2011 at 12:14 pm #

Great post, I will revisit this every time I feel a bit sorry for myself to give me a reality check :)

59. Jeremy December 1, 2011 at 2:20 pm #

1. Creativity isn’t synthesis.
    2. Commercial fotography is one of the tools of marketing. It’s science – chemistry of impact. CREATIVITY has nothing to do with synthesis or interpretation.
    3. “Get Shit Done” – why to do, create shit to succeed ?

think different, think again

60. Dennis Hodges December 1, 2011 at 3:13 pm #

Chase,

Spot on. Great list. #1 is King. Steven Pressfield’s “Do the Work”, Hugh MacLeod’s “Evil Plans” and your post have a common thread and a much needed reminder to go, go, GO!

Dennis

61. Maccam December 1, 2011 at 3:32 pm #

I love this Post!

NOW I will…
    - Bookmark it.
    - Put it on my desktop
    - Set it as a wallpaper
    - Put it my phone and set it to remind me everyday
    - Print it and hang it up on the wall

I’m focused and ready purse my goals and dreams.

This will be a good reference and reminder to me.

Thank You!

62. antony December 1, 2011 at 4:52 pm #

Damn you are right, Im at the first point right now about one year i already have more 10projects in my head everything and i am always searching for a thing that can avoid to do it. like *not the better camera* i dont have tripod* etc GET IT DONE and dont think about it. I have been 1year without taking photos just learning and reading. and i m so ashamed of that. I will have my tripod next week and get to work.

63. Rayleigh Leavitt December 1, 2011 at 5:44 pm #

These are good tips. I like the idea of taking responsibility for your own success rather than sitting around waiting for things to happen for you.

64. Reese December 2, 2011 at 10:32 am #

Chase, thank you for sharing. I’ve been reading your blog for months now, but this my first time commenting :P This post came at a perfect time for me in my freelance career, and has already spoken to me in so many ways. #7 and #10 especially hit home for me. I will bookmark this page, print it out, and post it above my computer so I will always see it. Always a pleasure to hear your insights! Thanks again!

• Barbara December 2, 2011 at 6:25 pm #

What a great read – wisdom & insight too.. For my first ever read at your blog, I consider it a helluva introduction!

Thank-you!

65. Barbara December 2, 2011 at 6:40 pm #

oops posted reply in wrong spot. Slightly brain dead….

66. PrimoLED December 2, 2011 at 9:56 pm #

Great list , especially like ” get shit done” you hear it all the time, but i think sitting quitely at the pc, in a moment when your looking for some inspiration, reading it sinks in a bit more then someone telling you.

67. Jean-Joseph Napoleon December 3, 2011 at 9:11 am #

#1 all day. Thank you for this great post.

68. Rich Schaub December 3, 2011 at 9:46 pm #

Awesome! Favz 11-13 thanks Chase!

69. Ethan December 5, 2011 at 11:34 am #

Right on. Agree completely. Very motivating. Good to see it on paper. I have a tough time with relaxing, taking time off. Thanks a bunch. Greetings all the way from Zürich, Switzerland.

70. RobyFabro December 5, 2011 at 11:58 am #

Definitely 13 points that once, put into practice, would improve your life, no matter what business you’re into!

71. Kimmi Sparks December 7, 2011 at 9:50 pm #

Right on!

72. Emma Godfrey December 9, 2011 at 11:35 pm #

Awesome post. Has to be bookmarked for low moments when #1 is seriously in order!

73. Barbara Ireland December 10, 2011 at 12:11 pm #

A PERFECT list. Thanks for spending your quiet time and creative energy making this list Chase!

74. Ivan December 11, 2011 at 6:32 pm #

This is great advice! Thank you so much Chase, you truly are an inspiration!

75. Rajendra December 14, 2011 at 9:51 pm #

Thanks chase it’s awesome.it’s quite similar to the principle of life written on bhagwat Gita.

76. Douglala December 16, 2011 at 9:40 pm #

Great list! I especially like #12. Find Quite Time. My best ideas come during my looooong commutes to work in my car. I turn off the radio and just reflect and brainstorm. Then before you know it I’m home!

77. dmmaseoseoseoseo December 18, 2011 at 9:53 am #

I’m nevertheless learning from you, as I’m trying to achieve my goals. I actually liked reading everything thats written on your website.Keep the stories coming. I enjoyed it!

78. Anne January 1, 2012 at 5:03 pm #

Loved..”You can’t fly like an eagle when you run around with turkeys!”

79. Michael Cabuco January 10, 2012 at 1:49 pm #

“3. Make your own rules.”

This had to be my favorite piece in your list. I strongly believe innovation is the key to creativity and the longevity of success. It’s important to create our own set of standards and push forwards with what we truly believe in. Thank you for the list Chase, I feel more motivated to go out there and start doing.

80. Bruce Jackson January 11, 2012 at 7:54 am #

Hi Chase,

‘Thank you’ for sharing your list of 13. Sorry to bother you with this, but I tried to print it out for my own use and was unable to get it to print. Any secrets to doing this?

Thanks!

Sincerely,
    ~BRUCE~

81. Gary Parker January 17, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

Words of wisdom, that’s for sure! I will post this by my Studio main worktable! Thank you!

Gary Parker, Artist & Writer
    parkerartstudios@yahoo.com
    Parker Art Studios
    PO BOX 1101
    MOUNT CLEMENS MI 48046-1101
    UNITED STATES

82. André February 15, 2012 at 5:41 am #

So true the whole lot, thank you Chase! Time speaks softly but carries a big stick, so get cracking people.
    What a man can be, he must be! A. Maslow
    Once you made the first step in what you passionate about don’t worry about the rest, because it fall in place in due time. Me

83. Tom Callos February 15, 2012 at 7:05 am #

Chase,

I’m a martial arts teacher, so there’s no reason under the sun I should so religiously follow your work / writing / video…except that you make more sense and write more poignantly about the things that matter (to me, anyway) than any martial arts master teacher I know. I forwarded this article to 100 of my school owner clients / students and suggested they dump the outdated, tired, canned “philosophy” they teach in their schools –and use this as their outline.

Just thought I’d send you a note, again, to let you know your work is crossing the borders of subject and “industry” –and that you are, of course, tapping into “The Way” in a way that effects me (and many other, obviously) viscerally. Tom

84. amri February 21, 2012 at 7:21 am #

awesome advice Mr. Chase Jarvis..always admires your style of works…great person u are

85. Alex Cortez February 29, 2012 at 6:46 am #

Thank you very much Chase. For sharing your success and everything. :-)

86. Steve Deschenes March 4, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

Just right !

87. A Girl and A Camera Photography March 14, 2012 at 3:57 pm #

Great post! So true.

88. Jocke March 15, 2012 at 8:57 am #

Great post, especially #1
    Cheers.

89. Heidi harman March 16, 2012 at 3:40 am #

Could not have written this better myself!

90. Marsha Haygood March 23, 2012 at 2:45 am #

Truer words could not be spoken. I will be sharing this Hit List with my coaching clients. Thanks for the reminder.

91. Frederique March 28, 2012 at 11:36 pm #

On #3 and #4, you mean ‘effect’ change, not ‘affect’.
    Great post, that I am forwarding to a young artist friend.

92. sisisi May 12, 2012 at 9:37 pm #

13 Item Hit List That Will Make A Successful Artist | Chase Jarvis Blog I was recommended this blog by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my difficulty. You’re wonderful! Thanks! your article about 13 Item Hit List That Will Make A Successful Artist | Chase Jarvis BlogBest Regards Craig

93. photofairy May 18, 2012 at 5:04 pm #

94. Jan June 28, 2012 at 8:16 pm #

Well said across the board. Good stuff. The only issue I have is with “It’s hard to soar like an eagle when you run around with turkeys”. Sounds way too much like a cliché from a bad self-help book!

95. billy cullen September 28, 2012 at 4:55 pm #

Sorry Chase, you seem a vey fine human being and a fantastic world class photographer but I do and it’s only a personal comment (from a traditional Scottish background) feel your 13 points are somewhat quite pretentious.
    I DO however admire greatly your work and more so your concern to share knowledge but perhaps you need a few more years of living under your belt in order to share in the your take on such matters.

In this particular 13 point case I am reminded of Oscar Wilde’s quote ” I am not young enough to know everything ”

With very best wishes and great admiration Chase!

B

96. Anita Brandon October 17, 2012 at 5:35 am #

Thank you for your helpful and articulate reminder of what the journey is REALLY all about!

97. Julien October 30, 2012 at 3:26 pm #

Thanks for sharing your experience Chase.

In my opinion this is deep stuff and very crticial aspects for success.

98. Al B. October 30, 2012 at 4:02 pm #

Thanks for putting in a very clear way many of the rules I’ve used to live my career, such as it’s been, both in photography and outside of it. This should be the starting point for any teaching program, and build from there.

I am not a religious man, but my first reaction to reading it was: “Amen brother”.

99. Sam October 30, 2012 at 11:39 pm #

Thanks for the reminder Chase..
    Awesome list.. Simple yet so many us misses out.

100. Aisha November 27, 2012 at 7:56 am #

that’s some really nice advice!! :) )

101. Mode tøj January 18, 2013 at 10:34 am #

i absolutely love what you’re writing, it just makes sense all of it, and this post i will reread in a month just to remember myself about the things you point out!

102. Mark August 30, 2013 at 6:32 am #

Chase, this is so refreshing. thank you for this post. You speak in such real terms, it makes me gravitate to the reality of what we deal with- and how simple it is to just make up our minds to go out there and do! Thanks for the inspiration, you’re one RAD dude!

103. Anne-Marie October 17, 2013 at 3:31 am #

Thanks Chase! These are wise words – I’ll print the list, frame it and hang it on my wall to remind me :)

104. Patrick November 27, 2013 at 2:01 pm #

Thanks Chase – I needed that today. Have a good one. P

105. Fred Dunn April 5, 2014 at 9:45 am #

In the words of Nolan Bushnell, the founder of Atari, “Ideas are shit, action is everything.” True then, true today. You gotta do to get stuff done. Thanks for the motivating post.

106. get ppv traffic assault April 10, 2014 at 8:28 pm #

Hmmm is anyone else experiencing problems with the pictures on
    this blog loading? I’m trying to figure out if its a problem on my end or iif it’s the blog.
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

107. Matthew Parent April 30, 2014 at 2:00 pm #

This is my homepage now. Thank you Sir

108. informacje June 5, 2014 at 3:19 am #

great blog . font is a bit extremely petite on my browser though

109. Brian Carey June 13, 2014 at 9:25 am #

These re great. None of it is possible without #8. Know your craft!

110. ALoN June 13, 2014 at 8:09 pm #

This is some great info, I have learned so much from you.

111. GrammarNerd June 16, 2014 at 2:55 am #

Please note the difference between AFFECT and EFFECT. You mean that one should EFFECT change, as in cause it to happen. To AFFECT change makes very little sense. AFFECT as a verb is either the expression of a feeling “She affected a dramatic tone.” or a transitive verb “Paralysis affected his limbs”, which here would mean that you have an impact on the change itself, not cause it to happen.

Grammar may be for nerds but makes a big difference in a list of advice like this.

112. jeanie tomanek June 17, 2014 at 5:26 am #

So Eloquent and true. Thanks so much for this wonderful posting. I’ve just discovered your blog but I’ll keep up with you going forward

113. emr software July 1, 2014 at 4:19 pm #

I do consider all of the ideas you have introduced for your post. They are very convincing and will definitely work. Still, the posts are too short for novices. May just you please lengthen them a little from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

114. Royd Tauro July 7, 2014 at 10:56 pm #

Great post! So very helpful!

115. Philippe Wiget July 8, 2014 at 4:28 am #

#14: Don’t spend too much time reading this kind of posts. Do it! ;-)
    Great post, thanks!

116. Visit Website July 21, 2014 at 3:05 am #

fantastic post, very informative. I wonder why the opposite experts of this sector do not realize this. You should proceed your writing. I’m confident, you have a huge readers’ base already!

117. document scanning companies August 7, 2014 at 9:11 pm #

Great beat ! I would like to apprentice whilst you amend your web site, how could i subscribe for a weblog web site? The account helped me a appropriate deal. I have been a little bit familiar of this your broadcast provided vibrant clear concept

118. Http://www.trilloapp.Com August 15, 2014 at 7:27 pm #

For latest information you have to go to see world-wide-web and on world-wide-web
    I found this site as a most excellent website for hottest
    updates.

119. warehousing in chicago August 18, 2014 at 6:37 am #

My spouse and I stumbled over here coming from a different page and thought I should check things out.
    I like what I see so now i’m following you. Look
    forward to looking over your web page repeatedly.

1. #1 Get Shit Done. | we produce beautifully crafted multimedia - November 29, 2011

[...] Get Shit Done. David White posted this on November 29th, 2011 Great post over yonder, Chase Jarvis talking about a 13 point success hit list. In at number one this week pop pickers, and [...]

2. The Hit List: 13 Things Crucial For Your Success [In Any Field] | - November 30, 2011

[...] I follow many blogs for other photographers. One of my favorites is fellow Seattle photographer Chase Jarvis. Yesterday he did a post on Success: http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2011/11/the-hit-list-13-things-crucial-for-success/ [...]

3. 13 Item Hit List That Will Make A Successful Artist | Heath Hurwitz's Blog - December 1, 2011

[...] 13 Item Hit List That Will Make A Successful Artist | Chase Jarvis Blog 1. Get shit done. 2. Educate yourself. 3. Make your own rules. 4. Want to be a legend? Affect change. 5. Want to affect change? Get to work. See #1 6. Iterate. 7. Look inside. 8. Don’t underestimate the fundamentals. Know your craft. 9. Take a deep breath. 10. Take delight. 11. Seek out good people. 12. Find some quiet. 13. Help others. Rate this: Share this:ShareEmailTwitterFacebookLinkedInStumbleUponRedditDiggPrintLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. This entry was posted in Inspiration by Heath Hurwitz. Bookmark the permalink. [...]

4. 13 Item Hit List That Will Make A Successful Artist by Chase Jarvis | Heath Hurwitz's Blog - December 1, 2011

[...] 13 Item Hit List That Will Make A Successful Artist | Chase Jarvis Blog 1. Get shit done. 2. Educate yourself. 3. Make your own rules. 4. Want to be a legend? Affect [...]

5. Inspiration for the day « jdunlapgraphics - December 1, 2011

[...] http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2011/11/the-hit-list-13-things-crucial-for-success/ [...]

6. JSP Visual Week In Review | 12.04.11 « JerseyStyle Photography - December 4, 2011

[...] Once again, Chase Jarvis gave us all food for thought. LD_AddCustomAttr("AdOpt", "1"); LD_AddCustomAttr("Origin", "other"); [...]

7. Snowy Sunrise | Marj Merges - December 6, 2011

[...] to see an insightful list by Chase Jarvis I wholeheartedly agree with and inspires me; go here.  I swear I wrote all this before looking at Chase’s [...]

8. 13 Things Crucial for Your Success « infinitopia - December 15, 2011

[...] found this Blog on Chase Jarvis’ Blog. Great advice for anyone looking to be successful. 13 Things for Success Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this [...]

9. The Weekend ~ 12/30/11 | DCTdesigns Creative Canvas - December 30, 2011

[...] The Hit List: 13 Things Crucial For Your Success [In any Field] ~ Chase Jarvis [...]

10. 13 Things Crucial For Your Success « Rivelino in Spain - January 6, 2012

[...] out #1 on the list: The Hit List: 13 Things Crucial For Your Success [In Any Field] By Chase on November 29, [...]

11. 13 Things for Success | SNY Ideas - January 6, 2012

[...] here [...]

12. A tous ceux qui veulent se lancer… » Xavier Navarro Photographie - January 27, 2012

[...] : Pour vous aider à réussir, voici un et deux articles de Chase Jarvis, un photographe américain, qui donne quelques précieux conseils pour [...]

13. Digitala Affärer » Blog Archive » Nytt på bloggen: Digitala veckan - March 16, 2012

[...] tipsar Internetworlds chefredaktör Magnus Höij om ”The hit list – 13 things crucial for your success” för helgläsning. Han är med i kvällens Studio Bronx och pratar om [...]

14. BE KIND, REWIND. (This Means You!) | Luann Udell - March 26, 2012

[...] no. My good friend Bonnie Blandford posted a link to a great list of things to do to be the best artist you can be. [...]

15. Florian Bison Photography | Shoot. Share. Socialize. - April 19, 2012

[...] or even any other kind of company. The most useful set of rules that I found til now is this one from Seattle based photographer Chase Jarvis. He breaks it down to 13 rules and every single one of [...]

16. SOMETHING SIMPLY SPECIAL SUNDAYS PART TEN » Claudia Rose Carter Photography Blog - April 22, 2012

[...] The Hit List: 13 Things Crucial For Success [...]

17. 9 Things Crucial For Your Success!! | Share2Aware - May 3, 2012

[...] Source: blog.chasejarvis [...]

18. The First 10,000 » Follow Friday - May 4, 2012

[...] the One That’s With You, and for a good example of why you need to read his blog, check out The Hit List: 13 Things Crucial For Your Success [In Any Field]. Whether or not his style is your cup of tea, if you’re interested in upping your mental game [...]

19. 1. Get shit done. | tobi - July 17, 2012

[...] die anderen 12 Dinge, die man brauch um ein erfolgreicher Fotograf/Künstler/Mensch zu werden gibts bei Chase Jarvis. [...]

20. List « Seeking ~ - August 11, 2012

[...] Came across Chase Jarvis (the guy with book called best camera is the one with that is with you). A bit too many, but .. http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2011/11/the-hit-list-13-things-crucial-for-success/ [...]

21. EXPLORE | Photographers@Microsoft Photobook « Seattle based photography & story telling blog by Matthew Woodget. - October 8, 2012

[...] We were lucky enough to have brilliant photographer and all round nice guy Chase Jarvis help us launch the book. His talk was inspiring and exciting. He shared with us his passion for photography, community and exploration. His “hit list” was a hit with the crowd. For me it resonated on a variety of levels; working hard at what you love, making your own rules, the creative process of iteration, learning, creating space for things to happen and helping others. You can read the inspired list here in full. [...]

22. Business Essentials for Creative Entrepreneurs with Ramit Sethi on creative LIVE | Chase Jarvis Blog - October 17, 2012

[...] your creative work then no worries – total respect – skip this post and jump over to 13 tips for a more creative success (one of my fav posts). But if you do want to earn money or make a living with your art and DONT [...]

23. Business Essentials for Creative Entrepreneurs with Ramit Sethi @ Spotofoto - October 17, 2012

24. Business Essentials for Creative Entrepreneurs with Ramit Sethi | Chase Jarvis | An information resource for Photographic Studio Lighting Kits and Equipment. |  - October 22, 2012

25. The Hit List: 13 Things Crucial For Your Success « studio 64-20 - October 30, 2012

[...] the full article here by Chase Jarvis. Like this:LikeBe the first to like [...]

26. Motivational thoughts | adrian's domain - October 31, 2012

[...] The Hit List: 13 Things Crucial For Your Success [In Any Field] Categories: Self Development Tags: Comments (0) Trackbacks (0) Leave a comment Trackback [...]

27. Weekly Photography Links for October 29-November 4, 2012 - November 6, 2012

[...] The Hit List: 13 Things Crucial For Your Success [In Any Field] [...]

28. Hello world! « For the love of photography - November 23, 2012

[...] start). You will where I come from with this nauthy language if you read this great blog post The Hit List from Chase [...]

29. My favourite internet finds and blog posts of 2012 - Tamara Kuzminski Photography » Tamara Kuzminski Photography - January 22, 2013

[...] The Hit List: 13 Things Crucial For Your Success [In Any Field] by Chase Jarvis Chase had me at #1 – “Get shit done”. My philosophy for 2013. Stop just reading, just planning, just get out there and do it. [...]

30. Soar like an Eagle | live breathe smile - February 8, 2013

31. My favourite internet finds and blog posts of 2012 | The Left-Brained Creative - February 18, 2013

32. Business Essentials for Creative Entrepreneurs with Ramit Sethi | FREE Download All Tutorials,Business Course - April 6, 2014

[...] money with your creative work then no worries – total respect – skip this post and jump over to 13 tips for a more creative success (one of my fav posts). But if you do want to earn money or make a living with your art and DONT [...]

33. A week of goodness » halituli - April 11, 2014

[...] on Chase’s blog is the 13 item list that will make a successful artist, but it really applies to all professions. I love [...]

34. 13 Atitudes Cruciais Para o Seu Sucesso (em qualquer area). | Zona da Fotografia - June 14, 2014

[...]  Texto origina [...]

35. 13 Tips On How To Be A Better Artist - - July 7, 2014

[...] Thanks. Spread the word. Google+ Tevin Keandre Related Itemshow to be a better artist Tevin Keandre [...]

36. Moving Forward | Cookies and Maionese - August 10, 2014

[...] it might be money, for others just doing what they love to do. With that said i really find that this post from Chase can really help us start our path for being successful. If you thing it happens over night, get [...]