Your Photo Data Is Safe…Underwater?

That’s right, you read the headline is correct. Over the weekend a diver, Markus Thompson, found a camera at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean, just off the coast of British Colubmia. He salvaged the camera, poked around a little bit (determining that the camera had been dropped into the water in August 2010), recovered the data off the card and, using Google+, found the owner.

Markus’ original post and updates here. The social web doing some good, a photographer getting back some property along with some thought-to-be-long-lost images… But… I’m guessing that all you really want to know is the brand of the card, right?

Funny, although I don’t blame you. Apparently this was a SanDisk Extreme III but, not that it overly matters…regardless what type of card you use, it’s true that many cards/types/brands can survive total submersion in water… now we just know that at least some of them can hang out in salt water for year(s)

website says:

He declares Lewakowski ensured him the house would certainly be finished no behind December
of 2007.

Pimms is Cap Jaluca’s award winning restaurant and holds its
weight in ambiance and outstanding cuisine amongst the finest in the Caribbean. To take hold of
this gentle wisdom and to remember that if I let go and be held by Mother Nature’s ebb and flow that I too will be brought back to pools of stillness.

The number of expected wedding guests must also be kept in mind including the proportion between relatives and
friends.

Pimms is Cap Jaluca’s award winning restaurant and holds its weight in ambiance and outstanding cuisine amongst the
finest in the Caribbean. Compared to most other
masticating juicers on the market today, this machine has superb looks.
Of course, the traditional winter recipes work well too and the advantage for me of having
a large slow cooker for our small family is that I can double
the quantities and make two meals, one of which I can freeze for another day.

Just the other day, I went home for lunch to take
my dog out for a little walk, and I met a very nice man who was driving around checking out the area where
I live. There are many different ways to enjoy the wonder of a Disney holiday.
If you own a centrifugal juicer and are annoyed by the foaming
and the clogging switch to a masticating juicer.

Addie says:

Inside your private Caribbean beach villa, you can kick up your heels
and relax in the plush surroundings. Compared to most other masticating
juicers on the market today, this machine has superb looks.
In a new media driven world, people rely on search, their friends on social
networks, and other online media channels to hear about things
happening in the digital world.

Not only do the techs in this field require
specialized training and knowledge regular computer and IT
certifications don’t even touch, but the correct equipment
to get your data back safely is extremely expensive.
The first thing that you want to do is disconnect
the CPU box from the power outlet. Big companies like this are not computer professionals,
they are simply technology stores who hire thrid parties to deal with highly technical issues.

cuisine amongst the finest in the Caribbean. To take hold of this gentle wisdom and to remember that if I let go and be
held by Mother Nature’s ebb and flow that I too will be brought back
to pools of stillness. There are a total of nine unique habitats where you
may discover many different types of wildlife
animals and over one hundred species of birds that you may
enjoy seeing while on your Florida vacation.

Search Engine Marketing, SEM, or simply has been one of the
most used and discussed in recent years by the web marketing professionals.
Search engines utilized precise algorithms
to resolve what website will be ranked higher for some meticulous query in
search results. The returns in the end will be worth your investment, if you have the correct search engine optimization service provider working for you.

Guys, you are download witcher 3 going to be interested in gaming can be
the future, it’s not same absolutely. Ever played cupid with any problems as fast as possible.

great issues altogether, you just won a new
reader. What would you recommend about your publish that
you simply made some days ago? Any sure?

stg2bio.co says:

This site was… how do you say it? Relevant!!
Finally I’ve found something that helped me. Thanks a lot!

ddfdddffd says:

I relish, cause I found exactly what I was having a look
for. You’ve ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man.

Have a great day. Bye

I think this is one of the most vital info for me.
And i’m glad reading your article. But want to remark on few general things, The website style is
ideal, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers

I have seen that service fees for online degree professionals tend to be an excellent value. Like a full Bachelor’s Degree in Communication with the University of Phoenix Online consists of 60 credits with $515/credit or $30,900. Also American Intercontinental University Online gives a Bachelors of Business Administration with a entire program requirement of 180 units and a price of $30,560. Online degree learning has made taking your diploma much simpler because you can earn your degree from the comfort in your home and when you finish from work. Thanks for all the other tips I have certainly learned through your website.

บ้าน says:

It’s hard to come by knowledgeable people for this
topic, but you sound like you know what you’re talking about!
Thanks

Simply wish to say your article is as astonishing. The
clearness in your publish is simply great and
that i can suppose you’re a professional on this subject. Well along with your permission allow me to take hold
of your RSS feed to stay updated with imminent post.
Thanks one million and please carry on the rewarding work.

Shanon says:

You can watch streaming reside Television straight on your pc or to
a Tv hooked up to your laptop.

00 Skin Toner A specially developed Ayurvedic face toner enriched with Aloe Vera tones up the skin. Natural method has been in practice for centuries.
They can treat, acne scars, age spots, fine lines, wrinkles, freckles, uneven skin tone, and rough skin.

roba avocat says:

Roba pentru avocat este un produs care corespunde normelor cuprinse in descrierea din Monitorul oficial.

Vrei sa ai Afacere ta din Fonduri Europene? Cu experienta de 5 ani in Accesarea Fondurilor Europene Nerambursabile iti Dezvaluim un Plan Unic si Simplu de
Urmat care iti arata unde sa pasesti si cum depasesti
Obstacolele Nenzurate din Institutiile Statului

Philomena says:

You really make it seem so easy along with your presentation however I
find this matter to be actually something that I think I’d never
understand. It sort of feels too complex and very broad for me.
I’m looking ahead for your subsequent publish, I will attempt to get the cling of it!

I do not even know how I finished up right here,
but I thought this submit used to be great. I do not know
who you might be however definitely you’re going to a famous
blogger if you happen to aren’t already.
Cheers!

It’s an awesome paragraph in favor of all the internet users; they will get benefit from it I am sure.

Ferencz says:

Hey there I am so happy I found your site, I really found you by error, while I was searching on Google for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say kudos for a marvelous post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don

Hey there, You’ve done a fantastic job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I’m sure they will be benefited from this website.

“He needs to become the american footbal qb. He started in the category burning, Although your ex are you though made high school variety component. Humans did not are able to respond to it.

When I initially commented I seem to have clicked on the
-Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I
get four emails with the exact same comment. There has to
be a means you are able to remove me from that
service? Thanks a lot!

Some treadmills have uniform shock absorption through the entire track, but
others have variable cushioning. People who will be providing personal
facts about these ‘too good to get true offers,’ soon find plastic
card and other online fraud problems in addition to identity theft.

Such letters could be used for claiming medical services, insurance, contributing to stolen care.

Mark Fleury says:

With the latest study from PEW Research stating that 95%
of teens have access to the Internet, 80% of kids have cell phones and 48% have
data plans, providing a safe cyber-space
should be a priority for all parents. A VPN creates an encrypted connection to a third-party server, and all your Internet traffic is routed through
that server. Efficiency: Many carriers provide multiple receive emails, so your fax
messages are automatically delivered to whomever you intend.

Each new age brought the criminal element forward with it.
However Yahoo marketing and other pay per click search engines offer some
excellent traffic at a more reasonable price. You can download Avast Free Antivirus for free from the Avast website.

With the latest study from PEW Research stating that 95% of teens have access to the Internet, 80% of kids
have cell phones and 48% have data plans, providing a safe cyber-space should be a priority for all parents.
As the culture of internet slang grew, it took on new origins from pop culture or video games and television.
It’s probably some mix of the two, so I have to give him props for not going too
far in either direction.

Howdy! I just would like to offer you a big thumbs up for the
excellent information you have got right here
on this post. I will be returning to your site for more soon.

Hi, Neat post. There is a problem with your web site in internet explorer,
would check this… IE still is the market leader and a large portion of people will miss your magnificent writing due to this problem.

Hola! I’ve been following your web site for a long time now and finally got the bravery to
go ahead and give you a shout out from Dallas Texas! Just wanted to say keep up the
great work!

It’s an remarkable post for all the web users; they will take advantage from it I am sure.

ścian says:

Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I’m inspired!
Very useful information specially the closing phase :) I deal with such info a lot.
I used to be looking for this certain info for a long time.
Thank you and best of luck.

scian says:

Thanks to my father who told me concerning this web site, this webpage is actually awesome.

Here at KicksCollect, we’re dedicated to helping you improve every aspect of your game and have the perfect system to do just that: Field Tested – an exclusive, online rating system that gives you position-specific product reviews from elite athletes in your sport and position. Field Tested will help you gain that competitive edge by matching your position and playing style with the perfect gear for your game. You can also test the newest, most technically advanced products yourself and read unbiased product reviews from other athletes in your sport.

Recently, Rsorder launched their creadits program and become more and more popular because of the Christmas coming.
This free app is optimized for i – Phone 5 and is compatible with i – Phone, i – Pad and
i – Pod Touch. There are two kinds of clothing items that are very unique
in there own way.

Howdy! Quick question that’s totally off topic.

Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly?
My website looks weird when browsing from my iphone. I’m trying to find a theme or plugin that might be
able to resolve this problem. If you have any suggestions, please share.
Thank you!

That is crazy! I can believe it lasted in salt water for that long. The one thing I will say is that FILM wouldn’t of lasted that long! lol

Shelagh says:

I sell cameras and big time recommend Sandisk Cards as they say right on the packaging that they are more durable. I noticed that is was a Rebal XS so while it could be a Sandisk Extreme, it wouldn’t be an extreme III as that would mean it was a compact flash card and the XS uses SD. But that aside, that is remarkable that images were saved.

you have a abundant blog here! would you comparable to compose a number of invite posts on my blog?

Alva Marandi says:

Thanks a lot for sharing this post. Definitely people will find this as very helpful.

adrian says:

weeeewww… how did you find it… it’s an epic

foundAtypo says:

British “Columbia” :)

I wonder if the owner had the extended warranty on the Canon. ;)

Chris says:

So wild! Hope the photos on the card are worth keeping.

David G. says:

Wow. Great story, thanks for sharing!

Mandy says:

Great story, can’t believe he managed to find the owner on Google+ just shows the power of social media!

Poor camera…

Man, if that was one of my cameras it would be up on the wall/a stand as a piece of art, it looks totally cool….. although, if it was my camera, I would be horrified to have done that to it LOL.

Haha, great photo’s!

mark says:

Last week in Maui I flooded a water housing with a 60d, the card I was using was a Lexar platinum II 32gb. I was able to retrieve the data on my clients mac book pro a few hours after flooding. When I got home to Oahu a few days later the card was unreadable, and green stuff was coming out of it. Maybe only the SanDisk are water proof.

I can vouch for this story…a good buddy of mine had his (almost) brand new Canon 7D take a swim last July, only he dove in to retrieve it immediately. Card worked like a charm afterwards, too bad his camera was immediately toasted.

mat g. says:

Chase,

A great story indeed! I can vouch for this as I sent a card through the washing machine with wedding images on it! When I found the card, I simply let it dry overnight and Voila! the images were there in the morning!

Bill says:

Interesting find! I had a similar experience in 2005: we upset our canoe in freezing water on a small river far in the back country of a Canadian national park. The camera (along with other stuff) was lost and under fresh water for two years. Camera destroyed but SanDisk card still had the photos. It was kind of eerie to see the photos taken just before we tipped. Here’s one website that reported the find:

brec says:

Chase, I’m so glad you picked the right sponsor and client.

stanchung says:

Sandisk ‘delighting you as well’? haha
Good to know, I can wash them if they get grubby. :-)

I have 2 SD’s that are damaged physically with the lock lever dropping out.
Glued some plastic there in place.

Ana GR says:

I washed a card in the washing machine, 30º, 1 1/2 hours, and then on to the drier for 1 1/2 hours. The pictures were there, the card was clean. It was not intentional, of course.

NorthernPixels says:

I’ve put my USB stick through the wash on three separate occasions and it’s still working wonderfully. Thank heavens for flash memory

tolits says:

can the owner post some photos…

John says:

Amazing. SanDisk is the way to go into my camera.

Patrick says:

Now I know what to say next time someone asks why I choose Canon or why I picked Sandisk cards. :)

Dotcompals says:

Actually the real owner is yet to be found.

Haha, strange but true :D Really cool how it survived that!

fstopme says:

I’ve actually washed (and in some cases dried) CF cards, SDs, and the odd flash drive and have always been able to read my data. These cards and flash units are more robust than they look.

rudy says:

some great sentence structure in the comments – wow!

Emily says:

This isn’t Facebook, and we aren’t 14 yrs. old. Haha.

JKA says:

There’s this camera that I read about earlier this year. Don’t know if its the same article but definitely the same camera.
It was lost for 4 years at sea. All the plastic had eroded away and all that was left was the metal body and sd card which still worked! The man that found it posted the pictures on flickr.com to try and find it’s owner.

Henning Ras says:

Rather put any electric stuff like iPhone or Black Berry or camera in bag with RICE and silicon gel. It will remove the dampness and will not harm the circuits while in action.
Salt causing corrosion while taking the dampness away and then you can just as well through the camera or iPhone, Black Berry etc away…

tardy says:

hilarious. and crazy

Steve says:

To drive water out of electrical items. Put it in a sealed container of salt. Worked after my iPhone went in the bath.

Moses says:

you can also put it in rice!

Cameron says:

I dropped my Pentax Optio 43WR in the Kongakut River on day 3 of a 15 day pack rafting trip. The river is in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge of Alaska and dumps into the Arctic Ocean. I used it mostly for my adventure video podcast. If anyone is up there and sees it, let me know. More on that trip: http://offyonder.com/2010/06/arctic-rafting/ Thanks. ;)

Hello, i’m not very overcome instead this recovery…. i compactflash in the washingmachine is not really a problem. This is what i had the chance to realirze, after washing a compactflash with 60 degrees….

Dennis says:

The problem is not really the water, it’s the combination of water and air/oxygen – that’s what’s killing it. So when you drowned your cards … don’t try to try them just with warm air. Clean it (e.g. with alcohol or destilled water) and surround it with silica gel (at least that is what I would do) – and if those date were important, then for god’s damn sake take it as fast as you can to a pro! It’s a matter of hours and not days. If that sea water dries on the electronics it might make it all corrode and that means “bye bye date”.

Philipp says:

The owner should better clean the sensor before using the camera again ;)

Adam says:

Just found it very funny that although you and he mention the power of Google+, as of right now there are only 1 Google+ share and 31 Facebook share and likes…. Social is social, right?

Andreas says:

Amazing how tough those small SD cards can be! :D

doug says:

Great story, that’s pretty impressive. I’ve run cards through the washer and dryer and recovered images. Cards even cheap ones are amazingly tough.