A Polaroid A Day for 6,000 Days [18 years!]

NYC Photographer Jamie Livingston shot a Polaroid photo everyday for 6,000 days, or, roughly, 18 years. The first shot was of his girlfriend at the time on March 13, 1979.

His last photo was on his deathbed, dying of cancer on October 25, 1997.

And so I ask you, how strong is YOUR commitment to a creative life?
Enough said.

Here’s the site where most of the images are scanned in…

[Thanks Lee.(via this...)]

43 Responses to A Polaroid A Day for 6,000 Days [18 years!]

1. David lee December 9, 2011 at 10:50 am #

Oh my goodness this is and could be any one of us we just don’t know yet!

2. Gary Young December 9, 2011 at 11:15 am #

Wow this is powerful in a strange kind of way. To be that committed to something for that long is just amazing and to take a photo on your death bed is just that much more powerful. Thanks for sharing this.

3. Depressing December 9, 2011 at 11:30 am #

Depressing

4. jose element December 9, 2011 at 11:55 am #

Inspiring.

5. Luis Bertos December 9, 2011 at 12:03 pm #

He demonstrated his enthusiasm for life. Surely he intended to finish with his death. Unfortunately the project was probably shorter than he expected. The feelings and art always go together hand in hand

6. Mervan Ayberk December 9, 2011 at 12:12 pm #

Amazing.

Wish the story didnt end that way.. Life has many sad elements in it.. These are the kind of strong artists that have the courage to portray such sadness which helps others to remember what life is all about and while we have the chance, we should make the most of our good, happy and healthy times with our loved ones.

7. Coop December 9, 2011 at 1:05 pm #

Powerful reminder…

8. Lee Jonathon December 9, 2011 at 2:21 pm #

More than commitment, Jamie’s passion is unquestionable!
    Truly inspirational for most of us who become lost in the daily grind.

9. Mike Russell December 9, 2011 at 4:04 pm #

Yeah, I stumbled across that a few months ago. Powerful!

10. Jonathan Davis December 9, 2011 at 4:31 pm #

I think that this is very remarkable that someone was so dedicated to taking pictures every day for 6,000 days. I am curious to anyone that reads this blog if they have done any project such as 365 or 52 weeks. I have always wanted to try something of the sort but often times have such high expectations of myself.

11. Pamela December 9, 2011 at 6:49 pm #

WOW, I love this but I always start something then my head wanders off and I forget about the first project. I have about 100 in my head at any one time #needtostopprocrastinating!

12. Aperture Presets December 9, 2011 at 11:40 pm #

I would have to set a reminder everyday on my phone and as soon as it went off snap a shot with the phone that was already in my hand .. who am I kidding I would probably turn the reminder off within a few days or the first time it went off in the middle of a shoot. 6000 days is amazing

13. Praveen December 10, 2011 at 6:38 am #

Incredibly Powerful

14. DanielKphoto December 10, 2011 at 9:00 am #

Wow, that was one very cool guy. Didn’t deserve to die that way, may he rest in peace.

15. Rahim December 10, 2011 at 11:58 am #

Incredible. It reminds me of the hip-hop producer J.Dilla dying of lupus completing an album on his death bed. It’s not the product thats the passion its the allowing the art to flow through you that is LIFE…

16. Mikeyiso December 10, 2011 at 2:52 pm #

Wow. He took his first photo in 1979, and his last in 1997. Just the last to two digits reversed. Interesting.

17. Vinoth Varatharajan December 10, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

My wife left me with my daughter. Divorced. Carbon copy of Zack Arias. Nuff’ said.

18. Mike Collister December 10, 2011 at 4:23 pm #

Jamie’s consistent and long term dedication to this project is inspirational, I am sure he would have been proud of this work. He began taking his polaroids the year I was born – I enjoyed seeing my time through anthers perspective.

19. John Barwood December 10, 2011 at 6:20 pm #

Still getting my head around this…..thought provoking

20. Eric Calabros December 11, 2011 at 9:03 am #

such creative creature cant die. nobody dies. we just jump to another level of living.
    see you there Jamie

21. John December 12, 2011 at 1:33 am #

Determination to art and creativity no matter whats the situation.

22. Belinda McCarthy December 12, 2011 at 2:55 am #

Just wow. I’m amazed, impressed and also saddened by the last image, of course. What an incredible historical document to leave behind.

I tried doing the ‘image a day’ thing a few years back and it was actually the creativity issue which got to me. Every image, every day had to be, as far as I was concerned, better than the day before, and it ends up being a rod for your own back that you can’t possibly live up to. If you approach it from a purely documentary angle then I’m sure it would be a whole lot easier, but unfortunately I got caught up in the pressure to keep on impressing myself. Not a good idea.

23. Moritz December 12, 2011 at 4:33 am #

i did it for a year on my iphone… somehow i was glad when it was over, looking for an opportunity every day was sometimes not easy but when it was over the first few weeks felt strange, going onto the underground without looking what could be the photo of the day or so on…

guess after a while its an addiction

24. Jai Catalano December 20, 2011 at 5:06 pm #

What a great beginning and ending photo for this project. I.N.S.P.I.R.A.T.I.O.N

25. João Almeida December 21, 2011 at 8:02 am #

And nowadays people think a “photo a day for a year” is incredibily long…

26. piese auto online December 22, 2011 at 1:56 pm #

sad ending for the artist…

27. warcraft fishing quests February 26, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

Everything composed was very logical. However, what about this? suppose you added a little content? I ain’t suggesting your information is not good, but what if you added a title that makes people want more? I mean A Photo A Day for 6,000 Days – Jamie Livingston | Chase Jarvis Blog is kinda vanilla. You ought to glance at Yahoo’s front page and watch how they create article titles to grab people to open the links. You might add a video or a picture or two to grab people interested about what you’ve got to say. Just my opinion, it could make your blog a little bit more interesting.

28. Elanor Lighty September 21, 2014 at 1:42 pm #

Alege elegant si simplu, alege online! Rochii Online iti aduce cele mai noi colectii de rochii din Marea Britanie. Indiferent daca esti in cautare de: Rochii de Ocazie, Rochii Club, Rochii de Vara 2012 sau Rochii Office Rochii Online este locul potrivit. Preturi mici si calitate maxima, numai pe RochiiOnline.me. Reduceri la doar un click distanta. Alege eficient si elegant!

29. Jorinscay@outlook.com October 10, 2014 at 5:28 am #

This web site is simply wonderful, the details is upgraded and also clear. I am going to certainly visit this internet site once more. I’m sorry if my English isn’t really satisfactory, i’m a Spanish foreign language presenter, sorry pertaining to that. Keep up with the good work:-RRB-.

30. Jerry Gavagan October 11, 2014 at 10:11 pm #

Great read!, I love reading about diet. Loved the tip rainey just made. Its so difficult to find the right product for me. I’ve been looking now for 3 weeks! LOL Just want to let you all know I will make my goal one way or another. I promise you that! Wish me luck! :)

31. pretos foder brancas October 14, 2014 at 1:48 pm #

Wow, incredible weblog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging look simple. The overall appear of your web site is great, as effectively as the content! xrumer

32. chatta October 16, 2014 at 12:54 pm #

Great write-up, I am regular visitor of one’s blog, maintain up the nice operate, and It’s going to be a regular visitor for a lengthy time.

33. Tawnya October 17, 2014 at 7:17 pm #

I get pleasure from, result in I foubd exactgly
    what I wwas looing for. You’ve ejded myy 4 day long hunt!
    God Bless you man. Have a greatt day. Bye

34. zxtofficial October 20, 2014 at 12:00 am #

Glad to be one of the visitors on this awe inspiring internet website : D.

35. daftar harga hp October 24, 2014 at 5:35 am #

Thanks for all your valuable efforts on this web site. My mom enjoys getting into internet research and it’s really easy to understand why. A number of us learn all regarding the compelling way you convey great techniques by means of your web blog and in addition welcome contribution from other individuals about this area of interest then our favorite simple princess is actually being taught so much. Take advantage of the remaining portion of the year. You have been doing a useful job.

1. Enough Said | CJ Kern Photography | A New Jersey based Portrait, Event and Fine Art Photographer - December 10, 2011

[...] originally heard about the photographs while reading Chase Jarvis’ Blog, where Chase asked the question ‘How strong is YOUR commitment to a creative life? Enough [...]

2. 1 | pringaling - December 10, 2011

[...] Inspiration: http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2011/12/a-polaroid-a-day-for-6000-days-18-years/ [...]

3. 6.000 fotos durante 6.000 días, de Jamie Livingston | Desenfocando.com - December 12, 2011

[...] en blog.chasejarvis.com | A Polaroid A Day for 6,000 Days [18 years!] Compartir:PrintEmail Esta entrada ha sido escrita en Fotógrafos por Jose Antonio. Guarda el link [...]

4. A Photo A Day for 6,000 Days – Jamie Livingston « turnings :: daniel berlinger - December 26, 2011

[...] a comment » A Photo A Day for 6,000 Days – Jamie Livingston | Chase Jarvis Blog: NYC Photographer Jamie Livingston shot a Polaroid photo everyday for 6,000 days, or, roughly, 18 [...]

5. Why, as a professional photographer, I can't do 'Photo a Day' | Belinda McCarthy Photography - January 9, 2012

[...] happening in the professional photography market, but also to pick up on interesting stories. This one, as featured on the Chase Jarvis blog a while back, really tugged at my heart strings. It was centred around the story of New York [...]

6. A Polaroid a Day for 18 years! | Daily Puffin - January 16, 2012

[...] Chase Jarvis: NYC Photographer Jamie Livingston shot a Polaroid photo everyday for 6,000 days, or, roughly, 18 years. The first shot was of his girlfriend at the time on March 13, 1979. His last photo was on his deathbed, dying of cancer on October 25, 1997. [...]

7. A Polaroid a Day for 18 years! | JTEEZY - January 22, 2012