New Work: REI Ski & Snowboard 30-Second Spot

VERY stoked to finally share some of my latest commercial director work that’s playing all over your TV’s here in the USA. It’s the new 30 second broadcast TV spot for that great outdoor brand, REI.

Remember all these posts back in March, chronicling the day by day shooting of a video-and-print campaign-all-in-one shoot?…working through some curveball weather challenges? Well, this spot here is one of the fruits of that labor.

As you can see, our patience persevered on the weather. Huge thanks to the entire cast & crew that worked so hard to pull this off. I’m humbly grateful. A massive team effort, with a ton of sweat and laughs, waaaay up at 12,000 feet. And you might even recognize the fresh bed of music we licensed…thanks to our talented compadres from We Are Augustines.

Lemme know what you think of the spot [update: and of course feel free to ask any questions...] and stand by for a behind-the-scenes RAW video coming soon that’ll highlight how we snagged the the most important shots using cranes, jibs, steadicams, and a very special helicopter.

41 Responses to New Work: REI Ski & Snowboard 30-Second Spot

1. Matt Harvey December 15, 2011 at 9:57 am #

Chase,

Funny, I saw this ad the other day (during Sunday Night Football, I think) and thought, “Damn, that’s the most spot-on ‘friends ski and snowboard’ ad I’ve seen in a while.” They’re all usually so corny and off-mark.

Figures you were behind it. Great work!

Matt.

2. Leo December 15, 2011 at 9:58 am #

Well done Chase! I love it!

3. Ricardo Tellez Giron December 15, 2011 at 10:00 am #

Chase,

You are an inspiration hermano!

Cheers from San Francisco,

Ricardo

4. George Q December 15, 2011 at 10:00 am #

I recognized your signature the first time I saw the commercial on TV. Great work as always!

5. J Sandifer December 15, 2011 at 10:09 am #

Good stuff sir! Nice feel and of course love that they hiked to some nice private stash :) Which…have to say looked a little to easy!

6. Luna Media Studios December 15, 2011 at 10:14 am #

Chase, what a beautiful job.
    thks for being such a great inspiration.
    Juan Manuel

7. stephen December 15, 2011 at 10:26 am #

nice job

8. Ron Adair December 15, 2011 at 10:30 am #

Seems like TV ads all suck these days. Not this one. Great work, Chase.

9. Matt December 15, 2011 at 10:31 am #

I love the direction of these recent REI commercials. That’s awesome you & your team are a huge part of that! Keep it up!

10. Joshua Cripps December 15, 2011 at 11:15 am #

Nice work, Chase! I read your day-to-day blog posts with much interest. Nice to see some of the final results.

11. Douglas December 15, 2011 at 12:00 pm #

recognized the music, assumed it must have been your work. Very nice.

12. Rick Lewis December 15, 2011 at 12:01 pm #

Well, the T.V. spot has not been aired here in Florida…LOL…no surprise there. This is the first time I’ve seen it. Well don, but not over done, if you know what I mean. I love the visuals!

13. Nick December 15, 2011 at 12:01 pm #

I suppose it’s a requirement for a 30 second spot but there are so many cuts in this that it’s a bit disorienting. It’s still nice, though.

14. marcus December 15, 2011 at 12:37 pm #

About a month ago I was working at home with the TV on in the background and suddenly I’m hearing “Chapel Song” by We Are Augustines. I hadn’t really been paying attention before, but that caught my ear and I turned around to see an REI commercial featuring snow boarders. My first thought, “I wonder if that’s what chase was working on last spring…” You’re finger prints were all over this one.

15. Mike December 15, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

This is some great work Chase. Music was great, the angles were nice, and more than anything it made me want to go skiing with my friends. My only preference with a commercial that short is that there would be fewer cut scenes so I could appreciate the beauty of each scene. Just a thought, but honestly you do fantastic work and I’m a big fan.

16. Cody Min December 15, 2011 at 2:08 pm #

So fresh. I’m such a fan of this. Was this shot on the D7000? Also, how much post-image work did you do? (color correction, sharpening, etc)

17. Jeremy December 15, 2011 at 5:16 pm #

Don’t any of you guys remember the blog posts that Chase did while he was shooting this? Click the “all these posts back in March” link to fully appreciate the work that went into this.

Great work Chase, thanks for sharing.

18. Carl D December 15, 2011 at 5:46 pm #

Hey Chast

Ha . you need to get some of those folks some skins. :)

Congrats, and nice work, as usual.

Cheers

Carl

19. Carl D December 15, 2011 at 5:46 pm #

whoops .. chase, sorry.

20. John Busch December 15, 2011 at 6:53 pm #

That looks great. Well directed. These kind of commercials are the one you don’t mind to see it all over again. It will be great to see the ‘behind the scene’ video.

21. Pat December 15, 2011 at 8:15 pm #

i’d be interested to hear what you think about this 30 sec ad from TNF…

22. joop December 16, 2011 at 12:24 am #

Got any stills to show us?

23. Moritz December 16, 2011 at 6:09 am #

really love the helicopter work… gives a great feel to it and works very well. the close up of someone eating a gum, though very natural (and quite american ;) ) is a scene i thought wasn’t needed.
    also shame that you cant see that much of the sunset as the sky and colours look amazing.
    i think as an ad it stands out from the crowd, great camera work and tells you indirectly what you are missing out if you dont go and buy your ski’s/ snowboard

moritz

and follow me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/moritzstragholzphotography

24. Brian December 16, 2011 at 9:52 am #

Chase,
    I love your work, but at the risk of being called a troll, this probably isn’t my favorite. The quality of the photography is gorgeous, but the speed of the cuts really put me off. It cut so quickly, jumping back and forth over the 180 line that I actually had to look away from the video because it made me a little ill. I’m a little shocked to say this because, in addition to being a photographer I’m a write in Hollywood and no stranger to quick, MTV style editing. But in this case, it was too quick and disjointed for me to stick with. I apologize if the critique is unwelcome — I am a huge fan of your work and a faithful follower of your blog.
    Best Regards,
    Brian

25. Mike Collister December 16, 2011 at 2:22 pm #

Nice images, angles and tunes. Quality TV ads show respect to the viewer.

26. Tim Roper December 16, 2011 at 10:08 pm #

Cool! When I saw that on TV I thought, “I wonder if that’s the one Chase did in Telluride with all the weather problems?” Turned out great.

27. Caleb December 17, 2011 at 1:36 pm #

This commercial is in heavy rotation on my Hulu. How cool. :)

28. MrL December 18, 2011 at 3:30 am #

The beginning is not beliavable – during a beatiful day, there are only four people getting off a chairlift and noone is close to them; and they walk a human made trail; not very believable

29. René December 18, 2011 at 10:25 pm #

“The Art of Flight” is everywhere, even in Chase Jarvis Ads :) )

30. David Morrison December 19, 2011 at 11:35 am #

Visuals and edit are fantastic! What throws me off is the voiceover. When she says, “February third” her inflection makes it sound like she’s going to chronicle a story from her adventure diary,but then her inflection changes. It’s a weird switch from sentence one to two and takes me out. I can’t figure out why she even has to say “February third.” It doesn’t seem relevant.
    Anyways.
    Great production! I clearly remember following you through the events as they happened and am stoked to see the result.

31. Jerry Ross December 19, 2011 at 6:06 pm #

Ah, Telluride! Awesome work! As a former Coloradan I know it is one of the unfriendliness places to work from the altitude to constantly changing weather. Great, great work. I’ve seen it a couple of dozen times on Hulu already. Besides admiring the work, it makes me homesick for Colorado. Time to hit the slopes!

32. DanielKphoto December 21, 2011 at 7:12 am #

Very very very good job Chase, love this commercial, just like your others!

33. Odette December 22, 2011 at 4:37 pm #

Great ad, even better song choice. If not for the ad I would not be on this We Are Augustines high I’m on right now. You’re doing great things. Thanks.

34. bob December 24, 2011 at 1:40 pm #

Just curious where you shot it . . . and did you have anything to do with the other REI commercial––the guys under the rock, waiting out the rain. The Rock looks very familiar. Thanks. bob

• chase jarvis December 24, 2011 at 2:12 pm #

this was shot in telluride colorado in march. i didn’t write or direct the one under the rock from last year or 2 years ago. The rock is in BC canada I think…

35. 移動電源 June 22, 2013 at 12:27 pm #

I’ll right away grasp your rss feed as I can not find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter services. Do you’ve any? Please allow me know to ensure that I might subscribe. Thanks.

36. 12000mah行動電源 June 22, 2013 at 12:29 pm #

This is the correct blog for anyone who desires to act out out about this topic. You observe so often its most effortful to current with you (not that I real would want…HaHa). You certainly put a brand new twirl on the substance thats been holographic virtually for eld. Fastidious congest, only extraordinary!

37. 手機行動電源 June 22, 2013 at 12:30 pm #

Hey would you thoughts letting me know which webhost you’re utilizing? I’ve loaded your blog in 3 various internet browsers and I must say this blog loads a great deal quicker then most. Can you recommend a great hosting provider at a reasonable price? Many thanks, I appreciate it!

1. chase jarvis RAW: Behind-the-scenes RC helicopter on REI commercial | Chase Jarvis Blog - December 21, 2011

[...] week when I posted the broadcast commercial for REI that I recently directed, I promised a behind-the-scenes vid. So here ’tis — the focus [...]

2. chasejarvis RAW: Flying High In Telluride [BTS Video on REI Commercial] | Jomalo - December 21, 2011

[...] week when I posted the broadcast commercial for REI that I recently directed, I promised a behind-the-scenes vid. So here ’tis — the focus here on [...]

3. Follow Along With Our Week-long Campaign Photoshoot For Aspen/Snowmass | Chase Jarvis Blog - March 4, 2012

[...] of a Photoshoot” during an REI campaign – capturing advertising stills and shooting this broadcast commercial. Based on volume of people who tuned in and the feedback you sent my way – it was a success [...]