Get Schooled: Best Biz Advice for Creatives with Ramit Sethi [chasejarvis LIVE re-watch]

If you weren’t one of the 25,000+ people who watched this show on the day it was broadcast or if you couldn’t take notes fast enough and need to see it again, we rallied and pulled together a YouTube re-watch for you & your comrades… I was lucky enough to host business guru and #1 Amazon and New York Times Best-Selling author Ramit Sethi for a hard-hitting, no BS chasejarvis LIVE focused on the the thing that keeps most artists/creative minds down…it’s the BUSINESS side of being a creative…for photographers, filmmakers, video peeps, designers…anything creative. Check it out.
—–
UPDATE: Ramit was just featured in a mammoth, 6 page spread in Fortune Magazine here…check it out.
————

Ramit also created a special landing page on his site for #cjLIVE viewers with a video to get you up to speed on some of his techniques and other products aimed to help you in biz. Check him out on here on Twitter too.

asay.com.tr says:

Hi there, just wanted to say, I loved this blog post. It was inspiring. Keep on posting!

Google sucks says:

Many thanks for penning this fabulous publish..Cherished your articles or blog posts. Remember to do maintain writing

This post is priceless. When can I find out more?| hochzeitsfotos München wedding photos munich http://www.fotostudioaugenblicke.de

trading says:

Attractive component of content. I just stumbled upon your site and in accession capital to assert that I get actually enjoyed account your weblog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing on your augment or even I fulfillment you get admission to constantly quickly.|

sw says:

I saw this video via Ramit Sethi’s recent “share.”

You recommend showing your value to a potential client by creating comps for them (ex. taking their layout and putting your photos into it). How do you protect yourself and your photos?

I am a graphic designer, and I have done this — take their photo and text and create a good layout and put it side by side with their bad one

However I’ve gotten screwed this way. The potential client doesn’t hire me but steals my layout and uses it without paying me. Should I copyright my comp before meeting with potential clients? Copyright takes awhile to go through, I’m not sure how workable that would be. And since the photos aren’t mine I’m not sure I can copyright these comps. But I’m sick of having my work stolen in this fashion.

Shawn says:

Chase,

You rock. Thanks for always putting out such awesome stuff!

I never thought about setting myself apart, I never thought about much of this stuff you are talking about- I was to busy working and creating.

Gene Essel says:

I’m crying while watching this video. I have been going at my photography business all wrong.

Tom Judge says:

Chase and Ramit – inspiring work – great interview – i have watched it twice and forced my wife to watch it (and she appreciate your knowledge), Thanks for sharing – I went straight out and bought Ramit’s book – much more information in the book that will help fellow photographers in their business and in their day to day finances.

I have been a fan of the Chase Jarvis business model for some years now, and in parallel reading Timothy Ferris’ work which seems similar to Ramit’s – to see the two merging is so relevant to me in my business – i felt compelled to express my Thanks.

I am putting it in to practice this afternoon with a meeting with a new client! Wish me and my Briefcase luck!

Ps – Chase – automate your time and write a book!

Tom Judge

joey boy says:

It is never for FREE if you love what you are doing. You always get nourishment from doing what you love.

I worked for $1,000 a month + all travel payed, for 4 years. I was sent to 40 countries and dozens of US states. I lived at home with my mom.

In that 4 years I developed enough confidence to get me where I am at today.

I now have about 2 clients a year, profit $300,000 after all expenses. Only work when I want too. I never snap a shot that is not my own, I never thought about money. I have shot in 70 countries.

In my spare time, I have published two books, both in publication/print for more than 5 years. Directed 3 feature films and countless TV shows.

I did make sure that I genuinely got along with people, there are long hours, days, weeks, months that YOU need to spend with people. Chase hit that on the nail.

Michael says:

I watched the LIVE, and have since watched this video several times. Does anyone have a link or been told where to find the scripts? I am very interested. I would love to have the scripts… such as, ‘forward-able emails’ Ramit mentioned!
Thank you Chase and Ramit for this interview and the hard work you both put in!
-Michael

Chase says:

we don’t publish scripts, but a downloadable audio track is available from my iTunes audiocast. You can probably listen to that or have it transcribed if you’re hungry for the details… Happy 2012.

mike gorga says:

I think MICHAEL meant the PHONE SCRIPTS Ramit mentioned he would make available. I watched this video today, January 17, 2012 and searched your site and his for the email-able phone scripts which he recommended using to get “coffee meetings”.

Those would be very helpful indeed.

I don’t believe MICHAEL meant a transcript of the show itself.

Mike

Mal says:

Hi Chase

Thanks for your great show!

Any chance this video could be added to your itunes video are? Its a little too long for this working mama to watch online. I’d love to be able to watch on my phone in chunks :-)

Cheers!

joey boy says:

Now I understand why you attacked Annie L.

Keep the great blog going!

Joel Duncan says:

Excellent interview! This video comes at the perfect time since I have been thinking a lot about the ‘business’ of photography and art. I will be implementing many of the ideas/theories that you have both discussed in the video, then see where it leads me. My mission is to sell my first 3 photos in January of 2012. Like most people, I think that there was a lot of information in the session, so I will have to watch it a second time. Once I implement some of the discussed strategies, I will leave feedback here to let you know how they turned out. Keep the great content coming.

Bip says:

Great ideas in this interview for everyone in any profession.

Bip

Sam Fifer says:

Chase, you have no worries about eating your shorts! I have watched this many times and am still finding useful nuggets. Great job with this one!

Chris Nemes says:

I thought I was the only one leaving the promoting part in the background.

It is, I believe, a fine line between appearing cocky and arrogant and being ignorant about it and hoping others will find you and take you out of your closet. This discussion put things in perspective.
Thanks Chase and thank you Ramit!

Ilhan Kudeki says:

Amazing talk! I have taken a few pages of notes on this and you better believe I’m going to review them thoroughly and put them to use! Ramit’s mindset is such a powerful one — no nonsense, all tactics that work, based on sound psychology. Great stuff Chase — thank you both!