If you weren’t one of the 25,000+ people who watched this show on the day it was broadcast or if you couldn’t take notes fast enough and need to see it again, we rallied and pulled together a YouTube re-watch for you & your comrades… I was lucky enough to host business guru and #1 Amazon and New York Times Best-Selling author Ramit Sethi for a hard-hitting, no BS chasejarvis LIVE focused on the the thing that keeps most artists/creative minds down…it’s the BUSINESS side of being a creative…for photographers, filmmakers, video peeps, designers…anything creative. Check it out.
—–
UPDATE: Ramit was just featured in a mammoth, 6 page spread in Fortune Magazine here…check it out.
————

Ramit also created a special landing page on his site for #cjLIVE viewers with a video to get you up to speed on some of his techniques and other products aimed to help you in biz. Check him out on here on Twitter too.

29 Responses to Get Schooled: Best Biz Advice for Creatives with Ramit Sethi [chasejarvis LIVE re-watch]

1. Ilhan Kudeki December 22, 2011 at 7:15 pm #

Amazing talk! I have taken a few pages of notes on this and you better believe I’m going to review them thoroughly and put them to use! Ramit’s mindset is such a powerful one — no nonsense, all tactics that work, based on sound psychology. Great stuff Chase — thank you both!

2. Chris Nemes December 22, 2011 at 9:19 pm #

I thought I was the only one leaving the promoting part in the background.

It is, I believe, a fine line between appearing cocky and arrogant and being ignorant about it and hoping others will find you and take you out of your closet. This discussion put things in perspective.
    Thanks Chase and thank you Ramit!

3. Sam Fifer December 23, 2011 at 7:49 am #

Chase, you have no worries about eating your shorts! I have watched this many times and am still finding useful nuggets. Great job with this one!

4. Bip December 27, 2011 at 10:28 am #

Great ideas in this interview for everyone in any profession.

Bip

5. Joel Duncan December 28, 2011 at 7:16 pm #

Excellent interview! This video comes at the perfect time since I have been thinking a lot about the ‘business’ of photography and art. I will be implementing many of the ideas/theories that you have both discussed in the video, then see where it leads me. My mission is to sell my first 3 photos in January of 2012. Like most people, I think that there was a lot of information in the session, so I will have to watch it a second time. Once I implement some of the discussed strategies, I will leave feedback here to let you know how they turned out. Keep the great content coming.

6. joey boy December 31, 2011 at 12:59 am #

Now I understand why you attacked Annie L.

Keep the great blog going!

7. Michael December 31, 2011 at 8:24 am #

I watched the LIVE, and have since watched this video several times. Does anyone have a link or been told where to find the scripts? I am very interested. I would love to have the scripts… such as, ‘forward-able emails’ Ramit mentioned!
    Thank you Chase and Ramit for this interview and the hard work you both put in!
    -Michael

• Chase December 31, 2011 at 11:08 am #

we don’t publish scripts, but a downloadable audio track is available from my iTunes audiocast. You can probably listen to that or have it transcribed if you’re hungry for the details… Happy 2012.

• mike gorga January 17, 2012 at 5:39 pm #

I think MICHAEL meant the PHONE SCRIPTS Ramit mentioned he would make available. I watched this video today, January 17, 2012 and searched your site and his for the email-able phone scripts which he recommended using to get “coffee meetings”.

Those would be very helpful indeed.

I don’t believe MICHAEL meant a transcript of the show itself.

Mike

• Mal March 8, 2012 at 7:22 am #

Hi Chase

Thanks for your great show!

Any chance this video could be added to your itunes video are? Its a little too long for this working mama to watch online. I’d love to be able to watch on my phone in chunks :-)

Cheers!

8. joey boy December 31, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

It is never for FREE if you love what you are doing. You always get nourishment from doing what you love.

I worked for $1,000 a month + all travel payed, for 4 years. I was sent to 40 countries and dozens of US states. I lived at home with my mom.

In that 4 years I developed enough confidence to get me where I am at today.

I now have about 2 clients a year, profit $300,000 after all expenses. Only work when I want too. I never snap a shot that is not my own, I never thought about money. I have shot in 70 countries.

In my spare time, I have published two books, both in publication/print for more than 5 years. Directed 3 feature films and countless TV shows.

I never thought about setting myself apart, I never thought about much of this stuff you are talking about- I was to busy working and creating.

I did make sure that I genuinely got along with people, there are long hours, days, weeks, months that YOU need to spend with people. Chase hit that on the nail.

9. Tom Judge February 10, 2012 at 12:09 pm #

Chase and Ramit – inspiring work – great interview – i have watched it twice and forced my wife to watch it (and she appreciate your knowledge), Thanks for sharing – I went straight out and bought Ramit’s book – much more information in the book that will help fellow photographers in their business and in their day to day finances.

I have been a fan of the Chase Jarvis business model for some years now, and in parallel reading Timothy Ferris’ work which seems similar to Ramit’s – to see the two merging is so relevant to me in my business – i felt compelled to express my Thanks.

I am putting it in to practice this afternoon with a meeting with a new client! Wish me and my Briefcase luck!

Ps – Chase – automate your time and write a book!

Tom Judge

10. Gene Essel February 28, 2012 at 12:33 pm #

I’m crying while watching this video. I have been going at my photography business all wrong.

11. Life Experience Degree April 30, 2012 at 11:10 am #

12. Shawn September 12, 2012 at 10:01 am #

Chase,

You rock. Thanks for always putting out such awesome stuff!

13. sw October 8, 2012 at 1:00 am #

I saw this video via Ramit Sethi’s recent “share.”

You recommend showing your value to a potential client by creating comps for them (ex. taking their layout and putting your photos into it). How do you protect yourself and your photos?

I am a graphic designer, and I have done this — take their photo and text and create a good layout and put it side by side with their bad one

However I’ve gotten screwed this way. The potential client doesn’t hire me but steals my layout and uses it without paying me. Should I copyright my comp before meeting with potential clients? Copyright takes awhile to go through, I’m not sure how workable that would be. And since the photos aren’t mine I’m not sure I can copyright these comps. But I’m sick of having my work stolen in this fashion.

14. trading March 23, 2013 at 7:07 am #

Attractive component of content. I just stumbled upon your site and in accession capital to assert that I get actually enjoyed account your weblog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing on your augment or even I fulfillment you get admission to constantly quickly.|

15. hochzeitsfotosMünchenweddingph March 23, 2013 at 8:39 am #

This post is priceless. When can I find out more?| hochzeitsfotos München wedding photos munich http://www.fotostudioaugenblicke.de

16. Google sucks March 24, 2013 at 11:33 am #

Many thanks for penning this fabulous publish..Cherished your articles or blog posts. Remember to do maintain writing

17. asay.com.tr June 7, 2013 at 8:05 am #

Hi there, just wanted to say, I loved this blog post. It was inspiring. Keep on posting!

1. Friday favorites » Life As It Is | The Life and Times of a Louisiana Photojournalist - December 23, 2011

[...] Some best business advice for creatives from Ramit Sethi is solid. [...]

2. 10 New Year’s Resolutions Every Photographer Should Make | pixelcoma - December 30, 2011

[...] for fewer high paying gigs instead of many small jobs. For an idea on how to get there watch this exciting episode of Chase Jarvis’ show with Ramit Sethi.  A healthy work-life balance is what to aim for on the road to [...]

3. 3 awesome resources on the business of photography « The humanitarian and cultural photography of Atlanta-based assignment photographer Joe Murray - January 6, 2012

[...] Chase Jarvis Interview with Ramit Sethi: This is a great video offering some can’t miss business advice for Photographers and other creatives. I won’t say more than that….just take my word for it and watch the video! [...]

4. How to Choose Your Customers | Launch Thought - April 30, 2012

[...] did an incredible segment on how to earn a living as a creative professional. You should definitely check it out. Short URL 0 [...]

5. Business Essentials for Creative Entrepreneurs with Ramit Sethi on creative LIVE | Chase Jarvis Blog - October 17, 2012

[...] One of the most popular cjLIVEs last year was the Ramit Sethi episode. More that 25,000 people watched the 60 min live broadcast from 100+ countries, another 100,000 hit [...]

6. When Are You Ready For An Art Show? | - November 13, 2012

[...] then, I attended a live show on how creatives can make money with their craft. My take-away lesson was that I just needed to [...]

7. Business Essentials for Creative Entrepreneurs with Ramit Sethi | FREE Download All Tutorials,Business Course - April 7, 2014

8. Learn how to Cost What You’re Value — Which is three to 10x Extra Than You’re Getting At the moment [with Ramit Sethi] | TiaMart Blog - August 6, 2014

[...] with my enterprise chops than anybody else) get to the place we have to be. He’s been on #cjLIVE before and he’s also shared some thoughts on raising [...]