The Next Time You Have A Great Idea…

[Btw, the irony of this note is not lost on me...]

—-

[I'm starting to more regularly post these little notes I scribble out--little journal notes to myself that I'm making public. If you like them, please let me know here, G+ or Twitter. I write them using Amazing Type-writer app for iPhone.]

37 Responses to The Next Time You Have A Great Idea…

1. Will Mcgregor January 7, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

I’ve been loving that little app, love the words more :) thanks dude

2. Amy January 7, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

Yes, please keep them coming! What an inspiring message. Thanks!

3. Malixe January 7, 2012 at 6:20 pm #

Only problem is that if you have more than one great idea at a time? Might be kind of tough to do them all once. Better go ahead and write them down…too.

4. Krista January 7, 2012 at 6:24 pm #

Great thanks for the new inspiration !

5. Willie Dalton January 7, 2012 at 6:27 pm #

mega dig this, mr. c

6. Tony Rath January 7, 2012 at 6:35 pm #

Great idea Chase, look forward to more.

7. Jim January 7, 2012 at 6:53 pm #

I have an head full of ideas but no moolah to carry them out. Any ideas?

• jay January 7, 2012 at 9:10 pm #

Go ahead and follow through with them on paper. If everything works out well and you can prove it, an investor will bite.

8. Aaron @ Become A Photographer January 7, 2012 at 7:40 pm #

Love these tips, Chase! Keep ‘em coming!

9. Cuiinary Fool January 7, 2012 at 8:02 pm #

These little snippets are kind of the iphone photo of the blogging world – pretty straghtforward, yet it takes thought to do them right. I think they are part of your evolution. ;-)

10. Jan Oscarsson January 7, 2012 at 8:05 pm #

That’s rigth! Grab the bull by it’s horns…

11. Dainius January 7, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

Love open ideas, Mr. Chase!

12. Mervan Ayberk January 8, 2012 at 2:32 am #

So true! Writing down the real good ideas in a way kills them!

Push yourself to start them.. You will see that if the concept was good enough it naturally evolves in itself.. If it doesnt you still will get something out of it. So it always ends up as a win-win situation..

13. Girish January 8, 2012 at 4:38 am #

What a good time for this post to come. Recently, I have been moving and trying a lot of video with my 550D and I am stunned with what the moving imagery can do.

You have some great posts about photography – tips – work – projects – how tos. Can we have one on the basics of video with dslrs. How to get stable shots like panning, kind of left to right movement etc. What projects can one start as a learning process.

I would really glad if you could get a post for the above.

Thanks,
    Girish.

14. Jiri Malcharek January 8, 2012 at 6:17 am #

agreed

15. Trevor Johnston January 8, 2012 at 6:46 am #

Chase,
    Reminds me very much of a piece of advice I’ve seen for aspiring writers — “Don’t aspire. Write.” Same message. Different words.
    Cheers,
    Trev J.

16. John Glynn January 8, 2012 at 9:57 am #

I think write down all ideas or they are gone in a heartbeat. Love that app – reminded me of my Grandad and inspired me to write a poem! Have shared the link back to here. http://www.johndglynn.com/blogging-is-life-fun-iphone-poetry

17. Kristina Juarbe January 8, 2012 at 4:54 pm #

haha Awesome!

18. RobyFabro January 8, 2012 at 9:42 pm #

Absolutely, especially if you have the tendency to loose the paper you write your notes on;).

19. Ivan Aguillon January 9, 2012 at 7:35 pm #

An idea that is developed and put into action is more important than idea that exists only as an idea.

20. eddiebaba January 9, 2012 at 11:54 pm #

Go old school and use a #2 pencil and paper to draw out your visualazations, along with your notes.

21. Scott January 10, 2012 at 2:42 am #

The note is not ironic. I think in this case what you have written down constitutes the idea.

22. David G. January 10, 2012 at 6:40 am #

Taking action on ideas is always a great idea!

23. Jon January 10, 2012 at 9:09 am #

brb… gonna go shoot that alpine touring short film i’ve been dreaming of for the last …. year.

24. Nabila January 10, 2012 at 10:10 am #

Hi Mr. Jarvis, do you teach somewhere? i would very much like to learn from you

25. DanielKphoto January 10, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

Beautiful quote Chase, I definitely agree and it’s something I have to work on really hard. Little notes like this on your blog definitely push me to do such things and without you, I wouldn’t be anywhere close to where I am right now in photography. I still have a very long way to go though, but I love going down that way and you’re helping me along the way. Thanks for that in all you posts and vids! You’re a true god man.

26. Scott January 10, 2012 at 2:10 pm #

Of course, if your great idea is to murder the old moneylender to check that you’re superhuman and above the immorality of such an act, then perhaps best to just write it down

27. The Shades of Grey | Elal January 24, 2012 at 12:05 pm #

Very true! I have loads of things in mind that I just don’t know where to start. So might as well start doing than merely fabricating it in my mind. :D

28. seo January 31, 2012 at 9:25 am #

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with a few pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is wonderful blog. A fantastic read. I’ll definitely be back.

29. Cris March 16, 2013 at 1:43 pm #

Unquestionably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the net the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people think about worries that they just do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

30. Savi April 22, 2014 at 10:31 am #

I don’t EVEN write down my ideas…so HAH, I win?!

1. Blogging is Life: Fun iPhone Poetry — John Glynn's Classic Porsche Blog - January 8, 2012

[...] you. It’s called The Amazing Type-Writer and costs £1.49. I downloaded it this morning after a recommendation on the Chase Jarvis blog and I love it – immediately inspired me to write the poem at the [...]

2. ele in hbg + new series – JAMES RASP PHOTOGRAPHY + VIDEO BLOG , Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC - January 9, 2012

[...] Jarvis posted a great blog last week that made me think,  “The next time you have a great idea, don’t write it down. [...]

3. ‘The Next Time You Have A Great Idea, Don’t Write It Down’ | Lifehacker Australia - January 11, 2012

[...] The next time you have a great idea [Chase Jarvis] quotablesmotivationproductivityau  Discuss  Share  Tweet  Email  More get_count_post('http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2012/01/the-next-time-you-have-a-great-idea-dont-write-it-down/','post-412850'); « Previous post [...]

4. Required Reading 1.13.2012 | Luke Copping Photography - Blog - January 12, 2012

[...] A little irony from Chase Jarvis might be just what you need to actually get off your butt and make that dream project happen today. | The Next Time You Have  A Great Idea [...]

5. BEST PHOTO EVER – JAMES RASP PHOTOGRAPHY + VIDEO BLOG , Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC - January 25, 2012

[...] sitting in the studio this morning I glanced at a note I printed from Chase Jarvis blog, that said “The next time you have a great idea, don’t write it down. Just do your great idea.”    An idea struck to go for a random drive and shoot whatever makes me smile, so I called my dad [...]

6. SOMETHING SIMPLY SPECIAL SUNDAYS PART TEN » Claudia Rose Carter Photography Blog - April 22, 2012

[...] The Next Time You Have A Great Idea [...]